Surrender memoire setlist....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was finished, the issue was that it was always planned for a theatre release (mirroring rattle and hum, but also because it wasn’t just a live show). Covid hit, dates kept sliding and all of a sudden it made less sense to release a film about the 30th anniversary of a 34 year old album. Of course there’s no rules saying they can’t, and I hope they go back to it at some stage.

In an Irish Times interview he talks about an Achtung something, "not a tour", but something.

Not sure how I feel about that version of WOWY. Parts of it are beautiful and he sounds great, but there's a little too much EDM creeping in for my liking.

For those so inclined there is an audience recording of the New York show on u2start. Sounds quality seems ok, not great. Will listen later.

In an Irish Times interview he talks about an Achtung something, "not a tour", but something.

Not sure how I feel about that version of WOWY. Parts of it are beautiful and he sounds great, but there's a little too much EDM creeping in for my liking.

That seems to the about the rumoured Las Vegas shows which will be focused on AB.

I love that arrangement of WOWY - I’m even more excited about seeing this show live now. Although I still don’t get Vertigo in this sort of show.

I was lucky enough to go to this event. When I lived in NYC I never made it into anything small like this like Irving or Letterman, I move to CT and I get a ticket to one of the hardest events ever. Go figure.

It was AMAZING. A little too artsy fartsy for I think for some of the audience, but most of us were U2 Die Hards who would watch Bono do anything. Irony was the guy I sat next too said he just found out he loved U2 1.5 years ago and he's 41... and first time seeing any performance of course so that was cool to find an older newer fan who is still 30 years younger than most fans there.

At one point i moved to the end of my row where 2 empty seats, also one in front of me. Sad to see of course.

Here is what the show is. He performed withe 3 musicians one of them Jacknife Lee.

That brought a tear to my eye

That seems to the about the rumoured Las Vegas shows which will be focused on AB.

I love that arrangement of WOWY - I’m even more excited about seeing this show live now. Although I still don’t get Vertigo in this sort of show.

WOWY arrangement is beautiful.

As is the rest of this show!

Vertigo works because the first run through COBL is kind of an intro to the type of storytelling format the show will follow. WOWY, we've all seen on Colbert. Vertigo gives him a chance to do a more traditional rock show type intro and have some fun before we settle down for the first long format story/song that is WOWY.

Looking at the setlist, Vertigo is a head scratcher where it is. See it in person, makes perfect sense.

I was lucky enough to see it in Boston. I'm as die hard as my aunt, who scored 3 tickets. However, I have to say, between the prices and the work it took to get these tickets, my initial thought when they went on sale was "I really don't need to go!" Just wasn't looking to spend the time or money when we've got the machine gearing up for real U2 shows pretty damn soon.

I don't care about audience recordings or anything else, anyone who went and has reviewed has had the same feeling as me. It was absolutely amazing! Bono's voice blew me away, and I still have high expectations/don't think he's lost it like some do. Highlights were WOWY, Streets. SBS and BD.

However, the "oh sister, I can't let you go...." part of Desire was the most impressive part of his singing all night! It was powerful and smooth.

Bono is sounding absolutely amazing and just like the book, clearly threw his heart and soul into this. Even after seeing this show, I'm much more excited for Vegas and what's next for U2 than I would be to see this show again.

However, any criticisms of this show or project as lazy or uninspired make zero sense. I'm greatly enjoying this little bridge era of U2 for what it is. For me, that's a way to put a cap on the "Songs of" era for now and continue to celebrate the back catalogue (Vegas with AB).

While we're at it, Bono for sure but also Edge, Larry and Adam become comfortable enough with where they are in their lives and careers to not chase relevancy or censor themselves to fit in with a scene that's largely moved on.

I don't think Bono was ever "not himself" over the years. Rather, I think he's relaxed and found a way of presenting his humble, human side to people in a way that's easier to understand.

Of course, they're the kings of filming stuff that doesn't see the light of day (Anton Corbijn's Heartland, anyone?).

Between that and the way they buried his Linear movie, I'd be surprised if he's still talking to them

Thought I posted this earlier... Must have had bad WiFi, anyway, Chicago show last night, TOTALLY WORTH IT. And I flew in from Arizona the night of on a red eye, flying out today. While it's not a full U2 show I'd love a release of some of the stripped down versions of those songs. Super happy I went. But definitely hope we all get a chance to see the four of them live together again soon.

I've kind of lost track of the different threads we're discussing this in at the moment, but the Glasgow show was incredible. Bono is on top form and its kind of a shame the band aren't going straight out on the road after this because his voice is sounding as good as it has done in a long time.

The arrangements and accompaniment were brilliant - WOWY above gives you the idea about how the other sounds sounded, but was a really interesting direction compared to what he could have done by just making them acoustic versions.

Very unique, feel privileged to have seen it tbh.

Amazingly, despite the (at least) 4 emails I had from organisers leading-up to the show this week, a few people around me had phones and in one case a tablet with them in the auditorium and all kicked up a fuss when told they had to put them in one of the Yondr wallets or risk being ejected. It was definitely refreshing not seeing a single phone screen being held up for the entire show.

The write up on u2gigs is ridiculous talking about an ‘unfortunate security incident’. If Bono disapproved so much I highly doubt he would have spent as long as he did signing the book with a drawing, he would have either ignored him or if it was about not looking bad could have done a very quick signature. Maybe u2gigs wants to discourage others from doing the same thing but let’s not turn it into something it’s not, he never even wanted ‘on’ the stage he went up to the front stage with his book in hand. Hardly a ‘security incident’. Bono didn’t seem unhappy at all, didn’t want to encourage it in general for obvious reasons but certainly didn’t seem annoyed or anything.

So what did Bono draw in your book?

T8BznPq.png

Surely you saw that...coming.

So what did Bono draw in your book?
My book was at home, on my mates book though he drew what I’m guessing was supposed to be my mate. It’s on Twitter Jamie Skelton his name is. Bono even shook his hand just to make more of a mockery of the ‘Bono not being happy’ nonsense on u2gigs.

My book was at home, on my mates book though he drew what I’m guessing was supposed to be my mate. It’s on Twitter Jamie Skelton his name is. Bono even shook his hand just to make more of a mockery of the ‘Bono not being happy’ nonsense on u2gigs.
So, yea... that's a bit of a dick move by your "mate" then.

In the opinion of pretty much everyone who has mentioned the incident other than the two people who were involved in the incident, ironically enough.
Funny that because after the show I seen many people saying good on him and seeming happy for him. He asked for a book signature he didn’t shoot anyone. I think some people need to lighten up a bit. I don’t know what you mean by ‘involved in’ either. Bono, Jamie and the security guards were the people involved. Jamie was sitting next to 3 other people I know while me and my dad were seated together a good dozen rows back roughly.

The juxtaposition of your stance on someone deciding to simply go to a concert vs a friend rushing the stage for an autograph is staggering.

Well done.
Haha, I’m glad you brought that up I was going to say it’s incredible how far you were willing to go to defend fans who attend the concert of someone accused of sexual assault vs a guy simply going up to the stage with a book for an autograph. Just shows how different our minds work staggering indeed, I’m far more comfortable with my stance, it’s laughable that you’d even suggest going to the stage for an autograph is worse.

Your mate did it in a natural break as one bit came to an end…. Bono took it well, but it still interrupted the flow of the evening, as did many of the shouts to Bono during the night which seemed out of place for the sort of show it was. Just my opinion, which seemed to be shared by those around me, but its just that, an opinion.

No matter the impact, how it was taken etc - asking a performer to sign something while the show is on/they are on stage - not the best. Is it a major crime? No. Balance required from all sides here.

Two things to add though - parties to the act, or parties likely to be sympathetic probably don’t have the most objective view of the impact. Also, the main concern isn’t just the selfishness (though that bit isn’t wonderful) it’s about the precedent it sets, which is an entirely valid concern to raise.

this dude is my favourite new poster in a long while. Reminding me that whilst I often get nostalgic for the old times on this site, a lot of the old times contained excruciating back-and-forth semantic discussions that make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Yeah, Bono shaking his hand doesn't mean he was happy about it. Did U2 gigs get wrong the part of the write up where they said "he made clear in his dialogue that it was not an appropriate time to ask for an autograph" (?).

They may have, but I have found that site to be extraordinarily reliable over the years. They've never reported inaccurately on any of the 16 shows I've attended.

Bono is a professional who HAS to be good at defusing these kinds of incidents without looking like an asshole or affecting anyone else's enjoyment of the show.

I agree with what dan smee said. Not a crime or the worst thing to do, but still NOT a good move by any means!

I read your mate Jamie's little clarification that it was "youthful hijinx" and then he somehow justified it by saying it's a "rare opportunity with such a mega star"

Doesn't matter. Just because someone is given a rare opportunity doesn't mean it's right to break etiquette or interrupt a show.

I actually worked concert security for years in Boston (2006-2011) . Including for 3 U2 shows (Somerville theatre 2009 and both Gillette stadium shows later that year). I was given the even more rare opportunity of working at the entrance all 4 band members came through in Somerville. Then being sent backstage for a bit where I met all 4 of them.

Since I was working, I kept it professional and talked about the city, etc and let them guide the conversation. I didn't find it appropriate to say I was super fan and certainly wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to sign anything. I had to read the situation. Bono and Edge wanted to go on a bit about their love for Boston, history with it over the years, etc. So we talked more. Adam was beyond cool and friendly but seemed tired. Larry had time for "how are you, it's a raw, rainy day isn't it?" and then moved on not to be seen again until show time.

If I had broken the rules and taken the "rare opportunity" what would have happened? I have no doubt they would have all been polite and gracious, diffused the awkwardness as best as they could. They are true down to Earth people and professionals. So no trouble there. Then I probably would have either lost my minimum wage job (who cares, would've gotten another one) or kept it but been placed on the perimeter watching tour buses and breathing fumes for the remainder of my time there . Oh, and never would've gotten near a big name, super star show again. We're not going to give this guy a chance to step in front of Madonna or Mariah Carey or someone else who will actually get pissed and make a big deal of it! Also, who cares? I had seen enough of those big shows by that time.

Point is, I didn't do any of that because I get how to act and what's appropriate and what isn't.

I also don't see how those rules suddenly fly out the window because you are in the rare situation of being a couple feet from Bono in an intimate setting.

Not directed to your friend, just in general, I thought the relative few in Boston who were screaming, yelling , etc to be obnoxious and they can detract from a show in such a small setting. It was pretty damn clear this wasn't "Streets" in a stadium or "I Will Follow" at the Roxy. These were all people well into adulthood, too! It blew my mind. Save the jumping around and screaming for when the start of "Zoo Station" shakes the sphere in a few months!

Last edited:
Bono literally said ‘I don’t know if this is the right time but…’. As I said earlier I’m sure he wasn’t keen on it becoming a regular occurrence, but in no way did he seem upset or unhappy about it at all. He just took the book, drew a picture, signed it, asked my mates name even to put that in there, shook his hand. To say he was unhappy is just a complete nonsense, whether we agree or disagree on if it was right or not is a different matter but Bono just got on with it neither up nor down, so it was false/inaccurate reporting.

Back
Top Bottom