Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I never saw the Rose Bowl webcast since I'd gone to see U2 in Vancouver and was already on vacation and out to dinner with a friend in Seattle when it was on. :reject: And I never got to download the boot. So I am watching it now. Initial observations...didn't realize Mysterious Ways was so early in the set, and 2) Bono said GET UP OFF YOUR FAT ASS?? :lol:

OK, so I never saw the Rose Bowl webcast since I'd gone to see U2 in Vancouver and was already on vacation and out to dinner with a friend in Seattle when it was on. :reject: And I never got to download the boot. So I am watching it now. Initial observations...didn't realize Mysterious Ways was so early in the set, and 2) Bono said GET UP OFF YOUR FAT ASS?? :lol:

He said it during some of the European shows too. ( I heard it on a youtube clip. I believe it was in England.

Hilarious!

Hehe...actually looking back at setlists I did see MW in 4th at 2 of the 3 shows I went to in the 2nd leg, my memory is going... :D I would have remembered if he said Get off your fat ass at them though. :lol:

Hmmmmm wasn't Vancouver after the Rose Bowl?

I got it tonight (the 2 disc set for $13.99, a mistake, I'm positive!) and for now, let's just say that it surpassed my expectations, and probably moved up past all the other dvds to being barely second place, behind Slane.

Frankly, considering the production, this release is not as impressive in terms of direction/editing *or* a/v quality as it could or really should have been.

The footage quality is all over the map depending on camera angles. When band members are filmed in decent lighting conditions fairly close up, the footage looks sharp. However, for the most part it's often quite dark with a lot of black crush on mid to long shots, no doubt to obscure grain due to the poor lighting conditions. Some long shots and especially overhead footage shot from the helicopter of the stadium are extremely rough looking for HD quality.

I do prefer some of the direction over U2's recent concert releases. There's a bit less of the rapid jump cutting and some shots are very well composed, such as shots of Adam in the near foreground with Bono in the background on one of the catwalks.

IMO, the home video audio mix lacks a truly "live" feel. There's very little crowd noise mixed in (although to be fair, this was a very sedate stadium audience most of the show) so it has a very disconnected feel to it. Of the audio options, the DTS track is by far the best option. I find most of U2's home video concert releases, especially from the past two tours to be vastly superior as far as more accurately presenting what it looks and *sounds* like at a U2 show.

I was at this show, my 24th U2 show dating back to the Boy tour in '81. I've also heard the original unedited raw IEM mixing desk audio from this show which is much more in your face and vital sounding (despite the click tracks and verbal "direction" cues). It's interesting if not surprising what was edited and re-recorded as far as vocals and some instrumentation for this official home video release.

Of all the extras, the "Squaring The Circle" feature is the most interesting viewing. Look sharp for the shots of the challenging setlist they were going by during the rehearsals. The tour opener features are frustrating as they only include portions of several songs played at those shows. And I have to say the footage of New Years Day in Polnad has appallingly bad sound that isn't even mediocre bootleg quality.

IMO, this release, much like the current tour (from a musical standpoint) and their last album pales in comparison to most of their previous home video releases. It's nice that it was released on Blu-ray, but the format's quality potential is virtually wasted, especially on the below average quality bonus footage.

T.B.

Thanks for the review. I'm a terrible judge of audio stuff, but it's too bad the picture couldn't be improved. I'm glad they moved away from the ADD guy who did their first 2 DVDs.

Personally, I don't mind a total lack of crowd noise or feel of being at a live concert, including the moron who couldn't sing but kept doing it during some of the songs. The only respite were the rarities. Screw the audience feel, I say; they actually disrespect the sacredness of a one-time performance in exactly that way by obnoxiously inserting themselves.

Thanks for the review. I'm a terrible judge of audio stuff, but it's too bad the picture couldn't be improved. I'm glad they moved away from the ADD guy who did their first 2 DVDs.

Personally, I don't mind a total lack of crowd noise or feel of being at a live concert, including the moron who couldn't sing but kept doing it during some of the songs. The only respite were the rarities. Screw the audience feel, I say; they actually disrespect the sacredness of a one-time performance in exactly that way by obnoxiously inserting themselves.

At least there were no people audibly woo-hooing on this dvd. That's something, right? :wink:

At least there were no people audibly woo-hooing on this dvd. That's something, right? :wink:

Exactly! I tell ya, even nicely recorded bootlegs can sound better than my concert experiences. It certainly is the case for Radiohead, who play far too softly.

I wish Canadians were more subdued. Classical music and opera concerts are best when the audience is restrained and I don't know how we got to this place at which you're not a fan if you don't create a ruckus.

At my first concert, I spent all my time trying to prove to the Cure that I loved them that I couldn't enjoy the specialness of those performances, and I got all upset that others weren't as "into it" as me. I could barely remember anything but a list of the songs when I got home.

I love letting the music wash over me and hear all the little changes. I think it's only right that people allow everyone the opportunity to do so. I find it's usually a tiny minority who create a ton of noise and ruin it for the rest, but people think it's wrong to complain. It's really the most cliche thing to scream and yell during songs and I really think people do it because they're trying to be cool or get noticed or because they think they should.

Pop performers play a role in this, wrongly thinking an audience isn't enjoying a show because they're quiet. Radiohead doesn't think this. I was quite during Ultra Violet, but I was crying because it meant so much to me and I never ever thought I'd hear it; I think that if Bono and co realized that, they'd be happier they were triggering that emotion in me, rather than fist pumping. I was so happy most of the people around me were clueless and there was so much quiet. Concerts are so much more special to me than parties.

The biggest hypocrite is Robert Smith of The Cure; he makes you feel bad for not singing along, but the guy rarely ever moved during his performances because he was being himself and now I'M SUPPOSED TO FEEL BAD for just wanting to relax?!

I find the only time I enjoy the crowd is during a film when I can hear the audience laugh with me or when we can laugh at something the performer does or says. I felt like that at a Beautiful South concert a few years ago.

I got the two-disc DVD. IMO the audio is great. The audience isn't as audible as it could have been but I want to hear the band not the audience anyway. The video quality is great for the most part. I could have done without a few of the quick cuts.

Also Breathe was till sorely missed at the beginning. Still have no idea why they cut it out. I'm really glad they kept Kingdom/Soon at the beginning. The fact that Breathe is still present in the set makes up for it being cut out though.

The cut short ending was a little annoying. At least they didn't cut off the closing song like PopMart Mexico City did with Wake Up Dead Man.

Overall great concert. Great performance. Good concert video. Bono's vocals weren't the best of the tour but still good. Almost ranks up there with Popmart Mexico. Not quite as good as ZooTV Sydney. A lot better than Vertigo Chicago.

Exactly! I tell ya, even nicely recorded bootlegs can sound better than my concert experiences. It certainly is the case for Radiohead, who play far too softly.

I wish Canadians were more subdued. Classical music and opera concerts are best when the audience is restrained and I don't know how we got to this place at which you're not a fan if you don't create a ruckus.

At my first concert, I spent all my time trying to prove to the Cure that I loved them that I couldn't enjoy the specialness of those performances, and I got all upset that others weren't as "into it" as me. I could barely remember anything but a list of the songs when I got home.

I love letting the music wash over me and hear all the little changes. I think it's only right that people allow everyone the opportunity to do so. I find it's usually a tiny minority who create a ton of noise and ruin it for the rest, but people think it's wrong to complain. It's really the most cliche thing to scream and yell during songs and I really think people do it because they're trying to be cool or get noticed or because they think they should.

Pop performers play a role in this, wrongly thinking an audience isn't enjoying a show because they're quiet. Radiohead doesn't think this. I was quite during Ultra Violet, but I was crying because it meant so much to me and I never ever thought I'd hear it; I think that if Bono and co realized that, they'd be happier they were triggering that emotion in me, rather than fist pumping. I was so happy most of the people around me were clueless and there was so much quiet. Concerts are so much more special to me than parties.

The biggest hypocrite is Robert Smith of The Cure; he makes you feel bad for not singing along, but the guy rarely ever moved during his performances because he was being himself and now I'M SUPPOSED TO FEEL BAD for just wanting to relax?!

I find the only time I enjoy the crowd is during a film when I can hear the audience laugh with me or when we can laugh at something the performer does or says. I felt like that at a Beautiful South concert a few years ago.

As much as the "no-woo-hoos" thing at the Radiohead show amused me (I was at the same show) I actually sort of do empathise with you, if not agree. People at rock concerts have various ways of showing appreciation, and "woo-hooing" is just one of them. I went through a Vertigo tour span of 6 GA shows straight, and just before they started, got very sick with a bad cold. About 3 shows in, I was feeling pretty crappy and exhausted. I still ended up on the rail, but my jumping and "woo-hooing" was pretty much depleted. I was enjoying the show, but in a quiet, chill way. someone behind me decided to criticise me for not jumping like an idiot. Please...like that's the only way I can enjoy a show?

That said, woo-hooing is fairly typical, and I don't think you're going to get away from it at a rock show. :) Mind you, I did see David Gilmour at Massey Hall in '06, and he shushed woo-hooers during a vital part of the show. Maybe you're just following the wrong artists?

Whatever the case, a far longer treatise on concert woo-hooing than I ever expected to write. :wink:

I hope I didn't write myself out of morning Sweetie Milk. Because that shit's goooood.

Frankly, considering the production, this release is not as impressive in terms of direction/editing *or* a/v quality as it could or really should have been.

The footage quality is all over the map depending on camera angles. When band members are filmed in decent lighting conditions fairly close up, the footage looks sharp. However, for the most part it's often quite dark with a lot of black crush on mid to long shots, no doubt to obscure grain due to the poor lighting conditions. Some long shots and especially overhead footage shot from the helicopter of the stadium are extremely rough looking for HD quality.

I do prefer some of the direction over U2's recent concert releases. There's a bit less of the rapid jump cutting and some shots are very well composed, such as shots of Adam in the near foreground with Bono in the background on one of the catwalks.

IMO, the home video audio mix lacks a truly "live" feel. There's very little crowd noise mixed in (although to be fair, this was a very sedate stadium audience most of the show) so it has a very disconnected feel to it. Of the audio options, the DTS track is by far the best option. I find most of U2's home video concert releases, especially from the past two tours to be vastly superior as far as more accurately presenting what it looks and *sounds* like at a U2 show.

I was at this show, my 24th U2 show dating back to the Boy tour in '81. I've also heard the original unedited raw IEM mixing desk audio from this show which is much more in your face and vital sounding (despite the click tracks and verbal "direction" cues). It's interesting if not surprising what was edited and re-recorded as far as vocals and some instrumentation for this official home video release.

Of all the extras, the "Squaring The Circle" feature is the most interesting viewing. Look sharp for the shots of the challenging setlist they were going by during the rehearsals. The tour opener features are frustrating as they only include portions of several songs played at those shows. And I have to say the footage of New Years Day in Polnad has appallingly bad sound that isn't even mediocre bootleg quality.

IMO, this release, much like the current tour (from a musical standpoint) and their last album pales in comparison to most of their previous home video releases. It's nice that it was released on Blu-ray, but the format's quality potential is virtually wasted, especially on the below average quality bonus footage.

T.B.

I was at this show and I have the Youtube DVD, Bono's vocals are definitely retouched significantly.

As for the Blu-Ray, why did they fucking bother ? They could have gotten by with VHS for much of this.

Better extras for sure, but still way too many quick cuts and lots of wasted opportunities as others have mentioned here.

Very disappointing release of a mediocre performance.

The missed the screen expanding during Unforgettable Fire

Missed the lights coming on at the start of COBL, the missed all the colour transitions during COBL and the search lights and came in late for the sparkly white bit.

The editing during Vertigo ruins the light show and the transition from large screen to small screen.

During Crazy there's not one shot of the spire strobing.

Ultraviolet manages to not to have one shot showing the mirrorball at the top of the spire during the end of the song.

So many missed opportunities with the claw and to be honest most of the missed shots were missed for pretty mundane actions. I'm not a fan of the quick cut and this dvd is largely missing it (except for Boots and Vertigo) but some of the shots linger on when more interesting things are happening.

Lights at the start of COBL may not have been shown due to the singer sprinting around the ellipse. I'd much rather see things like that than the Claw.

Vertigo is awful, as stated by others as well.

Crazy is well shot; enough of the Claw/screen and the band, in particular one of the highlights of the DVD at the climax when Bono's going crazy and Larry switches on full drums and the Claw lights up.

eta: There are shots of the spire in UV, several times...
:shrug:

I for one would love to see more screen action on Zoo TV/Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo DVDs but you can't have it all...

Eh, I can pop in an Elevation DVD and watch Bono do a lap around the stage if I need to see that. :wink:

I am physicially incapable of NOT singing along and jumping around (in GA, anyway) at a U2 concert.

So you're forewarned if you're standing near me. :wink:

Vertigo is awful, as stated by others as well.

I love the DVD version of Vertigo.

The only "awful" thing, IMO, about the release is the laid-back audience but I just decided to concentrate on the band and the performance.

I think it's a very good release with nice bonus features, especially for those who don't know the U2.com clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom