Rating Rate the Song Threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be the only who thinks they are cluttering the message board...

My opinion is that there should only be one at a time. That would make them more significant and worthwhile.

But then our tributes to U2 would be infrequent and Bono would crush us with his mighty hand.

Yeah, what about them?

Ah, I'm answering your question...

Those are examples of "what else there is to talk about"...

Personally, I would rather be able to focus on those threads instead of half the page being "rate the song" threads...and have there be only one song poll at a time.

No disrespect to anyone involved in those polls, but the number of them is interfering with interference!

Then use the ignore function on the threads.

or...start a thread about the subject to see if others also feel that they are hindering the message board...for the greater good of the site.

If I am the only one (or in the minority), than that could be a legitimate option in theory.

The reality, for me, however, is that I have simply been coming here a lot less and enjoying this board a lot less.

for the greater good of the site.

How noble!

Obviously, other people are enjoying them, since people are participating. There are options and tools to help you skip past the stuff you feel is cluttering the forum. If you ignore those threads, they won't show up for you when you click on the subforum, and you can happily go about your merry way in the threads you do care about.

I am coming to realize that starting this thread might be disrespectful to digitize and all of his hard work and that is not my intent...

My thoughts are that we could do less at one time perhaps so not only would it be more feasible to focus on that particular thread as well as the other threads that are getting cluttered IMO.

Just to clarify my position as I don't want to be crude as I am sure those polls take time and effort which is appreciated and respected.

Ah, I'm answering your question...

Those are examples of "what else there is to talk about"...

Personally, I would rather be able to focus on those threads instead of half the page being "rate the song" threads...and have there be only one song poll at a time.

No disrespect to anyone involved in those polls, but the number of them is interfering with interference!

I'm sorry, I just don't really see the difference in quality, personally.

On the other hand, the more that go on at one time, the quicker the whole thing will be over.

How noble!

Obviously, other people are enjoying them, since people are participating. There are options and tools to help you skip past the stuff you feel is cluttering the forum. If you ignore those threads, they won't show up for you when you click on the subforum, and you can happily go about your merry way in the threads you do care about.

How sarcastic!

It's OK - I'm sarcastic too at times ;]

Frankly I'm surprised that no one else thinks that having half of the threads (or close to it) be these polls is a bit much and detracting from the other threads (and the diversity of the subject matter relating to U2 that shows on the first page of the EYKIW board.)

Is it really that unusual to consider that others might also dislike having the potential diversity of the subject matter on the first page be (approximately) cut in half?

bono_212 said:
I'm sorry, I just don't really see the difference in quality, personally.

I don't know, I'd rather talk about Bono's hair plugs or Morrissey referencing U2 by referencing Lou Reed. Or back surgery. Or a YouTube comment saying "u2 sux".

The threads are creating good discussion. :)

Ding DIng Ding. This is just flying by.

No need to ASSume that that concept is lost on me...

Your argument does not make a lot of sense for me, however...

I don't want the message board nearly ruined for me for any length of time.

I am a blue crack addict.

If you were an addict, you'd know that this part of the forum is usually dead this time in the album cycle, and that it's better to just stay out of it to begin with and focus on all of the quality discussion happening other places.

ASSuming you know that there are other forums on the board, of course.

You could also use the forum tools to your advantage to ignore any threads that bother you, rather than let things ruin your experience.

When I didn't post new rating threads for nearly a week (a period that ended only a few days ago), EYKIW went practically dead. I don't mean to sound really self-righteous, though, and I am willing to perhaps reduce the number of polls open at once if that's what Interference would like, though I would have to have the polls be open for just as long as all the other polls have been for the sake of fairness, which would massively slow down the pace of the contest. But obviously, if that's what's better, I would rather slow down the contest than hurt the forum. I've also always been open to the idea of, say, making a subforum of EYKIW for song-rating threads, but the administrative team are opposed to that idea for reasons that I think are perfectly valid, especially considering the dearth of discussion in this forum otherwise. Other threads are being made, but not a very fast rate. I do, however, regret having so many threads open at once for the late 80s non-album songs. I should have just kicked some songs despite the fact that people were asking for them, or had another round or two of voting on those songs. The latter seems somewhat absurd to me, because those songs ended up having relatively few votes anyway, but maybe it would have been best. I'm not sure.

If you were an addict, you'd know that this part of the forum is usually dead this time in the album cycle, and that it's better to just stay out of it to begin with and focus on all of the quality discussion happening other places.

ASSuming you know that there are other forums on the board, of course.

You sure like to ASSume!

That statement proves my point. With less immediate news to talk about, why should the diversity of subject matter on the first page be cut in half? It makes more sense to protect that diversity in these times and not further dilute it.

Maybe you're just arguing for the sake of being argumentative.

Do you have any position either way or are you just being an irritant?

What is your opinion on the matter apart from browbeating me?

Hearing people bitch about the rate the song threads is growing far more tiresome than exerting the force of a couple of clicks to scan down the page (to see absolutely nothing of interest).

Like death, taxes, and those obnoxious movies that broadly parody pop culture of the previous 6 months, rate the song threads aren't going anywhere. As Cori mentioned, someone already tried to move them, and the mods chose in favor of Digitize's plan. If you want to contribute something to the forum, please contribute to these threads, a very real part of its existence for the time being.

Oh, and pray for a new album. Sacrifice animals if you have to.

When I didn't post new rating threads for nearly a week (a period that ended only a few days ago), EYKIW went practically dead. I don't mean to sound really self-righteous, though, and I am willing to perhaps reduce the number of polls open at once if that's what Interference would like, though I would have to have the polls be open for just as long as all the other polls have been for the sake of fairness, which would massively slow down the pace of the contest. But obviously, if that's what's better, I would rather slow down the contest than hurt the forum. I've also always been open to the idea of, say, making a subforum of EYKIW for song-rating threads, but the administrative team are opposed to that idea for reasons that I think are perfectly valid, especially considering the dearth of discussion in this forum otherwise. Other threads are being made, but not a very fast rate. I do, however, regret having so many threads open at once for the late 80s non-album songs. I should have just kicked some songs despite the fact that people were asking for them, or had another round or two of voting on those songs. The latter seems somewhat absurd to me, because those songs ended up having relatively few votes anyway, but maybe it would have been best. I'm not sure.

Thanks so much for your effort. For the record, I used to love these threads when there were less at one time.

Also, I realize that it is easy for me to be an armchair quarterback when you are the one doing all the work.

Thanks again and also for not taking offense to this thread as it was / is not intended as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom