Are these autographs legit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealThing89

Babyface
Hi guys this is my 1st post on here.

I have recently purchased a signed "Best of 1980-1990" CD off E-Bay signed by all 4 members of the Band, I did do a comparison of the autographs on other websites to see if they were legit and the signatures did match.

But for my own piece of mind could someone tell me if they are legit?

Here is a picture

391120_133895133379554_100002772048028_113538_1507015472_n.jpg

TheRealThing89 said:
Hi guys this is my 1st post on here.

I have recently purchased a signed "Best of 1980-1990" CD off E-Bay signed by all 4 members of the Band, I did do a comparison of the autographs on other websites to see if they were legit and the signatures did match.

But for my own piece of mind could someone tell me if they are legit?

Here is a picture

Impossible to say... I'd only buy stuff like that with a COA.

The Edge and Larry ones could be, can't really see it. But that Bono signature looks really off. And I don't think Adam's autograph is that squiggly.

I think it was U2brother who had a good comparison site for U2 autographs. Maybe he can help.

The Edge and Larry ones could be, can't really see it. But that Bono signature looks really off. And I don't think Adam's autograph is that squiggly.

I think it was U2brother who had a good comparison site for U2 autographs. Maybe he can help.

I've seen Bono change his signature a few times if you look up different signed U2 items it's usually a different signature everytime, well from what I've seen anyway.

I've seen Bono change his signature a few times if you look up different signed U2 items it's usually a different signature everytime, well from what I've seen anyway.

That's very true, but they always are in the same way. The thing with autographs is that they're always similar, but never the same. I don't think I've ever seen a Bono signature that had the O this big compared to the rest. But I'll happily be proven wrong, ofcourse. :)

That's very true, but they always are in the same way. The thing with autographs is that they're always similar, but never the same. I don't think I've ever seen a Bono signature that had the O this big compared to the rest. But I'll happily be proven wrong, ofcourse. :)

When I was showing the CD to my Mum/friends they said his signature looks a bit like a love heart. Knowing Bono that wouldn't really surprise me since he's a extremely warm and nice guy but yeah it is a bit like a love heart actually come to think of it :).

I'd say these are fakes. They're way too neat for an autographed item, nicely in the corners, etc. The autographs are also pretty small, as if every band member had plenty of time to sign it (if they even did).

I am not very convinced how they are perfectly in the corners of the white part of the cd. It's... too perfect. Whenever people get stuff signed it's usually in a random spot. Heck, Edge even signed my setlist upside down!

I suppose it depends on when it was signed. Were they in a rush when they signed it? Was it signed at the same time, etc.
Comparing it to mine, the only things that seem similar is the "B" and the "E".

I'd say these are fakes. They're way too neat for an autographed item, nicely in the corners, etc. The autographs are also pretty small, as if every band member had plenty of time to sign it (if they even did).

The seller said in the item description that they got the CD signed at a Concert at the SECC in Glasgow in 2001.

I also used this picture to do a comparison and they all matched and it was just a google search I typed in "U2 Autographs"

If you compare it to the CD they all match perfectly except the Bono one

U2 Autographed 8x10 Photograph Bono The Joshua Tree No Line On the Horizon SOS-U21

Here is a picture

391120_133895133379554_100002772048028_113538_1507015472_n.jpg

The autographs in the pic you posted look 'off'.

As for only buying when it has a COA... In many cases, a Certificate of Authenticity aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Best way to know they are real is to get the signatures yourself. I know, easier said than done.

But better to meet them and know the signatures are real instead of paying out some of your 'hard earned' to find out that they are not real.

These (below) ARE real. I got them from the band members myself... And Bono stole my sharpie both times! (Common occurance)

Adam Clayton (2005):
Adam_Clayton-Best_of_1990_to_2000.jpg

Bono & Edge (2005):
l_215780daada88d24af87c699be24553e.jpg

Bono (1997):
l_cc4f457b79e660ca20381878e4e71073.jpg

Daniel Lanois (2003):
l_bb7c41eb4465d8c479ab534f07a49d19.jpg

Alot of Certificate of Authenticity aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Best way to know they are real is to get the signatures yourself. I know, easier said than done.

But better to meet them and know the signatures are real instead of paying out some of your 'hard earned' to find out that they are not real.

Yes I agree I was very iffy about bidding on the item incase they were frauds or forged autographs. I do have autographs I've met Brian May from Queen 3 times and got his autograph on two Queen albums and even a picture with him so I know those are real. But as for this go out on a limb and say they are legit just going by the comparaison in the link i posted in my previous post

Yes I agree I was very iffy about bidding on the item incase they were frauds or forged autographs. I do have autographs I've met Brian May from Queen 3 times and got his autograph on two Queen albums and even a picture with him so I know those are real. But as for this go out on a limb and say they are legit just going by the comparaison in the link i posted in my previous post

The "A" in Adam looks different in the original pic posted. Same for the "B" in Bono.

Unfortunately, I think the autographs are suspect.

Can I be rude and ask how much you paid?

Since it was an auction I only paid about £54 for them. but if you look at the link on one of my previous posts on the topic and do a comparison with the CD the signatures do match perfectly but as i said earlier except the Bono one for some reason. but going by that comparison and also other signed items I views on-line I would say they are legit but then again I probably would lol

Since it was an auction I only paid about £54 for them. but if you look at the link on one of my previous posts on the topic and do a comparison with the CD the signatures do match perfectly but as i said earlier except the Bono one for some reason. but going by that comparison and also other signed items I views on-line I would say they are legit but then again I probably would lol

I respectfully disagree. No disrespect but... Aspects look similar but the Adam and Bono signatures seem off.

I respectfully disagree. No disrespect but... Aspects look similar but the Adam and Bono signatures seem off.

Is Edge's Autograph legit? we already have a conformation that Larry's is real, but I think Bonos is gonna be a debate lol and Adams I'm not too sure about

i have no idea what all the band's signatures are like, but just from looking at that cd, i would say the Edge, Adam and Bono signatures have been done by the same hand - same thickness, spacing, size and weird loopy style... plus they're way too neat and orderly... bad luck!

Don't let people bring you down, I'd just give the presumption that these are probably legit unless definitively proven otherwise. I promise you that if you put four verified signatures up on here signed by the band in front you there would be people on here who would say they weren't legit and that the second "r" in Larry isn't how he usually signs. I sign my name differently almost every time...small, and even large, variations in the signature can mean nothing and that's why real experts are paid to analyse signatures.

Having said that, if anyone around here is an quasi-expert on U2 sigs, it's U2Brother, I'd PM him. There's another guy who collects Fly shades and met Edge (had a great post a while back about meeting him), I believe he's a good source on the legitimacy of this stuff as well. Can't remember his name though.

Otherwise, since apparently there's no way to prove it one way or another, I'd just enjoy your memorabilia and not worry about what the CSI wanna be forensic handwriting experts around here are telling you.

Don't let people bring you down, these are probably legit. I promise you that if you put four verified signatures up on here signed by the band in front you there would be people on here who would say they weren't legit and that the second "r" in Larry isn't how he usually signs his signature.

Since apparently there's no way to prove it one way or another, I'd just enjoy your memorabilia and not worry about what the CSI wanna be forensic handwriting experts around here are telling you.

What a lovely post thank you :). I've never received a negative reply in this discussion so I can't really say a bad thing about anyone as I did ask for there opinions on it. I know some people are very critical of everything mostly out of jealously or just for the sake of being an asshole but thankfully that's not really been the case.....yet :p

What a lovely post thank you :). I've never received a negative reply in this discussion so I can't really say a bad thing about anyone as I did ask for there opinions on it. I know some people are very critical of everything mostly out of jealously or just for the sake of being an asshole but thankfully that's not really been the case.....yet :p

Lex parsimoniae man. Your seller seems to have 100% positive feedback on eBay. I think the presumption has to be these are the real thing unless someone can show you something definitive otherwise.

Lex parsimoniae man. Your seller seems to have 100% positive feedback on eBay. I think the presumption has to be these are the real thing unless someone can show you something definitive otherwise.

I did have a look at his feedback and I did see that he sold other autographs aside from the one I had my eye on

My personal opinion is that they are fake.

I have several Bono autographs and have been fortunate enough to view other autographs that belong to friends.

Here is a legit Edge autograph.

293335_2316517041003_1491796436_32732313_2846397_n.jpg

Here are legit ones of all band members.
198650_2274818718571_1491796436_32672977_2263554_n.jpg

Here's another of all the band.
163633_1759559637416_1491796436_31950467_5118669_n.jpg

If I were you, I would ask for a refund from the seller of the cd and mention nothing of it being fake to the seller so as to make sure you get your money back.

The other thing to think about is that the band would never make their signature that small on a CD. It would be sprawled across and messy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There is a facebook group who also post and discuss legit and fake autographs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175579025807080/

Back
Top Bottom