Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the fact that in the UK, we seem to get a lot of things before the US or the rest of the world.

We had 'From The Sky Down' on TV first and I got my Super and Uber sets on Wednesday.

Not gloating, just highlighting that there has been a shift from years ago when the US had everything first.

Still waiting for a leak of this.....no boosted sound mixes of Achtung Baby/Zooropa yet nor have the remixes been freely available from what I can gather. Obviously, none of that is new material per se, but it certainly sounds a lot better on this new set. Can't wait to hear it and surprised the entire 6 disc behemoth hasn't ended up on a torrent site yet.

^Thanks for that.

Also, a couple comments about the video:
1) Thank goodness there were two people involved. Those "unboxing" videos where one person is holding the camera in one hand and trying to open the package with the other hand are quite awkward and stressful.
2) It honestly looks like the box transforms into a chess board when you remove the magnets from the top of it. Surely that's not the case?

Ok, those who have the box... TELL ME ABOUT THE LINER NOTES. Are there essays by famous people? Commentary by The Edge? Lyrics to both AB and Zooropa? Lyrics to the unreleased/bonus tracks? I'll find out for myself on Tuesday but I'm just curious.

There are liner notes by quite a few people. The usual suspects of Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno (apparently a reprint from his essay in the Achtung Baby Songbook), Anton Corbijn, a lengthy essay by Bill Flanagan. Plus a couple of others (one a reprint from an article that originally appeared in Propaganda in 1991). But there's no commentary by The Edge on the B-sides/outtakes.

Also, on the DVD with bonus features, the ZooTV documentary is indeed the TV special that was broadcasted on Thanksgiving 1992! :up:

Now I'm going for my first listen to the Kindergarten disc... :hyper:

There are liner notes by quite a few people. The usual suspects of Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno (apparently a reprint from his essay in the Achtung Baby Songbook), Anton Corbijn, a lengthy essay by Bill Flanagan. Plus a couple of others (one a reprint from an article that originally appeared in Propaganda in 1991). But there's no commentary by The Edge on the B-sides/outtakes.

Also, on the DVD with bonus features, the ZooTV documentary is indeed the TV special that was broadcasted on Thanksgiving 1992! :up:

Now I'm going for my first listen to the Kindergarten disc... :hyper:

THANK YOU! Kinda disappointed that there's no Edge commentary, but it looks like there's plenty of other stuff to make up for that.

Is that this one:

U2 - ZOO TV (2003 TV version) 1/6 - with Rex Fox' ZOO TV NEWS - YouTube
U2 - ZOO TV (2003 TV version) 2/6 - feat.G.Bush(I.) - YouTube
U2 - ZOO TV (2003 TV version) 3/6 - YouTube
U2 - ZOO TV (2003 TV version) 4/6 - YouTube
U2 - ZOO TV (2003 TV version) 6/6 - YouTube
?

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Until the End of the World
Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
When Love Comes to Town
Satellite of Love
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name
Desire

Also includes interview segments with Kurt Loder, Rex Fox @ Zoo News and Rona Elliot & David Salz Zoo News in the field, Adam 'stalker' video, Edge Nintendo wargames, William Burroughs, Pat Kinney show w/ 'fake' U2 lip-synch to Wild Horses whilst the real band sits in the audience, and Bono's last phone call to George Bush.

He's credited for additional recording and mixing for Baby Trying to throw.
Mixing credits for him on Baby Love is blindness

On Blow you house down he's credited for Additional Production and recording and also mixing.

Heaven and hell has him in additional production and recording. Also mixing and backing vocals

Oh berlin: Backing vocals, keyboards, additional production and recording +mixing.

And of course he's behind the real thing remix.

Wow, so Chrisedge was right with regards to Trying to throw, it does have overdubs!

I have to say I like Declan Gaffney's mix of baby Love is blidness is outstanding, I could have sworn the mix had been made by Achtung-era Lanois, it has that great spacious feeling. I hope he will be involved in the new album...

So should I go around and tell everyone how they were wrong and that they should have listened to me, and explain what a "overdub" means, etc...LOL

Is that this one:
?

[snip]

Also includes interview segments with Kurt Loder, Rex Fox @ Zoo News and Rona Elliot & David Salz Zoo News in the field, Adam 'stalker' video, Edge Nintendo wargames, William Burroughs, Pat Kinney show w/ 'fake' U2 lip-synch to Wild Horses whilst the real band sits in the audience, and Bono's last phone call to George Bush.

I haven't watched the full documentary yet, but yes, that's the one. It caught my attention as the liner notes indicated a copyright date of 1992 and that it was directed by Kevin Godley. And after seeing 2 seconds of it I knew it was the one. The opening shot of "Thank you for joining us live on the air. My pleasure" was all I needed to know. :)

So should I go around and tell everyone how they were wrong and that they should have listened to me, and explain what a "overdub" means, etc...LOL

You have very sharp ears man, I could have sworn it was a full '91 recording and mix.

:applaud:

Just wondering if anyone else who pre-ordered from Amazon that their order says "Not Yet Shipped"?

I ordered using Amazon Prime 2-day shipping, and was assured I would get it on the release date. I'm guessing it should ship later tonight or early tomorrow, but yeah, for now mine still says "Not yet shipped." I was hoping it would at least say "shipping soon."

It's also possible that amazon hasn't updated the shipping information. I was reading another thread about some folks who ordered The Smiths box set, and their accounts all said "Not yet shipped" even as the set was arriving at their doorsteps. :)

I ordered using Amazon Prime 2-day shipping, and was assured I would get it on the release date. I'm guessing it should ship later tonight or early tomorrow, but yeah, for now mine still says "Not yet shipped." I was hoping it would at least say "shipping soon."

It's also possible that amazon hasn't updated the shipping information. I was reading another thread about some folks who ordered The Smiths box set, and their accounts all said "Not yet shipped" even as the set was arriving at their doorsteps. :)

Same thing is happing to me! :D

Alright, looks like they probably haven't updated the info or they haven't actually started shipping yet. I'm just dying to receive it already.:drool: A rather long weekend is ahead but From The Sky Down shall keep me satisfied until it arrives.

So depressed. I cancelled my order. I've got no funds right now for this considering the U2Brothrmobile needs a paint repair and it's my wife's birthday.

This sucks so bad.

So depressed. I cancelled my order. I've got no funds right now for this considering the U2Brothrmobile needs a paint repair and it's my wife's birthday.

This sucks so bad.

you should get it your wife for her birthday! :D

My Amazon still says "Not Yet Shipped". But I'm expecting my Box Set on my doorstep on release date or some poor person with Amazon's customer service is gonna get an earful!

Nah. You always seem like you know what you're talking about, so people tend to listen anyway. At least I do.

This sucks so bad.

Boo, that sucks. :hug: at least it will still be around to order down the road when you have funds again ... and might even be cheaper! ;)

for pirates like me who have a Whatcd account, both the FLAC and mp3 versions are available.

I listened to the baby versions again today on proper speakers and I have to say I think you're right about TTTYAATW having 2011 vocals. It does seem strange that they would do that, because the others have original (and imperfect) vocals.

They only reason I can think of is that there weren't any good original vocals left, but don't they keep every recording track?

I listened to the baby versions again today on proper speakers and I have to say I think you're right about TTTYAATW having 2011 vocals. It does seem strange that they would do that, because the others have original (and imperfect) vocals.

They only reason I can think of is that there weren't any good original vocals left, but don't they keep every recording track?

I hear it on more than that.

My Amazon still says Not Yet Shipped too. I'm wondering if the box set is delayed in general in the US though, the Best Buy site lists both the Super and Uber boxes as released on 11/8 while the single and 2-CD versions are listed as 11/1.

It had better not be delayed. I paid for shipping specifically to have it here on its release date.

Also, I'm taking a vacation day on Wednesday so I can just kick back and blast the fuck out of everything in the box set. ... so if it's not here on Tuesday, then I guess I'm working Wednesday. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom