You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam sounds so great on this song.

Looks like someone is gonna have another super album. Adam has come to the forefront of the band, he's no longer in the shadows of Bono and The Edge.

It helps as I'm starting to learn the lyrics and am able to sing along...it just takes off even more.

I loved it instantly (as I do almost all U2 songs, so sue me :p) but I do feel like this won't catch on commercially as fast as Vertigo or Beautiful Day did...but I don't care because I think it's fantastic :heart:

Funny you should say.......one of my friends is a casual fan......she heard it before me this morning and LOVED it straight away, I was amazed!! :D Bono has a new fan methinks.:D

just goes to show........:up:

Wish that could happen to me. My friend will not budge...but...maybe if we get together on the weekend, I could try and play it for her. It's certainly unlike any U2 she's ever heard, so there might be a chance. :)

Seriously Edge, this is bullshit, the little guitar jingle at 1:20 is weak as piss, I know your rich as hell and don't really give a fuck if your work is crap cos ppl will still buy it, but at least put some effort into your work. Hopefully the album is alot better.

I'm picturing Vincent Vega and Mia Wallace dancing to this song, feeling the song in half-time on 2 and 4.

In all honesty, I don't think the United States is going to go nuts for this song. At least, it won't be anything bigger than Vertigo and certainly not Beautiful Day.

America is still Joshua Tree-d out. That's *their* U2. Being an American, this saddens me, because I'd think we'd be willing to explore new sonic territory, but we're not. I love this song, but I get a feeling this is going to be a bigger deal in Europe.

Am I wrong?

I don't think the yanks will like it too much. I get the impression that if it ain't got 'the coke riff' like beautiful day then they won't get it. I actually think this is u2's best lead off single since discothèque and the yanks hated that. Hopefully the album will be their best since 1997. Pretty good lead off single anyway. The only bit about this song that is a bit iffy is the bit where Bono chants towards the end. I think a nice little guitar solo would have worked better.

God Bless U2 for create more confusion, in form of a great song... ahahhah

This is so true. U2 fans should be really happy U2 isn't going through the motions. I think they really want to push themselves this album.

I keep laughing at the fact U2 plays Pride & City Of Blinding Lights on the Lincoln Memorial yesterday for the new president of the US then you turn on the radio and hear a song like "GOYB". Props to U2!!

Seriously Edge, this is bullshit, the little guitar jingle at 1:20 is weak as piss, I know your rich as hell and don't really give a fuck if your work is crap cos ppl will still buy it, but at least put some effort into your work. Hopefully the album is alot better.

I quite like that jingle:reject:

Man, interference is bumming me alot... I'd hope that the fans would find it at least interesting. It's not gonna be a huge hit like Vertigo or BD but i thought that what people here wanted!

Seems some want something experimental that's also accessible...

1:18 - 1:24 massive waste of a potentially good guitar fill.

I'd respectfully disagree with you on this. That 3rd verse intro is just amazing in how it just gives a taste of old school rock guitar a la Harrison. It really is a brave move to put that in there to break up the song. Its another dimension in the multi-guitar textured genius of the song...
Anyone else pick up on the very Alice in Chains-like delivery of "You don't know how beautiful you are"?
Loving this tune

sometimes being subtle is the best treatment. what do you want? a big Slash solo there?

In all honesty, I don't think the United States is going to go nuts for this song. At least, it won't be anything bigger than Vertigo and certainly not Beautiful Day.

America is still Joshua Tree-d out. That's *their* U2. Being an American, this saddens me, because I'd think we'd be willing to explore new sonic territory, but we're not. I love this song, but I get a feeling this is going to be a bigger deal in Europe.

Am I wrong?

Dead on the money. As an American, and a former musician, I can tell you Americans are the best and worst music fans on Earth. Best, because their loyalty to bands and genres is amazing, and the cultured fans know a HUGE spread of music, from gospel to soul to jazz to blues to hard rock. The worst, because there is a "holier-than-though", "if I like this I can't like that" attitude by fans of rap, indie rock, alternative, and metal music that seemingly precludes them from gaining any depth of analysis on the art. It's a gigantic loss.

Yes- European rock fans might be more progressive, but save for Britain, European music is a good 10-15 years behind any American development. It's just fact.

Man, interference is bumming me alot... I'd hope that the fans would find it at least interesting. It's not gonna be a huge hit like Vertigo or BD but i thought that what people here wanted!

Seems some want something experimental that's also accessible...

Yea. You can't have both. I was one of the ones that wanted something different, and when we got it I didn't like the song at first, and now....I effing love it.

And the biggest haters in the business - Pitchforkmedia - gave a good review: "Get On Your Boots" [Stream] | Pitchfork

Hey thanks for that link. :up:
I haven't been able to listen to either U2.com (won't load for me) or any other link.(download unavailable) :banghead:

First time I heard it was on the radio just before 11am this morning and I was up from 2 am to almost 5 trying to get the other links to work.
I'm really, really liking this the more I hear it. It's different, chaotic in a way and does remind me of fast cars. I'm still analysing it, however.:rockon:

But so far..:hyper:

I'm severely disappointed...this was a calculated attempt to release another Vertigo and it backfired. I really hope this is the worst song on the album. I hope they do it better live.

Ahh I stayed up until 2:30 last night listening to it on a loop. :drool:

It's definitely grown on me so far. It seems like the kind of song that really takes a while to dig through all the layers and complexity to figure out what's going on. When I first heard it I was just kind of astonished, so I didn't know what to think. As I've listened to it more, I can really hear and appreciate the amazing guitar, the rythm, the lyrics, and the influences of the Beatles and Zep.

Fundamentally though, I am just so thrilled that the band created something really different. To hear the surprise, confusion, hesitation, etc. has made me giddy with excitement. I find headscratching among the fanbase to be a very good sign. :hyper:

I heard it 4 times now. I don't know if this song represents the album, but if it does then this album will definitely not be the third in a row, but a new direction after ATCYLB and HTDAAB. And this makes me feel positive and I am getting very curious about the rest of the album.

My guess is that Get on Your Boots will finally turn out to be not a U2-classic. However, I really like the song! It has lots of layers, but luckily it does not sound overproduced. It's the bass and drums that play a very important role in this song. Great lyrics. Indeed Queen-style chorus.

I will have to hear it more often and (like my favourite U2-songs), hopefully this one will grow on me.

I'm severely disappointed...this was a calculated attempt to release another Vertigo and it backfired. I really hope this is the worst song on the album. I hope they do it better live.

how do you know that U2 was attempting to release another "Vertigo"? please explain.

Aren't you the one who replaced this song with Mercy? Because Mercy has a rich guitar bit? :scratch:

I heard it 4 times now. I don't know if this song represents the album, but if it does then this album will definitely not be the third in a row, but a new direction after ATCYLB and HTDAAB. And this makes me feel positive and I am getting very curious about the rest of the album.

My guess is that Get on Your Boots will finally turn out to be not a U2-classic. However,

Agreed. I'm hoping, and so far it seems like U2 is listening to the wants of their hard-core fans, not to the mainstream public, which makes me happy.

Wish that could happen to me. My friend will not budge...but...maybe if we get together on the weekend, I could try and play it for her. It's certainly unlike any U2 she's ever heard, so there might be a chance. :)

Just sneakily play it a bit........hehe :D like you say, its unlike any other U2 stuff so theres a good chance.:up: I think thats what did it, because it sounded so different to any of their other stuff.:applaud:

Funny enough, I never used to think much of U2 (don't hit me!) until one day my friend, big u2 fan says 'here play this' and lent his joshua tree cd, then nearly every other cd after that......that as they say, was that!:D I think I never really gave the music a chance til then, but was so glad I did! And look at me now....... :D

Agreed. I'm hoping, and so far it seems like U2 is listening to the wants of their hard-core fans, not to the mainstream public, which makes me happy.

:up: agreed 100%

though I don't see why the public wouldn't like this anyway, it's great.

Aren't you the one who replaced this song with Mercy? Because Mercy has a rich guitar bit? :scratch:

The simple jingles in Mercy (especially the one at the end) had soul and evoked very viseral feelings, whilst the Edge's little guitar tidbits in this new song are a waste of space and don't make me feel anything whatsoever, and time/repeated listenings won't change the fact the guitar work is lazy and uninspired.

Pretty underwhelming. Seems more like "good times" album filler than anything substantial. I'm sorry, but U2 has never had a knack for writing light-hearted, pick-me-up rock songs.

I like Mullen channeling John Bonham during the half-time breakdown in the middle of the song, but the vocals don't fit the guitar work or the general feel of the song. Where's that Moroccan influence I've been reading about?

Voraciously hoping that this song isn't reflective of the rest of the album...

It's been 10 hours.

It still is amazing
It still is better than The Fly
It still is U2' best lead single ever.

The more I listen to it, the less I like it.

Honesty, worst first U2 single from a new album ever. It's just crap, really.

Classics like With Or Without You, New Year's Day, Pride, The Fly, Desire, etc were just awesome. Get On Your Boots is a shame

:sad:

it gets better with each listen, and each listen reveals something new to hear.

this is not a world-conquering song at all, but it's fascinating.

I've only played it twice so far but I liked it much more the 2nd time.

Bono's vocal metering reminded me of Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up", the harmonies reminded me of later Beatles and Larry's drumming did have a bit of a Led Zep feel. Strangely weak guitar solo from Edge with such a powerful backdrop. Love Adam's baseline.

I think this song will be EXCELLENT live. (I also think you're going to see a large percentage of female concert goers wearing boots!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom