u2 play 3Arena in December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These Dublin shows have far more GA tickets than any other shows on the tour. According to Wikipedia, under the configuration in the photo above, it has room for 8,000 GA. U2 will have the stage going down the middle, so that will eliminate maybe 2000 of that capacity, but that still leaves somewhere around 6000 GA tickets per show instead of roughly 2000 per show in regular arenas. Providing of course that the Wikipedia info is correct. I anticipate spending a lot of time in line to get a good spot.

These Dublin shows have far more GA tickets than any other shows on the tour. According to Wikipedia, under the configuration in the photo above, it has room for 8,000 GA. U2 will have the stage going down the middle, so that will eliminate maybe 2000 of that capacity, but that still leaves somewhere around 6000 GA tickets per show instead of roughly 2000 per show in regular arenas. Providing of course that the Wikipedia info is correct. I anticipate spending a lot of time in line to get a good spot.
One of the things that surprised me about the only show I've been at so far (Vancouver 2nd night) was that you could literally walk in at any time and get a great spot, you really didn't need to queue in line. Also, there was a lot of empty space on the floor. I think the design of the stage lends itself to space as people don't just head for the main stage spots. I wonder if Dublin will be more crowded on the floor if there are more GA tickets.

One of the things that surprised me about the only show I've been at so far (Vancouver 2nd night) was that you could literally walk in at any time and get a great spot, you really didn't need to queue in line. Also, there was a lot of empty space on the floor. I think the design of the stage lends itself to space as people don't just head for the main stage spots. I wonder if Dublin will be more crowded on the floor if there are more GA tickets.

The European shows have looked more crowded on the floor. I do wonder if the H&S limits are different between Europe and NA

Okay, now I really want to try and trade for a seat. Just need to find someone who doesn't want to line up so they can go inside with me and my friend (and my friend's credit card).

The European shows have looked more crowded on the floor. I do wonder if the H&S limits are different between Europe and NA
Perhaps. It was strange, i was literally about 2-3 "people rows" from the long stage down at the "e" stage and could have walked about quite easily. Was almost touching distance from Bono and the band. Just thought it was because of the design that it spread people out more. Of course, you had to go in your designated side, you had no choice.

Perhaps. It was strange, i was literally about 2-3 "people rows" from the long stage down at the "e" stage and could have walked about quite easily. Was almost touching distance from Bono and the band. Just thought it was because of the design that it spread people out more. Of course, you had to go in your designated side, you had no choice.

Yea, I was kind of dissapointed by this. Walking in later wasn't that close really. Amsterdam 1 it got us like 4-5 meters from e stage. Amsterdam 2 some further. And because of my back I had to step out on both nights, first night chilled on the side of the floor after that, second night went back in but ofcourse couldn''t get as close. Can't blame anyone or anything but myself for needing to back off but it certainly wasn't 2-3 rows for these shows. I'd say GA was a tad too full, filled to the brim and then lots of people around the bars and stuff. These were my first concerts overall so I probably don't have the best judgement on this:)

Wow, really, 8000 GA?' I know "Sportpaleis" in Antwerp has a GA-capacity of 5000-6000 (total venue capacity of 22 000 including seats) and that floor is really big (in length). Didn't expected GA in 3Arena is that big. Maybe it is because its' very large width..:

Glad I have seats dor Dublin2. It's my first time in Ireland so don't want to spend all day waiting in queue, I prefer waiting with some beers in a local pub! ;-) I do 2 times GA in Antwerp, so Dublin will be seated to see the show in his full force. And GA or seats, during a hometown gig in Dublin, everyone will go crazy and nobody will be sitting, isn't it? ;-)

Belfast 2 still has tix available. EastMB section whatever that is

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yea, I was kind of dissapointed by this. Walking in later wasn't that close really. Amsterdam 1 it got us like 4-5 meters from e stage. Amsterdam 2 some further. And because of my back I had to step out on both nights, first night chilled on the side of the floor after that, second night went back in but ofcourse couldn''t get as close. Can't blame anyone or anything but myself for needing to back off but it certainly wasn't 2-3 rows for these shows. I'd say GA was a tad too full, filled to the brim and then lots of people around the bars and stuff. These were my first concerts overall so I probably don't have the best judgement on this:)
I'm trying to remember back now, maybe it was busier than I thought it was. I've been in some crazy busy U2 crowds, Seville during the 360 tour was insane and I got crushed. Vancouver felt quite relaxed in comparison as far as i can remember. Hopefully Dublin won't be too bad.

Okay, I am going to Dublin for the first two shows.

HOLY SHIT, YOU GUYS. I can't believe it.

There's some confusion over ticket limits, it sounds like, so I'm holding off on booking a flight until we're sure her tickets aren't going to get cancelled or anything.

BUT OH MY GOD.

Apparently there was some info that made it sound like two tickets total per billing address for ALL shows, instead of for two tickets each per show ... someone contacted Ticketmaster IE, and here's a summary:

UPDATE that I also posted separately in the group: UPDATE: I called Ticketmaster IE for a second time and asked about the requirement; she verified with her manager that:
-- 2 tickets are allowed in the pre-sale, and 2 tickets in the general sale. (The 4 ticket general sale is from Leg 1.)
-- She told me that although all of my purchases have the same address, I'm "grand" because a couple of the credits cards used were in my name (separate from my Mom's).
-- ****IMPORTANTLY, she said that they're not really checking if you're over by 1 or so; it's for those who are like 10 tickets over.

Confusion with U2 tickets? I am SHOCKED. :wink:

YES!!!! I am so very very happy for you!!!

Last edited:

GA is large in the 3arena ,it is pretty wide allright .

Just saw a few press reports and they list the capacity for the Dublin gigs as only 10,000 ,well below the 14,500 maximum so GA might not be too busy.

As expected, there was a scramble this morning to buy tickets for U2's Irish concerts, with 40,000 tickets for the Dublin dates selling out in 35 minutes and 17,000 tickets for the Belfast dates snapped up within hours of going on sale.

17,000 tickets for 2 Belfast shows...I wonder when was the last time they played to an audience of less than 10,000 people on a tour. Zoo TV?

Apparently there was some info that made it sound like two tickets total per billing address for ALL shows, instead of for two tickets each per show ... someone contacted Ticketmaster IE, and here's a summary:

UPDATE that I also posted separately in the group: UPDATE: I called Ticketmaster IE for a second time and asked about the requirement; she verified with her manager that:
-- 2 tickets are allowed in the pre-sale, and 2 tickets in the general sale. (The 4 ticket general sale is from Leg 1.)
-- She told me that although all of my purchases have the same address, I'm "grand" because a couple of the credits cards used were in my name (separate from my Mom's).
-- ****IMPORTANTLY, she said that they're not really checking if you're over by 1 or so; it's for those who are like 10 tickets over.

So was the two tickets total per billing address for ALL shows, instead of two tickets each per show rumour actually true ?

I chanced an extra 2 GA for the Tuesday night today to go with my 2 Sat night GA.
Was taking a bit of a risk but seems ok.

17,000 tickets for 2 Belfast shows...I wonder when was the last time they played to an audience of less than 10,000 people on a tour. Zoo TV?

Those numbers are for the general on sale. There will be an extra 25% or so (maybe a bit more?) that were sold in the presales. So that would take Belfast up to about 11-12,000 a night and dublin to about 13-14,000 per night.

Anyone know why tickets in the green blocks (further away from the stage than the yellow blocks in front) were both more expensive and considered "best available" by ticketmaster compared with the frontmost blocks?

I was lucky enough to be one of the first on the site this morning and got two tickets for opening night, in Block J. I initially assumed that tickets for the yellow section had merely sold out faster than I was able to grab one, but a friend of mine who didn't go with "best available" told me that in fact, the top set of tickets in terms of price and Ticketmaster's prioritisation are the ones in the blocks I got a ticket for, the green blocks a little further back. The second set of tickets, for around €100, are in the yellow blocks which I had assumed would be regarded as the absolute best and most in demand seats.

I've been deliberately avoiding spoilers on this tour if possible, I was thinking about how cool it would have been in 360 if I didn't have an idea of the setlist or didn't already know that the screen would randomly triple in size half way through the show, so I don't know much at all about the stage layout this time. Does anyone who does have any thoughts about why the tickets would be prioritised as such?

Regardless... U2U2U2U2U2 :D :D :D See ye all there :D

So was the two tickets total per billing address for ALL shows, instead of two tickets each per show rumour actually true ?

I chanced an extra 2 GA for the Tuesday night today to go with my 2 Sat night GA.
Was taking a bit of a risk but seems ok.

No clue. That one woman this other fan talked to made it sound like they're not going after people with a couple of extra tickets. We shall see. I'm probably making a problem out of nothing, but I AM still going to wait to book my flight. ;)

Just saw a few press reports and they list the capacity for the Dublin gigs as only 10,000 ,well below the 14,500 maximum so GA might not be too busy.

Maybe because the screen/catwalk will cut into the GA space quite a bit? Interesting.

Anyone know why tickets in the green blocks (further away from the stage than the yellow blocks in front) were both more expensive and considered "best available" by ticketmaster compared with the frontmost blocks?

I was lucky enough to be one of the first on the site this morning and got two tickets for opening night, in Block J. I initially assumed that tickets for the yellow section had merely sold out faster than I was able to grab one, but a friend of mine who didn't go with "best available" told me that in fact, the top set of tickets in terms of price and Ticketmaster's prioritisation are the ones in the blocks I got a ticket for, the green blocks a little further back. The second set of tickets, for around €100, are in the yellow blocks which I had assumed would be regarded as the absolute best and most in demand seats.

I've been deliberately avoiding spoilers on this tour if possible, I was thinking about how cool it would have been in 360 if I didn't have an idea of the setlist or didn't already know that the screen would randomly triple in size half way through the show, so I don't know much at all about the stage layout this time. Does anyone who does have any thoughts about why the tickets would be prioritised as such?

Regardless... U2U2U2U2U2 :D :D :D See ye all there :D

It's because those seats will give you the best view of the whole stage, videoscreen and overall show. On the lower seats some parts of the stage or screen aren't as good as visible.

Which row do you have? I will also be in Block J, row 37!

Okay, I am going to Dublin for the first two shows.

HOLY SHIT, YOU GUYS. I can't believe it.

There's some confusion over ticket limits, it sounds like, so I'm holding off on booking a flight until we're sure her tickets aren't going to get cancelled or anything.

BUT OH MY GOD.

Hi Cori, I'm also going to show 1 and 2, no way for me to go to show 3 and/or 4. I have to go back on the 26th and then directly into class, that is, if my flight is on time. I bought 2 tickets, one for each show, but I'm still not sure about the ticket limit. Friends of mine will also be at the shows but everyone bought tickets separately. It's good to hear, however, that Ticketmaster isn't going after people who have 1 or 2 more tickets than originally allowed. They should instead go after those who have started selling tickets on the secondary market for horrendous prices shortly after presale (!) last week, that's just SICK.

I also had the feeling that there are more GA tickets than for other shows, it seemed to be fairly easy to get those, but I guess GAs for the weekend shows were a lot harder to pull?!

Hopefully there will be some kind of meet up in Dublin? Where is everyone staying?

They should instead go after those who have started selling tickets on the secondary market for horrendous prices shortly after presale (!) last week, that's just SICK.

They should go after them but unfortunately they wont.

How can these people sell seats already when Ticketmaster haven't sent out any tickets yet ?
Most of these touts are probably Ticketmaster themselves.

Honestly though anyone who buys a ticket on those resale sites for huge money is an idiot.
There will be plenty of ticket drops for the Dublin gigs in the coming months due to the different layout and there are plenty of other venues to see them in.
Spend the money on a trip away to see them somewhere else instead of Dublin instead of giving it to touts.
Belfast tickets are still on sale btw.

Those numbers are for the general on sale. There will be an extra 25% or so (maybe a bit more?) that were sold in the presales. So that would take Belfast up to about 11-12,000 a night and dublin to about 13-14,000 per night.

I'm pretty sure those numbers include the presale figures ,press announcements here usually do .

Max capacity of the Odyssey is listed as 10,800 but with the stage layout the GA area will be reduced so it will be under 10k .

It's because those seats will give you the best view of the whole stage, videoscreen and overall show. On the lower seats some parts of the stage or screen aren't as good as visible.

Which row do you have? I will also be in Block J, row 37!

We're Row 43!

My dad reckons the whole "We may not be able to play the show in Dublin at all" thing was a pure marketing tactic and that they always knew they'd manage to make it fit ;)

Yes it sure is :applaud:

Not sure why it took them so long to actually realise that they could indeed fit it in ,its not exactly rocket science.

It took so long because of the Arena's layout. Look at it. Look at U2's stage layout. Then look at the arena again.

The whole point of the current stage layout depends on the screen. And when you are either close to the screen or right across the stage, you won't see that. Which is Dublin's main issue, the majority of fans would not be able to see the screen properly the way the band intend it. That's what they had to figure out, not how to physically put it in. :)

my (GA) tickets are still processing and no money has left my account, although the bank tell me they've authorised the payment. is this the same for everyone else?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom