Tangiwai, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Righto, will pick that up when I go grocery shopping. Rosti if I can find it.

Oh is that all it is? I melt cheese that way all the time. It just sounds like cottage cheese to me when I hear it referred to as "curds".

The first time Alison and I made rösti, we failed so hard. :lol: Give it a go with hash browns though, I'd be most interested in how it works out.

Like I said, can't speak for Quebec, but that's how it's done down here. No idea how authentic it is, though pictures seem to indicate we aren't fucking it up hideously.

Did some research, there's no mysterious underground place in DFW to get poutine, BUT:

The only thing I could think of would be to buy cheese curds at Central Market (in season I believe mid winter) and then go to The big easy in Plano. The big easy will gladly do fries and gravy and put your own curds on them. I will have to try them next time I am visiting the NE.

I could get fries from somewhere and gravy from the store and Central Market's right down the road from work. This is that same place that sells Wheatbix :lol:

4210010443_caf1dd113f.jpg

look! it's actually not a plane!

:shocked:

Ok, more research shows there ARE places in Dallas:

Make your own cheese curds. So so simple.
As for poutine, I saw that a Garland restaurant featured in the Observer a few months back served this noxious ballpark dish. I am really suprised that it hasnt caught on in the states. For local poutine try Marlos House in Garland. All the finest places are in Garland I am sure. Buck Owens went to grade school there, so it cannot be all that bad. Dallas Dining - Marlo's House is a Dutch Treat - page 1
In Krum there is a place called Vercelli's that makes poutine.
Their website says they charge 2 dollars for delivery, so that is a bargain if you live in Dallas. lol
On a similar note you simply must look at foie gras poutine with horse fat fries: http://www.hungryinhogtown.com/hungry... I might note that Quebec is where I first tried the odd geoduck.
Hi kitten, this was for you of course...

And still MORE research:

Cheese curds are little-known in locations without cheese factories, because they should ideally be eaten within hours of manufacture. Their flavor is mild with about the same firmness as cheese, but has a springy or rubbery texture. Fresh curds squeak against the teeth when bitten into, a defining characteristic. Cheese curds are sometimes referred to as "Squeaky cheese".[1][2] They are sometimes somewhat salty. The American variety are usually yellow or orange in color, like most American Cheddar cheese. Other varieties, such as the Québécois and New York variety, can be roughly the same color as white Cheddar cheese.

oh, and kfc in canada has poutine.

my friend tells me it's terrible. i'm inclined to believe him.

I was just reading that A&W and Burger King in Canada do as well.

I'm not surprised to hear that KFC does, since those potato bowls are as close to poutine as possible without using french fries anyways.

And still MORE research:

Cheese curds are little-known in locations without cheese factories, because they should ideally be eaten within hours of manufacture. Their flavor is mild with about the same firmness as cheese, but has a springy or rubbery texture. Fresh curds squeak against the teeth when bitten into, a defining characteristic. Cheese curds are sometimes referred to as "Squeaky cheese".[1][2] They are sometimes somewhat salty. The American variety are usually yellow or orange in color, like most American Cheddar cheese. Other varieties, such as the Québécois and New York variety, can be roughly the same color as white Cheddar cheese.

Huh. Really not sure if Lord Of The Fries here is using normal cheese or curds (I'm inclined to believe the former), but it's still delicious with just ordinary cheese melted by the heat of the food.

Huh. Really not sure if Lord Of The Fries here is using normal cheese or curds (I'm inclined to believe the former), but it's still delicious with just ordinary cheese melted by the heat of the food.

Honestly, the more I read about it, the more I don't get what's so special about it. I eat my mashed potatoes with cheese and gravy all the time, and I'd do the same with french fries if I ever had them all in the same place.

In fact, whenever I go to Dairy Queen, I dip my fries in gravy.

That reminds me, I'll have to get Travis to take some photos of the Ronald Raygun Memorial Highway for you guys, since I've never been able to do it for A Reason.

Honestly, the more I read about it, the more I don't get what's so special about it. I eat my mashed potatoes with cheese and gravy all the time, and I'd do the same with french fries if I ever had them all in the same place.

In fact, whenever I go to Dairy Queen, I dip my fries in gravy.

This was my reaction when I found out about it! People here do chips and gravy all the time, but seem to find the idea of adding cheese revolting. I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

This was my reaction when I found out about it! People here do chips and gravy all the time, but seem to find the idea of adding cheese revolting. I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

As you guys know, I used to eat that mashed potato bowl from KFC all the time, and it's mashed potatoes, shred cheese, gravy, and popcorn chicken. It's the best fucking thing on earth.

People are strange, God only knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom