Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several weeks with SOI now. Almost ready to write my full review. Wanted to avoid the hyperbole that accompanies a lot of my reviews (although I do still love NLOTH)...

I feel stronger about this album than I did a few weeks ago. Although I could certainly live without "The Miracle," this *is* their best effort since AB. Great album end-to-end. Still very pleasantly surprised. And still quite addicted to it.

#2 album of 2014.

Several weeks with SOI now. Almost ready to write my full review. Wanted to avoid the hyperbole that accompanies a lot of my reviews (although I do still love NLOTH)...

I feel stronger about this album than I did a few weeks ago. Although I could certainly live without "The Miracle," this *is* their best effort since AB. Great album end-to-end. Still very pleasantly surprised. And still quite addicted to it.

#2 album of 2014.

Something tells me we might have similar reviews. I too have waited to give mine as I am known to get caught up in the initial hype. Look forward to reading yours.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

#2 album of 2014.

What is number 1?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Question for people who follow these things closely...did the song titles for "The Troubles" or "This is Where You Can Reach Me Now" leak prior to the Apple event?

Which song titles were we actually aware of via rumours, etc. in one way or another prior to the surprise release?

Question for people who follow these things closely...did the song titles for "The Troubles" or "This is Where You Can Reach Me Now" leak prior to the Apple event?

Which song titles were we actually aware of via rumours, etc. in one way or another prior to the surprise release?

I don't remember The Troubles leaking as a song title, but I do remember Bono mentioning Reach Around in an interview earlier this year. For the life of me, I can't remember which interview it was though.

I remember The Troubles being mentioned, and a lot of people on Interference (myself, too, even though I didn't post about it) thinking that was a complete lie because, "why would they make a song so blatantly Irish-named."

After some time away from listening to the new album, I'm starting to realize how much of a weak link Bono can be. I've always felt that Edge, Larry and Adam can always come up with some interesting music regardless of the style/ direction, but if the BMan really doesn't bring his A game with him, boy does the album suffer.

Lyrically and vocally, he's really stepped it up a bit on this one from past albums, and I can only hope he can continue this trend in the future.

After some time away from listening to the new album, I'm starting to realize how much of a weak link Bono can be. I've always felt that Edge, Larry and Adam can always come up with some interesting music regardless of the style/ direction, but if the BMan really doesn't bring his A game with him, boy does the album suffer.

Lyrically and vocally, he's really stepped it up a bit on this one from past albums, and I can only hope he can continue this trend in the future.

Agreed. Sometimes he should be less of a windbag.

Yep. I listened to No Line again and was struck by how much I liked :edge: :adam: and :larry:. I listened to SOI again and wondered why I liked it so much more. Then it occurred to me. It's :bono: who makes or breaks an album, usually.

The only reason U2 is U2 is because of Bono.

U2 is the classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, but without Bono there is no U2. He's one of the most engaged and dynamic front men in rock history. U2 without Bono is an interesting guitarist and a couple average musicians.

Bono, on his absolute worst day, is not a weak link for U2. His C game as a performer is better than anyone in that band's A game as musicians, and better than most other lead singers out there. Setting aside his voice, the intangibles he brings as a performer are incalculable.

:giggle:...weak link...:lol:

Carry on...:shifty:

Setting aside his voice, the intangibles he brings as a performer are incalculable.

This.

Honestly I think that both to fans and the culture Bono is so familiar that we forget how extraordinary he is. Infuriating, crazymaking, embarrassing and unpredictable (and also distressingly predictable) it's hard to see his gifts as they really are.

I've always believed Edge to be the main reason their recent material has been lacking. I chalk it all up to a musical midlife crisis. Mixture of both playing it safe (hello Chime Land) and unsuccessful attempts at the classic rock sound. What Edge always did better than most was come up with sounds that were transcendent and out-of-time in regards to classic rock.

I've always believed Edge to be the main reason their recent material has been lacking. I chalk it all up to a musical midlife crisis. Mixture of both playing it safe (hello Chime Land) and unsuccessful attempts at the classic rock sound. What Edge always did better than most was come up with sounds that were transcendent and out-of-time in regards to classic rock.

Between the Bono/Edge weak link talk...:doh:

Look Bono is Bono...he's been that way since the band started...this is not new, it's just he's a Rock God now...and he's WAY OUT FRONT AND CENTER...people will get annoyed. And whenever something feels wrong about U2...music/singing a lot of the blame will be laid at his doorstep...unfair.

As for ozeeko's Edge criticism...seriously? Edge is always pushing the forefront of what the guitar can do, and how to make something grand without actually sounding like he's trying to make it grand. You can't blame an artist for doing what they do best, in regards to style and sound...it's HIS style and sound for godsakes...:applaud:

Between the Bono/Edge weak link talk...:doh:
You can't blame an artist for doing what they do best, in regards to style and sound...it's HIS style and sound for godsakes...:applaud:

....I'm saying he's NOT doing what HE does best. There are flashes of brilliance but I haven't heard any on-the-whole transcendent album performances in a while from the man. I can't explain really what it is he's lacking. It's something he puts into the intro riff to Rejoice or in his whacked out performance on Zooropa's title track...there's just a lack of depth in recent records.

Edge is always pushing the forefront of what the guitar can do, and how to make something grand without actually sounding like he's trying to make it grand. You can't blame an artist for doing what they do best, in regards to style and sound...it's HIS style and sound for godsakes...:applaud:

LOVE The Edge. Always have. And he may always TRY to push the boundaries. But he doesn't always succeed. Largely, that's due to there being a finite amount of sounds one can discover. On this album, there's a mixture of Edge-lite and generic guitar riffs (Raised by Wolves, Miracle, etc) that could have come from any number of bands.It's not his fault. Perhaps he's discovered everything there was to discover.

Please understand I'm not knocking the album. I really like it.

After some time away from listening to the new album, I'm starting to realize how much of a weak link Bono can be.

Its all a matter of opinion i know but are you having a bloody laugh???

Bono is a huge part of u2, the main part. Take Bono out and theres not a great live act and there is no u2!!

Live aid became such a big gig because of Bono, u2 got so big because of Bono

When you see u2 live its bono that makes you jump with joy and its bono who makes you cry!

Damn i even got into u2 because of Bono. The brit awards 2001 was the gig that got me into the band. U2 won some lifetime award. They did a 3 song set one/beautiful day/until the end of the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktil1dQlYc

I was 14 at the time, now it wasnt the 3 songs that got me hooked,it wasnt u2 that got me going it was all Bono. Bono was the sales rep and i brought in. This performance still gives me goosebumps and its still the greatest performance ive seen on tv from anyone.

It is all about opinions i know but Bono a weak link not a chance he is u2(the biggest part) to me.

I understand both arguments...I just think Edge is Edge...he did his 'experimental' thing in the 90's...but for all of those who think the 90's is quintessential U2 or indicative of U2, I say the 90's were an anomaly. Seriously in the four decades U2 has been putting music out 3/4 of those decades the sound has been fairly static...for one decade it was stretched to its and their limit. They took it as far as they could...they are really not 'that' band...it was fun and exciting but those days are gone.

:yes: Thankfully he's moving on from chimes and cliche rawk riffs now (in particular in the lower half of the album, also Crystal Balroom and Invisible) he's been buried under on Bomb and NLOTH.

I understand both arguments...I just think Edge is Edge...he did his 'experimental' thing in the 90's...but for all of those who think the 90's is quintessential U2 or indicative of U2, I say the 90's were an anomaly. Seriously in the four decades U2 has been putting music out 3/4 of those decades the sound has been fairly static...for one decade it was stretched to its and their limit. They took it as far as they could...they are really not 'that' band...it was fun and exciting but those days are gone.

If music can't be fun or exciting, then there's zero point in putting it out.

Fun and exciting doesn't have to equate happy and loud... it can be Your Blue Room or One Step Closer. But fun and exciting have to be part of the music, otherwise the band sell themselves short.

If music can't be fun or exciting, then there's zero point in putting it out.

Fun and exciting doesn't have to equate happy and loud... it can be Your Blue Room or One Step Closer. But fun and exciting have to be part of the music, otherwise the band sell themselves short.

There's nothing fun and exciting on SOI?

It's not like he's regurgitating IWF or Streets...he's not Angus Young.

Its all a matter of opinion i know but are you having a bloody laugh???

Bono is a huge part of u2, the main part. Take Bono out and theres not a great live act and there is no u2!!

Live aid became such a big gig because of Bono, u2 got so big because of Bono

When you see u2 live its bono that makes you jump with joy and its bono who makes you cry!

Damn i even got into u2 because of Bono. The brit awards 2001 was the gig that got me into the band. U2 won some lifetime award. They did a 3 song set one/beautiful day/until the end of the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktil1dQlYc

I was 14 at the time, now it wasnt the 3 songs that got me hooked,it wasnt u2 that got me going it was all Bono. Bono was the sales rep and i brought in. This performance still gives me goosebumps and its still the greatest performance ive seen on tv from anyone.

It is all about opinions i know but Bono a weak link not a chance he is u2(the biggest part) to me.

Maybe I should clarify a bit: on the recorded albums he can be. As a live performer, no doubt he's the man. If anything, I'm trying to say this band is fantastic when everyone is firing on all cylinders, as they are on this album... but when someone isn't...

There's nothing fun and exciting on SOI?

It's not like he's regurgitating IWF or Streets...he's not Angus Young.

No, that's not what I meant. I was merely quoting what you had said: " They took it as far as they could...they are really not 'that' band...it was fun and exciting but those days are gone."

No, that's not what I meant. I was merely quoting what you had said: " They took it as far as they could...they are really not 'that' band...it was fun and exciting but those days are gone."

I meant the out and out experimentation was fun and exciting. They aren't in that place any more.

That said, Pop was about staying relevant to the alternative...now they are about staying relevant in the mainstream...so disappointment is bound to happen in with certain facets of U2's fan base.

Edge is still doing what he does, but the band's sights have changed from the 90's so he's adapted. Good or bad...that's for you to decide...but going back to my point, he's NOT the weak link any more than Bono...or Larry or Adam are. The band, their direction, their goals shape what they produce...their is your weak link...the collective band...LOL.

I meant the out and out experimentation was fun and exciting. They aren't in that place any more.

That said, Pop was about staying relevant to the alternative...now they are about staying relevant in the mainstream...so disappointment is bound to happen in with certain facets of U2's fan base.

Edge is still doing what he does, but the band's sights have changed from the 90's so he's adapted. Good or bad...that's for you to decide...but going back to my point, he's NOT the weak link any more than Bono...or Larry or Adam are. The band, their direction, their goals shape what they produce...their is your weak link...the collective band...LOL.

Bono and Edge drive the creative direction in the band, they always have. Larry is forever the skeptical one but can be won over as long as Edge and Bono are steadfast in their beliefs (just read about AB's early sessions for proof of that), and despite Larry's low opinion of Passengers, at the end of the day it still got made!

I believe Bono rises to the occasion better as long as Edge is somewhat in sync with whatever creative direction they want to explore. But this nagging relevance issue has a way of reining in whatever they set out to do lately. Imagine AB with The Sweetest Thing smack dab in the middle, and a couple earnest Street-sounding tunes. Even their most familiar U2 moments on that record (Horses' chorus, the optimistic drive of UV) are subverted by their experimental arrangements and sounds. It's more of a wink to the past while plowing forward rather than a dead-stop in the middle of an album, a reminder "hey, don't worry we're still the U2 you know and love!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom