Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please fill in the blanks for me about the meanings of the songs. Theres only a couple i havent picked up on

Miracle- seeing the ramones

EBW - im not sure what this one is about?? ?

California - going to california for the 1st time

Song for someone- song for ali????

Iris- bonos mother

Volcano - bonos rage as a teenager

Raised by wolves - uvf bombings

Cedarwood road- street bono grew up on

SLABT- about a child abusing priest

TIWYCRMN- about discovering the clash

The troubles - domestic violence

Just the two im not 100% sure about. Are the rest right?

EBW is about Bono and Ali. In the liner notes, he mentions that their early dates were trips to the dunes on the north shore and small towns, and that they each could have gone off and done their own thing, but have stuck it out together through thick and thin.

EBW is about Bono and Ali. In the liner notes, he mentions that their early dates were trips to the dunes on the north shore and small towns, and that they each could have gone off and done their own thing, but have stuck it out together through thick and thin.

Ahhh now i get it, that will teach me for not reading the notes in full.

Whats song for someone about then?

Clearly this is Judas saying that he was convinced by the Pharisees that he would feel nothing the first time he betrayed a messiah. Likely this convincing had a little help from the silver coins jangling in his pocket, but I digress. How wrong they proved to be though, he clearly felt it when he kissed that ill-fated kiss.

"This could be the night" is what he told them when they kept bugging him to deliver on his end of the bargain.

This has a modern day fulfillment in a certain singers prophetic words "Maybe, we'll see", which will be featured in a song on Son gs of Experience..

Sent from my ass crack

Ahhh now i get it, that will teach me for not reading the notes in full.

Whats song for someone about then?

This song is about the awkwardness of falling in love, sex, romance … This is what Bono said to Dave Fanning on 19/09/14.

Its all a matter of opinion i know but are you having a bloody laugh???

Bono is a huge part of u2, the main part. Take Bono out and theres not a great live act and there is no u2!!

Live aid became such a big gig because of Bono, u2 got so big because of Bono

When you see u2 live its bono that makes you jump with joy and its bono who makes you cry!

Damn i even got into u2 because of Bono. The brit awards 2001 was the gig that got me into the band. U2 won some lifetime award. They did a 3 song set one/beautiful day/until the end of the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktil1dQlYc

I was 14 at the time, now it wasnt the 3 songs that got me hooked,it wasnt u2 that got me going it was all Bono. Bono was the sales rep and i brought in. This performance still gives me goosebumps and its still the greatest performance ive seen on tv from anyone.

It is all about opinions i know but Bono a weak link not a chance he is u2(the biggest part) to me.

I think this is the very point. He is the biggest point, which means if he isn't on form, the results are catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the bridge in Lucifers Hands? We have plenty of songs with Bono singing or talking all over during the bridge. I like it!

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the bridge in Lucifers Hands? We have plenty of songs with Bono singing or talking all over during the bridge. I like it!

I can't stand it. I edited it out immediately. I don't like the delivery and the lyric there is just so bad. Reminds me of a David Brent lyric. Like he's singing for his mates at the office and I'm expecting him to turn to the camera and point and say - Socially conscience. :D

Just not a fan. I am glad some people enjoy it though.

I can't stand it. I edited it out immediately. I don't like the delivery and the lyric there is just so bad. Reminds me of a David Brent lyric. Like he's singing for his mates at the office and I'm expecting him to turn to the camera and point and say - Socially conscience. :D

Just not a fan. I am glad some people enjoy it though.

Do you do a lot of custom edits?

I don't understand the motivation to make edits of U2 songs. It's like rewriting a chapter in a novel, or editing out a scene in a movie. I can't mess with an artist's intention. I have to accept the work as is.

After weeks of listening and the loss of new u2phoria, I can say at least that the album is better than No Line. Here's to hoping that Songs Of Experience is better.

Do you do a lot of custom edits?

LOL. yeah, I have done some this time around. I haven't in the past. But I really like LH, just really hated that one spot.

I have only done a couple of minor tweaks, but mostly because of the bonus material. I used the falsetto from the alternate SLABT and put it in the studio version, cause I think it sounds smoother.
I am using the piano/acoustic SFS because I like it better than the studio version, but I had to adjust the volume, fix some out of tune notes from Bono, and I took out a little section of the Yeah, Yeahs, cut I don't really like that part.

anyway, yes, I made some edits. I also keep the real version of everything, but I enjoy making some things a little more custom.

Clearly this is Judas saying that he was convinced by the Pharisees that he would feel nothing the first time he betrayed a messiah. Likely this convincing had a little help from the silver coins jangling in his pocket, but I digress. How wrong they proved to be though, he clearly felt it when he kissed that ill-fated kiss.

"This could be the night" is what he told them when they kept bugging him to deliver on his end of the bargain.

This has a modern day fulfillment in a certain singers prophetic words "Maybe, we'll see", which will be featured in a song on Son gs of Experience..

Sent from my ass crack

:applaud:

LOL. yeah, I have done some this time around. I haven't in the past. But I really like LH, just really hated that one spot.

I have only done a couple of minor tweaks, but mostly because of the bonus material. I used the falsetto from the alternate SLABT and put it in the studio version, cause I think it sounds smoother.
I am using the piano/acoustic SFS because I like it better than the studio version, but I had to adjust the volume, fix some out of tune notes from Bono, and I took out a little section of the Yeah, Yeahs, cut I don't really like that part.

anyway, yes, I made some edits. I also keep the real version of everything, but I enjoy making some things a little more custom.

I tend to just leave these things alone and in general can't be bothered to make custom edits, and in any event don't have the technical skills to do it seamlessly. So it's pretty cool you can make the songs sound just how you want. I just pretend they're singing alternate lyrics when I don't like the actual ones. ;-)

I did once splice the 40 seconds at the beginning of the New Year's Day (USA remix) to the start of the album version for one of my playlists. I love the slow piano in that bit, and have it softly fading out right before crashing into the first notes of the studio version. I also created versions of Acrobat and Red Hill Town with background crowd noise so they'd sound better in my ultimate U2 concert live playlist (four hours).

I also edited out Neil Peart's obnoxious rap in the middle of Rush's Roll the Bones.

Sent from my ass crack

well done

I don't understand the motivation to make edits of U2 songs. It's like rewriting a chapter in a novel, or editing out a scene in a movie. I can't mess with an artist's intention. I have to accept the work as is.

:up:

it's like those really annoying people who you buy presents for and they take them back to the shop to change them for something else they want instead :lol:

I completely understand that. But my thought is, they have done hundreds of takes of these songs and spliced them all together. If I like the falsetto from one take, i'll slap it in the other.

I still keep the originals. But for a song like LH. I probably would rarely if ever listen to it again with the bridge in there. Now, I listen to it all the time.

The one thing I would never expect a band like U2 to do is splice takes. Most musicians of their caliber would do a hundred takes to get one that is perfect on all accounts. If something is done poorly in an otherwise perfect take, they will do another take.

The one thing I would never expect a band like U2 to do is splice takes. Most musicians of their caliber would do a hundred takes to get one that is perfect on all accounts. If something is done poorly in an otherwise perfect take, they will do another take.

What gives you that impression? Most of what you listen to now is comprised of many many different takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom