Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a refreshing quote from Larry, I love the honesty!

Was the "misfiring" quote in reference to NLOTH?

Any other yummy tidbits from the Q interview?

NLOTH and POP, yes...

There's also an interesting quote about how Larry would like to record, once the tour is done, but I cant tell if he's being serious or not. Says he'd like the band to get together and learn a pile of other people's songs for a set period of time (he's inspired by Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule), learn from their song writing, and then use what they've learned to bash out a new album in a relatively short period of time.

there's also reference to a few new song titles, which I quoted earlier, in case you didnt see.

applicable pages:

11899797_10207830908277266_1591622647570910779_n.jpg

11903879_10207830909117287_6084333138197196972_n.jpg

There's also an interesting quote about how Larry would like to record, once the tour is done, but I cant tell if he's being serious or not. Says he'd like the band to get together and learn a pile of other people's songs for a set period of time (he's inspired by Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule), learn from their song writing, and then use what they've learned to bash out a new album in a relatively short period of time.

super weird, right? has anyone noticed lots of Larry nonsense over the years? like, i have no earthly idea what he's actually talking about when they're in Graceland in R&H.

refreshing stuff from Larry, from the Q interview:

"Misfiring. Misjudging where we're at. We do it." Even Songs of Innocence bothers him a little. "Because we spent so long on it, there are areas where it's overcooked. We second-guess ourselves. We doubt the songs. What it really says is you're not confident in your ability... "We've learned," he says firmly. "We'll never spent four-and-a-half years writing and recording a record again. Those days are gone."

yeah, next time they spend four-and-a-half years recording an album they just won't bother releasing it.

Is this available to pick up at Barnes and noble in America right now?

Probably not yet, as it just came out this past week in the UK. Not sure if it varies across the country, but in Seattle the Pike Place Market newsstand doesn't get the newest issue for at least a few weeks after it's out in the UK.

super weird, right? has anyone noticed lots of Larry nonsense over the years? like, i have no earthly idea what he's actually talking about when they're in Graceland in R&H.

it must be a drummer thing - my son is on his way to being a professional drummer and a few months ago calculated he will reach the 10,000 hours by the time he's around 28 if he keeps practising hard hahaha - i really think it's a great goal to work towards... although i would have imagined U2 would have already clocked up their 10,000 hours practice/performance time by now, no?

Last edited:
it must be a drummer thing - my son is on his way to being a professional drummer and a few months ago calculated he will reach the 10,000 hours by the time he's around 28 if he keeps practising hard hahaha - i really think it's a great goal to work towards... although i would have imagined U2 would have already clocked up their 10,000 hours practice/performance time by now, no?

Before I&e tour, U2 did 1423 shows, by 2 hours, they did 2846 hours performing in 37 years. They will be great in 2107!

In today's edition of "reading way too much into U2 stuff" - today's Instagram post was from Bono and features the tagline "looking to the future..."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love Hopper's narration here, actually. Great little special they put together. I still don't get what people's problem with the album was.

I remember cringing a lot and being generally uncomfortable watching that live with a couple of Non-U2 fans on TV. There was something very cheesy about the whole thing. Now I love it but I can see why it would turn people off at the time.

I remember watching the special that Saturday at 'Treasure Island' in Vegas (day after the concert). I kept thinking, while I enjoyed the show it wasn't as spectacular as the special & the band made it seem like.

5 months later they nailed it..:up: ( saw them in November)

refreshing stuff from Larry, from the Q interview:

"Misfiring. Misjudging where we're at. We do it." Even Songs of Innocence bothers him a little. "Because we spent so long on it, there are areas where it's overcooked. We second-guess ourselves. We doubt the songs. What it really says is you're not confident in your ability... "We've learned," he says firmly. "We'll never spent four-and-a-half years writing and recording a record again. Those days are gone."

Well, tell you what Lar, how about you go ahead and release SOE and let us see for ourselves?

I remember watching the special that Saturday at 'Treasure Island' in Vegas (day after the concert). I kept thinking, while I enjoyed the show it wasn't as spectacular as the special & the band made it seem like.

5 months later they nailed it..:up: ( saw them in November)

...the hell were you doing in your room watching a 3 hour TV special while in Vegas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom