Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my guess... didn't Lanois said about SOI "just announce the new album but don't go for a physical or digital release". That' s the way it gonna be now. SOE will be nearly completely played on the tour. And it will be released somtime in between the different legs. I'm so sure about that!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Weren't they working on a new, allegedly un-piratable format for SOE release with Apple ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html
Backstage at the coliseum was a warren of activity: construction, video programming, sound editing, catering, a rehearsal room with another set of instruments. An HBO crew was shooting a tour documentary. And there was one more curtained nook: recording, with a mobile studio setup. There the next U2 album, “Songs of Experience,” is taking shape.

During the enforced downtime after his accident, Bono had been writing songs, sometimes with a guitarist to play the chords he couldn’t. “At the very end of an album you’re at the height of your powers in terms of writing, arranging and performing,” the Edge said. “It’s a shame that you have to stop then and start the other phase of what we do, which is playing live. This time we haven’t really stopped. Bono is trying to capitalize on that momentum and that sharpness.” New producers have been joining the band in Vancouver, including Andy Barlow from the electronic group Lamb, who cued up some of the U2 tracks in progress like “Red Flag Day,” “Civilization” and “Instrument Flying” as Bono enthusiastically sang along with himself. “We’re keeping the discipline on songs and pushing out the parameters of the sound,” Bono said. “They’re very basic earthy things, irreverent. They’re not lofty themes. One of the things that experience has taught us is to be fully in the moment. What’s the moment? Pop music.

So it's good news that they've been trying to keep the momentum up and even better news that they're recording as they go.

Cool article.

No opening acts, I'm fine with that.

Potentially opening with Ceaderwood Road, blah! My least favorite song from the album and was hoping Reach would be the opener.

New song titles are encouraging because that means the album is progressing. Can't wait to hear the songs!

I actually think Cedarwood (a song I like) is a decent choice for the opener, conceptually, and it seems to fit in with that they're trying to do with these shows.

On the other hand, how well it actually works out and how people respond to it is another matter. It is a bit plodding, and more in the vein of Breathe than Elevation or COBL. It's a good song, but it never really takes off, does it?

Not keen on them staying in Pop Music Realm, but it's their music.

I think it's made Edges guitar playing less unique and slightly boring

Okay, so we are all in agreement that the only song that will definitely be in the new album is Mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom