Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 2009, he has invested nearly $500,000 on One Life No Regrets

Dude, I met that guy in Seattle in 2011! He interviewed Cathal and I, and I even sang a little of Out of Control (not for his film, alas, but Cathal got some video of me). Awesome, good for him.

Because talking about SOE back in September and, y'know, calling the tour Innocence and Expeirence tour wasn't a clue ?

It's Jolyon Thomas - Producer / Musician / Songwriter not Gillian Thomas.

and as Adam said on the Tonight Show, the name of the tour was as much about the tour as it was the 2nd alleged album.

I have zero doubt that U2 planned on releasing 2 albums.

My doubt is that they follow through on their plans.

The quick follow up to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

The Chris Thomas album.

The Rick Rubin album.

Songs of Ascent.

The RedOne / David Guetta album.

The all Danger Mouse produced Songs of Innocence.

Songs of Experience.

This band has a history or making bold proclamations with good intent, and then changing their mind midway through.

To not take everything they say regarding new releases with a gigantic grain of salt is just silly.

Of course we all hope it happens. Patterns of behavior tells us it won't.

Patterns of behavior tell us no, sure, but them naming half of the tour after an album gives me a bit more confidence.

Patterns of behavior tell us no, sure, but them naming half of the tour after an album gives me a bit more confidence.

This might be true. But it's equally true that the tour is so named because, initially, they were going to alternate the I & E themes night to night, something that will now apparently be done via a split set. And of course being that SOI (and its follow up) are named after the Blake collection, it's not so surprising that the tour has the name it does. Let's put it this way, given the theme of the shows, even if they had never intended to release record called Songs of Experience, I still think they'd call it the Innocence + Experience tour.

Don't get me wrong, I think when they made the comments initially about SOE they fully intended to record and release the record, but I wouldn't read that much into the tour name. And in any event, if they decide to abandon SOE altogether, naming the tour partially after it isn't going to stop them.

Given their track record with grand ambitions stalling or not developing combined with the tour name, their promises of an album coming out and actual news reports of them recording new material, I would give Songs Of Experience a 55-60% chance of actually seeing the light of day.

i think they really want it to happen, and they need it to happen, in a way that hasn't ever been true before.

as Gavin Friday said in the NYT article, no one really listened to SOI. that album was eclipsed by the botched release, and while it generated attention, and did wonders for their back catalogue, it destroyed the album for the merely mildly interested.

if they want to spend 2016 on the road, and if they want to rebound (like they always have) they need SOE by the end of this year or the beginning of next.

the clock is ticking. while they can tour forever based on their history, that's not what they want to do. that would be even more out of character than actually releasing an album when they say they are going to release an album.

if they are smart, they'll play the strongest 4-5 songs during the tour (1-2 per night) and get the kinks worked out.

If they have a big song in the vault, I would release it as a new single from songs of experience to create additional excitement for the tour to unload the remaining tickets out there then release the album 2nd leg of tour. Similar to NLOTH, SOI didn't have a hit. Hopefully for their ambitions they've found it already or find it backstage during the tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

New U2 album could be finished later this year - The Edge - Independent.ie
THE Edge has revealed to Independent.ie that a new U2 album could be finished later this year.

The Edge added that the follow-up album to 2014’s Songs Of Innocence titled Songs Of Experience is “not finished yet. But we have a lot of material that we are really happy with. We have been working on it, recently, but it is coming together. I would say it is a lot more developed than Zooropa [the 1993 U2 album] was when we started the Zoo TV Tour. "

"I guess it really depends whether we feel it is worth pushing for within the ten weeks that we have at the end of this tour," he says of Songs Of Experience.

"We might just go for it. We might just say, ‘It is more important to get it out than to make it perfect.’ Which was the truth with Zooropa. And it is a lot of people’s favourite album!” The Edge smiles, which he does a lot.

“We love to do stuff that kind of breaks rhyme and you are not doing the obvious shit. It gets more challenging. In the case of Passengers [the 1995 side-project album recorded by U2 and Brian Eno under the pseudonym of Passengers], it was not so bad because no one thought of it as a U2 album. But there are no kind of small U2 albums any more. You can’t sneak anything out."

"The magnifying glass is on every single thing we do. I loved when [Bruce] Springsteen brought out Nebraska. A weird acoustic album.“

As for how the Songs Of Experience album might sound, The Edge says that there is an influence of dance and electronica “but", he quickly qualifies, ”it is quite malleable. And actually the last few mixes are quite raw again. So, it is really too early to say, I have to be honest."

"We could make all the announcements but then it would probably serve to make a fool out of us at the end when the album comes out – and the album is a country and western album!” The Edge laughs.

It clearly was named what it was named based on the intent to release Songs Of Experience.

The question is if the intent is fulfilled.

Yea, I know technically why it's named that. But they can easily spin it a different way if they fail to release anything.

I can so picture Bono: "We kept the name (lie) for the tour because it occurred to us that when you take these songs out into the arena, they aren't children anymore, they're grown up. And this is like us letting our children out into the world, shedding their innocence, losing their overproduced glossiness"

Yea, I know technically why it's named that. But they can easily spin it a different way if they fail to release anything.

I can so picture Bono: "We kept the name (lie) for the tour because it occurred to us that when you take these songs out into the arena, they aren't children anymore, they're grown up. And this is like us letting our children out into the world, shedding their innocence, losing their overproduced glossiness"

Well yes, and the spin has already started if you listen to what Adam said on the Tonight Show

what did Adam say on the tonight show?

I think it was something about the name of the tour being connected with the release SoE as well.

I have the idea that the next phase of the tour is strongly connected with the release of SoE.

SoI was all about the start, playing in small venues, and etc. SoE is about the current state, being the best band in the world, playing in stadiuns

We have all been burned before by the new album is coming spin.

However, based on all of the comments by the band, the tour name and the fact that they are very active right now tells me it is definitely coming the only question is will it be this December, next Spring or Next December.

Yes, they can change direction, producers, managers, etc... and the whole thing can go away and never see the light of day but if I were a betting man, which I am, I would say....

20% chance this Winter
75% chance next spring
5% next winter

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

"I guess it really depends whether we feel it is worth pushing for within the ten weeks that we have at the end of this tour," he says of Songs Of Experience.

How do u guys interpret this? What ten weeks is he talking about? Do u think he means from the start of the European tour on Sept. 4? Because the tour ends in mid November, so that's only 6 six till the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Or maybe they give themselves ten weeks holiday after the tour ends before they start working on the next Spiderman II musical. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom