SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things:

1. I'm not quite sold on the World AIDS Day thing. Isn't the point of the day to be about AIDS awareness? U2 releasing an album and basically screaming "Pay attention to us and our creative efforts" on the same day would be a little tacky, no? And cross-purposes considering their advocacy.

2. As for the band giving away proceeds from the album to benefit AIDS research, this makes me wonder what's the point of them being on Interscope. Apple may have subsidized the previous album, so the record company was able to make a profit, but in this case wouldn't Interscope lose a considerable amount of money if it's all going to charity? Sure the band doesn't need the money and can make it off touring, but does Interscope get anything from ticket sales?

3. Since when did "Olaf" become a first-name-basis celebrity on this board? The last two times I saw this guy mentioned I was like "Who the fuck is that?" It's bad enough we have Phallus Shoe obsessives here, now we're elevating random journalists to that level? Is this guy some local Irish celebrity writer? I know there are well-known insider media people often associated with U2 and who have hot tips on news like Dave Fanning or Neil McCormick but those guys have been around for a long time; I don't remember seeing Olaf's name before this year.

Mr T has done all the U2 pieces in Hotpress for quite some years now, and is well connected and respected. And is also not a "blow smoke up their arses" type of a journo!

Didn't they do this with Invisible? The money went towards RED didn't it? Maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.

Good question about Interscope's involvement. Maybe half the money goes towards RED? It just feels like a good way to get back into good graces with the non-diehards.

Mr T has done all the U2 pieces in Hotpress for quite some years now, and is well connected and respected. And is also not a "blow smoke up their arses" type of a journo!

Yep, his writing about U2 goes back at least to 1998, if not further.

3. Since when did "Olaf" become a first-name-basis celebrity on this board? The last two times I saw this guy mentioned I was like "Who the fuck is that?" It's bad enough we have Phallus Shoe obsessives here, now we're elevating random journalists to that level? Is this guy some local Irish celebrity writer? I know there are well-known insider media people often associated with U2 and who have hot tips on news like Dave Fanning or Neil McCormick but those guys have been around for a long time; I don't remember seeing Olaf's name before this year.

this made me LOL

Olaf now ranks with Neil McC, Fanning, Brian Boyd, Andy Green. Probably just the Hot Press connection. But he's def on the inside track..

RD - What do you think of this Worlds AIDS Day theory?

I dont think there's a grand marketing plan tied to it. It's probably not just coincidence either though.. maybe there will be two versions of the album.. The standard and then a (RED) edition, or something. The deluxe RED edition would have some bonus tracks, mixes, etc.

It's logical to think they could have a tie in with World AIDS Day. I would rather it be an album release without any additional release method or madness to it however. It would be a great thing for a percentage of sales to go to AIDS drugs or some nod to it but I just want the damn album to be very good on the music alone and as gimmick free feeling as possible.

Last edited:
I dont think there's a grand marketing plan tied to it. It's probably not just coincidence either though.. maybe there will be two versions of the album.. The standard and then a (RED) edition, or something. The deluxe RED edition would have some bonus tracks, mixes, etc.

That would fit with how they normally handle the RED campaign stuff at their shows. You pay a big price, but the cash goes to a good cause and you get up close at a show. In this case extra songs.

Or maybe they release Red Flag Day as a single on the same day the album comes out and the money from the single goes towards RED? It just sounds like something Bono would do.

I wonder if Bono tried calling it (RED) Flay Day at one point...

That would fit with how they normally handle the RED campaign stuff at their shows. You pay a big price, but the cash goes to a good cause and you get up close at a show. In this case extra songs.

Or maybe they release Red Flag Day as a single on the same day the album comes out and the money from the single goes towards RED? It just sounds like something Bono would do.

I wonder if Bono tried calling it (RED) Flay Day at one point...

(RED) Flag Day (There Is an End to AIDS)

If its 75 year old Harrison Ford falling off that tightrope (who am I kidding, he'd never fall off), he'd land on his feet safely and jump back up the 20,000 feet to the tightrope to finish the walk, no Bukking parachute needed.

There's a lot going on in this post, and all of it is good.

oh jeesus please stop the crappy haikus my eyes are hurting

It's definitely happening. These listening parties are for the press. It's just a question about when they can publish
Nice, that's good to hear. A press push solely focused on the album and music - rather than the release method - is just what the band needs to do for this record IMO.

Ooo, ooo, missed this (and Sept 8 thing). :hyper: :lol: Thanks, RD!
Hard to keep up esp when following all the (USA) :huh: political stuff as well - without internet at home.

Sorry I broke the haiku run!

Last edited:
no haiku I submit this instead : )

:edge: (In recording studio) *takes SOE digital master out of safe*
:bono: (out of corner of his eye) "Er, Edge, what are you doing?"
:edge: "mumble, mumble".
:bono: What was that?"
:edge: "I want to check track 3 again".
:bono: *face begins to turn pink* " Oh, bloody, fuckin' hell, no! Not this, this time!" *Snatches digi-master out of Edge's hands and runs away*
:edge: Hey! :angry: *Runs after bono.*
:adam: and :larry: *walk back into the main studio room from a coffee break as the other two are running out of the room towards the hallway which leads towards the lobby door as strings of colorful language float back into the studio.*
*Silence for a few seconds*
:larry: "Think we should go after them?"
:adam: "Em, I don't think so. I've got a 18 month old to think about. They'll work it out". *Picks up NYT and sits down.*

This and the rest of the story will be documented in a future Li'l U2 comic on the @U2 site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom