SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
man there was one shithead who deserved to be banned a few times for spreading totally false rumors. had an old(er) school Bono picture for his avatar. you guys know who I'm talking about. the worst.

Yeah there's been a few - all I'm saying is, this guy isn't that bad, and the situation he describes may genuinely have occurred. Doesn't mean it is true, but also doesn't mean he deserves the reaction he got.

Question is how and when we'll get our first official news of new music. Might be..

- the single drop on Sept 8ish
- traditional announcement in advance of release (Single in Sept, Album in December)
- u2.com member exclusive
- clip of band performing new music live in studio coupled with announcement
- some sort of social media buildup with snippets and sneak peaks/teases

Question is how and when we'll get our first official news of new music. Might be..

- the single drop on Sept 8ish
- traditional announcement in advance of release (Single in Sept, Album in December)
- u2.com member exclusive
- clip of band performing new music live in studio coupled with announcement
- some sort of social media buildup with snippets and sneak peaks/teases

I'm hoping for that last thing the most. We haven't had any official album teasing from U2 since NLOTH. I'd love to see them utilise social media and modern technology more than they have done, and reveal tiny snippets of new songs.

Maybe in the days before Sep 8, they could have clips on instagram/facebook/whatever, that have just the tiniest segments from The Best Thing or The Black Out, with each successive clip revealing a bit more.

And once the single is out, we may have to wait almost 3 months for the album, but hopefully the press embargo will be lifted, and we'll get a flood of song descriptions from all those present at the listening sessions. Getting song descriptions is my favourite memory of the build up to the NLOTH era - I remember Every Breaking Wave being described as "a With Or Without You style pulser", and being so hyped (pretty funny considering we wouldn't hear it for another 5 years).

I guess it's a question of whether they'll drop the single with no warning, have some cryptic teases, or announce it and the album beforehand.

One month
giphy.gif

I would love if they went the "social media buildup" route.

I am hopeful that we won't have to wait the full month for some kind of morsel. At the very least, we are 25 days away from the Detroit show, so I'd guess around 23 days till the band is in Detroit and back on the grid, sound checking, signing for fans, etc.

One month

:hyper:

Though a bit strange they wouldn't put it out before the final leg of the tour starts, assuming they will incorporate it into the set.

If this holds then I'll be at a show just days after in Indy - should be interesting!w

The social media build up is the way to go, especially if they want RELEVANCE!!!!

Even something like what Radiohead did for their singles (granted they released the album a few days after the the singles dropped).

It would be a nice gesture to the fans too, as we would be the ones eating up the content versus your highschool audience. If the clips/music are done well, the buildup could help propel the single right out of the gate.

The social media build up is the way to go, especially if they want RELEVANCE!!!!

Even something like what Radiohead did for their singles (granted they released the album a few days after the the singles dropped).

It would be a nice gesture to the fans too, as we would be the ones eating up the content versus your highschool audience. If the clips/music are done well, the buildup could help propel the single right out of the gate.

I would love to have another documentary for this album like they did with the unforgettable fire. Seeing their creative process throughout the past few years would be great.

I'll be seeing them on September 10th, so I'm hoping that shit gets real right around that time!

Either way, I'm seeing U2 in a month, so I'm a happy camper!

I would love to have another documentary for this album like they did with the unforgettable fire. Seeing their creative process throughout the past few years would be great.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be pleasurable to watch them throw out any remaining Danger Mouse material from the SOI sessions and work with mostly inferior producers instead, and then finally decide to do it over with generic Steve Lillywhite production!

No thanks. It's painful enough reading about these idiotic decisions.

I think Jolyon Thomas and Andy Barlow are on par with Brian Burton (Danger Mouse). Would not call them inferior. But yeah... would love to hear "BabySOI".

If they can manage to somehow keep the spirit of Barlows and Thomas work on SOE, I don't mind Lillywhite to be the one who tries to form a cohesive album based on creative ideas

Something popped up in my FB memories feed a few days ago, it was a link to an article talking about how there was a book in the works about the 360 tour, and likened it to U2 at the End of the World. Guess that never happened.

Sure would like to read that. And see the I&E documentary that was "supposed to" be shown with the Paris show on HBO.

:grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom