Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were a few things that were made clear in the articles and interviews leading up to these shows that would have all of that away. They weren't U2 articles, per se - more general Sphere articles.

They spoke of the audio systems having "immersive mode" and "concert mode." The concert mode wouldn't be sending different audio to different places in the venue and would be more consistent across all speakers.

There was also talk about how there was an hour or so time limit before the screen started to make people nauseous and disoriented. It's kinda why I thought there would be an intermission, but they went this route instead.

I do think there were other opportunities where they could have used the screen more. It's the first time out. They had to balance using the technology without overwhelming both the crowd and the actual performance. I think they did that well, but I also think if they were to come back and do a different show that they'd approach it with a better understanding of the venue and how a crowd will react.

Last night’s show was incredible. Well worth the wait and totally deserves the hype and positive reviews.

Some of those videos will prepare you for what the effects will look like, but none of them can prepare you for the scale and impact of them. GA is mind blowing to be so close to the band but then to look around and up, to see the whole canvas they’re using.

It’s quite unnerving just how much they can make it feel like you’re suddenly outside, staring up at a sky.

The sheer scale of the effects and the transitions are also incredible - the videos just can’t prepare you for them. Yes, EBTTRT is even more mind-blowing in person… yes it looks like the stage is rising… and yes, a woman next to us had to leave as she thought she was going to keel over or be sick.

Lads are on-form and very relaxed with the banter amongst themselves. I’ve not seen them that relaxed in a long time. I swear Adam missed the first few bars of Mysterious Ways (I think) for some reason or another and had a joke about it, I think Bono quipped about it being nice of him to join them or something.

The noise of the weather effects which have replaced the Zoo TV bombs as an intro for UTEOTW are earth-shaking.

It’s all a bit of a blur to be honest, definitely needs some time to process it.

Only negatives…. For GA, they really need to get some more merch stands or double the size of the one they have. We didn’t bother with early wristbands, just turned up at half six and got a few lines from the rail.

Pauli’s DJ set was good fun.. he remarked about seeing the same faces on the rail when he was coming in to the arena…

The sound was good but I’ve heard better. That’s a minor criticism, but sometimes it seemed to sacrifice some clarity for volume. Adam’s bass was really low and rumbling on some songs - must be using an octave pedal on some. But it wasn’t as crisp as I thought it might be.

I'm also a little surprised they didn't use more of the spacial sound effects. I mean you have 160,000 speakers might as well use them to their capabilities. The sound can move wherever you want it to, we kind of felt that with the helicopters. Even if it was just a simple Hello Hello at the beginning of Vertigo where it sounded like each Hello was coming from one side or another.

I really feel like they tamed things down to not overwhelm people, or maybe afraid all of the technology of the Sphere could overshadow the band, but I hope after they have their little break they turn it up a notch and really use all the capabilities of the Sphere.

Agreed. Swing for the fence, boys.

Also, saw some people wearing Dramamine patches. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Now that enough people have gone we need to discuss the absolute strangest part of Sphere...

All the damn music goes away when you go to the bar or the bathroom.

Hell, you can't even hear anything as you are coming in through the tunnel to the floor or your section!

Hi everyone!

Just returned from Saturdays show (Oct 7th). Went in spoiled free, just saw a few stills and that was it. No videos or setlist.

Took my 12 year old son, his 2nd U2, and he really enjoyed it. Few notes/reviews:

-Intro to Zoo Station was epic. Best thing they've done since Pop/Mofo.

-I kind of figured they'll do the ZooTV run for the AB songs and it was great. All of the songs sounded great.

-Bono's voice was excellent. He sounded a little worn during Zoo Station & Fly but got going after that. Got a little watery eyed when he did his falsetto.

-Enjoyed the acoustic set. Nice break from the Sphere onslaught. Band seemed to be really enjoying themsevles.

-The only hiccup of the show was the Tryin To Your Arms. The balloon was fine but the swinging/exchange was a little akward. Felt forced.

-So Cruel sounded great. Sounded like its been played for years.

-Outro of WOWY/Beautiful Day was very touching and well done. Starting w/ UTEOW I could tell they were going for a 'save the earth' message and it was fine. I know they were treading fine water w/ lot of politics in the USA and being at the Sphere. It was subtle and fitting.

Overall excellent show. U2 and their crew excecuted the Sphere with flying colors. Some breath taking moments (Zoo thru Wild Horses, UV, Streets, Vertigo, WOWY, BD) that you have to expereince in person. Video does not do it justice.

I hope U2 fans will get to expereince The Sphere. I have a feeling we'll have a new album in Fall 2024 and a full tour in 25.

-The only hiccup of the show was the Tryin To Your Arms. The balloon was fine but the swinging/exchange was a little akward. Felt forced.

100% this, and it was 100% Bono's fault and nothing to do with the girl. He just went on and on with the vows weirdness. No one got pulled up Sunday, so I think he got the note after the show.

So since Bono said they're doing an album every week, but also they're lazy and carried over AOH and then also didn't commit to a single one this past week but had multiple TUF, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this week's album (starting either tomorrow or Friday) will be TUF, featuring a 3 song set of Bad, Pride, and MLK.

And then the following week will be TJT, with a set of ISHFWILF, and then a couple others, maybe BTBS, RTS, and/or RHMT? Hopefully the 3 song set won't be a permanent number and they go back to 4 at some point or even 5. But, being realistic, it seems like they're struggling with adding new songs to the setlist for whatever reason.

So since Bono said they're doing an album every week, but also they're lazy and carried over AOH and then also didn't commit to a single one this past week but had multiple TUF, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this week's album (starting either tomorrow or Friday) will be TUF, featuring a 3 song set of Bad, Pride, and MLK.

And then the following week will be TJT, with a set of ISHFWILF, and then a couple others, maybe BTBS, RTS, and/or RHMT? Hopefully the 3 song set won't be a permanent number and they go back to 4 at some point or even 5. But, being realistic, it seems like they're struggling with adding new songs to the setlist for whatever reason.

Alternate take: THEY LIE! :sad::lol:

I loved the shows this weekend, but we got hosed with the middle set. Two and 1/2 songs instead of 4 and Pride, both nights. Yes, the dedication Sunday was special and all, but Adam, who rarely lies as much (probably because he doesn't talk as much) said NO PRIDE.

He is fine with them. Also, everyone in town — locals and tourists, and we’re going out and meeting folks — is positively buzzing about it, and not just the hipsters in the hipster coffee shop.

This is as good as they could hope for. And they’ve created an entirely new experience for some very old songs in a venue that really is from the future. They met the moment — it will be in a career highlights reel along with Live Aid, JT album, Zoo TV, and the post-9/11 Super Bowl.

It was the right call so to do this without Larry, honestly.

Thank you! Always love reading your thoughts.

I have experienced the same thing re: buzz from the general public and it's everywhere: casual fans, non fans, hipsters, tech nerds, social media, etc, etc.

Definitely the right call, which I thought all along. However, I had as much of a clue as anyone if it would be this well received/put them back on the map in a positive way.

So happy it has, and I agree, this is of such a mindblowing scale, and they are introducing this whole new experience to the world so well, that this goes in a career highlight reel!

I love how, much like the initial decision to switch directions after the 1980s with AB/Zoo TV, this is happening because they took a big risk and it paid off!

I think they deserve a ton of credit here! For all the talk of them playing everything safe, they come off a decade where they've taken a hit to their image in the general public with a huge risk, an unprecedented leap of faith, and it pays off! Not to mention going ahead without Larry, which no doubt wasn't on the radar when they were first approached about this in the "ideas" phase.

There was also talk about how there was an hour or so time limit before the screen started to make people nauseous and disoriented. It's kinda why I thought there would be an intermission, but they went this route instead.

I do think there were other opportunities where they could have used the screen more. It's the first time out. They had to balance using the technology without overwhelming both the crowd and the actual performance. I think they did that well, but I also think if they were to come back and do a different show that they'd approach it with a better understanding of the venue and how a crowd will react.

That's interesting about the time limit on the screen for disorientation, kinda makes sense. Their use of colour and effects was incredibly effective though when they weren't going full on with imagery. Ultra Violet was pretty stunning for being very simplistic. I think they got the balance just right, but I'm sure they and other artists will learn from each other and it will develop over time.

I've listened back to a few of the short videos I took now and the sound is crystal clear on them, lots of clarity and well defined. So I guess its no surprise that the technology on an iPhone is better than the aging ears inside my head.

Haven’t been but maybe on purpose to give people a breather?
I believe it's the speakers. The "beam forming" technology and what not. The audio is beamed directly to the seats and to the floor, so it doesn't actually bleed into the concourse areas.

Any concert you've ever been to when you head to the bathroom or the bar you can still hear the music. Sure it's muffled and a bit distorted, but you can hear it. At this place the sound just drops as soon as you leave the floor. It's probably why they added those Eno-esque flourishes when you're back there. Otherwise it would just be silent.

We never left GA until the end of the show so didn't experience that weirdness with the sound.

They were playing that background/ambient loop at Zoo Station too. It worked well - there was always something going on and occasionally you get those little bursts of sounds or lyrics that you knew from songs. I did wonder if Eno had some hand in it.

Last edited:
We never left GA until the end of the show so didn't experience that weirdness with the sound.

They were playing that background/ambient loop at Zoo Station too. It worked well - there was always something going on and occasionally you get those little bursts of sounds or lyrics that you knew from songs. I did wonder if Eno had some hand in it.

I loved the “So Cruel” bits. Finally hearing that song live after wanting to for 30+ years is an all-time U2 highlight for me. And they played it beautifully.

I’ll register my one legit complaint: no b-stage. I did miss that and maybe it made the whole thing less audience-interactive than it could have been?

(Also, I see no reason why they can’t play 25 songs and clock in at 2:20-30, but that’s an ongoing complaint I’ve had.)

I'm sure the Eno track was listed as "Eno Choral Intro" or something similar on one of the first nights' setlists but I can't find it now.

I totally forgot that my wife had never seen Acrobat or Love is Blindness being played live - she was totally blown away by Edge's guitar work on both of those.

I'm sure the Eno track was listed as "Eno Choral Intro" or something similar on one of the first nights' setlists but I can't find it now.

I totally forgot that my wife had never seen Acrobat or Love is Blindness being played live - she was totally blown away by Edge's guitar work on both of those.

yes it was.

and it certainly sounds like Eno type work. i do wonder if it's new or an older piece that they just stole.

A few people have mentioned the closing song and wondered what it is (I haven't been to my show so I haven't actually heard it yet), but U2Songs posted a little something about it:

https://u2songs.com/shows/2023_10_1...ZWNxrZs0NPEqRVNa17cQr0mHH9epjZF6vaAzG6o7spdgk

"And at the end of the night, Bono returns to the mic to sing along to the song which is played on the PA after each show, “Glorify”, an as-yet-unreleased song. He sings a few of the opening lines before taking his leave"

So it is a U2 song? Everyone is wondering about it. Gospel hip-hop mixed with U2 Bono type vocal sounds

A few people have mentioned the closing song and wondered what it is (I haven't been to my show so I haven't actually heard it yet), but U2Songs posted a little something about it:

https://u2songs.com/shows/2023_10_1...ZWNxrZs0NPEqRVNa17cQr0mHH9epjZF6vaAzG6o7spdgk

"And at the end of the night, Bono returns to the mic to sing along to the song which is played on the PA after each show, “Glorify”, an as-yet-unreleased song. He sings a few of the opening lines before taking his leave"

I was just wondering this. Every night people are asking what the song is. Some people saying they thought it sounded like Bono. I had checked U2songs and they said they didn't recognize it. Seems like the simple explanation would be an unreleased song from the band?

Surprised there isn’t more buzz around this. Bono must be disappointed in us.

I liked it. I remember thinking “cool, nice song. I don’t recognize it, not sure what it is.” Had a passing thought it was a new unreleased u2 song but then thought naaaaah ?*♀️

By the by, I also really loved the stripped back Achtung medley that was being played in the lobby, bathrooms, concourse, etc. Very haunting, sci-fi feel, but recognizably Achtung songs. I want that mix for late-night ambiance in my house.

Back
Top Bottom