Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could see a mix of abstract art/sound responsive visualizers with band/instrument closeups

U2's typical TIGHT NARRATIVE.
having just seen (and really enjoyed) Madonna's retrospective/celebration tour where she attempts to compose a TIGHT NARRATIVE, i missed U2's comparative tightness when her show kind of goes off the rails and into chaos about 45-minutes in after a strong, TIGHT start reflecting her early years in early-80s NYC, AIDS crisis, etc.

The music makes me want to vomit, alas

I prefer the studio work because A) the focus is more on the song composition itself rather than exploration and extension of it and B) there’s no annoying crowd… which is a shame b/c the live presentation itself is great.

What's a good Phish album to give 'em a go for a complete newbie?

Oh boy. The default response is the live versions eclipse the studio versions but instead of that rabbit hole…

Honestly if you’re not jam inclined, the latter stuff is IMHO very solid - Joy and Sigma Oasis feel more song focused to me but Fuego has a great flow. Open to more exploration? Start at the beginning. Junta and Picture of Nectar probably the best of that early run.

Where I grew up there weren’t many trees.
I know he's probably talking about another place than Ireland but it's hard for me to picture Ireland without it being green as fuck so that lyric almost takes me out of the song.

I know he's probably talking about another place than Ireland but it's hard for me to picture Ireland without it being green as fuck so that lyric almost takes me out of the song.
well there was at least one cherry blossom tree where you grew up, boner. so what is it, huh? WHAT IS IT?!?

Peace on Earth was the most blueballed I have ever felt during a U2 show. The long speech beforehand made me hopeful they will play Please.

I got the tree deficit song instead. Oh well, at least the speech and "SHUT UP!" in the prelude were memorable enough.

Peace on Earth was the most blueballed I have ever felt during a U2 show. The long speech beforehand made me hopeful they will play Please.

I got the tree deficit song instead. Oh well, at least the speech and "SHUT UP!" in the prelude were memorable enough.
Lol. It wasn't Pop, but at least it was rare...
Feisty Bono!

I went to the Saturday show. Was really wonderful. Most importantly, my fiancée came with me and I really enjoyed showing her the band that has been my favorite since I was 16.

A few other thoughts:
  • Felt like the show was lacking in great transitions. Vertigo -> Streets was weird in particular but worked better than I thought (good visual red transition)
  • Middle section had WLCTT and LRM, which I loved but absolutely no one knew them, which was sad
  • In general the audience seemed moribund except during the encore. I'm not sure anyone there had ever listened to Achtung Baby before outside of One and Mysterious Ways. But Elevation got them going like crazy, for some reason. (Stupid song but I really appreciated its live power.)
  • Bono's voice was stronger than I expected
  • Acrobat and TTTYAATW were the two Achtung songs that killed it unexpectedly IMO. Was sad that in particular Acrobat didn't get much of an audience reaction because it was incredible and we waited years for that one
  • Vegas visuals in the encore were great
  • The Sphere looked great but really bothered me as a venue in some logistical ways that aren't worth going into
    • Not unrelatedly, I will be happy to never go back to Las Vegas in my life
I'm vaguely sad that this tour is winding down and hope we get one more out of them.

thanks for the insight

wouldn't mind hearing the logistical venue issues when you have time time.
The logistical issues:

There was a huge bottleneck getting in. Lots of people struggled with Ticketmaster's NFC system. More readers and instructions ahead of getting to the readers would have helped.

The concessions line was long and the people processing it were slow / inefficient. They were very chatty and were mixing drinks on the spot. Fun I guess but I like efficiency :)

Rideshare pickup was bad because they made some weird design choices in the flow of how to get cars out (e.g., didn't have a free-flowing exit, cars with passengers could be bottlenecked by cars without passengers). We left during BD and got a car after about 20 minutes. I read on Reddit that others said to budget an hour. Drivers seemed to be avoiding it - we had two cancel on us.

The logistical issues:

There was a huge bottleneck getting in. Lots of people struggled with Ticketmaster's NFC system. More readers and instructions ahead of getting to the readers would have helped.

The concessions line was long and the people processing it were slow / inefficient. They were very chatty and were mixing drinks on the spot. Fun I guess but I like efficiency :)

Rideshare pickup was bad because they made some weird design choices in the flow of how to get cars out (e.g., didn't have a free-flowing exit, cars with passengers could be bottlenecked by cars without passengers). We left during BD and got a car after about 20 minutes. I read on Reddit that others said to budget an hour. Drivers seemed to be avoiding it - we had two cancel on us.
did you have seats or GA? the GA experience was the exact opposite when i went, so i'm assuming you were in seats. i never actually made it out to the main concourse... but the bar behind the GA floor was super efficient (although i found it slightly dumb that they had to have someone open and pour my beer from the self checkout/serve yourself section... but i believe it's state law)

re: rideshare - yea it's an issue. but i feel it's an issue at every arena or stadium in some way shape or form. but for the sphere in particular - i think they've just assumed that a large portion of the crowd is going to walk in from Strip hotels. not that it helps you now - but i always tell people to walk across the street to Treasure Island if you absolutely must take an Uber/Lyft/taxi.

the shows also let out right around prime club going time - so taxis/ubers/lyfts are already at a premium.

Vegas is an absolute shithole, the only way to get around is on foot in my opinion. I would not subject myself to the horrors of trying to get around on the road if I can avoid it.

I bet Larry says Vegas is an absolute shit hole too, he probably dislikes it even more than I do. The sunshine is great, that's for sure. I still had a lovely time seeing U2 there at the Sphere and way back in 2001. Quick exit is best for me, anyone who loves it there I understand that too.

Yes walking is the best way to get around. Wear sneakers, just not those hideous Trump gold sneakers unless you're secretly into that sort of thing

• In general the audience seemed moribund except during the encore. I'm not sure anyone there had ever listened to Achtung Baby before outside of One and Mysterious Ways. But Elevation got them going like crazy, for some reason. (Stupid song but I really appreciated its live power.)
That’s most U2 shows in my experience. Doesn’t make me enjoy it less.

Back
Top Bottom