Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also there are 1000000 videos of it online.... if you posted this two weeks ago, now you're onto something... but I hear you....

Does anyone know when their next concert is? :drool:

I thought this review from someone knowledgeable about the band was pretty perceptive. Poses some interesting questions about concerts going forward and U2 as well. Putting it here because it discusses the setlist:

[TWEET]1709255301688353229[/TWEET]

I liked that read, thanks for linking.

Proof that this place is a ghost town..

Imagine someone posting this 10 years ago lol

Perhaps, but if the people holding onto IEM copies won't share them, the excitement might be sort of muted anyway!

Still cool to hear though. And I imagine the fan club will probably do something with the soundboard recordings down the road, but obviously wouldn't mind hearing a whole show of this sometime soon.

Its such a little thing, but I'm beyond excited that Bono has brought back the intro refrain for Zoo Station that he used on the arena tour.

No, I loved that as well.

And this has probably been mentioned before, but the first 8 songs are the in the exact same order as they were on the first ZooTV Indoor leg.

Now we can question whether or not that's the best order in 2023; I'd say One makes more sense as a closer to the first "half", because of its stature, than Tryin' to Throw.

I'm also not sure why they flipped Ultraviolet and Acrobat; I think So Cruel would feed better into the former, but what do I know?

Vertigo into Streets needs to not happen anymore.

Vertigo after Atomic City is fine but there just needs to be a better transition from those rockers into Streets.

Still can’t believe on Zooropa’s 30th anniversary they couldn’t be bothered to put a single track in the nightly setlist. The title track, Lemon, or Numb would be perfect for visual accompaniment.

And if they do wind up playing anything, it’s probably going to be acoustic Stay or The Wanderer during the rotational segment, with just video of the band playing. What a waste.

Anyway, listening to the bootleg, it occurred to me, for all the shit we give Bono about the updated SOS lyrics, I love the change he made on Love Rescue Me:

“The ruins to the right of me/will soon have lost sight of me” is now “the ruins to the right of us/sure look a lot like us” , which is a great reflection 35 years later.

Anyway, listening to the bootleg, it occurred to me, for all the shit we give Bono about the updated SOS lyrics, I love the change he made on Love Rescue Me:

“The ruins to the right of me/will soon have lost sight of me” is now “the ruins to the right of us/sure look a lot like us” , which is a great reflection 35 years later.

I was thinking this last night - makes me wonder if it was a confidante for SOS but just sounded too similar to other sparse songs?

Still can’t believe on Zooropa’s 30th anniversary they couldn’t be bothered to put a single track in the nightly setlist. The title track, Lemon, or Numb would be perfect for visual accompaniment.

And if they do wind up playing anything, it’s probably going to be acoustic Stay or The Wanderer during the rotational segment, with just video of the band playing. What a waste.

I can see how in their mind, based on the way the show is laid out, that it doesn't fit anywhere else in a set that is

8 AB tracks
4 rotational
4 AB tracks
6 encore tracks (pure greatest hits)

Of course, they could have arranged the set list differently. It is a bit weird that they allowed themselves to break up and reorder AB but only to an extent. I think they could have way more leeway with the setlist if, say, they saved One or Mysterious Ways for the encore and allowed those slots in the main set to be taken up by a less mainstream hit.

Anyway, moment of truth tonight to see how they switch up the rotational set. Thought Saturday was the moment of truth, but I guess not. So the question is really how lazy are they. The ideal fan version of rotational album set would be rotating all 13 albums (doubling up to cover 25 shows). In my pessimistic brain, I thought the worst case scenario would be three albums rotated total, played once each every week. Repeating RAH twice in a row introduces some other pessimistic possibilities - one album per weekend, potentially repeated later weekends. But also, I think they could go super lazy and do like, the first half of shows are all RAH and the second half are a different album.

I guess another possibility is not keeping the rotational set to single albums, keeping AIWIY and adding something else, who knows. We'll see!

Last edited:
Perhaps, but if the people holding onto IEM copies won't share them, the excitement might be sort of muted anyway!

Still cool to hear though. And I imagine the fan club will probably do something with the soundboard recordings down the road, but obviously wouldn't mind hearing a whole show of this sometime soon.
How absurd is it that people get ahold of these things and then horde them for themselves, as if they had any part in creating the music.

Share it with the community you cowards. You'll be beloved.

We all know there's a LOT of recordings that you all are sitting in beyond these shows. Share it with the world.

I can see how in their mind, based on the way the show is laid out, that it doesn't fit anywhere else in a set that is

8 AB tracks
4 rotational
4 AB tracks
6 encore tracks (pure greatest hits)

Of course, they could have arranged the set list differently. It is a bit weird that they allowed themselves to break up and reorder AB but only to an extent. I think they could have way more leeway with the setlist if, say, they saved One or Mysterious Ways for the encore and allowed those slots in the main set to be taken up by a less mainstream hit.

Anyway, moment of truth tonight to see how they switch up the rotational set. Thought Saturday was the moment of truth, but I guess not. So the question is really how lazy are they. The ideal fan version of rotational album set would be rotating all 13 albums (doubling up to cover 25 shows). In my pessimistic brain, I thought the worst case scenario would be three albums rotated total, played once each every week. Repeating RAH twice in a row introduces some other pessimistic possibilities - one album per weekend, potentially repeated later weekends. But also, I think they could go super lazy and do like, the first half of shows are all RAH and the second half are a different album.

I guess another possibility is not keeping the rotational set to single albums, keeping AIWIY and adding something else, who knows. We'll see!

I'd love more variety too, but with a sit-in drummer, I can see an entirely more realistic scenario where they have a week or two of each iteration of the "rotation". Its not like Bram wrote these songs with the band. They would need down time between shows to bring the alternates up to performance quality.

Imo this is the biggest difference between Larry and his sub. I feel like of any of the band members, you could call out any tune and Larry would be able to bang it out from memory. I have the honour of knowing a couple drummers like this... the rest of the band plays catchup. There's just something about a really good drummer's ear, I'm not sure what it is..

I'd love more variety too, but with a sit-in drummer, I can see an entirely more realistic scenario where they have a week or two of each iteration of the "rotation". Its not like Bram wrote these songs with the band. They would need down time between shows to bring the alternates up to performance quality.

Imo this is the biggest difference between Larry and his sub. I feel like of any of the band members, you could call out any tune and Larry would be able to bang it out from memory. I have the honour of knowing a couple drummers like this... the rest of the band plays catchup. There's just something about a really good drummer's ear, I'm not sure what it is..

Considering it’s acoustic, if they’re doing SOS arrangements, a lot of those don’t even have a drum part.

How absurd is it that people get ahold of these things and then horde them for themselves, as if they had any part in creating the music.

Share it with the community you cowards. You'll be beloved.

We all know there's a LOT of recordings that you all are sitting in beyond these shows. Share it with the world.

lol - agreed. Remember the guy that hunted out the oldest U2 recording (including songs no one but the lucky few in Ireland in the late 70s had heard) and then just said “fuck you” to everyone and listens to it himself?

I feel sorry for him more than I’m annoyed now. It’s a very sad thing to think that keeping that to yourself is preferable to discussing it with passionate fans.

lol - agreed. Remember the guy that hunted out the oldest U2 recording (including songs no one but the lucky few in Ireland in the late 70s had heard) and then just said “fuck you” to everyone and listens to it himself?

I feel sorry for him more than I’m annoyed now. It’s a very sad thing to think that keeping that to yourself is preferable to discussing it with passionate fans.

That was exactly my reaction when I started reading these comments. Still can’t believe that’s how was never shared with the community.

Well, so the question now becomes how long will they stick with this one set list. And when they eventually change it, how much?

Not super news, since there’ve been reports that they’ve rehearsed it, but in the new Zane Lowe interview, they’re in the Sphere playing through the video screen stuff while listening to the music that will go with it. Later on they go down to the stage while music is still going, and the SOS version of Pride comes on.

Well, so the question now becomes how long will they stick with this one set list. And when they eventually change it, how much?

25 shows in total, so maybe they switch it up after every 5 shows? 5 nights RH, 5 nights SOI, 5 nights Zooropa, etc. I'd be surprised if the encore changes in any significant way.

R&H is the only non classic U2 album they could play 4 songs from that would mostly be considered near classic hits.
War would be the only other album coming anywhere close.

If the people in Spere are already not reacting that wildly to the less familiar AB songs, I don't expect them to double down and have a Zooropa or POP mini set as interlude.
Not that I would mind it.

I love seeing commentary about standing/not-standing, not being a rabid U2 crowd, not rotating the set etc etc, but folks have to remember this is a residency, the graphics at the show had to be pre-canned, backup drummer, not all fans travelling to see this are rabid U2 fans like us, some just want to see the building, some are VIPs gifted tickets etc etc. Overall to me this is a once in a lifetime U2 experience and never in a million years would I have ever thought that I’d get to hear AB played in full live after not getting the chance to see part of it back in 92. Can’t wait for tomorrow night, hopefully my show will be the start to the rotational set :), and what’s even more encouraging for the future and I know they’re hyperbolic about new music, they have plans to record/tour again and Larry is working his way back to getting healthy again.

I have to say I was sceptical about this whole Sphere thing, especially without Larry. No matter how extravagant and superb the show is, no Larry will always be a bummer.

But I love what U2 are doing (once again). One of the many things I derive great pleasure from U2 is the spectacle. As part of the spectacle is their responsibility to push the boundaries of what is possible in a live setting. It's why I still live for U2 today. Not in the hope that they'll release that arguably unattainable final great album (musically they've achieved all I could wish for) but in the hope that they continue to lead the way in innovating and pushing the boundaries of live music. In today's world, U2's relevance (if it is still there) exists in the live setting. Not through making records. If places like the Sphere are to exist, then let U2 christen it. And they're christening it with Achtung Baby. Achtung fucking Baby! I won't feel satisfied until every single person on this planet has heard that work of art.

U2 aren't a pub band. They're not a cosy acoustic outfit. They demand to be seen on the biggest stage. Heck, if U2 wanted to hollow out the moon and build a 1 million seater arena in it, they could justify it. Only them though. Their music would be the only music to fill the void and the vast universe beyond it. So, in that sense the Sphere will have to do. Who cares if its in tacky Vegas? U2 can and will take it to the other world.

My major nitpick is the order of the set list - specifically Streets following Vertigo. Don't mind Vertigo in the set list - it's a fun song but Streets is the pinnacle of the U2 experience. For the first time in a set list, it looks like an afterthought. I would rework the set list so that Love Is Blindness, as the last song performed from AB, segues into Streets. Darkness blends into light. I'm sure it could be worked in as one of the great segues into Streets.

Last edited:
Bad full band?

Because SOS is dead boring...

Sorry, SOS for both, should have made that clearer.

Personally I think Bad is one of, if not the best track on SOS. Obviously better full band but still powerful acoustic.

Bad is my white whale and I’ll take it anyway I can get honestly.

Last edited:
Pride as the AIWIY equivalent (more lush)
Bad as desire (acoustic)
ASOH/TUF (acoustic)
MLK/Promenade as LRM (rarer, stripped down?)

Sort of Homecoming and UF? I don’t see it.

They’ll probably just keep AIWIY and Desire and add Pride and Bad

I wouldn’t be upset if they canned the idea of rotating per album and went per period. As long as they kind of went with a formula of two big hits and two lesser known things:

80s focus
AIWIY/pride
Bad/desire
Stories for boys/tick Tock
Love rescue me/drowning man

90s focus
Stay/Discotheque
Lemon/Please
The Wanderer/IGWSHA
The First Time/Do you feel loved

00s focus
Walk On Ukraine/COBL