September 16, 17 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wodering about the celeb factor also, and if they are going to the show(s)- where would they sit? I'm thinkin red zone could be a good guess. I'll report back if I spot any. Anyways just 19 sleeps to go!

Last tour they had a VIP "cage," a fenced off area, back by the soundboard. At some shows though, celebrities were spotted in the ellipse. Toronto had a lot last tour, although I can't really think of any offhand, other than George Strombo. Bono did namecheck some, but the names escape me at the moment. Maybe someone else can remember...?

what i'm getting at is that we should have some expected surprises at the show given that it's TIFF week.

plus, who knows, maybe Danny shows up too with guitar.

on a side note i think we should all expect that the dome be closed. too many condos surrounding the area.

Near King and Bathurst, we are staying at the Travelodge.

Heh, that's my neighbourhood.

It depends on what type of bar/pub you are looking for. If you want something old and gritty, there is the Wheat Sheaf right at King/Bathurst. It's one of the oldest pubs in TO. There is an Irish pub (called Foggy Dew) at King/Niagara which is 2 blocks west of Bathurst/King and it has a huge and pretty popular patio. Then you have the Bier Markt which is a more upscale place with pricier food and lots of yuppies, that one is at King and Portland, very close to the Travelodge.

I was at that show!!! Old Man River....amazing! Eddie Vedder's voice is amazing! Unfortunately didn't see Pearl Jam that time :(

Last Vertigo tour Pearl Jam played a week later in Toronto. I was at both shows and Bono and the Edge were at the side of the stage for Pearl Jam. Throughout the night Vedder was adding snippets of U2 songs into their own and finallyh Bono jumped on stage and performed Rockin in the Free World with Peal Jam with all the lights on. It was epic. I still have the mp3 for that performance.

Last tour they had a VIP "cage," a fenced off area, back by the soundboard. At some shows though, celebrities were spotted in the ellipse. Toronto had a lot last tour, although I can't really think of any offhand, other than George Strombo. Bono did namecheck some, but the names escape me at the moment. Maybe someone else can remember...?

Yeah, he mentionned Raine Maida (singer for Our Lady Peace) and his wife Chantal Kreviazuk..

Last Vertigo tour Pearl Jam played a week later in Toronto. I was at both shows and Bono and the Edge were at the side of the stage for Pearl Jam. Throughout the night Vedder was adding snippets of U2 songs into their own and finallyh Bono jumped on stage and performed Rockin in the Free World with Peal Jam with all the lights on. It was epic. I still have the mp3 for that performance.

Hey, great-I finally hear from someone else who was at both the U2 and PJ shows of September 2005, as was I. What an epic week of R and R in TO. The Eddie snippets were great, I remember when he started to play and sing A Sort of Homecoming there was this weird silence in the crowd because they didn't recognize it, and it took me a minute (it was so out of context and unexpected) to identify the song, and I 'm yelling in my buddies ear "its a U2 song man, A Sort of Homecoming" I too have that recording and love to hear it to this day.
Lets hope the 16th and 17th have some cool suprises- unique for Toronto due to the TIFF being in town. Not that we need anything over and above the band, of course, but suprises are cool.
Cheers,
PS- I'm pretty sure Ali was sidestage also.

Anyone else a little peeved about all of the lame RIM employees getting free sweet tickets to the gig?

I hope it's not turned into a glorified corporate event.

Hey do you guys think there might be some celebs at the concert seeing the Film Fest is going on?? I was looking at the guest list for the film fest and looks like there's gonna be a bunch of actors in town, including my fav Colin Farrell :drool:
Might take a little walk around Yorkville the day before the show cuz that's where they're all supposed to hang out.

COLIN???:hyper::hyper: YES!!

on a side note i think we should all expect that the dome be closed. too many condos surrounding the area.

Why, though? For noise considerations, maybe, but if you're thinking along the lines of the condo dwellers getting a 'free show', well, that would apply to any Jays game also.

Surely there will be/have been other open air venues with buildings around them this tour?

Hey do you guys think there might be some celebs at the concert seeing the Film Fest is going on?? I was looking at the guest list for the film fest and looks like there's gonna be a bunch of actors in town, including my fav Colin Farrell :drool:
Might take a little walk around Yorkville the day before the show cuz that's where they're all supposed to hang out.

The only celebrity that I can think of offhand who's likely to be there is George Strombo(don'taskmetospelltherestofit ;)) - he was at at least one show during Vertigo (my friend Dawn got a pic of him with her daughter) and he's a fan :)

Yorkville's your best bet for celebrity spotting, or if the person you want to see has a gala premiere that night you can go to Roy Thomson Hall and watch the red carpet, some celebs will come and sign autographs :) (I've been less than 6' from Jude Law, though that was just a factor of where I was standing when he came over to sign for some women standing near me than actual effort *g*)

The only celebrity that I can think of offhand who's likely to be there is George Strombo(don'taskmetospelltherestofit ;)) - he was at at least one show during Vertigo (my friend Dawn got a pic of him with her daughter) and he's a fan :)

Yorkville's your best bet for celebrity spotting, or if the person you want to see has a gala premiere that night you can go to Roy Thomson Hall and watch the red carpet, some celebs will come and sign autographs :) (I've been less than 6' from Jude Law, though that was just a factor of where I was standing when he came over to sign for some women standing near me than actual effort *g*)

Aww I love George :D Hopefully he'll be at the TO shows on this tour.

I think we're just gonna walk around Yorkville a bit and see if we can spot anyone.

does anyone remember where the GA line was for the PopMart shows? Someone said earlier on the board it might be on Bremner Blvd for the 360 shows...

sorry and one more question - I'm not familiar much with the exterior of Rogers Centre...for the GA line, are there spots that offer refuge from possible rain? On the Bremner Blvd. (east) side, there seems to be room along the building that offers cover.

Thanks! And I've emailed Rogers Centre asking about this stuff too, and for bathroom info for GA/inner circle people.:lol:

Not very many :lol: My GA tickets say to enter at Gate 15, and IIRC (you'd think I'd remember, was just at the Dome last week for a game :lol:) that gate is closeish to the Renaissance Hotel - I don't think they'll let us line up in front of that *g* (Of course I could be wrong and it could be further over.)

Alright, so the 17th will be my first GA experience with interference people. I dont know who has met who, but i've only ever met Gvox. My question is, how will I know who the interferencers are without calling out "where are all the other internet nerds at?" and making an ass out of myself?

Alright, so the 17th will be my first GA experience with interference people. I dont know who has met who, but i've only ever met Gvox. My question is, how will I know who the interferencers are without calling out "where are all the other internet nerds at?" and making an ass out of myself?

Shouting/wearing one of the classic in-jokes would be a sure bet. Just wear a tee that says "I HOPE BONO'S OKAY" and you'll get knowing winks from the appropriate folk.

:wink:

up for some bevies on the 15th...really hate Bier Markt though. the irish place near the water sounded good..would have to be a later arrival for me though..

Why, though? For noise considerations, maybe, but if you're thinking along the lines of the condo dwellers getting a 'free show', well, that would apply to any Jays game also.

Surely there will be/have been other open air venues with buildings around them this tour?
...anyone know if there has ever been a show with the roof off at the Skydome? i can not think of any off the top of my head in many years....

the 11pm curfew would get Rogers a few fines at least...Porter has been getting a lot of those lately....just the cost of doing buz i guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom