Random Music Talk XXV: Friggin Cobbler is too Friggin Slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm just surprised you picked probably the only part of the setlist that still sounds fresh to make your point, but that was just coincidental.

the city of blinding lights - vertigo - crazy tonight part, not sunday bloody sunday and omg we still love burma part.

It was the tease that made me care, I guess. I know it's different to be there live, everyone over there seems to think I don't know that.

I feel the logic of "setlist bitching only makes sense if you go to a lot of shows" is completely ass backwards. If you go to ten shows, you'll see some better setlists. If you only go to one, you might get one with little that stands out.

That's why I think you should stop, man. You're just ruining it for yourself. If you have no idea what the setlist is like, you don't know what to expect, and also can't really say comparatively if it was good or bad.

For a band that has such relatively stagnant and samey sets, I'm always shocked so many fans care to even look.

Yeah, I don't know how spoiler-free I can actually go, since it is apparently impossible for me to stop coming here at all.

And even if I could, I'd probably have to block about half my Facebook feed.

I'll probably have to go that route and just try to be very careful about where I go on this site.

And the Philly show is one of the last ones. I come here for posts about new albums coming out anyway, so it's not like I'd cut Interland out for U2 since that's not what I used it for.

I post here daily, and have absolutely no idea what their setlists are like, and I've yet to hear any of the "new" songs. Just avoid those parts of the forum.

I started avoiding listening to live versions of new songs for all groups I like when I noticed so many people unsatisfied with final studio versions of Hail to the Thief songs. Same happened again for In Rainbows. When you have no expectations, you can take it all in new and then enjoy the live version at a later date. The internet can unfortunately spoil things that way, it's just not worth it to me.

i think i had been particularly critical of the setlists in europe last year, then saw practically the same show in person and loved it.

i usually ignore the people who say it'll be different when you're there, because they don't know if that'll actually be the case...but it at least did it for me.

I post here daily, and have absolutely no idea what their setlists are like, and I've yet to hear any of the "new" songs. Just avoid those parts of the forum.

This. If you don't know what to expect, you can't be disappointed.

This is may come across strange, but I wanted to clarify some things. Since I like Peef, and can remember how excited I was to finally see U2 my first time, I think I take far more personal interest in hoping he has the a great first time seeing them. Hopefully I'm not coming off as preachy, as I have no problem with Peef doing whatever he feels happy with doing. Nor do I have any issue with anyone who likes looking at setlists or listening to unreleased songs and such.

I always need to say something because I like Peef and it makes me sad that he's so disappointed when he's waited so long to see them.

But then he says he'll enjoy himself regardless, and that makes me feel better. I just want Peef to be happy.

Man, I haven't followed the South Africa shows at all.

Is the Bono Vox still wearing sunglasses?

Does he take them off during "Stuck in a Moment I Can't Make Out of On My Own?"

Well, there are only two South Africa shows, so it's not like you're missing a whole lot.

And he doesn't even take them off when he showers. If you look really closely at them, you can see tiny little windshield wipers.

Bono and I use the same body wash. Dreams do come true.

I appreciate that people want me to be happy. I want me to be happy too. I will enjoy the U2 show. There's no doubt about it. I just want a better setlist is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

My first U2 show had the absolute stock boring-ass Vertigo set-list. And I had terrible seats. Still a fantastic experience. Of course the second show I was three rows back from the rail, and got an incredibly set-list and a Springsteen surprise appearance. To the two didn't really even compare.

:lol: at the Irish Spring thing.

My advice, pull a NSW. Stop looking at setlists, avoid any discussion of what they're playing, and don't listen to live clips. Even if your setlist isn't to your liking, it'll be a surprise, and you won't go in with a bunch of preconceived ideas.

This is how I go about it. Like I've said before, I've never understood setlist complaints, either. Like it or not, a band's always going to play the hits, namely for people who've never seen them before and want to experience them for the first time (like me, for instance). Sure, if I see an artist I love, there's songs I'd particularly love to hear and I would be a bit bummed if they didn't play them. If you've been lucky enough to see an artist multiple times it's easy for you to get bored. But not everyone's had that opportunity. And so I really don't care, as long as they show up, play, and sound good doing so, I'm just happy to be there.

Angela

Now I want to go watch an old Irish Spring commercial on YouTube.

Remember the one where the guy uses his pocket knife to slice the soap open? hahahahaha

I also remember a song that started "a man can feel a shower coming on..."

The Radiohead thread is making me remember why I avoid Everything You Know Is Wrong.

Remember the one where the guy uses his pocket knife to slice the soap open? hahahahaha

That was the image that came into my head! No idea what else happened in those commercials. Some dude with a fake Irish accent, and maybe some whistling?

The Radiohead thread is making me remember why I avoid Everything You Know Is Wrong.

When even I am questioning the U2 comparison, you know something's wacky.

I'm having all sorts of "I wish U2 still sounded exactly like they did 20+ years ago" memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom