Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lowest price for Uchu Nippon on vinyl is $300. :crack:

All of their records are crazy expensive. Very small initial pressing, and never repressed. I reaaaally want Long Season on vinyl but it’s basically never going to happen unless they reissue it.

That KKB cover of Vertigo and Cobbler discovering rxnephew makes this my favorite page of random in a very long time.

I've decided to do an overhaul of the way I listen to music. I've slashed my Spotify playlists right down to just two: stuff to listen to and songs I'm vibing.

Stuff to listen to is where I'll put all the shit I want to listen to and then if I enjoy certain songs I'll chuck them in songs I'm vibing.

Then I'll use that playlist on the reg and if I really like something I'll seek out the album.

Currently moving thru Pitchfork's 100 songs of the year list and have found plenty of tracks that I've liked... and it comes without the pressure of trying to keep up with a list of albums to listen to that becomes overwhelming. I just wanna get the enjoyment back in listening to music, and stop putting so much pressure on myself.

I thought this song was really interesting. Can't stand the metal vocals, just not my thing, but the other vocals are pretty great. Gonna send to Ax see what he thinks.

So, I enjoy marking anniversaries; last year, shortly after after the new year, I made a post here about all the albums from 1991 that would be celebrating thirty years in 2021. This year, as 2022 starts, I'm thinking about a far less written about year than 1991, and that is 2002.

2002 was a sneaky great year for music, and remains one of my favorite years of that decade in that way - it was very deep and diverse, with vets and newcomers alike, so I thought I'd compile a list of all the records from that first post-9/11 year of music that will be marking twenty years this year. In order of release date:

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - 26 February
Jones' pop-jazz debut won five Grammy awards in 2003, while being derided as muzak/elevator music by others. I always loved it. Her voice and the songwriting are comforting and infectious. "Don't Know Why" stands the test of time, as do many of the other tracks.

Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept - 26 February
Alanis's third major-label LP wasn't a huge hit, but I always enjoyed it. The single "Hands Clean", as well as the album cuts "21 Things I Want In A Lover" and "Flinch" are highlights for me.

Sheryl Crow - C'Mon C'Mon - 8 April
The follow-up to her 1996 self-titled and 1998 Globe Sessions, this one probably doesn't quite reach those heights, but the lead single "Soak Up The Sun" is a banger, as is the second single, "Steve McQueen", and a number of others.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - 22 April
This one might be cheating a bit since it was released for free on their website in September of 2001 in the wake of their split from their label, but the official, physical, retail, for-purchase release happened in the Spring of 02. YFT is one of the biggest, most celebrated indie albums of that decade, and while I'm not sure it's quite as great as the praise would suggest, I do enjoy the record, which often takes inspiration from the late Beatles.

Vanessa Carlton - Be Not Nobody - 30 April
I've grown to be weary of the "one hit wonder" label, as I've seen some artists suggest that it denigrates their work, but it is the label most would give Vanessa Carlton, despite that she's made five more records since then, and this album is probably only remembered as the home of her ubiquitous, career-making global smash "A Thousand Miles".

Eminem - The Eminem Show - 26 May + Lose Yourself/8-Mile Soundtrack on 28/29 October
2002 was the peak of Em's career. The Eminem Show, the follow-up to the MMLP, dropped at the beginning of summer with hits like "Cleanin' Up The Closet" and "Sing For The Moment" among others, and then the 8-Mile film and soundtrack, including the biggest song of his career, "Lose Yourself", dropped in the fall. What a year for him. I maintain that TES is a stronger and more consistent album than MMLP; MMLP's peaks might be higher, but its lows are much lower.

Avril Lavigne - Let Go - 4 June
She never was talked about much here, but I dig her first two albums. Nothing too deep, but some pretty solid tunes here on her debut. "Complicated" and "Sk8er Boy" are as overplayed as they are iconic, but "I'm With You" holds up, as do the album cuts "Anything But Ordinary" and "Unwanted".

David Bowie - Heathen - 11 June
One of Bowie's strongest late-career efforts. If I were ranking his output from Outside onwards, this would be top three for me, along with The Next Day and Blackstar. "Slow Burn", "Slip Away", "Afraid, "I Would Be Your Slave", "5:15 The Angels Have Gone", and the title track are all worthy additions to the Bowie canon.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way - 9 July
The Chili Peppers were riding sky high when they put out this second of three albums recorded during Frusciante's second stint with the group; boasting tracks like the title track, "Can't Stop", "Dosed", "Don't Forget Me", "Zeypher Song", and "Venice Queen", the record was a huge success and continues to be ranked by many in the upper echelons of RHCP records.

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - 16 July
The second half of the late 90s/early 00s neo-psychadelic duology they are remembered by many for, following up 1999's "Soft Bulletin". I know a lot of people seem to prefer SB, but it's always been Yoshimi for me. "Flight Test", the title track, "Do You Realize" and "Are You A Hypnotist" are the highlights for me.

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising - 30 July
After owning the 70s and much of the 80s, the 90s would become known as Bruce's "lost" decade(though I still think "Streets Of Philadelphia" is one of his greatest tracks); this post-9/11 record, his first with the E Street Band since Born In The USA, was his comeback and marked the beginning of what you might call "later Bruce". It was a huge success.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head - 26 August
Whatever you think of Coldplay now, this record is a classic, maybe the best on this list. Not much that can be said that hasn't been said. Regarded by many as their magnum opus, it vaulted them from being indie darlings into the mainstream. The singles may be overplayed(though they hold up anyway, especially "Clocks"), but the album cuts - the opener "Politik", the title track, and the closer "Amsterdam" among them - are just as good.

Beck - Sea Change - 24 September
I actually was not really familiar with this Beck album until very recently, but wow is it good. Might actually be my favorite of his. The soft, stripped down aesthetic is a far cry from his "Loser" days.

Foo Fighters - One By One - 22 October
Solid Foos album, following up The Colour And The Shape and There Is Nothing Left To Lose. If nothing else, it is the home of the classic "Times Like These".

Christina Aguilera - Stripped - 22 October
Her sophmore effort, a more raw, more intentionally 'adult' record than her very 'pop' debut, it's often considered her best; features the hits "Fighter" and the Linda Perry-penned "Beautiful". I respect Linda Perry a lot as a songwriter and think her stuff, including "Beautiful", is the best on the album.

Sigur Ros - () - 28 October
Arguably the peak of Sigur Ros's relevance, the nameless record of untitled songs solidified their following after 1999's "Agaetis Byrjun". This record's tracks ended up being used in a lot of film/television/video games. "Untitled 4" in particular is one of their most recognizable melodies and was used memorably in the film "Vanilla Sky".

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk - 28 October
I haven't really spent any time with this one despite the fact that I own a copy, but it's a Tori album so I put it on the list.

Justin Timberlake - Justified - 5 November
Timberlake's solo debut; it's a different vibe from NSync, a pop-R&B record that very obviously apes Michael Jackson(his sister Janet even features on a track) and to a lesser extent, Stevie Wonder. His later solo work is considerably better, but if I still believed in guilty pleasures, I might apply that label to the singles "Cry Me A River" and "Rock Your Body".

Pearl Jam - Riot Act - 12 November
Riot Act occupies a strange space in the PJ discography. A lot of people rank it was one of the worst; a lot of other people might call it the last great PJ record, the end of that more experimental era that began with "No Code". I am in the latter group. "Love Boat Captain", "I Am Mine", "Thumbing My Way", "Bu$hleaguer", and "Arc" are highlights.

Jay Z - The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse - 12 November
Not really familiar with this one, and I gather that it received more mixed reviews than its predecessor, but it was the prime of Jay's career and the first Blueprint is regarded as a classic, so I figured I should include it.

Audioslave - Self-titled - 18 November
The combination of Chris Cornell and RATM yielded pretty great results on Audioslave's self-titled debut. It's like a last-gasp of the 1990s alt rock establishment, and with tracks like "What You Are', "Like A Stone", "I Am The Highway", "Shadow On The Sun", "Getaway Car", and "The Last Remaining Light", it's one of the best rock albums of the 00s.

That's it for the albums. A couple of standalone-ish tracks that are worth mentioning:

Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This - 17 September
Clarkson's debut single after winning the first season of American Idol. Album wouldn't drop until 03. Probably not many here who care about this one, but I had to mention it.

Nirvana - You Know You're Right - 8 October
The last Nirvana track recorded with Kurt in 1994, it was released on Nirvana's Best Of to much hype twenty years ago.

and of course

U2 - Electrical Storm - 21 October
Electrical Storm was released to promote The Best Of 1990-2000. While the single was released in October, an early version of the song was leaked in September. This place voted ES as one of the band's top ten non-album tracks ever when we ran the survivor five years ago. The band also put out The Hands That Built America on 90-00, but you guys seem to mostly hate that one so I won't say anything about it...except that I like it.

A memorable year for music indeed.

I'm thinking about getting into Rod Stewart. I love Young Turks. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy has been doing the rounds on Tiktok and I've been enjoying that. I also chucked on Maggie May the other day, which I've heard on radio plenty of times. I like his voice quite a bit. I love the dark disco sound of Do Ya, adore Young Turks' chorus. Maggie May is a bit less immediate but it's quite interesting. (It also reminds me of Oliver's Army for some reason.)

Has he got a really good best of?

Thanks for posting that too, ruckman. I adore By the Way, so many fucking good songs on it, easily my favourite RHCP record. Damn, Eminem was huge around that time. Those two Avril singles you mentioned were massive, good songs.

Rod Stewart has a very spotty discography. His early 70’s albums (Maggie May era) are his most consistent, but for everything else, his definitive collection has all you need.

Young Turks is an all timer though. So is Tonight I’m Yours.

What's the collection called? Just wanna listen to the right thing. Very happy to just know all the hits.

Laz, do you like Iceage? They sound very much like Pavement. This Shelter Song that's in Pitchfork's 100 songs of 2021 list is Pavement through and through.

Laz, do you like Iceage? They sound very much like Pavement. This Shelter Song that's in Pitchfork's 100 songs of 2021 list is Pavement through and through.

Yeah I've been listening to that since the summer, as well as one of their previous ones (can't remember the name).

I don't think in general they sound like Pavement, though.

B]David Bowie - Heathen - 11 June[/B]
One of Bowie's strongest late-career efforts. If I were ranking his output from Outside onwards, this would be top three for me, along with The Next Day and Blackstar. "Slow Burn", "Slip Away", "Afraid, "I Would Be Your Slave", "5:15 The Angels Have Gone", and the title track are all worthy additions to the Bowie canon.

Top 3 since the mid-90s? Try Top 5 Bowie, period.

Ronnie Spector passed away and I am absolutely shattered.

Please listen to Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica in her memory. I don't even want to go through and post highlights because it's such an extraordinary pop album, one of the best of the 1960s.

I wrote a review for it today because I didn't want to just sit around and be depressed: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-rev...abulous-ronettes-featuring-veronica/111522054

She brought a buddy in
What you studyin'?"
"Education"
"That's where the money is"
"You think you funny, huh"
"Yeah I'm the funniest. What about you?"
Her friend replied, "I don't go to school"
"Ok what you do?"
"I'm a dancer - and quick question, are you a cancer?"
I said, "hell nah, where you dance at?"
She said, "Blue Flame, that shit be jam-packed"
I said, "damn facts, so where y'all mans at?"

Please listen to Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica in her memory. I don't even want to go through and post highlights because it's such an extraordinary pop album, one of the best of the 1960s.

I wrote a review for it today because I didn't want to just sit around and be depressed: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-rev...abulous-ronettes-featuring-veronica/111522054

I love this album, I do...

But you all already know what my favorite Ronnie Spector joint is.

Sad news, she was an icon for certain.

RIP.

But you all already know what my favorite Ronnie Spector joint is.

EEWsfWMXsAItagc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom