Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, "emo-rock" is a tag that I would not give them, but I can see the association on some tracks. I'm happy that you liked a few of the tracks. "Modern Lust" is another of my favorites.

I hated to use that word but I didn't want to throw out the band name that some of their more rockin' tracks was reminding me of, and that was Metro Station. Which...to me isn't a bad thing, but I really just didn't want to mention my affinity for the band...again.

We're history nerds, and there's a Harley factory in York. Plus, Steve spent some time in Philly a fall or two ago and loved it, and I haven't been since 1976.

I'm wanting to head to the East Coast for my honey moon for the history nerd reason. Especially after I took a Revolutionary War super-intensive course my last semester of college. Not sure if we're going to do that or follow U2 around yet (which, actually would combine the two things), depends on where we are financially when the time comes (not going on our honeymoon til the summer).

I bought a 30 GB iPod about four years ago. It's too small. I have 36 GB on my PC right now. I'm sort of just waiting for it to break at this point.

mine broke after 3 years. the little dead ipod face with the x's over its eyes that comes up on the screen to tell you that it is, in fact, dead is hysterical.

i got a 120 gig now. it's about 65 gigs full.

mine broke after 3 years. the little dead ipod face with the x's over its eyes that comes up on the screen to tell you that it is, in fact, dead is hysterical.

i got a 120 gig now. it's about 65 gigs full.
Dead iPod face? That's great. Now I really want my iPod to die.

images

Mine just had a ticking heartbeat that slowly came to a stop every time I attempted to turn it back on. It was like taking a defibrillator to it to no effect. :(

yeah, that's exactly what it looked like. only it was scratched to all hell.

Is there something wrong with my headphones, or has there always been an awesome faint echo going on in the background of the verses of "Bad" that I've just never noticed before?

I never had a death screen of the sort described above on my first iPod. Rather it simply refused to accept any battery charges.

images

Mine just had a ticking heartbeat that slowly came to a stop every time I attempted to turn it back on. It was like taking a defibrillator to it to no effect. :(

Ah, nothing like the click of a hard drive death, eh? That's how my first Classic, the 80GB model, went down too.

I've had that sad face on my older iPod. After scouring online, I discovered that something inside was simply "stuck" and that a couple of meaningful taps against the side of the table moved it back into place. iPod has been working again with no issues since.

I wonder what type of sets Sir Elton is playing these days. On his Sixtieth Birthday DVD from a few years back, he played a great deal of fairly obscure songs from his classic phase (roughly 70-75) rather than the usual Adult Contemporary hits.

Hey, my apologies, because I'm pretty sure this has been posted before. I just can't remember where it was posted.

There is a nice, organized, cumulative list of all the 2011 album releases (that we know about) somewhere, right? With release dates and all that. If anybody can link me to that, it would be just wonderful.

I googled. Oh, I googled. The first link I found was metacritic's list, which wasn't at all sufficient. It was missing a bunch of titles. So I got immediately furious with the internet and with the world at large and decided to place my query here.

They do. It's out April 5, it's called Blood Pressures, and it's going to be awesome. They're also playing several showcases at SXSW, and those will be awesome. And lastly, they're touring the record in April, which will be awesome.

I must have dreamed that there was a good one around somewhere. Oh, well.

Pitchfork has what seems to be a very thorough list for the first quarter floating around the site. That might help a bit.

And Impy, thanks for posting that link to the Hercules album. I'm saddened by the absence of Antony, but I have high aspirations for the album regardless.

I took a bit of shit before your time for liking the debut as much as I did, so it's good to see we've got another fan here. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this new one. I'm hoping to get a chance to dive into it at the office this week, although my plate is pretty full with tomorrow's Iron & Wine release plus the Tennis and Smith Westerns albums I've been meaning to check out.

i have never heard The Idiot but i really love Lust for Life. i have never heard another album on which you can tell the singer is just absolutely loving and living life to the fullest. the title track, Sixteen, Some Weird Sin, Success, Tonight, Neighbourhood Threat, Fall in Love With Me... it's all great.

today i bought
straight-outta-compton.jpg

mum is disgusted.

I took a bit of shit before your time for liking the debut as much as I did, so it's good to see we've got another fan here. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this new one.

I'm definitely a fan, and frankly a bit surprised that the consensus here about the debut would have been anything other than positive. It wears its influences on its sleeve without ever pandering, and the hooks are massive. As you might know, I'm a huge fan of Antony, so his vocals in that context were a revelation to me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom