Random Music Talk XXIII: Give Me Butt Meat or Give Me Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, it is derivative, but its influences aren't readily apparent in most run-of-the-mill indie rock, so you don't really notice.

Contra IS aggressively annoying, however. The oouuaooaouaaouaooaouoaoouuhahahhaooouaghhooooo hook of White Sky is the nadir of music in 2010. Doesn't help that its synth line is so rudimentary and boring. Sounds like bad Postal Service/slightly improved Owl City. Giving Up The Gun also has a beat that sounds like something they came up with while trying to figure out what tones their new keyboard had built-in, but the song itself is well-arranged and fully-formed. Run is also a great song.

I feel the debut has better songwriting, while Contra shows them dabbling in genres I actually don't despise. If they somehow merge the two, I think a VW album I like could be on the horizon.
I can't get mad at people for being "derivative" at this stage. There are way too many albums now that can be accused of being derivative. It's 2010. To be critical you have to have more than that.

I can't get mad at people for being "derivative" at this stage. There are way too many albums now that can be accused of being derivative. It's 2010. To be critical you have to have more than that.

Well, I did have more than that in my criticism. That was one sentence of a much longer post.

But, in the likely case you're not talking about me at all and just casually throwing out an observation, I suggest you use more smilies. I'll start: :reject:

iYup, I listened to Veil Veil Vanishes album this morning. I'm not sure if it gets much better than the opening duo of songs, which were fantastic, but after that, it gets a bit repetitive and close to the emo rock genre. Though I'm not exactly a hater of that genre, so I enjoyed it pretty well throughout. Glad for the inadvertent recommendation :up:

Well, I did have more than that in my criticism. That was one sentence of a much longer post.

But, in the likely case you're not talking about me at all and just casually throwing out an observation, I suggest you use more smilies. I'll start: :reject:
I was casually throwing out on observation. I have a steadfast refusal to use smilies for no apparent reason.

My backspace key is gone on my keyboard, which is making it difficult to type.

iYup, I listened to Veil Veil Vanishes album this morning. I'm not sure if it gets much better than the opening duo of songs, which were fantastic, but after that, it gets a bit repetitive and close to the emo rock genre. Though I'm not exactly a hater of that genre, so I enjoyed it pretty well throughout. Glad for the inadvertent recommendation :up:

Huh, "emo-rock" is a tag that I would not give them, but I can see the association on some tracks. I'm happy that you liked a few of the tracks. "Modern Lust" is another of my favorites.

I didn't know people outside PA were familiar with Reading.

I've never been much of a hiker or outdoorsman, but I am wearing boots right now, which I haven't done in about a year.

I actually don't think I've ever made it down to York, despite having been to Lancaster scores of times.

And everyone knows how I feel about Philly.

Pittsburgh is a very nice town as well. I've been very impressed with it in my times going there.

About half a year ago I started scraping against the 15 gb limit on my music player. Up until now it's been a pretty good way of enforcing some discipline and keeping my music library from getting too bloated with songs I never listen to, but this end-of-2010 rush in album Best Of lists is seriously cramping me.

Now, it's helped me realize that a 23:08 version of Whole Lotta Love and 25:25 of Dazed and Confused I've never listened to from discs two and three of How The West Was Won can be safely unchecked, but that's only postponing the inevitable. If I stay in the Apple ecosystem, I've moved beyond the nano's largest size leaving the olde style classic brick or a touch/iphone as possibilities. Not super pleased with those options.

I bought a 30 GB iPod about four years ago. It's too small. I have 36 GB on my PC right now. I'm sort of just waiting for it to break at this point.

Wish I had an iPod, but I would have problems too.. 132,27 Gb.

I've got a 4 GB iPod. :scream:

I can't believe I thought it would be enough in the first place.

My 160GB Classic's headphone jack went out recently (going to get that bad boy replaced and buy a new Macbook Pro as soon as my tax refund comes in though, fuck yeah!), so I've been scraping by with my 8GB Touch. It's painful going from holding my entire collection, which fluctuates from 125-140GB, to having to select a small subset of artists.

I hardly use my iPod. 98% of my listening is on my laptop.

Ugh, I can't stand listening on my laptop. My Macbook's nearly 4 years old, hence the imminent replacement, and the speakers in there are just horrendous-sounding. Out of my listening devices, the Touch has the best sound, followed by the Classic, and then the Macbook.

Plus, I'm on campus and away from my laptop for 8+ hours a day, so an iPod is more convenient.

I bought an 8GB iPod 4th Touched on ebay the other day. Don't ask me what an iPod 4th Touched is or if it plays music, just know that I badly wanted an MP3 player again.

We have a festival every spring called Movin' On. This year they've got a lot more money to spend on bands. Here's the list they've put as "affordable and potentially available:"

Chris Brown
Weezer
Snoop Dogg
Nelly
My Morning Jacket
Train
Taking Back Sunday
Akon
Angels + Airwaves
Diddy's Dirty Money
My Chemical Romance
Flo Rida
Trey Songz
Owl City
Blake Shelton
Offspring
Brandon Flowers
Trisha Yearwood
Rise Against
Miranda Lambert
The National
Martina McBride
Estelle
Lifehouse
Gretchen Wilson
Kid Cudi
Mumford and Sons
OAR
DeadMau5
Brand New
All Time Low
Lupe Fiasco
The Maine
Anberlin
Yellowcard
Dashboard Confessional
Bassnectar
Phoenix
Vampire Weekend
The Black Keys
There's a lot of shit but a couple gems mixed in there. I'm mildly optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom