Random Music Talk XLI: Uber Deluxe Now Includes Butt Meat; Still A Waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GAF, I've downloaded Taylor Swift (2006) and it really clarifies her development/ Fearless and Speak Now really makes sense as a sort of evolution of her persona. For a label A&R does sound difficult to ascertain if you're trying to project into the future. I'm still incubating my thoughts on Eisley, they occupy a similar space of possessing the ability to break through on their next album despite a somewhat inconsistency to date.

Also (god willing) I've passed my last college final Friday morning. The "real" world awaits. My roommate knows a bartender whose serving a free open bar about 20 feet away from me right now so; dios mio; but blargh.

For a label A&R does sound difficult to ascertain if you're trying to project into the future.

Could you explain this sentence a bit further, honestly, I'm not quite sure what it means. I know what A&R is, yet I still don't really know what you're getting at.

The thing about that album is that she really did sort of break through with it (I'm going off of your comment about Eisley being ready to break through). Fearless took it to the next level, but she built a name based on the success of the debut. It sold a ton, every single off of that album was all over country radio (maybe a bit of a niche market but, still), and "Teardrops" became a pretty decent crossover hit. I heard that shit on pop radio stations back in the '07/'08. Occasionally.

Artistically, though, yeah, I sense that she was still a bit in the phase of copying what she grew up listening to (though doing it better and with more vitality) and she didn't have as much creative control as she does now. And you're right in terms of the persona, as I've said before, her sort of nerdiness and sense of humor and overall narrative voice have definitely come through more clearly on the more recent stuff.

I'm also really digging Reign In Blood by Slayer.

Well you already nailed the rough outline of what I was going for, so the A&R confusion is somewhat constricted, but I do understand better now the difficulty of listening to a teenager(s) and trying to evaluate/understand how, 3-6 years in, experience will let them develop into their own persona. For example, comparing Pictures to Burn with anything off of Speak Now, or in the case of Eisley/the label figuring out that Trolleywood would eventually lead to The Valley.

The world's colliding
But all that I want is a shady lane

~

I wish I'd had more beers today. It was a beautiful day, for winter. Then I could have updated my status, "so drunk in the august sun and you're the kinda girl I like" and also posted it here.

Jive Turkey said:
I think it's worth pointing out - since it was near the end of the thread and some might have missed it - that nick ended up actually seeming like a decent guy and distanced himself from the witless troglodyte, U2guy :up:

troglodyte. now there's an insult that needs to be used more often.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Also, I'm really into Slayer's Reign In Blood lately.

this is not gaf music. it's all angry and stuff and the band is dudes. that's like iwb music.

good call.

:wink:

Mobvok, that's a different X-Files episode.

Jump the Shark is the one involving the Lone Gunmen. I don't want to say anymore than that, lest someone accidentally get spoiled.

iron yuppie said:
Is there a general consensus as to where to start with this band?

Treasure for something darker/more contemplative, Heaven Or Las Vegas for something a little sweeter. Not a bad track on either, as far as I'm concerned.

And after rolling on the floor
And thankfully a few make sure that you get home
And you stay home
And you'd better
Cos you're afraid of what you need
Yeah you're afraid of what you need
If you weren't
If you weren't
I don't know what we'd talk about

Yeah no one ever knows what you're talking about
I guess you're already there
And no one opens up when you scream and shout
It's time to make a couple things clear
If you're afraid of what you need
If you're afraid of what you need
Look around you
You're surrounded
It won't get any better
And so good night

It's not like the best album ever, or whatever. Certainly no kind of lost classic. But some of the songs are fucking beasts, and it definitely is worth at least a few listens. Some keepers on there, no doubt.

I've had this since it came out.

Don't listen to it too often, but it's still impressive in context.

And of course I love the bizarre appearance of Robbie Robertson singing Take Your Partner By The Hand (which Boner used to snippet during live versions of Discocoque).

Speaking of that song, there's a really cool remix of it on Robertson's album Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy, which is pretty underrated IMO:

Robbie Robertson - Take Your Partner by the Hand [Red Alert Mix] - YouTube

From a Rocky & Balls status update:

"oh! We had a little spurt of fans on the fb page!"

rocky.jpg

Ummm....yeah.

Fever To Tell is a really well sequenced album. The first side rushes right past you while establishing the band's attitude and aesthetic. Then, in the second half, there's the meat of the record: No No No, Maps, Y Control and Modern Love are all great, and reveal a new layer to the band. It's an excellent debut, although definitely not my favorite album by them. I'm one of the few that thinks they kept getting better with each passing record.

I'm one of the few that thinks they kept getting better with each passing record.

I don't know. I feel like It's Blitz! was pretty unanimously praised. I'm with you, it's definitely my favorite of their albums, and was easily one of the best musical releases of the '09.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I don't know. I feel like It's Blitz! was pretty unanimously praised. I'm with you, it's definitely my favorite of their albums, and was easily one of the best musical releases of the '09.

Show Your Bones is more what I meant...I felt that one got a pretty muted response when it came out. Totally undeserved: it really deepened their sound, and Gold Lion is just...hot damn. Dudley is another one of my favorites.

The difference between the first two is pretty small though; they're simply different in mood. It's Blitz is an entirely different story, yeah. Sitek did a brilliant job producing that album; it's like he brought some of that innovation over from TV On The Radio and gave YYY a welcome makeover, and the songs are excellent. I can't wait to hear what they do next.

Anyone here like the Futureheads? I've only heard the debut, but I really like it. Reminds me a little of Silent Alarm and Hold On Now, Youngster. There's some of The Jam's shit in there too.

That "Hounds of Love" cover by the Futureheads is unspeakably good. Puts even the original to shame. Beyond perfect.

I think I liked The Futureheads' song "Decent Days And Nights" when it was first released. I'm also pretty sure it was one of the songs that they played over the PA in between Kings of Leon and U2 on the Vertigo Tour. For some reason, I have a vivid memory of hearing that specific song. That shit was 6 years ago. Alcohol doesn't destroy all your brain cells, kids!

Futureheads were definitely among that group of sort-of interchangeable garage/guitar bands that suddenly sprouted up after the big success of the Strokes and the Libertines in the UK.

Yeah, it really is a remarkable cover. Kate Bush always had a great ear for melody; they totally bring that out and make it their own. Was that in the best covers thread? If not, I need to rectify that.

Is it superior to the original? Kate Bush is such a unique singer that it's difficult to compare the two. I love her take, of course.

Just a quick reminder, everyone: the Butt Meat room is and always shall remain open. A decent time was had by all, last night. A million thanks to bono_212 for that Battisti recommendation. Already trying to find a cheap copy.

BUTT MEAT : Listening Room

If you shout... said:
A million thanks to LemonMelon for that Battisti recommendation. Already trying to find a cheap copy.

Fixed (we were sharing accounts, so the mixup is understandable). Very glad to hear it stuck with you! What a joyous song the title track is.

Ash brought the Cure and Galaxie 500 (forgot how much I liked Temperature's Rising) though, of which I'm grateful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom