Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it.

crappm.png

HOLY SHIT. I can't believe you saved that somewhere. :lol:

But no, I really don't want to kill Bono dead with fire. :(

The phrase originated from the play/TV movie entitled Angels In America, about gay men living in Manhattan during the AIDS "plague" of the 1980s. One of my favorite works of art, ever. Check it out, if you have the time. Incredibly rewarding work of fiction. The play won a Pulitzer Prize, and the movie won every Emmy and Golden Globe in sight the year it came out.

Sounds pretty fucking gay, GAF.

Sounds pretty fucking gay, GAF.

Have you seen it (or read it)?

Pacino, Streep, Jeffrey Wright, Mary-Louise Parker, etc. And at the heart of it a beyond brilliant turn by Justin Kirk as Prior, the lead protagonist. A performance worth seeing, if there ever was one.

What's the fucking deal with the History Channel? When did the crackpot neckbeards start running things?

That degree of subtlety is what sets me apart. 8.2. Best New Message.

On first listen, and purely on the surface, I love Craig Finn's solo album. It sounds excellent while it's playing, and the opener is a direct ripoff of Neil Young's On The Beach. That's a good thing. But I hear his voice and I think to myself "why am I not bouncing off the couch and doing windmills and shit to this? Dammit, something is wrong here." I miss the Hold Steady, and there are better albums that sound like this, like On The Beach. But I think some critics are being too harsh about it.

I still need to hear it. Love me some Finn and some Hold Steady, as you guys know. Looking forward to it. I've heard a track or two here and there already. Not much to say, yet. I do like the album's title quite a bit.

Yes I've seen it. Tour-de-force.

Glad you agree.

Craig Finn's album is a fine listen, just nothing groundbreaking, and it can't touch the Hold Steady.

I really should check out some Miles Davis. I'm sure I've heard a song or two of his before, but I should give something a proper listen.

On first listen, and purely on the surface, I love Craig Finn's solo album. It sounds excellent while it's playing, and the opener is a direct ripoff of Neil Young's On The Beach. That's a good thing. But I hear his voice and I think to myself "why am I not bouncing off the couch and doing windmills and shit to this? Dammit, something is wrong here." I miss the Hold Steady, and there are better albums that sound like this, like On The Beach. But I think some critics are being too harsh about it.

I've only heard one song off it so far, and I kinda like it. Haven't heard much by the Hold Steady, but from what I know, though, yeah, I can understand where some fans might have issues. But then again, if someone's doing solo work, it'd be kind of pointless for it to resemble their band's work.

You should hear more by The Hold Steady, in that case.

This is what I'm thinking, yes. I am kinda curious to hear more, so off to do some investigating, I guess :). Any particular recommendations of songs/albums? I've heard "Sequestered in Memphis", and I'm certain I've heard a couple other songs, too, but I'm blanking on them at the moment.

I hope I like the album :lol:

If not, it's probably now the second coolest thing I own, behind the signed Flaming Lips poster I have, just edging out my coloured Embryonic vinyl.

Doing two nights in Austin means they have to stay here at least one of those nights.

Challenge accepted.

:up: please report back.

I have to seriously question the sanity of a band that wouldn't play a song as good as In Medias Res if they had such a song in their catalog. Otherwise though, great show.

Can anyone who's seen them play it tell me if they struggle to do so? It sounds like it wouldn't be particularly easy to play. Guessing that's why they never play I Just Sighed either.

:lol:

The world only spins forward. I guess.

:lol::lol:

I actually hadn't listened to the clip yet :lol:. I suppose I'd rather not hear it then hear it awful.

This is what I'm thinking, yes. I am kinda curious to hear more, so off to do some investigating, I guess :). Any particular recommendations of songs/albums? I've heard "Sequestered in Memphis", and I'm certain I've heard a couple other songs, too, but I'm blanking on them at the moment.

This song's my favorite of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG4ABgTuCqA

I love all of their albums, but Stay Positive. That was the first on I heard, and I hated it and almost hated the band as a result. Ended up giving Heaven Is Whenever a chance and completely changed my opinion. Never have gone back to Stay Positive since I became such a huge fan. I should probably do that.

Separation Sunday is the album every one is going to tell you to listen to, and I would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom