Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 70s is my favorite decade for music and I've explored it pretty thoroughly, but I still got 34 "new" songs to listen to out of this list, and music discovery is really all it's for in the end. I'm satisfied with it.

Gonna make a spotify playlist out of the following:

Patrice Rushen - “Haven’t You Heard”
Lee Perry & the Full Experiences - “Disco Devil”
Manu Dibango - “Soul Makossa”
Idris Muhammad - “Could Heaven Ever Be Like This”
Junior Murvin - “Police & Thieves”
Cerrone - “Supernature”
The Whispers - “And the Beat Goes On”
Thelma Houston - “Don’t Leave Me This Way”
Delta 5 - “Mind Your Own Business”
Loretta Lynn - “The Pill”
Dillinger - “Cokane in My Brain”
Eddie Kendricks - “Girl, You Need a Change of Mind”
The Equals - “Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys”
The Walker Brothers - “The Electrician”
The Roches - “Hammond Song”
Plastic Bertrand - “Ça Plane Pour Moi”
Sun Ra - “Door of the Cosmos”
Karen Dalton - “Something on Your Mind”
Donnie & Joe Emerson - “Baby”
Don Cherry - “Brown Rice”
Rose Royce - “I’m Going Down”
Bobby Caldwell - “What You Won’t Do for Love”
William DeVaughn - “Be Thankful for What You Got”
Nina Simone - “Baltimore”
Donny Hathaway - “A Song for You”
Brothers Johnson - “Strawberry Letter 23”
The Abyssinians - “Satta Massagana”
Kool & the Gang - “Summer Madness”
The O’Jays - “For the Love of Money”
Roy Ayers Ubiquity - “Everybody Loves The Sunshine”
Ann Peebles - “I Can’t Stand the Rain”
Bobby Womack - “Across 110th Street”
Dinosaur - “Kiss Me Again”
Althea & Donna - “Uptown Top Ranking”

I listened to What's Going On tonight for the first time in 3-4 years, some time before the recent uptick in high profile shootings, the formation of Black Lives Matter and very public instances of police brutality. Some of the lyrics on there are startlingly relevant 45 years later.

Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing
Panic is spreading
God knows where we're heading
Oh, make me wanna holler
They don't understand

It's depressing as hell, but a testament to the quality and universality of the writing that so many artists are using it as a template today.

I don't know if you've ever heard Here, My Dear, but I think that's his masterpiece. What's Going On is obviously a major work from the decade (and I think Mercy Mercy Me also is sadly just as relevant today), but I really love the sprawl and ambition of the other one, even if it has few standouts and memorable tunes.

Not enough solo Lennon on the Pitchfork list.

Agreed.

I don't know if you've ever heard Here, My Dear, but I think that's his masterpiece. What's Going On is obviously a major work from the decade (and I think Mercy Mercy Me also is sadly just as relevant today), but I really love the sprawl and ambition of the other one, even if it has few standouts and memorable tunes.

I've heard it, love it and absolutely agree with you. The atmosphere of that album is suffocating and there is some nasty, cutting lyricism on there that could only come from beaten man at the end of his rope. I have to be in the mood for Here My Dear, but there are very few examples of an album that makes you feel closer to the artist while listening to it. That, to me, is one of the biggest compliments that can be given to music.

also, am I wrong in thinking this band was a huge U2 influence? because the guitar solo in this song Hong Kong Garden sounds so much like Boy
probably because they were both produced by steve lillywhite

also there's this taken from boy's wiki page:
Boy was recorded at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin with Steve Lillywhite producing. Lillywhite had first come to prominence for his work on the 1978's debut single of Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Hong Kong Garden" which featured a peculiar hook played by a glockenspiel. U2, who listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees,[3] used Lillywhite's skills to add the distinctive glockenspiel part on "I Will Follow".

yes i know hong kong garden also produced by nils stevenson, shh

Be interesting to compare that with the first round announcement of the Falls Festival down here that's meant to come out later today. It'll probably be further proof of how lame Australian festivals are compared to North America and Europe. So far we know London Grammar and Childish Gambino are on the bill.

It does look a little sparse, the only thing that stood out to me was the absence of 'no sideshows' next to The Avalanches..

It does look a little sparse, the only thing that stood out to me was the absence of 'no sideshows' next to The Avalanches..

It's a pretty underwhelming lineup. I might be interested in sideshows by AlunaGeorge, Mø, Shura, and Modern Baseball. But probably not. Perhaps if the price is right.

The two best bands on the lineup are locals who already have headline shows coming up in a month or two, The Jezabels and City Calm Down.

I still don't know how Violent Soho are so popular. It was really easy to spot their fans at the last Laneway because they were the biggest wankers.

I still don't know how Violent Soho are so popular. It was really easy to spot their fans at the last Laneway because they were the biggest wankers.

Probably hold the record for the longest time all members of the band have gone without having a bath. Maybe that's part of the appeal.

That reminds me, I've never asked you (Australianish) guys what you think about the Jezebels. They never come up in forum chatter. I think they are promising (and yeah, that's probably an odd word to use about a band that's been active for close to a decade as far as I can tell; Arcade Fire are also promising), at times very, very good, at other times less so, but never sure what other people thought.

Last edited:
I feel like I should like The Jezabels but the newer singles e.g. Love is My Disease haven't really grabbed me. Hurt Me got my attention back when it came out but that was one of their first..

Sorta promising about covers it.

I was a little obsessed with The Naked and Famous a couple years ago and kicked myself that for various reasons I didn't go to their gig. Gotta fix that.

I feel like I should like The Jezabels but the newer singles e.g. Love is My Disease haven't really grabbed me. Hurt Me got my attention back when it came out but that was one of their first..

Sorta promising about covers it.

Same, especially about how they first came to my attention; although I like 'My Love Is My Disease' more than I ought maybe.

This has been a whole year of surprise and/or long-anticipated releases and this tops them all for me.

I like The Jezabels, wouldn't say I love them. I recall watching them at Splendour in the rain with a girl I liked who didn't like me back. That was nice.

not to harp on this too much, but here is the stream for the tragically hip show in case anyone wants to see it (it's been taken off youtube because the cbc didn't have rebroadcast rights, only live rights).

https://vimeo.com/179668064

Cheers! Thanks for that, it was superb. :up: They do remind me a lot of Midnight Oil, whose music I adore a lot.

Sitting behind Common right now.

cmt-medium-8.gif

cmt-medium-6.gif

aecztkwa4maliffsk8pl_zpshwl5clel.gif

I made up a list of questions for her to ask Common, but she had to go and be one of those courteous people that leaves celebrities alone in public places. :tsk:

That reminds me, I've never asked you (Australianish) guys what you think about the Jezebels. They never come up in forum chatter. I think they are promising (and yeah, that's probably an odd word to use about a band that's been active for close to a decade as far as I can tell; Arcade Fire are also promising), at times very, very good, at other times less so, but never sure what other people thought.

I like their stuff, especially "Endless Summer" and "Long Highway", but the latest album hasn't really grabbed me. Finally going to see them live in a couple of months though. I passed on seeing them a good few times back in their early days when they were often playing for next-to-nothing at the old East Brunswick Club (RIP) and have lived to regret that laziness.

I was a little obsessed with The Naked and Famous a couple years ago and kicked myself that for various reasons I didn't go to their gig. Gotta fix that.

They're good live, but I must say that the first time I saw them Alpine blew them off stage with a killer support set.

The second time was rather different in that regard, since Vancouver Sleep Clinic fucking lived up to their name and played one of the dullest support sets I've ever heard.

1) why aren't we hanging out?
2) Essential stations are 88.5 if you can get it to come in, 93.1, 95.5, 98.7 101.5 and I guess kroq for the experience of hearing how bad it's become 106.7. The other stations on LeMel's list are also programmed on my band but those are the stations I listen to most .

1. Good question. Probably cause I'm traveling with the family so doing stuff that entertains a 12 yr old. Been to both Disney parks thus far and did San Diego Zoo today. Hitting Universal tomorrow.

2. KLOS has been the station of choice thus far in the car

3. California's 8% sales & meal tax (not sure if that's state wide or if that's the rate in OC) can bite me.

Back
Top Bottom