Project Zero One / Songs of Ascent / New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
those raw clips are really interesting.. u2 sounds so much more like a band in clips like that.. their finished albums always sound so processed and pristine in comparison. it's a production style I suppose - a choice on their part..

but when was the last time a U2 album sounded like the band playing together? Joshua Tree?

I would argue POP. Sure most of it sounds studio produced, but IGWSHA, LNOE, Gone, & Please sounds like a band to me.

those raw clips are really interesting.. u2 sounds so much more like a band in clips like that.. their finished albums always sound so processed and pristine in comparison. it's a production style I suppose - a choice on their part..

but when was the last time a U2 album sounded like the band playing together? Joshua Tree?

i don't know... ATYCLB springs to my mind... *ducks* lol

Regarding the timing of a new album announcement: the problem is Spider-Man, but not in the way that you think. It's not that they're too busy working on Spider-Man to put some time in to finish off a new album, it's that they need to wait for the S:TOTD hype to wear down before the new album will get the public focus they want it to have.

Consider that NLOTH is viewed as a bit of a failure, either artistically or commercially, and then consider that U2 wants to take back the airwaves and/or the singles charts with their next album. They want the new album to be front and center in people's minds when they think of U2.

But that wouldn't be the case if they announced anything about the new album now, before S:TOTD officially opens. If they announced the new album tomorrow, and then S:TOTD finally has its official debut a month (or two) from now, then Spider-Man would be first and foremost in people's minds when they think of U2.

The new album can't be a succesful replacement for NLOTH if the new album itself is replaced by Spider-Man a month later.

So therefore, we're going to have to wait until S:TOTD is finalized and goes through another whole round of reviews and possible criticism before the band is comfortable shining a spotlight on their newest material.

Regarding the timing of a new album announcement: the problem is Spider-Man, but not in the way that you think. It's not that they're too busy working on Spider-Man to put some time in to finish off a new album, it's that they need to wait for the S:TOTD hype to wear down before the new album will get the public focus they want it to have.

Consider that NLOTH is viewed as a bit of a failure, either artistically or commercially, and then consider that U2 wants to take back the airwaves and/or the singles charts with their next album. They want the new album to be front and center in people's minds when they think of U2.

But that wouldn't be the case if they announced anything about the new album now, before S:TOTD officially opens. If they announced the new album tomorrow, and then S:TOTD finally has its official debut a month (or two) from now, then Spider-Man would be first and foremost in people's minds when they think of U2.

The new album can't be a succesful replacement for NLOTH if the new album itself is replaced by Spider-Man a month later.

So therefore, we're going to have to wait until S:TOTD is finalized and goes through another whole round of reviews and possible criticism before the band is comfortable shining a spotlight on their newest material.

Outside of U2 fans, I don't think too many people are even aware the Spiderman musical has anything to do with U2.

Spiderman was in the news a lot the last couple of months because of the injuries and financial problems. I was surprised at how little I saw Bono and The Edge's involvement mentioned.

I don't think people will automatically think of Spiderman when U2 is mentioned, it would be stupid for them to put off an album because of the play's opening.

Interesting theory, but I don't buy it...

Side project failures hardly ever effect a band the size of U2... In fact I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

Interesting theory, but I don't buy it...

Side project failures hardly ever effect a band the size of U2... In fact I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

MDH didn't effect "behind" did it? i can't remember.

Last edited:

Right now, the new album will be well received if its marketed correctly (unique/surprise release), if U2 don't exploit themselves, see NLOTH, & of course the music is good.

If the album/single comes across as something familiar but fresh at the same time, U2 will have success. Having Danger Mouse produce is a great start.

spiderman is a running gag and all, but most people really don't give a crap about spiderman... and it's certainly not an international problem... it's only playing in one city. if that is a reason to delay, it's a pretty crappy reason.

i don't buy this at all.

there's a much more simpler reason as to why they're taking a long time to say anything about a new album... they always do.

They would have attempted it. It would have popped up at some point. During the Vertigo Tour, they played almost every song off that album. Not playing SUC indicates that they probably regret it.

Crumbs was played quite late during Vertigo tour...and didn't they say before the 2010 tour legs they'd like to put in more NLOTH songs in the set ?

And again, the logic that "SUC didn't get played live" = "U2 hates SUC" does not work (the fact that, yes, it sounds more suitable to play live than the other three unplayed NLOTH songs - I can't see why Bono and Edge could not play WAS in the "acoustic song" spot in the setlist - had nothing to do with it, it is irrelevant). There are several songs U2 have never played live...they can't possibly hate that much of their catalogue. It's just another convenient excuse for the SUC haters. What difference would it make if it does get played live ? Haters gonna hate.
Mind you, a song they worked on for 16 months, no less. You don't spend that much time on something you hate. Or print tour merchandise T-shurts using a line of the song.

And it's interesting to watch the hate for SUC with something like Boots on the same album but different strokes...

edit: This was the same argument made around 2004 about song selection (Native Son vs Vertigo, Xanax vs Fast Cars, ABOY alt vs ABOY htdaab, etc.).
If U2 put it on there, then it 'must' have been better...uh, no.

I remember that argument. I still think that was a bad move on their part precisely because it stirs up people second-guessing the record. Yes, the album cuts were better...although I admit I miss the ABOY original lyric.

Crumbs was played quite late during Vertigo tour...and didn't they say before the 2010 tour legs they'd like to put in more NLOTH songs in the set ?

And again, the logic that "SUC didn't get played live" = "U2 hates SUC" does not work (the fact that, yes, it sounds more suitable to play live than the other three unplayed NLOTH songs - I can't see why Bono and Edge could not play WAS in the "acoustic song" spot in the setlist - had nothing to do with it, it is irrelevant). There are several songs U2 have never played live...they can't possibly hate that much of their catalogue. It's just another convenient excuse for the SUC haters. What difference would it make if it does get played live ? Haters gonna hate.
Mind you, a song they worked on for 16 months, no less. You don't spend that much time on something you hate. Or print tour merchandise T-shurts using a line of the song.

And it's interesting to watch the hate for SUC with something like Boots on the same album but different strokes...

edit: This was the same argument made around 2004 about song selection (Native Son vs Vertigo, Xanax vs Fast Cars, ABOY alt vs ABOY htdaab, etc.).
If U2 put it on there, then it 'must' have been better...uh, no.

I remember that argument. I still think that was a bad move on their part precisely because it stirs up people second-guessing the record. Yes, the album cuts were better...although I admit I miss the ABOY original lyric.
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Mind you, a song they worked on for 16 months, no less. You don't spend that much time on something you hate. Or print tour merchandise T-shurts using a line of the song. .

actually, I wonder if they're simply sick of the song, after having worked on it for the entire length of those sessions.

Crumbs was a song they actually talked about and soundcheck from day one, SUC has got no such love.

Maybe they liked the sentiment of the one line so they put it on a t-shirt, doesn't mean they like the song.

Even in the most recent article leading up to the release it talked about Bono writing some last minute lyrics and the author commented on the "little old lady" lyric and how Bono seemed to even cringe at it. So maybe just maybe when all was said and done they realized they just didn't catch anything with that song.

BTW, Boots is a far superior song.

^^^Boots is a superior and good song.

I just wish they would leave the pre chorus lyrics out, "You don't know how...". Should have just had the band playing, no need for lyrics as it sounds sloppy.

SUC.....well.......I'm afraid its worst U2 recorded song since........damn

OK, this is totally unconfirmed and speculative, but has anybody mentioned that Gavin Friday twitted "22:04:2011" earlier today? Maybe it doesn't mean anything. Don't kill me :reject:

edurban said:
OK, this is totally unconfirmed and speculative, but has anybody mentioned that Gavin Friday twitted "22:04:2011" earlier today? Maybe it doesn't mean anything. Don't kill me :reject:

Maybe that's when the single comes out? Or he could be going on holiday that day!

:hmm: Wasn't he also working on a new album?

Release date of the new Gavin Friday album! :hyper:

BloodRedSky2k5 said:
That's the date of Good Friday this year. Can't imagine U2 premiering a song on that day.

There's a bad pun waiting here. Was it all just self-celebratory? Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom