Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the article quoted above been written by a member of a U2 forum?

My first thought. Hey, an interferencer is getting U2 criticism published! Only an interferencer could refer to the last 13 years with a five year gap just before the present time as "recently".

The best part of this track is, it is NOT OVER PRODUCED.!!!!!! It's very light, and has a raw, clean sound to it. Just the boyz and some keyboards...... I think DM did his homework and realized that they are at their best when its just the 4 of them.
This excites me .......because I feel the best is yet to come....We're going to get an album that is somewhat under "produced"
Not like the last few..... More like their incredible early tunes...Surrender, Brick, Stranger, Another Time....My personal favorite A Day Without Me.....Go DM Go!!!

The article is good, I see his point.

I like the song, even some parts, a lot. However, hearing the "clear" version made me think and believe that U2 is getting lazier and lazier. Larry's drumming is very very simple, Adam's bass as well and Edge's is just a joke..... he plays 2 notes overall..... Anyway, with that amount of laziness they are still putting out a pretty good song (thanks to Bono's voice and to the hooking melody). I know it's a soundtrack song, but I really hope they still have something else in their guts, remember, the same band wrote The Electric Co, Like a song, Wire, Exit, God part 2, The Fly, Zooropa, Mofo, Please, Gone..... I'm just a bit scared for the new album.:hmm:

I think it's some of the freshest sounding U2 in long time, very happy they've not gone back to Mofo , The Fly etc. It's a 3 min pop song for a soundtrack, it's not trying to stop world Hunger or be number 1 for months

Has the article quoted above been written by a member of a U2 forum? Because it sounds like that. I can't believe someone is bothering to write an over-intellectual article about a simple song. This is ridiculous.

It's a pity that so many are searching for little details to complain about in this song. What I personally enjoy about it is its simplicity. I'm a fan of nature metaphors, I use them a lot in my own poetry. I don't like overly intellectual stuff in lyrics, I like feelings more than thoughts. Those lyrics give me images that I can really relate to and enjoy without having to think too much about it. It's fitting for a movie soundtrack. And I think it IS an indicator for Bono's current mindset. Some might find this development disturbing or scaring, but we need to realize that Bono's vision of the world and his artistic approach has changed a lot in the last 10 to 15 years. It's good that way, people are changing and evolving, not everyone might like that but personally I would be very disturbed if the new album would sound like something they did 20 years ago.

I do have to agree with this. Maybe you could acuse me of going in with low expectations, but I look at this song as just a song for a soundtrack. Nothing more. If this was U2's epic return then they would have made a bigger deal about it.

This is present on many songs from the last few albums.

On something like Cedars Of Lebanon or Breath it's ok because he's "speak-singing" the lyrics, but everywhere else it's just bad songwriting, sacrificing vocal melody in favor of the ideas in the words. Crazy Tonight, Get On Your Boots, Stuck In A Moment, . Those are three off the top of my head.

I have to agree, i remember thinking the same thing when I first got NLOTh, listening to it whilst reading the song sheets. Breathe and Crazy spring to mind.

When I heard the sample clip on the trailer for the first time, I thought there was nowhere near enough there to make a judgement. From the little I heard, I was cautiously optimistic.

When I heard this song in its entirety for the first time, I was underwhelmed. I had, however, been up for 35 hours straight- I'd just gotten home from working overnight after flying home to Boston from Las Vegas. So lack of sleep could have affected my perception.

Anyways, I didn't hate it, and I, like many others thought it sounded good and fresh. I certainly wasn't putting it at or anywhere near the bottom of my U2 song rankings. Just wasn't going up there with New Year's Day, Bad, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, One, Please, Ultraviolet.... you get the idea.

After 3 more listens while fully awake and coherent, I like this song a lot and find many reasons to be encouraged. The lyrics are good, not great. They're still a bit cheesy and t- shirt slogan like, but not enough to make them stand out as weak. I do think Lazarus brought up a great point about the post-2000 tendency of Bono to stuff the verses with syllables Definitely U2 by numbers with the band, but all contribute well and do not do anything over the top or out of place to stand out- kind of the opposite of Bomb in that respect.

Very solid song, very catchy, nice combination of ambient, melodic and rock elements of U2. Really shines in the production, that's mostly why I'm so encouraged- it's truly a fresh sound even though it's U2 by numbers. I am not looking for an album of Ordinary Love clones and that's certainly not what we're getting, but if the production here is any indication to how DM will approach other elements of U2's sound, we're in for a real treat.

I don't think I've ever been this encouraged by a one off non album U2 song that I and most others will admit is in the middle of the pack when we rank U2's overall catalog.

Great to hear, and even better that they're back!:up::up:

The best part of this track is, it is NOT OVER PRODUCED.!!!!!! It's very light, and has a raw, clean sound to it. Just the boyz and some keyboards...... I think DM did his homework and realized that they are at their best when its just the 4 of them.
This excites me .......because I feel the best is yet to come....We're going to get an album that is somewhat under "produced"
Not like the last few..... More like their incredible early tunes...Surrender, Brick, Stranger, Another Time....My personal favorite A Day Without Me.....Go DM Go!!!

This!! Great post!

I have been saying for a while that I think they'd do really well to listen to some of their early 1980s work. Clearly, DM has! I love that raw U2 sound, and I don't think HTDAAB (which I love) was in any way indicative of what a revisiting of the early U2 sound would have to be like.

I can hear elements of October, War and UF in Ordinary Love. The slide guitar recalled Surrender, as someone else noted. I can't draw any other lines from Ordinary to a particular early U2 song, but the raw feel and the way the instruments are approached is definitely very, very similar.

This is EXTREMELY encouraging. If they're doing this with a little tribute song for a soundtrack and playing it by the numbers safe for mass appeal, imagine what they'll do with the more rock oriented and more ambient songs! Very excited!!

I'd take my rock more like Electric Co, Surrender and Two Hearts and my ambient more like TUF, The Ocean and October any day!

Signs are VERY encouraging.

I do have to agree with this. Maybe you could acuse me of going in with low expectations, but I look at this song as just a song for a soundtrack. Nothing more. If this was U2's epic return then they would have made a bigger deal about it.

Yep, the funny thing is Chris Martin would probably cut his left arm off to write something like this. Sadly if Coldplay released this it would be No1 everywhere.(Not that I want to go on about Coldplay but it does remind me of them)

It's a simple catchy effective pop song, thats it. There's really no need for all the mad analysis that's going on. As I said, my wife who hates U2 is going around humming it saying it's good, it has pop appeal.

What I would say though is that it is easily much better and fresher than the poppy stuff they tried on NLOTH or HTDAAB.

You Too Can Hear U2 Overthink Its New Song

I don't agree with this article, but it was an interesting viewpoint...

I like the irony of his in-depth analysis.

...Maybe you could acuse me of going in with low expectations, but I look at this song as just a song for a soundtrack. Nothing more. If this was U2's epic return then they would have made a bigger deal about it.

:up:

It's not U2's most brilliant song (and I don't think it's intended to be, as you say).

Just a powerful conduit to Nelson Mandela's story.

Signs are VERY encouraging.

Anything new from Edge is always encouraging - just want him to keep playing that outro. :drool:

Agreed. I pretty much lost my faith in U2 over the years, so I have zero expectations on their output. :lol: It just takes too bloody long!

But this song was a nice change, and I am excited about the production. The crystal clear drums and guitar in the mix are REALLY nice. Though I can't hear the bass as good, got plenty of that on NLOTH. So yeah, I'll see what they'll release as album in the end and don't actually expect it to sound anything like this song.

Great song and DM signature production but NO surprise! I want to be surprise with their next new single. Surprise us!!!

My perspective on the song is this...if Ordinary Love had been on NLOTH I think it immediately would have been one of the top 3 tracks on the album and an obvious choice as a radio friendly single.

I think the fade out cuts the song off too early, but would guess the track on an album might have a little more 'complete' feel.

I think it's a very encouraging sign for the next album.

It fits the movie.

There's a lot of things I like about U2, but for this movie it's quite fitting.

If I had to do it I would think it needs broad appeal and I think this does that. It definitely doesn't offend any of the movie demographic.

I look forward to the possibility of some other mixes.

The poppy stuff from NLOTH was pretty poopy. Do you agree, Sr. Poop?

Yep, the funny thing is Chris Martin would probably cut his left arm off to write something like this. Sadly if Coldplay released this it would be No1 everywhere.(Not that I want to go on about Coldplay but it does remind me of them)

It's a simple catchy effective pop song, thats it. There's really no need for all the mad analysis that's going on. As I said, my wife who hates U2 is going around humming it saying it's good, it has pop appeal.

What I would say though is that it is easily much better and fresher than the poppy stuff they tried on NLOTH or HTDAAB.

Of everything U2 has done, it sounds most like Magnificent. Smooth synths, slide guitar, chimey guitar bits, etc.

It's so beautiful that some tears are shedding from my eyes out of joy !!! I think last time i cried hearing a U2 song was after hearing WHITE AS SNOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom