Opening Acts 2010 - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no denying Muse is an awesome band,however a number of their fans are nothing short of major assholes :down: ...never have I read posts by fans of a supporting act for
U2 that were so disingenuous and spiteful towards the Dublin boys.

Reading the tripe on the "Gigs and Tours" (muse.mu) board I would have thought that
U2 was the support act....they bash U2 and their fans and at the same time then get angry deliberating why more U2 fans aren't checking Muse out :doh:...it's one thing to be proud of the band you follow but quite another as to be so blatantly arrogant.

I won't go into details but if anyone doubts what I have to say you would do well to visit Muse's website and see for yourself...even when U2 is shown some praise ...it is almost given grudgingly as if thier arms were twisted into saying something nice.

All this is not lost on some people yesterday @U2 twitter had this tweet on the GA line

"12:50 pm 9/24 ...MUSE fans have arrived and promptly cut the line. A-holes"

that about sums it up doesn't it??

I wish Snow Patrol would come back for the Wash. D.C. and Charlottesville gigs I am seeing...not because I don't want to see Muse...but because I don't want to deal with their A-hole fans.

Snow Patrol fans were a helluva lot more respectful :up:

funny I don't remember their fans being assholes back in 2004 when I saw them in NY ....it must be a "Twlight" thing :D

I really liked seeing Snow Patrol in Chicago. That being said, I love Muse, and it would be cool to see them... but having Snow Patrol in the house in Chicago was kind of special, for the Irish connection, especially since there was a Celtic Festival in Millennium Park the days of the shows.

Also, the problem with Muse in the US is that their primary fan base consists of art-rock types who don't like Radiohead, and Twilight (the "book"/movie series, not the U2 song) teenyboppers.

I really liked seeing Snow Patrol in Chicago. That being said, I love Muse, and it would be cool to see them... but having Snow Patrol in the house in Chicago was kind of special, for the Irish connection, especially since there was a Celtic Festival in Millennium Park the days of the shows.

Also, the problem with Muse in the US is that their primary fan base consists of art-rock types who don't like Radiohead, and Twilight (the "book"/movie series, not the U2 song) teenyboppers.

Yeah I never would have thought that their fans would have a problem with Radiohead,but you're right...there is friction there.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I would love to see Muse at Fed Ex Field with my 2 friends minus all the A-hole Muse fans that would dare to disrespect U2 (lol)...something tells me all their internet bashing of U2 will be reduced to a murmur when they are actually at the concert venues :D

what's funny about their bashing is none of them have seen U2 live before.. They are associating what Bono does for charities outside of the band as the basis for their opinion..

i mean some of them plan on leaving before U2 comes on.. here is someone's profile info under their avi..
Location: $40=Muse concert tshirt...$132=tickets to see Muse at FedEx field...Leaving during U2 =priceless

I see a lot of BEP bashing from people who most likely never saw them before... Why call the Muse fans out on it?

Yeah It's pretty hilarious reading some of the comments on the YouTube videos of their opening set. Their fans talking about how they "run circles" around U2 and that they make the band look like "amateurs". They are so snotty.

I agree though that it's silly to get angry over Muse fans bashing U2 when there have been a lot of "omg i have to sit through _______, they SUCK!" posts in this thread alone.

I'm really using my tolerance with the Muse fans now. I used to be on the muse.mu messageboard a lot but seeing how many of them are commenting on U2 and "the U2 fans" (because all of them are the same, according to them, namely "rude") makes me really upset. I love Muse, but these fans should stop a minute and think about what they are saying. First, this tour gives their band the chance to play in front of enormous audiences, in a country where they aren't that popular yet. Second, U2 treats their support bands well and with respect, lets them use much of their equipment, technical stuff, lightening and so on, that's not a given with many other big bands. Third, man let's talk in 20 years time and see what has become of Muse and if they have been able to reach U2's legendary status and touch the lives of so many people, play in front of such audiences and have that success. Again, nothing against Muse at all, but the fans need to show U2 some respect. Only because the audience didn't go wild for Muse as support, doesn't mean that U2 is crap. Some of these fans overestimate what it means to be a support band. They aren't the main act here. Some Muse fans complain about U2 and Bono being arrogant, but how arrogant is it to say: Hey, Muse were the real main act! That's just not ok. I'm sure U2 have nothing but respect for Muse and I wish music fans would have some more respect and tolerance for other bands and their fans.

I'm really using my tolerance with the Muse fans now. I used to be on the muse.mu messageboard a lot but seeing how many of them are commenting on U2 and "the U2 fans" (because all of them are the same, according to them, namely "rude") makes me really upset. I love Muse, but these fans should stop a minute and think about what they are saying. First, this tour gives their band the chance to play in front of enormous audiences, in a country where they aren't that popular yet. Second, U2 treats their support bands well and with respect, lets them use much of their equipment, technical stuff, lightening and so on, that's not a given with many other big bands. Third, man let's talk in 20 years time and see what has become of Muse and if they have been able to reach U2's legendary status and touch the lives of so many people, play in front of such audiences and have that success. Again, nothing against Muse at all, but the fans need to show U2 some respect. Only because the audience didn't go wild for Muse as support, doesn't mean that U2 is crap. Some of these fans overestimate what it means to be a support band. They aren't the main act here. Some Muse fans complain about U2 and Bono being arrogant, but how arrogant is it to say: Hey, Muse were the real main act! That's just not ok. I'm sure U2 have nothing but respect for Muse and I wish music fans would have some more respect and tolerance for other bands and their fans.

That sucks to read all of this. I've introduced so many of my friends to Muse, I should get a cut of the sales.
How lame as a fan. Do the Muse devotees think that The U2360 Tour is a festival? THEY ARE AN OPENING ACT!!! I'm sure Matt and the rest are glad to have the exposure.
I love Muse (although I don't care for the new album much), I've seen them live 2-3 times, why do I have to find out that a lot of their fan base are douchebags?

It's too bad. Oh well, U2 have had a target on their back for years.

Mark

BTW--I have gone to shows to see the opening act instead of the main act several times. I never badmouthed the headliner. I gave them a chance to impress me, and sometimes they did (Travis with Remy Zero opening for one). I just don't understand the arrogance of someone bashing the headliner of a show they've paid to see.

I do understand bashing an opening act, especially if you have a frame of reference for your distaste.

Headliners help the opening bands get exposure. U2 could easily take the stage cold with no opener, but they've chosen some great bands to warm up the crowd. I wish North America got 2 opening bands.

But paying to see a U2 show and bashing them? Well, you're just a moron then.
(and thank you for your monetary support)

M

well if people are leaving after the muse set, then that means better spots on the pitch! :wink:

That's what I told my friend and niece about the NY/NJ shows, but they said they didn't notice anyone leave the inner circle. So much for bolting after Muse's set as many vowed to do.

I love Muse and wasn't thrilled that I was getting Snow Patrol as the support act in Foxboro, but I must say they were really great, and even the crowd in the the seats were into them on both nights. I'm still bummed that I didn't get to see Muse open for U2. That would have been a really great kick-off to the show for me.

BTW--I have gone to shows to see the opening act instead of the main act several times.

I've done that a couple of times too. I never thought about leaving once the the support act left the stage because I wanted to get my money's worth.

I couldn't ever see myself paying to see a support act if I hated the main act. There is no way that I am going to contribute towards the earnings of an artist that I dislike or wouldn't spend $9.99 to buy their CD. No way.

Now if the gig were free.....

After seeing Snow Patrol 3 times, I am now a fan :love: I found a few recordings of their sets where they opened for U2, but I'd like to find some tapings of their regular full length shows. Does anyone know if they exist and where to find them?

After seeing Snow Patrol 3 times, I am now a fan :love: I found a few recordings of their sets where they opened for U2, but I'd like to find some tapings of their regular full length shows. Does anyone know if they exist and where to find them?

Check around the board at snowpatrol.com there's a regularly updated thread in the live forum that has some shows both recent and older

Anyone can PM me about a Snow Patrol boot. I've got a special one.

Mark

BTW--I have gone to shows to see the opening act instead of the main act several times. I never badmouthed the headliner. I gave them a chance to impress me, and sometimes they did (Travis with Remy Zero opening for one). I just don't understand the arrogance of someone bashing the headliner of a show they've paid to see.

I do understand bashing an opening act, especially if you have a frame of reference for your distaste.

Headliners help the opening bands get exposure. U2 could easily take the stage cold with no opener, but they've chosen some great bands to warm up the crowd. I wish North America got 2 opening bands.

M
exactly. one thing i will never forget is when i saw popmart. rage was opening for them and two of my classmates took great pride in telling me all the time of their plan to see rage and then leave. they had much better seats than me too. :|

i still enjoyed the concert (except for the opening act, sorry just not my cup of tea), but it's just a shitty way to act.

Yeah unfortunately there's lots of idiotic/immature comments about U2 on the Muse board :down: Probably because it's the gathering place for the most rabid contingent of fans with the whole clannish mentality turned up to 11. Mind you, U2 gets bashed like there's no tomorrow on just about every non-U2 music forum I go to (as opposed to Interference :wink:).

When I was in Gelsenkirchen there were 3 girls standing next to me with SP tour shirts on. They bought tix for the U2 gig just to see SP playing. It was kinda funny to see them freaking out when SP came on stage and then after the 'main act' started they were a bit more quiet (= they were just standing there lol).
Is this :huh: or :love: ? LOL!

I won't go into details but if anyone doubts what I have to say you would do well to visit Muse's website and see for yourself...even when U2 is shown some praise ...it is almost given grudgingly as if thier arms were twisted into saying something nice.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's enough stress in life without subjecting yourself to that when it's really unimportant what Muse fans think...unless those fans are booing U2 at their own concerts or something it really makes no difference. I think most of us here are pretty protective of the band so these kinds of things bother us, unfortunately. I don't know much about Muse but I get the feeling they're a bit arrogant themselves and probably are a little pissed that they're an opening act when they can sell out stadiums in Europe on their own. As I said, I don't know much about them so that's just my opinion.

Yeah unfortunately there's lots of idiotic/immature comments about U2 on the Muse board :down: Probably because it's the gathering place for the most rabid contingent of fans with the whole clannish mentality turned up to 11. Mind you, U2 gets bashed like there's no tomorrow on just about every non-U2 music forum I go to (as opposed to Interference :wink:).

to be fair, let's see how the majority of interference responds to bands that aren't u2 :shrug:

Nowhere have I seen bashing as bad against the main act(U2) as I've seen it on the Muse board....yes bashing of U2 seems to be par for the course on any non-U2 music board...but this is U2 's tour and these asswipe fans get insulted that Muse even has to share a bill with U2...complaining they arent on long enough...they are going on too early....should have full use of the screens,catwalks etc. U2 fans in GA should move out of their way so they can be nearer the stage when Muse comes on cause they're going to be leaving before U2 comes on(they've got better things to do with their time,etc.)....then they actually got mad that not enough U2 fans were in the stadium when Muse came on..."how dare they show up after Muse has put on an amazing performance,better than their band could ever do.."
I'll be at the show in Maryland tommorow with some friends,curious too see if any Muse fans verbalise all their tough internet talk in person :hmm:

to be fair, let's see how the majority of interference responds to bands that aren't u2 :shrug:

Not really. I feel U2 fans are much more tolerant towards other bands than many fans of other bands are towards U2 fans. I got into an incredible amount of new music and bands here in the music forum, I've never found anything like that on another board. I think it's a sign of respect and maturity to acknowledge the achievements of another band that might not be your favourite band. It doesn't take anything away from Muse if their fans would accept that U2 is a great band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom