U2 Announces 2010 360 Tour Opening Acts - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I join in on the lottery fest :sad: I'm getting serious cold turkey since Brussels....

cobl04 said:
can i just say Jay-Z is FUCKING BRILLIANT.

enjoy Kravitz and The Fray fools :lol: :tongue:

I have to admit, I :lol: at your post

:| Why doesnt L.A. get the cool ones,?? Kanye and JayZ... , no, instead we get Damien Marley and Lenny :grumpy:

I know "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but ......

... I cannot fathom your enthusiasm for The Fray.

You're right. I have very low tolerance for rap, but even I would tolerate Jay Z rather than The Fray. He isn't that awful.

Lol I seem to be getting the same comedic response about The Fray! I dont understand why they're disliked so much!!! I mean, granted their music outside of their top hits isn't that great, they've got a good 10 or so songs (of which you'd most likely hear as an opening act) that are really great.

I'm just really surprised, what's with the utter distaste for The Fray? I mean, it doesn't bother me none, I'm used to those arounding me disliking my music (today I got a 91 on my rock n roll history paper, a travesty considering I added 4 extra pages, it was on U2 and the professor didnt seem very fond of them).

Thing about Jay Z, and every other popular hip hop artist, is that they steal melodic tunes to popularize their music. I wouldnt go so far as calling them "thieves" because the real beauty of their music lies in the poetic rap. If it's got a rap sound, it's probably original. If it's got any slight form of rock n roll melodic tune, it's more than likely sampled/covered. Take 'Young Forever' as an example. 1980s Alphaville song. Not many people know that.

South America gets Muse. Damn lucky bastards. And Mexico gets Snow Patrol? I need to win the lottery. :sad:
Damn lucky bastards is right. I was hoping that the US tour mix-up would result in a different opener for Chicago, but we're still stuck with Interpol. They're all right, I guess, but U2/Muse would have been "best night of my life" material.
Or how about Broken Bells? C'mon, they're already working with 1/2 of the band regularly. Is James Mercer really that busy?
EDIT:
Yeah, Jay-Z has more than one fan, unlike The Fray.
:lol:

I just find them really, really boring.

Alright fair enough. I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I personally enjoy it, I'm a sucker for good piano playing in rock.

I'm just surprised that The Fray is seen so poorly particularly in the eyes of U2 fans (where the music is loosely related).

Which makes me wonder... other than the direct fans of The Fray (such as we are the direct fans of U2)... The Fray must have a poor following, right? Well then how come they enjoy such a mainstream radio success?

Mainstream radio should not be used as any indication of "good." It's full of stuff often regarded as crap. (Not that that is anything new in popular music!)

I'm not saying that to be a slam against the Fray, it's just that it's often baffling as to how some artists can be so successful on mainstream radio. Obviously, a lot of people like them. A lot of people like Justin Bieber and Nickelback, too.

You may see their music as being loosely related to U2, and sure, okay. I guess I can see that. But for me, I find one band extremely interesting, and the other extremely boring. Doesn't matter how many of core elements their music may share - it doesn't mean they're both going to be equally "good" or equally liked.

I like good piano playing in rock as well, but I have to like the rest of the song as well, not just the ivory tickling. :)

Mainstream radio should not be used as any indication of "good." It's full of stuff often regarded as crap. (Not that that is anything new in popular music!)

I'm not saying that to be a slam against the Fray, it's just that it's often baffling as to how some artists can be so successful on mainstream radio. Obviously, a lot of people like them. A lot of people like Justin Bieber and Nickelback, too.

You may see their music as being loosely related to U2, and sure, okay. I guess I can see that. But for me, I find one band extremely interesting, and the other extremely boring. Doesn't matter how many of core elements their music may share - it doesn't mean they're both going to be equally "good" or equally liked.

I like good piano playing in rock as well, but I have to like the rest of the song as well, not just the ivory tickling. :)

Well I never intended upon labeling mainstream as 'good'. That wouldn't make any case for 99% of rap, pop, or R&B music which is just awful. The point behind my mainstream comment was that crap like Lil Wayne, mainstream rap, has a huge following [and I'm yet to understand why]. Anybody I know, mostly of the younger generation, would not say they like or listen to The Fray either. I just want to know... who is actually out there listening to The Fray?

I know, you make great points, but the point I'm trying to say is as follows - if U2 has a loose relation with The Fray, I do not understand why just about everybody here dislikes The Fray. Take a step back on a more conceptual thought on this. I'm just surprised that everybody here is turned off by The Fray, as opposed to the handful of likes and dislikes. Ya know what I mean?

Are you saying that you'd think more U2 fans would like them because you see a "loose connection" between the two bands, musically? You could probably say the same thing about U2 and a lot of other bands, but just because we're U2 fans doesn't mean we're going to like all other bands that have some sort of musical connection or loose similarity.

My guess is that most people who dislike them around here would agree that it's that they are just bland. I don't think there's anything exciting or very interesting about them or their songs.

For me, even if you're kind of boring and inoffensive musically, at least have a song or two that I like, or I'm going to write you off completely. Full disclosure - I do kind of like one Fray song. But that's not enough for me to think they're a good choice to open for U2. :wink:

But yeah, I have no idea who out there is listening to The Fray.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Lol I seem to be getting the same comedic response about The Fray! I dont understand why they're disliked so much!!! I mean, granted their music outside of their top hits isn't that great, they've got a good 10 or so songs (of which you'd most likely hear as an opening act) that are really great.

I'm just really surprised, what's with the utter distaste for The Fray? I mean, it doesn't bother me none, I'm used to those arounding me disliking my music (today I got a 91 on my rock n roll history paper, a travesty considering I added 4 extra pages, it was on U2 and the professor didnt seem very fond of them).

Thing about Jay Z, and every other popular hip hop artist, is that they steal melodic tunes to popularize their music. I wouldnt go so far as calling them "thieves" because the real beauty of their music lies in the poetic rap. If it's got a rap sound, it's probably original. If it's got any slight form of rock n roll melodic tune, it's more than likely sampled/covered. Take 'Young Forever' as an example. 1980s Alphaville song. Not many people know that.

Well I would argue that Jay-Z is infinitely more creative and original than The Fray.

Are you saying that you'd think more U2 fans would like them because you see a "loose connection" between the two bands, musically? You could probably say the same thing about U2 and a lot of other bands, but just because we're U2 fans doesn't mean we're going to like all other bands that have some sort of musical connection or loose similarity.

My guess is that most people who dislike them around here would agree that it's that they are just bland. I don't think there's anything exciting or very interesting about them or their songs.

For me, even if you're kind of boring and inoffensive musically, at least have a song or two that I like, or I'm going to write you off completely. Full disclosure - I do kind of like one Fray song. But that's not enough for me to think they're a good choice to open for U2. :wink:

But yeah, I have no idea who out there is listening to The Fray.

On your first paragraph, I think you're missing my point. No, we [including myself] the U2 fans arent 'expected' to enjoy The Fray. The point is, I see no reason to have a consensus against The Fray among U2 fans if they're of similar genre and are a popular band, as opposed to Interpol, who is not a popular band and everyone seems to dislike.

Well I would argue that Jay-Z is infinitely more creative and original than The Fray.

Lyrically, miles upon miles more creative. Jay-Z is my certain exception to hip-hop and rap music. Either way, there is no doubting that the casual Jay-Z fan isn't a fan because of his lyrical poetry, most enjoy his catchy tunes. What makes Empire State of Mind a hit? Alicia Keys and the melody. Young Forever? Mr. Hudson and the melody.

It takes an open mind to appriciate what Jay-Z can do, I respect him much more than The Fray, but in the end intrumental creative composition (if you will) goes to The Fray, whose popular music stems from their own creations as opposed to someone elses.

Dont get me wrong, I'd probably see Jay-Z now that I think of it over the Fray if I had the option just because it's an opportunity of a lifetime as opposed to generic sound such as The Fray (which I understand, but just because it's generic doesn't mean it's not enjoyable).

All bands that I don't like are crap.

:wave:

Pretty true, and I dont mean to run off on a tangent here but that's the shame with music. Most people refuse to give certain music a chance. You'll hear me bitch about my roomates if anyone notices my posts - they hear Bono's voice and they automatically say "CRAP!". They cant name any of the songs, they've never heard any of them until I got here. It's just the fact that they are U2. That's the reason for the hate. I experience the same issues with The Ramones and my roomates - they dont even know who they are!!!

No, I'm not trying to say 'give The Fray a chance'. I've come to understand that just about everybody on these forums are musically ahead of any regular person. I trust that just about everybody's opinions on these forums are of full thought rather than a closed-minded approach.

Pretty true, and I dont mean to run off on a tangent here but...

Most people over 30 get very close-minded when it comes to new music.
Most of my over-40 friends are still stuck in the 80's, never to escape.

I think The Fray suck ass, but I'll be watching them innocently, hoping they win me over.
If they don't, then :madwife:

Most people over 30 get very close-minded when it comes to new music.
Most of my over-40 friends are still stuck in the 80's, never to escape.

I think The Fray suck ass, but I'll be watching them innocently, hoping they win me over.
If they don't, then :madwife:

Interesting that you say that. I think the youth of today is equally close-minded when it comes to music other than what they like. People are ridiculously factioned off, although I guess that's pretty much the tale of music throughout history, right? No such thing as musical appriciation. People want to have an identity, so you've got the mindless sheep of today's generations following the rap craze and they refuse to even give other music a chance. Because those who surround them do not like it.

Sad, really.

Anyways, good luck with The Fray lol! I think they certainly define an opening act in my opinion.

I got Interpol in Brussels and I didn't really like them. But maybe that was because I'm not very familiar with their music and I was way too excited for U2 to really listen.
I would have preferred Muse anytime :love:

Back
Top Bottom