U2 Announces 2010 360 Tour Opening Acts - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm probably one of the only ones who was extremely happy with Interpol. They're my favourite band of all the openers (including Muse) and I got them at my only show. But I have to say that the crowd didn't seem into it at all.

I'm probably one of the only ones who was extremely happy with Interpol. They're my favourite band of all the openers (including Muse) and I got them at my only show. But I have to say that the crowd didn't seem into it at all.

You like them? You can have them from now on. I'll happily trade ya Muse for them! :up:
Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad at all. Just.. a bit monotonous. After about 3 songs it all started to sound the same.

Lyrically, miles upon miles more creative. Jay-Z is my certain exception to hip-hop and rap music. Either way, there is no doubting that the casual Jay-Z fan isn't a fan because of his lyrical poetry, most enjoy his catchy tunes. What makes Empire State of Mind a hit? Alicia Keys and the melody. Young Forever? Mr. Hudson and the melody.

It takes an open mind to appriciate what Jay-Z can do, I respect him much more than The Fray, but in the end intrumental creative composition (if you will) goes to The Fray, whose popular music stems from their own creations as opposed to someone elses.

Dont get me wrong, I'd probably see Jay-Z now that I think of it over the Fray if I had the option just because it's an opportunity of a lifetime as opposed to generic sound such as The Fray (which I understand, but just because it's generic doesn't mean it's not enjoyable).
again, i disagree, but at least you're open to debate and other opinions unlike some people.

you're placing too much emphasis on the Forever Young song he does. yes people enjoy that song for the parts that existed before Jay-Z, that's for sure. but that's only one song, he has tons of others that he has created without such large samples from other songs.

personally i think using samples in an inventive way is more creative than The Fray's instrumental composotion, because Jay-Z, with producer, have sliced up samples from here and there, added their own beats and lyrics and put them together in a way that sounds awesome, compared to The Fray whose instrumental composition - yes, they have come up with it themselves, i know - is nothing new and has been done by many bands before.

Ok so I've been watching some youtube stuff of Jay-Z opening.

And here I thought Kanye opening was the shit.

Seriously, Jay-Z is on a whole different level. Best opener of the tour, right there.

His band is craaazy. I mean, Kanye's female violinists were hot too but...he has a fuckin horn section for crissakes.

i saw some on kanye's string section up close. not that great.

but yeah. kanye west got a string section on stage. jay-z played a fucking rock concert.

i got more out of kanye at the time, but if i were to be honest, long term i've got a shitload out of jay-z. maybe not more than kanye, but it'd be a crime to say i didn't love every moment of jay-z.

and, his involvement in scarlet was better than bono could have imagined.

Odd, I thought the same thing watching the youtube videos...that while back then Kanye probably had more songs I liked at the time, I think Jay-Zs performance in totality is probably better. Mind you, I saw Kanye in person, and Jay-Z on youtube, but I doubt seeing Jay in person would lessen the experience.

Question: did Jay utilize the catwalk/ramps alot? Honestly I felt that in Portland - compared to other opening acts on that tour - Kanye OWNED that ramp.

I guess I should just clarify that I didn't find Kanye's string section "hot" as in a sexual or attractive way per se, wasn't really looking for that in the show, just thought the idea to have them involved was a hot one..but you're totally right, Jay's band looks like it is rocking the fuck out. That's a full on show. :up: Which is why, of course, I always roll my eyes when a rock fan goes "Oh noez not a rapper opening for U2!11!!!" because in terms of a live show and the instrumentation? Not much difference between real rap and hard rock. :shrug:

Odd, I thought the same thing watching the youtube videos...that while back then Kanye probably had more songs I liked at the time, I think Jay-Zs performance in totality is probably better. Mind you, I saw Kanye in person, and Jay-Z on youtube, but I doubt seeing Jay in person would lessen the experience.

Question: did Jay utilize the catwalk/ramps alot? Honestly I felt that in Portland - compared to other opening acts on that tour - Kanye OWNED that ramp.

I guess I should just clarify that I didn't find Kanye's string section "hot" as in a sexual or attractive way per se, wasn't really looking for that in the show, just thought the idea to have them involved was a hot one..but you're totally right, Jay's band looks like it is rocking the fuck out. That's a full on show. :up: Which is why, of course, I always roll my eyes when a rock fan goes "Oh noez not a rapper opening for U2!11!!!" because in terms of a live show and the instrumentation? Not much difference between real rap and hard rock. :shrug:

i agree with your first paragraph 100%. i loved kanye at the time, he gained a fan, but jay-z was on another level entirely.

kanye was psychically blocked from using the vertigo catwalks outdoors. a very large section of the ramps were removed, but you just knew how much he wanted to be in it.

hilariously, i agree with you again. kanye getting a string section on stage was very cool, and jay-z having a full band plus two drummers was...wow.

you're right. straight rock and the brand of so-called rap that kanye west and jay-z perform is barely different from u2. i'm so glad the band has more open music tastes than the fans....i'd have fucking topped myself if i had to endure snow patrol or muse.

i even hate to harp on about it, but being at the same time as the mine disaster just made jay-z and u2 so much more powerful. jigga made an emotional connection that will be so hard to top.

Agree 100%!

And it's not even like I've had any issue whatsoever with the 2 U2 openers I've seen. I thoroughly enjoyed Keane on Vertigo and the same for Snow Patrol on 360. Interpol is opening the 2 shows I am seeing in 2011, I will admit to knowing absolutely nothing about them.

Jay-Z is a talented lyricist, melodist even and the arrangements are pretty original as far as rap goes.

I've worked 2 of his live shows and the first time, he made me take him seriously just based on who I saw running his tour when I arrived at 8 AM for the day shift. He had the nicest and most professional tour manager(Randy Barzelli) and everyone working for them was pure class. A lot of the security guys I'd recognized from U2 and Madonna shows and was pleasantly surprised to learn that many of the security for Jay learned with U2 from none other than Jerry Mele!

The show itself, the little I heard, was great! I see "Forever Young" is Jay-Z's "40" it just has great emotional resonance live and was made to close shows.

Then I asked to see the entire show when he came to the Boston Garden in March 2010 and was even more impressed. Very similar to Bono in how he thanks and appreciates the fans, the staff, etc. Shook my hand and talked to me briefly, again, was a class act!

Trust me, he is as good as you think he is live:up:

And shame on all the U2 fans who aren't even giving the guy a chance!

As someone else said already(maybe even you, Gvox), if you see Jay-Z and U2, you not seeing an opener and a headliner but rather 2 major league, major talent, blow away awesome live acts for the price of one!

On to the next one, I'm on to the next one..FREEZE! :rockon:

Oh good memories of this special month in Australia! I think Jay Z did a great job at opening, completely changed my opinion on him, and others have said it had a real rock feel to it, I mean he had 2 crazy drummers!, his set was intense!

:heart:ed the brass section too!

Yeah! :up:
And with his band playing Radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place (a Kid A song!) in an excellent way, you know you're in for something special. Thoroughly enjoyed his set (seemed like a kinda greatest hits one) at every concert. Also nice to see him smile that much and genuinely appreciating being there and getting a good reception.

Now, c'mon! Bounce! Bounce! :hyper:

hip hop is all the same bitches and hos and shit.

Actually the point wasn't even that general. If I had to summarise the point of the piece, well I couldn't. But a long-winded attempt to explain it would be something along the lines of:

I thought there was something a bit incongruous, perhaps even hypocritical, about an artist rapping about freedom with U2 in a song celebrating the release of Aung San Suu Kyi, and then rapping a load of silly misogynistic arse dribble about blow jobs and dicks at another gig.

I fully concede that I'm probably being far too sensitive and self-righteous, and creating a tantric shag out of a seedy hand-job, but I'd be curious to know what some of the more politically-active, campaigning U2 fans thought of Jay Z performing a song called 'Is That Yo Bitch?' to them.

(Nick, I wonder what Bronwyn would have thought ...)

Again, perhaps I'm way off here and nobody really gives a toss, in which case I'll shrug my shoulders, concede my mistaken assumption, and move along sheepishly, but I still suspect that some U2 fans may be surprised, and perhaps annoyed that Jay Z sang this song to them.

It's interesting that they silenced out the word 'dick' in the chorus, and that Jay Z and his mate mumble the words 'bitches' and 'dick' at other points in the song. Maybe they anticipated twats like me wondering if they're singing wholesome, politically-correct lyrics.

(Oh, and I'm avoiding claiming some fans would be offended or outraged, cos they're very strong words, and also because I'm actually not offended nor outraged, I'm just curious as to others U2 fans' reactions, if any.)

And then, I was also wondering that if some U2 fans don't like this type of song being performed to them, would they consequently be peed off about Bono big-upping Jay Z and hugging him. Praise for the ignorant. Again, perhaps I'm reading far, far too much into this. So feel free to slap me down and tell me to stop being so goddamn sanctimonious.

So that, in a nutshell, was the point. Riotous!

Actually the point wasn't even that general. If I had to summarise the point of the piece, well I couldn't. But a long-winded attempt to explain it would be something along the lines of:

etc

Well I got that, it fairly leaped off the page, but yes you're being sanctimonious. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't find it incongruent. He didn't write or even "dedicate" Is That Yo Chick to the release of Aung San Suu Kyi, not even remotely. I don't even think it was the same gig! :huh:

It's kindof like saying because Bono sings a song about world peace, he can't sing "going down on me" in UTEOTW. Maybe Jay's lyrics are a little more out there, but it's the same thing, different genre, different lyrical styles.

Not incongruous at all in this fan's estimation...but for someone who wasn't outraged, man you went off! ;)

It's all good - I quite enjoy your blog. This was a departure and seemed out of place stacked up against other great reviews. If you don't like Jay-Z, that's cool, just say so. But writing a piece that others might not detect to be satire which basically takes two separate shows and pieces them together to paint a somewhat inaccurate picture of when and where he said/performed different things, imo, is ok if we're expecting satire from you, but normally we aren't. :shrug:

/equallylongwindedcritique :wink:

Bono's little euphemistic word play for oral sex in UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways or One is nowhere near in the same context as Jay Z's blatantly shallow, ahem, straight up lyrics imo. Bono's non-literal references would pass many people by completely, and aren't actually the point of his lyrics. Jay Z's are flagrantly literal and are the point of that song.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Jay Z's music: like some of it, don't like some of it. He has written some great tunes, but I can't say I'm into this type of imbecilic lyrical groin-grabbing. But I don't think he's a great opening act for U2 tbh, didn't engage with enough fans (although not many support acts have to be fair).

Anyway, I'll climb down off this well-flogged horsey now!

Bono's little euphemistic word play for oral sex in UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways or One is nowhere near in the same context as Jay Z's blatantly shallow, ahem, straight up lyrics imo. Bono's non-literal references would pass many people by completely, and aren't actually the point of his lyrics. Jay Z's are flagrantly literal and are the point of that song.

Euphemistic vs straight up, just different ways of expressing something. My point is U2 performs some useless fluff/stuff that could be seen by more sensitive types as incongruent with other songs that "mean" a heck of a lot more. Heck, UTEOTW has been outright called offensive by some of the more hardline fundamentalists. But, we don't throw out the baby with the bath water, type of thing.

You're right - Jay's are literal, the point of the song - the song, which bears mentioning (again), has zero to do with as you put it, "Jay Z performs song for Aung San Suu Kyi."

I'm fairly ambivalent about Jay Z's music: like some of it, don't like some of it. He has written some great tunes, but I can't say I'm into this type of imbecilic lyrical groin-grabbing. But I don't think he's a great opening act for U2 tbh, didn't engage with enough fans (although not many support acts have to be fair).

Is That Yo Chick is not one of his best, to be sure. It's also dated and kindof old news now. I'm surprised he even played it. But like any act, U2 included, he performs the good and the not so good.

From the reports thus far, he engaged better than most of the openers have.

Back
Top Bottom