Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like we could get the result of the stuff Adam talked about on Rockonteurs quite soon then? You tease though Mikal!!!

Live shows? Or streamed? Or released on vinyl etc?

Looks like a new album and tour is a couple of years away then as predicted/assumed.

As for the new album, songs that came from the same session as Your Song Saved My Life? What a dispiriting thing to hear. If 'Saved My Life' is something they were proud to release, god knows what other treacly abominations they have up their sleeves.

It's a real struggle to be excited for any forthcoming U2 release. Unfortunately, they seem to be going down the Rod Stewart or Simple Minds route, releasing inconsequential sentimental guff that ends up in the bargain bins staring you in the face when you walk into Tesco, rather than the 'late career blossoming' that we saw from likes of Bowie or Springsteen.

Not really sure why we're shocked though - this has been 13 plus years in the making. This is a band who, after all, listened to My Humps and thought 'we need THIS guy to work on our new album'.

I don't know if we have the same definition of organic, but ATYCLB sounds sterile to me, with little air to breathe. It might not be overprocessed but it sounds small, cheap.

I'm not saying SOE is better, but I'd rather hear production similar to No Line, at least the stuff that Eno/Lanois produced on it.

I just listened to NLOTH this weekend and one thing that did stand out to me was being able to hear The Edge. Even a song like Stand Up, while not great overall, you could hear the damn guitar being played.

SOI/SOE is basically all Bono, especially SOE

I do think SOI has stood up better between the two. Better flow of songs even if SFS is just horrible and could have done without hearing it ever again.

As for the new album, songs that came from the same session as Your Song Saved My Life? What a dispiriting thing to hear. If 'Saved My Life' is something they were proud to release, god knows what other treacly abominations they have up their sleeves.

It's a real struggle to be excited for any forthcoming U2 release. Unfortunately, they seem to be going down the Rod Stewart or Simple Minds route, releasing inconsequential sentimental guff that ends up in the bargain bins staring you in the face when you walk into Tesco, rather than the 'late career blossoming' that we saw from likes of Bowie or Springsteen.

Not really sure why we're shocked though - this has been 13 plus years in the making. This is a band who, after all, listened to My Humps and thought 'we need THIS guy to work on our new album'.
Stand Up Comedy and Moment of Surrender came from the same sessions.

I suspect that song was written specifically for the movie. I guess it might have come out of something else, but I'm not worried that its a sign of things to come from the band. Its a song which fits the movie well (based on the trailer and the fact our family saw and enjoyed the original Sing movie) so we have to remember that writing for tv/movies is different.

Simple Minds did have a bit of a renaissance, but only after they embraced their earlier music again, playing it live and then they seemed rejuvenated. They did a few pretty damn good albums in a row but also toured some sets just with their early stuff.

Ironically, their Acoustic album and tour where they "reinvented" classic tracks acoustically were both well received and U2 appear to be doing that just now from what they've said.

A bummer that it was dropped from the set by the time we got the official video.

I wonder what the best quality video bootleg from that tour is, I don't think I've seen one aside from individual clips.

A bummer that it was dropped from the set by the time we got the official video.

I wonder what the best quality video bootleg from that tour is, I don't think I've seen one aside from individual clips.

Obligatory “they should release more pro-shot shows streaming for fanclub members” post.

Still wondering what became of the 360 video they shot at the NJ e+i show…

Sadly I believe the best video of Miami live is from Las Vegas. Miami was actually fairly well done at that show, but as with all the songs, it got better later. I would LOVE a full pro-shot version of Miami, was very disapointed that it was dropped before the Mexico shows.

Obligatory “they should release more pro-shot shows streaming for fanclub members” post.

Still wondering what became of the 360 video they shot at the NJ e+i show…

I read somewhere recently that the vibrations from the crowd messed with the 360 camera and it ended up being no good?

I read somewhere recently that the vibrations from the crowd messed with the 360 camera and it ended up being no good?

Would love to read that article. I think the one I was near was set on a mount to the floor rather than the stage so this would make sense.

Re-imagined catalog releases don't do anything for me, typically, but thoughtful rearrangements of songs that might not be obvious for a stripped down approach could be cool. Since they've alluded - ***paraphrasing here*** - that they don't consider albums without considering touring, it would not surprise me if an "reimagined" or "acoustic" greatest hits package would be for a run - or full tour - of stripped down theater shows.

Larry was always unsure why Pop was titled Pop when it wasn't very pop, but the full album transformation into Adele castoffs that they're working on will solve that mystery.

So new album info from Adam. They’re going to press ahead with this re-recorded songs project, and release a new album “in the next few years”.

(Agreed).

No other band I’m a fan of just goes dormant for YEARS like they do. And it’s not just because they’re old, they did it many times when they were young.

I think the smart money is on 2023 for a new album. And I have no interest in watered down re-recorded U2 songs at all. Not good news, as Adam usually is very straightforward about what they’re doing..

(Agreed).

No other band I’m a fan of just goes dormant for YEARS like they do. And it’s not just because they’re old, they did it many times when they were young.

I think the smart money is on 2023 for a new album. And I have no interest in watered down re-recorded U2 songs at all. Not good news, as Adam usually is very straightforward about what they’re doing..

2023 is waaaaay too early. They'll be occupied with other things. 2024 best case scenario.

I suspect that song was written specifically for the movie. I guess it might have come out of something else, but I'm not worried that its a sign of things to come from the band. Its a song which fits the movie well (based on the trailer and the fact our family saw and enjoyed the original Sing movie) so we have to remember that writing for tv/movies is different.

Simple Minds did have a bit of a renaissance, but only after they embraced their earlier music again, playing it live and then they seemed rejuvenated. They did a few pretty damn good albums in a row but also toured some sets just with their early stuff.

Ironically, their Acoustic album and tour where they "reinvented" classic tracks acoustically were both well received and U2 appear to be doing that just now from what they've said.

Well, the acoustic material from Simple Minds was rubbish imo. I was glad they put out an album with new music pretty quick after this acoustic chapter. Hope u2 won't follow the same route, altough the band seems lost nowadays. I hope they will create a new fresh album as soon as possible. After being a fan for almost 40 years I'm losing interest for this band.

Last edited:
Well, the acoustic material from Simple Minds was rubbish imo. I was glad they put out an album with new music pretty quick after this acoustic chapter. Hope u2 won't follow the same route, altough the band seems lost nowadays.

Fans commenting on U2's social media 30th Anniversary of Achtung Baby:

The greatest album in the history of rock
Life changing
Dark, beautiful, haunting, and light years ahead of its time
No album has moved me more deeply than this one
Absolute perfection

U2:

Let's do some acoustic ditties about love and happiness!

:|

I wonder if the re-recording is some effort at damage control, kind of like JT Tour post-iTunes, and best of 80-90 post-Pop.

That’s not all it is, I’m not that cynical, but success requires strategy.

It would be cool if they just started releasing EPs. We definitely don't need an entire album (or... probably a fucking double album knowing our luck) of acoustic renditions of catalog songs. A few, though? Sure I don't see why not.

They've never really embraced the EP format, but I think they could benefit by releasing less music more often.

Back
Top Bottom