Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My drive isn't there and I'm only 40

Frank can help you with that:

ERuvxodU8AECmiL.jpg

Yeah, the greatest/favorite/best is really hard to put a pin in.

I will say that as the years go on in the world of rock music, the less chance an album or group has to be influential.
Yes, The Beatles and Zeppelin and other 60 and 70's rock groups were definitely some of the most influential because it was the birth of modern rock and roll sound and production.

You could also say that it was MUCH easier to be part of the zeitgeist and culturally known and important in that time period as well. There were just a lot fewer bands, Albums were still statements. The 80's and 90's saw more bands, but the way people bought and listened remained much the same.
This was still pretty much until the 2000's, the internet and file sharing rose, when more, lesser known music started to become more accessible, songs started to become more of the way people ingested music and rock music started to wane.

As for influential. Sure The bands that DaveC mentions all left a wake behind them. But, so has U2. Engineers say the two most requested things they get from bands about their guitar sound is if they can get a sound like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or The Edge.

Just off the top of my head... Coldplay, Keane, Kings of Leon, Angels and Airwaves, Simple Minds, INXS, Band of Horses, Muse, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Tears for Fears, Big Country, Midnight Oil?, The killers, later Depeche Mode, Kanye, 30 Seconds to Mars, Foals, Modest Mouse, Interpol? The Alarm, Snow Patrol, The Hooters, Imagine Dragons, The Waterboys, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran both have said they were influenced by them, and probably dozens more that I would only remember if I hear them on the radio or something.

What I'm saying is, Musically they have altered the rock landscape in a way on par with some of the biggest rock legends, and Achtung Baby was a huge part of that.

After Ahimsa, that shit football song they did, and that shit kids film song they did - dud after dud after dud, it's looking pretty bleak I'd say.

With Adam's comments, it seems as if the well of inspiration has run well and truly dry.

There's literally no hope of a late career blossoming or revival anymore which is a great shame. But it'll never spoil the greatness of everything from 1980-2000, and the smattering of great tracks from the albums 2004 onwards.

If I was them, I would call a day. Don't do what REM did and just churn out uninspired albums - but the great worry I have is that, with the three recent songs mentioned above, it's far worse than anything from latter REM.

I beg to differ on that last comment. And remember, you're also comparing apples and oranges. You can't equate what a band puts out for Euro2021 that HAS to be some sort of feel-good thing with a collaborator you're put with. And then another one off for a kids animated movie that again, has to be kinda lovey dovey inspirational.

Literally no albums that U2 has put out post POP have been anywhere near as bad as REM's post Bill Berry albums.

it's unquestionably a great album. top 50 albums in the history of rock? sure. top 25? you could make a solid case.

but THE number one greatest album in the history of rock? achtung baby is greater than anything the beatles or the rolling stones ever put out, greater than dark side of the moon, wish you were here, and the wall, and greater than every single album ever made by the who, black sabbath, jimi hendrix, the doors, the stooges, guns n roses, prince, van halen, and queen? lmao

if anyone earnestly told me that they felt achtung baby was the greatest rock album of all time i'd honestly be wondering if they had actually listened to much rock at all other than U2.

for the record i'm separating "favourite" from "greatest". if achtung baby is your number one favourite album of all time, that's totally cool and you're entitled to that opinion. but stacking it up against the legends of rock and claiming that it is superior to all of them is daft. the verve is my favourite artist of all time but i'm not ever going to claim that a storm in heaven is somehow greater than are you experienced.

It might not be better than everything The Beatles put out, but the Stones? Yes. Pink Floyd? Yes. The rest of the artists you mentioned? Yes, but Prince's Sign O' The Times would give it a run for its money.

I'm not sure why people would be long time members on here if they didn't think U2 was one of the all-time best artists, so therefore U2's best album should very much be in the running to most of us. I think The Joshua Tree is better than any album from almost all of those artists, too. :shrug:

But again, I don't know how much you're focusing on the "rock" here vs. "rock & roll" or "pop/rock" or whatever. Achtung Baby might not "rock" as much as Appetite For Destruction, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, or Hendrix's three, but it's a better album in general.

Spin's 125 best albums of the last 25 years. (published 5 years ago)

1. U2, Achtung Baby
2. Prince, Sign O’ the Times
3. The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
4. Nirvana, Nevermind
5. Radiohead, OK Computer
6. Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
7. Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction
8. PJ Harvey, Rid of Me
9. Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted
10. Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral
11. The Replacements, Tim
12. OutKast, Stankonia
13. Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
14. Beastie Boys, Paul’s Boutique
15. Hüsker Dü, New Day Rising
16. Pixies, Doolittle
17. De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising
18. The Strokes, Is This It
19. Jay-Z, The Blueprint
20. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
21. Oasis, (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
22. Eric B. & Rakim, Paid in Full
23. Daft Punk, Discovery
24. Metallica, Master of Puppets
25. Nas, Illmatic
26. Guided by Voices, Bee Thousand
27. Nirvana, In Utero
28. Radiohead, The Bends
29. Pavement, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
30. A Tribe Called Quest, The Low End Theory
31. Massive Attack, Blue Lines
32. Wu-Tang Clan, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
33. Björk, Debut
34. Beck, Odelay
35. R.E.M., Automatic for the People
36. The Jesus and Mary Chain, Psychocandy
37. Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville
38. Run-D.M.C., Raising Hell
39. Public Enemy, Fear of a Black Planet
40. Tricky, Maxinquaye
41. Pulp, Different Class
42. Green Day, Dookie
43. The Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die
44. The Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill
45. Pixies, Surfer Rosa
46. N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton
47. Portishead, Dummy
48. Elliott Smith, Either/Or
49. D’Angelo, Voodoo
50. Jay-Z, Reasonable Doubt
51. Rage Against the Machine, The Battle of Los Angeles
52. Kanye West, The College Dropout
53. The Cure, The Head on the Door
54. Dinosaur Jr, You’re Living All Over Me
55. Hole, Live Through This
56. Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works 85-92
57. The White Stripes, Elephant
58. DJ Shadow, Endtroducing…
59. Belle and Sebastian, If You’re Feeling Sinister
60. Fugazi, 13 Songs
61. Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream
62. U2, The Joshua Tree
63. R.E.M., Fables Of The Reconstruction
64. The Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin
65. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
66. Arcade Fire, Funeral
67. Tom Waits, Rain Dogs
68. Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
69. The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses
70. Pearl Jam, Ten
71. Oasis, Definitely Maybe
72. Lucinda Williams, Lucinda Williams
73. The Pogues, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
74. Sleater-Kinney, Dig Me Out
75. Bjork, Post
76. OutKast, Aquemini
77. Boogie Down Productions, Criminal Minded
78. Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
79. The Breeders, Last Splash
80. The Fall, This Nation’s Saving Grace
81. Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
82. Dr. Dre, The Chronic
83. Steve Earle, Guitar Town
84. LL Cool J, Radio
85. Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly
86. TV on the Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain
87. The White Stripes, White Blood Cells
88. Jeff Buckley, Grace
89. Basement Jaxx, Remedy
90. Elliott Smith, XO
91. The Smiths, Strangeways, Here We Come
92. Jay-Z, The Black Album
93. The Chemical Brothers, Dig Your Own Hole
94. Jane’s Addiction, Ritual de lo Habitual
95. Soundgarden, Superunknown
96. The Roots, Things Fall Apart
97. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
98. Johnny Cash, American Recordings
99. PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
100. Kanye West, Late Registration
101. Blur, Parklife
102. Queen Latifah, All Hail the Queen
103. M.I.A., Arular
104. The Magnetic Fields, 69 Love Songs
105. Massive Attack, Mezzanine
106. Fiona Apple, When the Pawn…
107. Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head
108. Fugees, The Score
109. The Chills, Submarine Bells
110. Spiritualized, Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
111. Teenage Fanclub, Bandwagonesque
112. Interpol, Turn On The Bright Lights
113. Danger Mouse, The Grey Album
114. Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavilion
115. OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
116. Against Me!, New Wave
117. The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
118. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It’s Blitz!
119. Green Day, American Idiot
120. Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
121. Queens of the Stone Age, Rated R
122. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver
123. The Hives, Veni Vidi Vicious
124. Prince Paul, A Prince Among Thieves
125. Moby, Play

Gotta say, I don't agree with their REM choices, but Achtung. Yes, at its rightful position. I would also put Joshua Tree up in the top 10, but I may be biased.

Last edited:

62. U2, The Joshua Tree

5 years ago was 2016.
So 25 year period should be 1991-2016. Perhaps it covered 1990-2015.
Either way, Joshua Tree came out in 1987...

36113588.jpg

Also Fables was 85, even fuzzier and I imagine a few others on the list (didn't examine it super closely)

5 years ago was 2016.
So 25 year period should be 1991-2016. Perhaps it covered 1990-2015.
Either way, Joshua Tree came out in 1987...

36113588.jpg

Also Fables was 85, even fuzzier and I imagine a few others on the list (didn't examine it super closely)

Sorry, published in 2010. Article must have been updated in 2016, they mentioned Achtung's 25th anniversary.

It might not be better than everything The Beatles put out, but the Stones? Yes. Pink Floyd? Yes. The rest of the artists you mentioned? Yes, but Prince's Sign O' The Times would give it a run for its money.

I'm not sure why people would be long time members on here if they didn't think U2 was one of the all-time best artists, so therefore U2's best album should very much be in the running to most of us. I think The Joshua Tree is better than any album from almost all of those artists, too. :shrug:

But again, I don't know how much you're focusing on the "rock" here vs. "rock & roll" or "pop/rock" or whatever. Achtung Baby might not "rock" as much as Appetite For Destruction, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, or Hendrix's three, but it's a better album in general.

Yeah, I think there is definitely a reverence bias when it comes to "the classics". Is it deserved in many respects? Yes, breaking new ground should be respected. But many times it isn't better, it was just new and different at the time. Definitely applicable to The Beatles, Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen.

IMO, AC/DC and Van Halen while influential, are empty shells with no emotion and lyrically void.

And what's missing from almost all of these bands is - change, transformation. The Beatles yes. From I Wanna Hold Your Hand to Strawberry Fields. But the rest... It was one note from beginning to end.
That's the one piece that I think makes U2 stand out above so many others. From Boy/Oct./WAR, then shifted to UF/JT/R&H, Then AB/Zoo/POP Then All That/Bomb Then No Line. Then SOI SOE

It's been both a blessing and a curse. They never really fit in with any period. They always were kind of on the outside. And it has both kept them alive, but also kept them from being seen as this one thing that is so easy to label like, Pink Floyd, GNR, AC/DC, Van Halen, Zep, The Clash, Nirvana, The Smiths

I think in this way, I view them more like Bowie.

Last edited:
I believe lately I have been "Glorifying the past when the future dries up" with U2. I pretty much didn't listen to U2 at all in 2020 or 2021, for whatever reason. Now that I know there is nothing on the horizon, I've really been going back and listening to the older albums in a way I haven't for a long time.

I have been connecting hardcore with UF recently. I almost forgot the subtle beauty of Promenade, the menace of Wire, or the rambling tranquility of EP&A.

Yesterday I listened to HTDAAB in whole for the first time in years, and was overwhelmed with nostalgia. I'm not usually nostalgic for that album. But I remember it like yesterday, the week of Thanksgiving 2004. SNL appearance. Hearing reports on the radio about U2 driving around NYC playing mini concerts on a flatbed truck. Going to Walmart with my friends at midnight to buy the album, and listening to it all night long... that was one hell of a week! Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic because once again it's Thanksgiving week, but I am really enjoying HTDAAB in a way I haven't for years.

The 30th anniversary of AB hasn't escaped me either. It may not be the greatest rock album of all time. But for me... it is tied for my favorite album of all time with Tom Petty's "Wildflowers". AB is just such a big part of my life. I could listen to it over and over and never get bored with it.

After Adam's comments, the future of U2 looks pretty bleak to me. Glorify the past when the future dries up... and what a past it was!!

I really enjoyed this post. :up::up:

I became a fan with the 2002 Super Bowl performance and became a diehard when HTDAAB came out. I have the exact same memories you do of this very week in 2004. I was a senior in High School, life was pretty good and everyone seemed to be into U2 at the same time I was becoming a fan. We had HTDAAB on continuous loop in my Mom's car- and I'll always remember running around doing errands, going to eat, visiting colleges all over New England, etc, etc.

I also remember one of the late night TV performances (not SNL) really made my Dad, who is no longer with us, a fan. He enjoyed the big 80s hits, like almost anyone, but had his favorites and was openly critical of how much my Mom and Aunt were devoted to U2. The guy who was never hooked by Streets or New Year's Day was an instant big fan with Vertigo. Go figure! He loved the guitar. Then I remember him being blown away watching the Chicago DVD- I think it brought things full circle for him with the back catalog. Of course, my first show was also on the Vertigo tour.

I don't go back to the album a lot, but when I do, I get an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. I'm transported right back there and there's really not a thing I'd change.

I'm kind of resigned to whatever they release next, too. I don't feel they owe me anything, and I think the criticism of all things post 2000 U2 here and elsewhere is greatly overdone.

Like most fans, I don't want to see uninspired acoustic re works of the back catalog. I also don't want to see more American Souls or Get Out's, etc.

What I would like to see, if they're looking for relevance, is them look at what has gotten them the most positive attention the last few years: The JT anniversary shows. That was literally the first time they did a tour that actually leaned into the whole "we have a back catalog, shut up unless you got a better one" concept.

I'll never forget my first JT 2017 show in LA- obviously not a place known for enthusiastic crowds. People were very subdued through the Lumineers and there was no energy building as the pre show playlist went on and the sun set. In Boston, that means the arrival of the band is imminent and the energy just swells up with each passing minute. I was even more concerned when no one stood up at the end of "Rainy Night in Soho" or gave Larry more than a polite round of applause. Then BOOM.......the second he started SBS, the entire Rose Bowl shot to their feet in unison and let out an unbelievable roar! That energy kept right up through Bullet! Sometimes even the most diehard of fans like myself need to be reminded what these songs truly do to people and how amazingly well loved they are.

I would like them to do arenas- college and pro- don't be afraid to go smaller like Providence or South Bend- and just play their SONGS. When the tour hits the big U2 fan centers (LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Miami, Montreal), stay a while like they did on I&E! Only this time, fill the arena demand, then pick a theatre or other smaller venue (like the Orpheum or the new MGM Fenway in Boston, the Roxy in LA or the Apollo in Harlem) and do the kind of early day homage shows that have been so successful anytime they've been done. Throw in a strings/orchestra show here and there, too in certain cities.

Have a one off or 2 or an EP maybe, but make 20-22 songs of the 24 be back catalog songs. No theme- just celebrating being back out there after COVID. Keep it simple, have an I&E like screen and E stage concept.

Have a new, innovative thing or two and use it sparingly, that's fine. They can do that with lights, projected images, screen resolution, we all get the idea. But overall, play the songs and remind people just who they are.

Start when they're ready- hopefully 2023. They would absolutely crush it- shows and reviews- and would probably find they enjoy it more than they thought they would.

Then hopefully they can put out a truly inspired album and have last big tour or two.

Last edited:
I agree, they should just go out and tour without any agenda or theme. Just because they can again. Just be U2 on a stage playing U2 songs.

I think it's maybe time U2 start doing what the Rolling Stones have been doing the past decade. Take maybe 2 months out of each year and tour once specific region. One year focus on North America, then the next Europe, then the next Australia/Asia etc, then the next do North American again, etc. Of course 75% of the show would have to be hits. But play something like Dirty Day just because it's a good U2 song, without having to have some stupid theme about the band members and their fathers. Throw in a few new songs, if any, but don't make the new albums the main point of the tour... most people don't care anymore.

Either that, or quit touring altogether and just focus on making interesting music and release something more often. But we all know that won't happen.

Basically. either path would be better than whatever the fuck they're doing right now. Reworking old songs? No fucking thank you.

Last edited:
When Adam first mentioned the acoustic stuff on the podcast, I think it came across as being something fun they were just trying to maybe get back in to playing together and stuff after a break. I didn't for one minute think it was a "project" or something for a release. Is it even a release I'd really want?

I've been saying for a while that I think they should do a series of EPs. Make them on a theme, or just record a few tracks and release them, don't overthink it.

But then Adam was saying that for them, new music without being able to tour it doesn't have any great appeal which I kind of found disappointing.

And their age.... Again, I know they're multimillionaires who have literally achieved everything they could ever have dreamed-of, but surely they want to get more music out there in the time they have left, especially after what's happened to Bono in recent years?

Can someone within their camp please tell this band that they are not an acoustic act and their fans don’t want acoustic songs of old material?

Can someone within their camp please tell this band that they are not an acoustic act and their fans don’t want acoustic songs of old material?

Exactly. Musically, the things that made them a unique band were Edge's styles and sounds that he made with an ELECTRIC guitar, combined with Adam and Larry being a great rhythm section. Not saying they can't ever use a piano or an acoustic guitar, but they seem to be running away from the very things that make them a great band. NOBODY wants to hear U2 playing acoustic versions of their songs. I know that in the 90's it was kind of a phase a lot of bands and fans went through with MTV unplugged. But ultimately it just ended up sounding like neutered versions of songs, with U2 included.

I tolerate the occasional acoustic B&E song because I know it's an excuse to give Larry a break from playing drums. But I would prefer a full band version of Stay, SATS, GBHF, etc EVERY TIME.

Absolutely!

The model you suggest with the Stones is obviously something that has brought them and a handful of other established acts success and kept them widely loved and most importantly, respected with a hint of relevance.

The acoustic re workings, etc, etc, are most certainly signs it’s time for a shift in the way we do things if they’re that out of ideas.

I agree. We aren’t going to see material released continuously for the hell of it- no album or tour to promote . Or movie soundtrack to participate in. So eventually, they’ll be looking to go out with another big album/tour cycle like they’ve been doing forever.

They’re obviously nowhere near an album yet, so the best thing is to GET OUT THERE and remind people they’re U2!

Give it a year, and they'll be releasing a Christmas album with Michael Buble.

Bono singing a 'swing' cover version of Deck The Halls, accompanied by a video with the man himself dressed as Santa Claus sneaking into The Edge's house and giving him a new guitar to 'rock out' with.

I mean, given that Guy Oseary is their manager, and seeing their evolution into some housewives favourite act, it isn't beyond possibility.

1. U2, Achtung Baby
2. Prince, Sign O’ the Times
3. The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
4. Nirvana, Nevermind
5. Radiohead, OK Computer

Gotta say, I don't agree with their REM choices, but Achtung. Yes, at its rightful position. I would also put Joshua Tree up in the top 10, but I may be biased.

I'm actually fairly astonished that they'd put them not only that high but at the very top.

I'm actually fairly astonished that they'd put them not only that high but at the very top.

It’s correct though.

The only album of the 1990s that’s comparable in critical and commercial success to AB is either OK Computer or Automatic for the People.

No band ever pulled off a greater transition from unironic mildly annoying stomping mystical bards to super ironic postmodern Teflon rock stars than U2 from 1988 to 1992.

AB still sounds modern — it could be released today. “One” is the final word on stadium balladry — all other comers (Fake Plastic Trees, The Scientist) are an attempt to match its effortless majesty. Then there’s the journey of UTEOTW, the only-realized-27-years-later colossalness of WGRYWH. The Fly. No other stadium band can ride a groove like MW. It goes on and on and on. There are no weak tracks.

It’s just a preposterously good album top to bottom and my all-time favorite.

Last edited:
It’s correct though.

The only album of the 1990s that’s comparable in critical and commercial success to AB is either OK Computer or Automatic for the People.

No band ever pulled off a greater transition from unironic mildly annoying stomping mystical bards to super ironic postmodern Teflon rock stars than U2 from 1988 to 1992.

AB still sounds modern — it could be released today. “One” is the final word on stadium balladry — all other comers (Fake Plastic Trees, The Scientist) are an attempt to match its effortless majesty. Then there’s the journey of UTEOTW, the only-realized-27-years-later colossalness of WGRYWH. The Fly. No other stadium band can ride a groove like MW. It goes on and on and on. There are no weak tracks.

[as I listen to AB itself] No I near-completely agree, I'm just surprised SPIN does, or did.

--Did you write the capsule review for that list? (Heh heh hehhhhhhhhh..)

It’s correct though.

I gave the album a spin last night while cooking and it’s amazing how great it is, still is.

The album has everything. When the solo kicks in for UEOTW, it was like a jolt to hear Edge sound like a rock god. Even tho I’ve heard the solo and song a billion times.

The groove to MW , and the almost talking heads influence Lift my Days, Light up my Nights!

The album oozes what has been missing for a long time and it’s a confidence / sexiness.

It flows wonderfully and lastly not having Bono do high in the mix really makes it feel like a band performance vs a solo artist which is what a lot of the later albums have become (especially SOE)

That’s where a Brian, Danny, or Flood would reel that back in on the production

i consider The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to be perfect albums - in the same way that I'd consider an Abbey Road or Born To Run (among others) to be perfect albums. There isn't a single instant skip on the entire album and is a terrific front to back listen.

In what order you want to place these perfect albums, i do not care.

i consider The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to be perfect albums - in the same way that I'd consider an Abbey Road or Born To Run (among others) to be perfect albums. There isn't a single instant skip on the entire album and is a terrific front to back listen.

In what order you want to place these perfect albums, i do not care.

In what order should we place those two posts? :wink:

As for Abbey Road being perfect, I’m not saying I skip Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, but it takes all of my willpower not to. And to think the band had to suffer through playing it back during the Let It Be sessions as well. No wonder George (and John) quit.

In what order should we place those two posts? :wink:

As for Abbey Road being perfect, I’m not saying I skip Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, but it takes all of my willpower not to. And to think the band had to suffer through playing it back during the Let It Be sessions as well. No wonder George (and John) quit.

ahhh i like the lightness to it. 2-3-4 are definitely the "low" part of the album, but yea - nothing of the "ugh skip this shit" level, for me at least.

and god damn double post bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom