New Music Rumors and Such, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you already know that these will be the changes. U2 doesn't vary the setlist.

I'm already a little bit saddened that we've basically gotten the same show that's on the Rose Bowl dvd. yes there have been some new songs, and a couple of switches. But for the most part it's the exact same show.

that's fine but i was kind of hoping since they had so much time off, they could have really mixed it up a bit.

As for the new album/EP, i'll believe it when it's physically released. I do trust Adam more than Edge/Bono, but they keep talking about all these songs and we never see proof.

You shut mouf! :angry:

:sexywink:

Seriously, as U2 have dropped a fair number of NLOTH songs from the current setlist, this show is no longer essentially what is on the DVD. So... :scratch:

That said, I too hoped for a few more changes to the setlist. I'm disappointed to see some great NLOTH songs removed. I like GOYB live, but I might have booted that and kept on NLOTH, "Magnificent" and "Breathe". Those are three great songs that should not have disappeared. However, I do not mind the disappearance of "Unknown Caller". I hope U2 continue to experiment with the setlist. I would like to hear "Stand Up Comedy".

In terms of catalog songs, some staples must remain. My sister proved why - she saw U2 for the first time last year and while she loved lots of the show, she couldn't wait for WOWY.

As for other catalog songs, I think you'd get too many differing opinions. I love the return of "Miss Sarajevo", for example, but others want it gone. I'd love to see "Fast Cars" and perhaps some rocking, but lesser known songs from the 80's. Heck, even a full band "Desire" would be fun as that's mostly done as an acoustic song these days.

So we take what we get. I'm glad to see new songs. :yes:

Besides, U2 may change again with their return to the U.S. or as they visit other parts of the world.

3 new songs and two more added to the setlist, that's not bad for 3 shows into this tour leg.

I didn't mind seeing Miss Sarajevo during the Vertigo tour because it was a welcome curveball, but outside of Bono's opera part it's a bit of a slog, not nearly engaging (or well-known) enough to keep in the set on a nightly basis. I think it's ridiculous that a superior obscure track like Your Blue Room was dropped so quickly only to bring this back.

I didn't mind seeing Miss Sarajevo during the Vertigo tour because it was a welcome curveball, but outside of Bono's opera part it's a bit of a slog, not nearly engaging (or well-known) enough to keep in the set on a nightly basis. I think it's ridiculous that a superior obscure track like Your Blue Room was dropped so quickly only to bring this back.

Your Blue Room. A superior track? Stated as fact? What an idiot.

"Stated as fact" is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't read it like that, and I certainly don't agree with him about the two tracks.

:shrug:

This year > last year for one reason only: Return of the Stingray Guitar. I miss NLOTH, I miss UV, but man, that intro is the greatest intro they've ever done

I think a slower feed might have worked. Let MoS slip out there early so talk around the album is positive, then release NLOTH as the official first single, but let it stand on it's own. It's a great song, but not a 'big' song. The one-two punch of those two would be really interesting. Says something interesting about the album. Then release Magnificent fairly soon after, and make it the 'hype' single (i.e. make it the one they tour around the tv shows, award shows etc). Follow it with Breathe I suppose. Maybe a hybrid version of Crazy. The remix is cool live, but not good enough as a stand alone song. The album version is, to me, unbelievably boring. One breaking out into the other might have been kinda cool though.

I like this. Market my next album? :wink:

My sister proved why - she saw U2 for the first time last year and while she loved lots of the show, she couldn't wait for WOWY.

My sister and her kids saw them for the first time last year as well, in Norman. I cant imagine what that show would have been like if they didnt play Streets, WOWY, One, BD, SBS, etc..

Sometimes we forget that just because some of us have seen the band 50 times or whatever, others haven't.

well, than i'm an idiot as well. Your Blue Room is one of their best efforts of the mid 90's and shouldn't have even been a b-side or lost track on an obscure side-project.

That said, guess they dropped it from the live set because it didn't work well live (from what I've heard, the performance didn't do right to the song) and lot's of people don't know the song. In a small venue with 500 die-hard fans that song could work, in a stadium with 50.000 people attending it's the toiletbreak for most people.

I was at Torino last weekend and people went nuts when they heard Miss Sarajevo's first noted. They wouldnt have done that with Your Blue Room, unfortunately.
The same would have happened with Drowning Man if they would have put that song in the set in 2009 (they rehearsed it in Barcelona).

My sister and her kids saw them for the first time last year as well, in Norman. I cant imagine what that show would have been like if they didnt play Streets, WOWY, One, BD, SBS, etc..

Sometimes we forget that just because some of us have seen the band 50 times or whatever, others haven't.
I still think that if I want to listen to hits of an artist, I turn on the radio or I buy a hits compilation. I really don't mind to go to a well-known-band show and not to listen to the big classic hits. I'm there for the spectacle, for the music, for the show. Not bored there standing unpatiently for the hits.

A U2 good will always be awesome and spectacular even for the casual fan (if that casual fan likes music and not mere hits) with or without "With Or Without You".

Here is my guess on the North Star lyrics. A lot of guess work.

Forty-five light years
From home
is where you are
and where I want to be
Beside you now
Looking for direction
stars are your reflection
through the space between you and me
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait any longer
For it
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
to be seen ??? (falsetto part)
birds still singing for their rent ???
They fly above the government
It’s not a song of discontent
I've money now it's me that's spent ???
Here I am, a space cowboy
Looking out for love and logic
In the universe
yeah yeah
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait any longer
For it
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
to be seen ???
And the day packs it in
And you watch as the sun goes down
Pray that the night Will come quickly
You hope – You pray
that the clouds leave the sky alone
There’s only one light that can guide you
Guide you home, home
I can’t wait any longer
I can’t wait any longer For your love
I can’t wait any longer For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
For your love
For your love
It’s not the circles that you saw ????
While the lights were barely shining
You want it
You got it
You take a lot of love in me inside????

Just look at the disparity in numbers, these numbers are Nielsen soundscan (U.S.)

Top 10 selling albums in the U.S. for 2009
1. Fearless / Taylor Swift ~ 3,217,000
2. I Dreamed a Dream / Susan Boyle ~ 3,104,000
3. Number Ones / Michael Jackson ~ 2,355,000
4. The Fame / Lady Gaga ~ 2,238,000
5. My Christmas / Andrea Bocelli ~ 2,207,000
6. Hannah Montana: The Movie (soundtrack) / Hannah Montana ~ 1,823,000
7. The E.N.D. / Black Eyed Peas ~ 1,787,000
8. Relapse / Eminem ~ 1,735,000
9. The Blueprint 3 / Jay-Z ~ 1,515,000
10. Only by the Night / Kings of Leon ~ 1,398,000

Top 10 selling albums in the U.S. for 2000
1. No Strings Attached / 'N Sync ~ 9,936,104
2. The Marshall Mathers LP / Eminem ~ 7,921,107
3. Oops!... I Did It Again / Britney Spears ~ 7,893,544
4. Human Clay / Creed ~ 6,587,834
5. Supernatural / Santana ~ 5,857,824
6. 1 / The Beatles ~ 5,068,300
7. Country Grammar / Nelly ~ 5,067,529
8. Black & Blue / Backstreet Boys ~ 4,289,865
9. 2001 / Dr. Dre ~ 3,992,311
10. The Writing's on the Wall / Destiny's Child ~ 3,802,165
Taken from here: Best-selling albums in the United States since Nielsen SoundScan tracking began - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's only the U.S., I'm just using it as a gauge for how badly sales have tanked across the board.

Sales shouldn't matter, you'd hope, but even more than ever you'd hope that U2 would wake up and smell the coffee. What's most important is to get that shit to go VIRAL. Make a song but especially a video that truly catches people's attention. Can something as huge as U2 go viral? I don't know, I'm just throwing shit out there.

I think visually they need to blow up this stereotypical style that they've had since 2000. Bono is a parody of himself. That's not an insult, it's just true. It shouldn't matter either but it does.

It's already hijacked. We're bitching about the setlist in the new music thread, right?

Meh, open in that it's multiple iterations of the same recycled arguments

I think the transcriptions are more on topic, personally. Setlist bitching goes here:

Set Lists & Songs - U2 Feedback

New music discussion stays in this thread. And yes, that includes proposed lyrics, although, to be pedantic, those should remain in It's A Musical Journey.

Be pedantic, be pedantic!

Since the band has stated they're going to play new material during this tour (and already have), discussing the setlists is part of that. And within the last couple days we've been talking about different ways of marketing and organizing their future output.

As I said, the conversation is an open one that's free-flowing, and I think potential lyrics of a song are too specific to be part of it. I can't believe there's not already a thread for it, considering we have "Yay or Nay?" "Which new song do you like better?" and all that crap.

Just look at the disparity in numbers, these numbers are Nielsen soundscan (U.S.)

Top 10 selling albums in the U.S. for 2009
1. Fearless / Taylor Swift ~ 3,217,000
2. I Dreamed a Dream / Susan Boyle ~ 3,104,000
3. Number Ones / Michael Jackson ~ 2,355,000
4. The Fame / Lady Gaga ~ 2,238,000
5. My Christmas / Andrea Bocelli ~ 2,207,000
6. Hannah Montana: The Movie (soundtrack) / Hannah Montana ~ 1,823,000
7. The E.N.D. / Black Eyed Peas ~ 1,787,000
8. Relapse / Eminem ~ 1,735,000
9. The Blueprint 3 / Jay-Z ~ 1,515,000
10. Only by the Night / Kings of Leon ~ 1,398,000

:combust::combust::combust:

Yeah, so, anyway....

Willie's tour diary has a mention of him trying to convince the band to play Mercy.

The way it is written makes me think that they have been working on it recently, and are capable of playing it (IE it's rehearsed thoroughly)...

Fuel to the fire

The way it is written makes me think that they have been working on it recently, and are capable of playing it (IE it's rehearsed thoroughly)...

Huh, I hadn't thought about it that way. I don't know if it means that it's "thoroughly" rehearsed, but at the very least it does imply to me that it's still in the forefront of things they're working on. :hmm:

Yeah, so, anyway....

Willie's tour diary has a mention of him trying to convince the band to play Mercy.

Fuel to the fire

Holy. Fucking. Mackerel.

At least there's someone in the entourage who realizes what an important track this is.

Could save the tour, and their careers. This song was meant to take a stadium audience into the stratosphere.

Yeah, so, anyway....

Fuel to the fire

You can't have a U2 album hype cycle without Mercy speculation.
...And I wouldn't have it any other way. Mercy live = :drool::drool::drool:.

(At this rate, they'll be soundchecking Acrobat in a week.)

Holy. Fucking. Mackerel.

At least there's someone in the entourage who realizes what an important track this is.

Could save the tour, and their careers. This song was meant to take a stadium audience into the stratosphere.

More NLOTH would save the tour, more likely.

Or bring on that EP Adam talked about...

1. Stingray
2. Glastonbury
3. North Star
4. Mercy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom