For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
p7160075be4.jpg

p7160086jt3.jpg

p7160087fx3.jpg

p7160088ad4.jpg

p7160089ly4.jpg

p7160095rt2.jpg

Ok, now here we're going to take a break from the strays - these are pictures of my great-aunt's(mother's aunt) cats in Bodrum...

p7190123xk0.jpg

p7190124xq8.jpg

p7220003jk3.jpg

Back to the strays...

p7250006kx5.jpg

My grandmother has a summer house in a little village called Agva just a few hours outside of Istanbul. So we spent a week there, and there was this stray cat that lived in a hole at the end of the driveway. The morning after we got there, we were woken up by her sitting outside the house meowing over and over again. She meowed all morning long and we couldn't figure out why. For a while, we thought she was in heat. But then, a bit later, I was walking around the house, and I found two tiny little kittens(couldn't have been more than a few days old) stumbling around the living room. That's when it clicked. The cat was the mother, she had come through the living room window during the night and left her kittens there, and then she came back in the morning to get them, but the window had been closed, and she was frantic to get her babies back. We gave her her kittens, and she calmed down. We got some pictures of her letting them feed on her. But then, she attempted to lead them back to the hole where she lived, and something spooked her, so she grabbed one of the kittens in her mouth and left(at the time we didn't know about the hole, we thought she just disappeared), leaving the other kitten behind. Not knowing about the hole, we couldn't find the mother, and we didn't think the kitten would survive outside alone, so we took her inside and let her sleep on a bed for the rest of the day, and the mother came back for her that night, and we gave her back. For the rest of the week, we befriended the mother cat, fed her, gave her more food than she had probably ever had on a consistant basis, and pet her a lot when she came around. So, that's the backstory. Here are the pictures...

p8020057uq9.jpg

p8020058tl1.jpg

p8020060mo5.jpg

p8020059rn7.jpg

p8020061il3.jpg

p8020062tg8.jpg

p8020063pp1.jpg

p8020064mb4.jpg

p8020065il9.jpg

p8020066qu7.jpg

These next few are of the kitten that got left behind that I referred to earlier, when she was first sitting on my dad's lap, and then sleeping on a bed for the rest of the day. After that, it's some shots of the mother cat.

p8020067bb2.jpg

p8020069vj2.jpg

p8020070nk9.jpg

p8020071pt8.jpg

p8020073ci1.jpg

p8040016uh5.jpg

p8040018os4.jpg

p8040019wv1.jpg

p8050021jq4.jpg

p8050022wa7.jpg

What sweet babies. God that just breaks my heart. I cant believe how many strays there. Obviously they dont exersize spay and neutering in Turkey :(

This settles it. I'n never moving to Turkey. I'm like a stray cat magnet -- can you imagine how many cats I'd have there? :ohmy:

music.u2 said:
^I know I'd be the same! Awk poor cats.. the more strays there are the less likely that they'll all survive :sad:

Very true. Some looked pretty good, but a few looked in poor shape. :(

How is your kitty doing? I've been thinking of you.

I'm surprised I don't see more strays here. There used to be four or five that lived in the churchyard behind our old flat, but I never see any where we live now, just people's pets. I think it may be a battle getting any cat(s) we get spayed or neutered unless we adopt them after the fact. :slant:

indra said:

Very true. Some looked pretty good, but a few looked in poor shape. :(

How is your kitty doing? I've been thinking of you.

If I may answer in my sister's place....Tiny seems to be doing fine now...hell of a lot better, and by the end of this week she will be getting her inoculation's...but we think she's all good now!

Speaking of strays we have 6 in our garden:wink: Two litters of cats that were brought to us by the two mummy cats we fed...Tiny came from the first litter. We got them all spayed and neutered and we continue to feed them...Tiny's brother Nemo will hopefully turn fully to our side soon...he does come in and will let you pet him...doesn't like to be crowded though and will be spooked if he doesn't have a clear escape route.

I don't think there are any more strays in the neighbourhood, plenty of other people's pet cats though...they cause more trouble than our strays....the strays keep very much to themselves.

meegannie said:
I think it may be a battle getting any cat(s) we get spayed or neutered unless we adopt them after the fact. :slant:

Why is that? I don't know of any benefits of leaving pet cats intact.

I agree. I think it should be a law. There are far too many unwanted cats/kittens in the world.

...and so many organizations that will do it for free or low cost! We do it for TWO dollars, that's it!

Also, in some areas, feral cats have had a significant impact on native wildlife. Not cool.

I guess they just dont have those kinds of organizations there. It's truly sad.

Yeah... its so so sad seeing all those strays..

Hawaii has (or had) a pretty bad problem with too many strays. I remember living there from 98' to 2002 and whenever I went to Pearlridge Mall there was a sewer drain area that you could see from a certain vantage point at the mall. And I remember seeing tons of strays living down there.. IT WAS AWEFUL!:sad:

LJT said:

If I may answer in my sister's place....Tiny seems to be doing fine now...hell of a lot better, and by the end of this week she will be getting her inoculation's...but we think she's all good now!

Speaking of strays we have 6 in our garden:wink: Two litters of cats that were brought to us by the two mummy cats we fed...Tiny came from the first litter. We got them all spayed and neutered and we continue to feed them...Tiny's brother Nemo will hopefully turn fully to our side soon...he does come in and will let you pet him...doesn't like to be crowded though and will be spooked if he doesn't have a clear escape route.

I don't think there are any more strays in the neighbourhood, plenty of other people's pet cats though...they cause more trouble than our strays....the strays keep very much to themselves.

Oh I'm so pleased to hear this! I was really worried about her. :)

All my cats are strays (and I have a couple more who come around every day for food and attention) and some are still very wary even years after becoming an "official" member of my household. I still love them all though. :)

Where we used to live before we bought a house last year, several neighborhood cats came up to visit from time to time. We lived on the second floor of an old house, and the cats (some had homes, but not all of them) knew they could get a kind word, some food, and maybe some catnip at the top of those stairs. We got pictures of some of them, but not all; and I do miss them. This first one, we found a home for!

Pixie011406.jpg

Nip2.jpg

Boots2.jpg

This one was our favorite; we called him "Scruffy."

Scruffy5.jpg

is it true the cats have ever suffocated infants by lying on top of them, or is that an old wive's tale?

dbs

diamond said:
is it true the cats have ever suffocated infants by lying on top of them, or is that an old wive's tale?

dbs

never heard of that one.. :eyebrow: Sounds like an old wive's tale. Most cats I know stay the hell away from infants/kids..

Babydoll said:
^ i agree, most cats I know stay away too!

I don't blame them. :shifty:

to this day, my cat totally resents my son for coming along. She always has this look of distaste and "i was here first". She barely tolerates him and runs everytime he comes round.. Talking about holding a grudge... :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom