Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard the acoustic sessions version of EBW the radio today. They've been playing it every couple of hours.

u2radio.jpg

I heard the acoustic sessions version of EBW the radio today. They've been playing it every couple of hours.

u2radio.jpg

U2 is actually blowing up to an extent on Alternative radio stations. I believe this is directly a result of their participation in the Kroq event (Womanfish originally said this)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Where is the single? I mean the studioversion with the video?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

I am not questioning or judging anyone who likes that version from 60 Minutes Australia.

But, let's be honest. Bono starts out strong vocally ... and deteriorates rapidly.

I am a huge U2 fan. One thing I love about them is their imperfections.

But, magestic or breathtaking performances have to be doled out with discretion.

Yes, he is in mid 50s. But, the danger in acoustic is ... Bono's age is all the more exposed.

Regardless of that ... album version is infinitely better than acoustic.

Looks like the in-studio 60 minutes performance is being released as an official video from Island Records. They cut out the reaction shots of the host and properly mixed the string section, and you know what..It's such a great performance..I'm fine with this being the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukyqbZOR5Bc

The mix on this video is great, suddenly this is my favorite version of the song. Now if only I could get it as an audio file, I'd happily add it to my playlist of the album.

Well, I don't like the album version of this song - to me, it sounds neutered and too polished. But I also agree that Bono's vocal on most of the acoustic versions sounds hysterical and overwrought.

The only version of this song I enjoy is the acoustic take on the SOI bonus disc...

'If You Go Your Way..'

large.jpg

'Every breaking wave on the shore
Tells the next one there’ll be one more
And every gambler knows that to lose
Is what you’re really there for...'

Through October and November, the band were touring radio and TV studios in Europe, performing stripped back versions of songs from the new album.

None went down better than Every Breaking Wave, accompanied by a string quintet. This is what it was like in Glasgow at the MTV European Music Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszigsFaChc

http://www.u2.com/news/title/if-you-go-your-way

I'm so happy Adele brought us this wonderful thing called "Piano." I'll be ever grateful for her

When I first heard the acoustic version on the radio, I seriously thought it was an Adele song. It's the tone of the piano and the production that makes it sound like a Someone Like You clone. Plus, the context. You hear a song like that on the radio and naturally assume it's either Adele or John Legend.

Piano in the context of radio just screams Adele. It's never been done before.

Sent from my fingertips.

It sounds like an Adele song. No, it really does. U2 wants hits and probably figured a stripped-down arrangement would appeal to the adult contemporary market, one of the few they still thrive in. And that's OK.

I absolutely hate the acoustic arrangement, but not because it sounds like Someone Like You or All of Me or whatever. It's an awful vocal from Bono and the lack of Edge guitar really bothers me. This is why I don't want Bono to cut a solo record.

Last edited:
Speed of Sound is one of the only Coldplay songs that really sounds like U2. But it sounds more like Clocks.

I don't know who is Adele, and after all those comments, by now I'm too afraid to ask in here, and not interested in google her.

I know pianos, though.

It sounds like an Adele song. No, it really does. U2 wants hits and probably figured a stripped-down arrangement would appeal to the adult contemporary market, one of the few they still thrive in. And that's OK.

I absolutely hate the acoustic arrangement, but not because it sounds like Someone Like You or All of Me or whatever. It's an awful vocal from Bono and the lack of Edge guitar really bothers me. This is why I don't want Bono to cut a solo record.

Fully agree, Sometimes Bono can't make it on his own if he leaves The Edge, Adam and Larry behind. :sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom