ABC NEWS: Bono injured in rehearsal, undergoes emergency back surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap, sorry, I miscounted the weeks. :reject: Still, nearly 3 weeks. I don't think taking a short drive into town, or a brief stroll to receive a package from an oddly dressed lady is out of line.

No worries. And, as to your 2nd statement, not only do I not think it's out of line, I think it's great! It's AWESOME that he is able to be up and about in just 2 & 1/2 weeks! :D I'd be worried if he was still bed-ridden. Slow healing is never a good sign.

Me too, I thought I know I've been having a lot going on but maybe a little more than I thought...:crazy:

:reject: I even looked on a calendar before I posted. :der:

I don't know why, but it actually does seem like it happened longer than 2 1/2 weeks ago, to me.

No worries. And, as to your 2nd statement, not only do I not think it's out of line, I think it's great! It's AWESOME that he is able to be up and about in just 2 & 1/2 weeks! :D I'd be worried if he was still bed-ridden. Slow healing is never a good sign.

Agreed. :) The days of long bed rest are well over, and it's great to have visual confirmation of his good progress. :up:

I think they used to call those bloomers-are those "in" in France? Just wonderin'

:lol:

I think it is awesome, too! He is making great progress.

I think he'd have to be on some serious painkillers to go out wearing pantaloons or bloomers. :wink:

Actually I think he never was bed-ridden at all. With injuries and after surgeries like that, they make you get up asap. Bed-rest is not good if you want to recover and regain your strength. You have to start training/excersise/physical therapy soon because you need to move and train your muscles again. Your body has to get used to it.

Staying in bed for a longer time is actually bad. Of course you need many phases of rest and take care so you're not overdoing it and you have to do the right movements and excersise, but getting on your feet again is very important.

I think it's great to see Bono relatively shortly after the surgery, even though he might still be in some pain. But the fact that he's driving himself also means that he doesn't take many pain-killers anymore, otherwise I doubt they'd let him drive.

Your information has given me hope for Bono's return. I was deeply concerned. Especially, when I read about his paralysis. It came very close to being irreversible.

He may have a few restrictions. Which, actually will benefit him in the long run. He can still give a fantastic performance. I think he is one of the best rock stars, ever.

I

"I am looking forward, to seeing Bono in the press/concerts, etc. Of course, when he is well enough to do so. And he will be.

I haven't seen the new photo, but he wouuld have most likely been walking by day 3-4. He needs to get up and walk. It makes all the difference. I hope also he is already a week or so into PT. That will determine how much movement he will regain and maintain ,. He is only limited by his level of PT/exercise. It is totally up to him. know exactly what 98 % of all Drs would be telling him. He should be doing PT. By weeks 3-4 , he should be in pretty intense PT. if so, he will be high 8's to 98 % good. We never say 100... Lawyers.

PT, he will bounce like it is 1982. Naybe good idea to stay off speakers :wave:

A. Yes, that is what I was trying to do. The partial paralysis could easily have been irresversible. That is the only reason I questioned Rooster booster. There is a HUGE risk/reward to treating someone like him, and a football player or a performer. This is NO doubt in my mind he delayed what should have been done a couple of years ago. "Someone" convinced him otherwise, and it was almost a grave mistake. Teddy Pendergrass could do it on a stage in a wheelchair. Bono could be if he had no choice and I think he would have rather not. He has a choice.

"He may have a few restrictions. Which, actually will benefit him in the long run. He can still give a fantastic performance. I think he is one of the best rock stars, ever. "

I haven't seen the new photo, but he wouuld have most likely been walking by day 3-4. He needs to get up and walk. It makes all the difference. I hope also he is already a week or so into PT. That will determine how much movement he will regain and maintain ,. He is only limited by his level of PT/exercise. It is totally up to him. know exactly what 98 % of all Drs would be telling him. He should be doing PT. By weeks 3-4 , he should be in pretty intense PT. if so, he will be high 8's to 98 % good. We never say 100... Lawyers

I messed this post up. sorry. Had a 13 hour on a very young girl, She will walk agan too. thank God.

Everyone who wishes send him PT subliminal messages. It was an emergency operation because of S1. You start to lose contro over "functions" and that is what makes it very dangrous. I wll give Dr M credit for calling in a Neuro, and a good one . The operation once the disk and bone spurs were removed from the collum, isn't really that serious so to speak. What he does now is very serous. PT !!!!

The Edge doesn't seem to tell stories, they will be on him. Just seeing him out and obviously walking, is an excellent sign and he will fully recover. 95-98 % with proper PT . C-spines with basically the same problem uually have more "reduced" movement . 10-30 %, but that doesn't me it doesn't work. We are looking for range. His range potential is up to him. he does the PT , he is Golden.

Actually I think he never was bed-ridden at all. With injuries and after surgeries like that, they make you get up asap. Bed-rest is not good if you want to recover and regain your strength. You have to start training/excersise/physical therapy soon because you need to move and train your muscles again. Your body has to get used to it.

Staying in bed for a longer time is actually bad. Of course you need many phases of rest and take care so you're not overdoing it and you have to do the right movements and excersise, but getting on your feet again is very important.

I think it's great to see Bono relatively shortly after the surgery, even though he might still be in some pain. But the fact that he's driving himself also means that he doesn't take many pain-killers anymore, otherwise I doubt they'd let him drive.

I didn't see this one. you are right. he should stop the pain killers also, for the most part.

One more thing.. MOST, even NFL starts who have this type of surgery, are " uneasy" and somethmes untrustfull of a recovery. It feaks them out. The sooner that he is working out, he will gain a lot of confidence. 3 weekks would be too late to start. I bet he already has though.

I admit that I am a complete control freak. Being that vulnerable in and at the mercy of the hands of a surgeon would freak me out. They use a cocktail of drugs in order to control pain and mum always says that every major operation weakens the heart. A painkiller like Demerol would do that but not every drug will do that will it? Surgeon’s wouldn’t use a drug that could shorten life if the condition wasn’t life threatening would they? Michael Jackson had been taking that before he died and on a documentary a doctor said that only a few surgeon’s and hospital’s are able to get hold of it and that it’s used for those with terminal cancer or lethal serious burns. In the papers it said that every dose would weaken the heart. I have heard before that these painkilling drugs further decrease life expectancy in these types of patients’, particularly opiate drugs that weaken the heart muscle. It wouldn’t lower his life expectancy would it? I suppose operations that last for hours, one at an advanced age or if you are someone who is unfortunate to have to undergo many operations in a short space of time it could weaken the heart, but it wouldn’t for this type of operation would it?

But my worst fear would be rendered unconscious. This is my own personal fear and being vulnerable, ill or unable to look after myself. You’d have to put your whole trust in someone who you’ve never met before and I’m someone who only places my trust in my mum and a few close friends. Yet with an operation you are expected to place even more trust than you would in any of your friends and even your family. I honestly would rather walk though town stark naked than have to undergo an operation, especially one that will render me unconscious. My friend has an operation to remove a tooth and I asked her ‘wasn’t you nervous?’ – and she said no, she enjoyed it. :huh:This is what scares me about being pregnant, is that you have to give birth, especially if you have to have a caesarean.

"They use a cocktail of drugs in order to control pain and mum always says that every major operation weakens the heart. A painkiller like Demerol would do that but not every drug will do that will it? Surgeon’s wouldn’t use a drug that could shorten life if the condition wasn’t life threatening would they"

Pain meds are fine. He should be stopping them soon . he does look like he wearing some support under his clothes or he has gained a bit of weight .Quite a bit of weight ...... Not good (weight)

MJ is a whole different person. He had far greater issues that Bonos.. Jackson was a SEVERE drug addict. Guys like him are why is is increasingly difficult for legitimate pain mangement patients. Wallgreens tells us what we can and cannot prescibe.

There is a risk to being put under, but is is more of an allergic reaction so to speak. The great majority of people who are put under, have no issues, and they can bring you out fairly fast. It actually can be enjoyable ;) but when you wake up, you will be talkig away with only a slim bit of awareness of all the crazy things you have said. The stories we hear.... We relly ignoe them, but people confess, fantasies .. you name it. We have heard it all.

The Danger he had was the needle guy. I hope he is gone.

PT Bono PT !!!!!!!!!!

Are you talking about this Actovegin? The EU approves medicine for the whole region then it's up to individual countries to further test it. There are a few examples of this such as a Beta-Blockers which is now banned by the BMA but you can get it other EU countries. Serexat is banned in some EU countries but not in the UK. Halcion has been banned in the UK but the FDA approved it. I can understand if this guy was giving his patients Opren which is a universally banned painkilling drug that causes jaundice.

In the early 60 and late 50's dotors were prescribing Thaimidolide to pregnant women. They was not to know what the frightening consequences would be.

My friend was on Serexat but I don't think it made her anxiety and panic attacks any better. The drug company said that their tests proved that it was safe but most people's complaints was that it isn't beneficial. In the end she went to a hypnotherapist and slowly came off Serexat. She said that hypnotherapy is much better for helping her phobia's. But there are theories that hypnotheray is dangerous also. You search on the internet for anything I bet you there's a website saying that everything is dangerous.

The Daily Mail proclaims that everything causes cancer. I used to take these stories seriously and believe them. In an article this newspaper said that aluminium in deodorant causes breast cancer in women. There was also an article that the sweetener aspartame causes everything from cancer, crohn's disease, epilepsy, dementia, hyperthoiderism! Now I realise that these stories are just meant to scare the public.

PT will put a stop to that. Benji said so! Besides Bono also wants to beat his family to win a gold medal on skiing at the Olympic Resort on the WII.

Hi Annie,

The few restrictions would be, not to lift anything heavy and of course, not to re-injure. That would be about it. Everything else should be fine.

Hi Annie,

The few restrictions would be, not to lift anything heavy and of course, not to re-injure. That would be about it. Everything else should be fine.

I saw another Photo. I can't believe he gained all that weight since the incident . he better be doing PT !

I will link it

Perhaps, he is just wearing a light back support under his clothing. From what I have read. Some patients do, for a few weeks. Bono doesn't seem to have any problems with walking or driving. Which, I think is a very good sign.

For all the talk around here about Bono gaining weight, you'd think he gained and lost twenty pounds every week.

Good grief.

He looks pretty good to me! I like his hair a big longer, it looks kind of curly but probably just windbown. I am surprised he is driving already. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks but then again I had a cervical collar on.

Everybody here does 4 hours of exercise a day and is in perfect physical condition. Bono needs to follow the PLEBA workout routine, but then of course somebody would comment hes too muscular :)

Last of the rock stars when hip hop drove the big cars.

It says in that link that he had a compressed sciatic nerve. I hadn't heard that.

He was out with friends.. The two women in all white, it looks like he's out w/ nurses :wink:

bono-060810-3.jpg

I'd die of embarrassment if this was a picture of me with my dress flying up! :eek:

yay for pantaloons!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom