A new U2 360 DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on that logic, they will release the glastonbury show in full?

If we are arguing about setlist differences not being enough reason to put out another DVD..I think the differences between say Rose Bowl and the tours 3rd leg would be the same as the Boston/Slane comparison.

I don't think we will get anything else from 360, maybe in 20 years when it's the 20th anniversary edition, they'll release La Plata 3 which had about the same amount of ATYCLB songs Boston and Slane have :wink:

glastonbury isn't a u2 show, so no... the logic doesn't equate.

slane was a special gig... the prodigal sons returning to their homeland to play the biggest show(s) on a tour that put them back on top of the world, at a historic venue both in general and specific to the band. that's why it got it's own DVD.

Sod filming shows in the US......Release a full EUROPEAN show on DVD....im sick of dull american crowds ruining the atmoshpere of the show

I really wanted them to film either Croke Park or Wembley back in 2009 :sad:. Hopefully there'll be a TV broadcast in South America the way their was for Vertigo and BBC's coverage of Glastonbury, that way we do get some more high quality video.

As far as I'm aware noone has released their own Glastonbury performance, might be something to do with the broadcast rights maybe. However, it will be shown live on the BBC so you'd be able to make your own great-quality DVD recording of it as I intend to do.

glastonbury isn't a u2 show, so no... the logic doesn't equate.

Muse have. Albeit there is one song missing. What makes U2 so special they can't do the same?

Sod filming shows in the US......Release a full EUROPEAN show on DVD....im sick of dull american crowds ruining the atmoshpere of the show

I'd have no issues with that. Would make sense too since the Rose Bowl DVD captured an American audience anyway. And if Australia, Ireland, and Mexico audiences did the band justice too (and then some), then more power to them!

Muse have. Albeit there is one song missing. What makes U2 so special they can't do the same?

BBC own the rights to all the performances/footage. So for U2 to use it, it would be via the BBC. They'd 'own' it and release it. Or at best, they'd get a significant cut of the revenue.

And for whatever reason, Glastonbury performances are rarely released, and when they are, they are often like the Muse release, 'billed' as something else. (Muse being the Absolution Tour DVD i.e. not Muse Live at Glastonbury or whatever) - so there might be something about branding or whatever in there as well. Not allowed to overtly flog stuff off the Glastonbury name. Or they're super picky so as not to have a devalued brand. Or, it's just another significant percentage lost if you do.

What makes U2 so special? Nothing, but they might not be up for so much sharing. :wink:

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of Muse's DVD. There is obviously nothing to stop U2 doing the same, although it is hardly the conditions within which they ordinarily like to film a DVD - Glastonbury will be a high-pressure performance, with them outside their comfort zone, playing largely to non-fans. Although obviously if the show is a rip-roaring success, they may decide they'd like to release it.

Why would they?

It has nothing to do with it being a festival... it has to do with them having already put out a DVD for this tour, so to put out a second one it would have to be a very special gig.

And I think most people would consider this a very special gig. Especially if they really do pull it off above and beyond expectations.

At both Melbourne shows in 2010 there were signs saying the concert was being filmed. Do they have these signs at all concerts? Because if not the Melbourne shows would be pretty good.

Tommy WM said:
At both Melbourne shows in 2010 there were signs saying the concert was being filmed. Do they have these signs at all concerts? Because if not the Melbourne shows would be pretty good.

Yes. Every show is filmed.

And I think most people would consider this a very special gig. Especially if they really do pull it off above and beyond expectations.

yet to be seen.

they're one of 3 main acts, the other two being coldplay and beyonce. i think it's bigger for those two than it is for an act who's been around and done so much already like u2... much like the previously mentioned muse, where headlining a huge festival is sort of a crowning achievement (to this point) for an act. u2 doesn't need any more crowning achievements to cement their place in rock history.

so i think it'll be special if and only if they do something special. if they go out there and do the generic 360 set, i, for one, am going to care less that it was at glastonbury. if they really do put on a special gig? then sure... i'd like to see it at some point.

yet to be seen.

they're one of 3 main acts, the other two being coldplay and beyonce. i think it's bigger for those two than it is for an act who's been around and done so much already like u2... much like the previously mentioned muse, where headlining a huge festival is sort of a crowning achievement (to this point) for an act. u2 doesn't need any more crowning achievements to cement their place in rock history.

so i think it'll be special if and only if they do something special. if they go out there and do the generic 360 set, i, for one, am going to care less that it was at glastonbury. if they really do put on a special gig? then sure... i'd like to see it at some point.

Its special because it has the potential to sway the current tide of negative opinion against them in the UK. It has the potential to win over a whole load of people, young and old, and up their 'street cred' by a few notches.

So no they don't need any more crowning achievements, but it would be nice just to silence some of the haters a little bit wouldn't it?!

U2 being there also matters more than Coldplay cos they've done it 3 times over the last few years and frankly I don't think any one really cares that much. Beyonce, yeh ok she's a pretty big coup for the festival, but its still not as big a deal as getting the biggest band of the last 25 years to play their first (and probably only) major festival since their early days.

MikeyJB said:
Its special because it has the potential to sway the current tide of negative opinion against them in the UK. It has the potential to win over a whole load of people, young and old, and up their 'street cred' by a few notches.

So no they don't need any more crowning achievements, but it would be nice just to silence some of the haters a little bit wouldn't it?!

U2 being there also matters more than Coldplay cos they've done it 3 times over the last few years and frankly I don't think any one really cares that much. Beyonce, yeh ok she's a pretty big coup for the festival, but its still not as big a deal as getting the biggest band of the last 25 years to play their first (and probably only) major festival since their early days.

I agree that its a big deal for Glastonbury, more than it is for u2.

Also... if they go out and mail it in with a 360 Lite performance, it will only fuel negativity.

So again... wait and see. I'd love for it to be a special performance. I'm just not going to call it special before it actually, ya know, happens.

Potential to be special and actually being special are two different things...

Well, I don't know about Beyonce but Coldplay has played Glastonbury before. First time at Glastonbury is bound to be more special for the artist than third time (for Coldplay), even if you've done a bunch of other stuff before that. And if I get this right, U2 has barely played festivals at all.

Just the fact that The Edge went to Glastonbury last year even though he wasn't officially playing there shows how much they (or at least he) wanted to play there. This is no regular gig for U2.

or it shows that they were supposed to be the act, and the act that took their place, who has a relationship with the band due to a lot of opening gigs, asked him to come along? maybe? nah?

the rock hall of fame anniversary show was a special gig. u2's set, although it had special moments, was quite lame and safe.

all i'm saying is that let's not declare this the greatest gig of all time before it actually happens.

Well crap, looks like I didn't note on my bootleg spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet - wanna make somethin' of it? :grumpy: ) which ones are multicams other than these, all of which I'd say are great: Helsinki 8/21, Paris 9/18, Brussels 9/22, Coimbra 10/3.

I know there are more that I have which are multicams; I'll have to update my list sometime.

You get a good list if you search for "multicam" on U2torrents:

http://u2torrents.com/torrents-search?search=multicam&cat=0

I think there are one or two that weren't torrented there due to official material (thanks to WAIE), but other than that, there are some great options to download.

Ah thank you! I will be sure to check those out.:hyper: These should hopefully keep me from being too bored over spring break in a few weeks.

What makes Glastonbury exciting is the challenge. U2 haven't played a gig in front a crowd that might well be at least 50% needing convincing since... when? And then the other half of the crowd will be pure adoration. And that crowd - the immense, incredibly loud, super energetic Glastonbury crowd - could be as high as 150K for U2. So you've got a Slane sized crowd giving off a Slane-type ecstatic U2 lovefest thing, and then another Slane sized crowd on top of that saying "Alright U2, prove it." The combination of the ecstatic and the blistering, U2 needing to both punch and hug the crowd, that alone is exciting. U2's only real live challenge in forever has been in needing to live up to the love. They haven't had to work to earn a thing from a crowd in forever.

Then throw in the physical challenge of the setup. No theatrics. None of the favoured staging. No b-stage. No ramps or rings or whatever. There's actually a very large distance between the stage and the crowd. And again, BIG crowd covering a huge area, goes a long, long way back, with what are actually pretty small screens and a relatively limited 'show'. Twice the size of your average stadium gig, all GA, reaching twice as far back as your average stadium GA pitch. That's fucking tough. They're going to have to work it in a very different way. Particularly Bono. It's all resting on the songs and the performance. And that's it. That's exciting.

Honestly, there really is little in any U2 gig these days that is spontaneous, or not highly choreographed. And while there are some more up nights and some more down nights, and while it is obviously true that the band and Bono feed off crowd energy, I think it is actually pretty rare to see him and them really, truly lost in it or really obviously giving it their all. I mean, they do every night, in a professional way, but a lot of it is also a well rehearsed auto pilot. This forces that. The size of it, the taking them out of their comfort zone in several ways - it won't be 'autopilot 360' simply because it can't be.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to it immensely because its a scenario that U2 haven't faced in forever. They basically retreated from this, and into a cocoon of their own adoring fans under their own favoured conditions. The challenge it presents demands the opposite of anything 'lite'. And while you're right, it's not some 'crowning achievement', I think if they pull it off, it will be considered as a sort of 'career crowning moment'.

And speaking of Gimme Shelter - they should bust that out again at Glastonbury. Send a chopper to London for Mr Jagger, and sub Beyonce in for Fergie.

Well, at worst I think it will be like Slane - a very big gig with a unique crowd-band energy, so 'special' in that same way. At best, that necessary combination of ecstasy and agro mixed with the challenges, multiplied by the sheer size of the thing, will force them to attempt one hell of a performance. Pull it off, and that could be something 'special' at an all-time level, really. I definitely, definitely don't think they'll dial any of it in. They can't. And they are historically pretty good at rising to challenges. And either way, the attempt will be great for any longtime U2 fan, even if they don't pull it off. It will, at least, be 'special' for us just because it is different/unique. We haven't had anything like this from U2 in forever.

Couldn't have said it better Earnie. We basically need them to still be the same U2 that were capable of rising to (and above) the challenge at stuff like Live Aid, Red Rocks, post-9/11 shows, Superbowl, etc, etc. It needs to be something extraordinary otherwise the UK media will savage them, draw unfavourable comparisons with Coldplay who are on Saturday; so it has the potential to turn nasty for them. I would say that is pretty unlikely as long as they pull out all the stops, crank it up energy-wise, Bono restrains himself to just the singing, and really go for it. Kicking it off with that new version of EBTTRT would be perfect to get things going anyway, so my hopes are more than high.

:shrug: again... i hope they kill. nothing would make me happier than to see u2 go out there without any props or gadgets and pull off an amazing, energetic set that really gets the crowd going with an unbelievable set that pulls from the best of every era of the band.

but would it shock me if they showed up and did a standard 360 set with a song or two thrown in to make it "special"? absolutely not.

so again... yea... wait and see.

I think U2 thinks it's a special event. You don't write a song in honor of the occasion if you don't think it's a big deal.

Will it be a special show? Who knows. But it's still a special event, at least for them.

Couldn't have said it better Earnie. We basically need them to still be the same U2 that were capable of rising to (and above) the challenge at stuff like Live Aid, Red Rocks, post-9/11 shows, Superbowl, etc, etc. It needs to be something extraordinary otherwise the UK media will savage them, draw unfavourable comparisons with Coldplay who are on Saturday; so it has the potential to turn nasty for them. I would say that is pretty unlikely as long as they pull out all the stops, crank it up energy-wise, Bono restrains himself to just the singing, and really go for it. Kicking it off with that new version of EBTTRT would be perfect to get things going anyway, so my hopes are more than high.

The media is the key IMO. They could have an open mind on this or go at them with knives out. The show would have been a great idea in 2001 when the world loved U2, now it's 2011 and it seems the world just about couldn't care less about U2.

The crowd won't be the problem. Yes it's not a typical U2 audience but U2 is a big enough name not to get blown off upon first glance.

The band ? I don't doubt they will be/are fired up for this especially Bono. I just hope his voice doesn't crack up too much since the show is mid-US tour leg. The band has, of course, achieved a lot in their career but they didn't play Glastonbury yet. I think the potential is huge...alone the idea of a U2 show, without the loyal U2 fanbase, without the massive stage is intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom