3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anecdotally, I've seen several friends on my social media that I would have never suspected to like U2 (or even admit to liking U2) say they were going to the Sphere show. Two of them in their late 20's/early 30's.

This residency seems to be doing wonders for the bands overall image, even amongst millennials.

Anecdotally, I've seen several friends on my social media that I would have never suspected to like U2 (or even admit to liking U2) say they were going to the Sphere show. Two of them in their late 20's/early 30's.

This residency seems to be doing wonders for the bands overall image, even amongst millennials.

All of my friends who've teased me for years about liking U2 (I'm in my early 30s), have all been extremely interested and only have had positive things to say about what they've seen on TikTok. This is certainly the least I've been derided for openly liking U2 lmao

its because, at the end of the day, U2 has 6-10 songs that everyone loves. everyone. some just hide it because 1) Bono can be cringe, 2) that iPhone thing.

it's a shame at how social media puts an emphasis on liking "cool/obscure" music, even more so than in the supposedly "alternative/everyone else is a sellout/I need to look miserable onstage" early 90s. the amount of thought that people put into their year end Spotify lists so they can present themselves a certain way seems really unfortunate.

its because, at the end of the day, U2 has 6-10 songs that everyone loves. everyone. some just hide it because 1) Bono can be cringe, 2) that iPhone thing.

it's a shame at how social media puts an emphasis on liking "cool/obscure" music, even more so than in the supposedly "alternative/everyone else is a sellout/I need to look miserable onstage" early 90s. the amount of thought that people put into their year end Spotify lists so they can present themselves a certain way seems really unfortunate.

it's sad, really. things that are big and popular can also be good, and things that are obscure and trendy can be awful. and vice versa.

what i'm trying to say here is that i stopped giving a turkey about what people thought about my music choices a long time ago.

Just read that the MSG entertainment group wanted to build a Sphere in London and the Mayor rejected it.

Given the cost of the Vegas Sphere, they’re probably better off near-term on keeping it a Vegas exclusive. It’s a city that caters well to a visiting crowd. I’ve seen some idiotic conjecture of a NY Sphere to replace MSG as if it’s a proper replacement for a sports arena. The sports viewing concept is going to get a tryout run via Cosm. The supposed UFC event at Sphere is going to be an interesting situation as well.

But Sphere as a destination concert venue is going to have enough challenges finding proper acts to scale as-is. A secondary venue won’t help that.

The house that Sphere built

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/real-estate/bono-spec-home-investor-hollywood-hills-1235648263/amp/

Maybe this is the house that I speculated that they could all live in for the residency and never have to see each other

Headed back to Vegas Friday morning (I don't like flying the day of the show, but it is what it is). Where is the thread for posting the mandatory unflattering pictures of us sitting on the airplane so that we can let people know we are about to take off? :hmm:

Is it too much to ask them to do AB show at MSG just without the UV? I don't think so.

A friend who's an uber Phish fan thinks that these 4 shows will be the only 4 this year, as the band has been keeping to less than 50 shows a year for a while, and adding any more to Sphere would blow through that number. He thinks it will evolve into more of an annual thing similar to what Phish does at MSG vs. a long residency.

So that does open up the possibility of more U2 shows.

Edit - I guess Phish have said themselves as well that these four shows are the only four shows.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind Pride, I just want something other than four R&H tracks. I’ve heard When Love Comes To Town live already in Phoenix in 2015 (replacing In Gods Country from the night before :( )

I wouldn’t mind Pride, I just want something other than four R&H tracks. I’ve heard When Love Comes To Town live already in Phoenix in 2015 (replacing In Gods Country from the night before :( )

I am not crazy about the R&H middle but I was at the 10/7 and 10/8 shows where we had the shortest middle set and got Pride twice. ? So if we get it this weekend I am blaming you! ;)

I was at both of those Phoenix shows too. :)

So they are selling $25 GA tix to local college students ??????

I wonder if because they will be filming a DVD or something and wanted some non old folks home energy in the crowd. Kind of is reminiscent of the Boston Elevation DVD fiasco, I'm going to sit in protest.

Oh wait, everyone is already sitting

So they are selling $25 GA tix to local college students ������

I wonder if because they will be filming a DVD or something and wanted some non old folks home energy in the crowd. Kind of is reminiscent of the Boston Elevation DVD fiasco, I'm going to sit in protest.

Oh wait, everyone is already sitting

I just saw that on Instagram, if they are doing that for that reason it's cringeworthy. Considering they're all over 60 (except for Bram and he's a sub) maybe just accept that fact. Perhaps they could stop listening to marketing people and just appreciate their fans who have been loyal for a very long time. Of course I mean IF that is true.

They denied the whole Boston thing but who knows what the truth was about that. I was at that show in the GA line, I didn't get picked. Did try to talk some sense into the sitters.

Many comments saying it's unfair considering what other fans paid for GA tickets.

I just saw that on Instagram, if they are doing that for that reason it's cringeworthy. Considering they're all over 60 (except for Bram and he's a sub) maybe just accept that fact. Perhaps they could stop listening to marketing people and just appreciate their fans who have been loyal for a very long time. Of course I mean IF that is true.

They denied the whole Boston thing but who knows what the truth was about that. I was at that show in the GA line, I didn't get picked. Did try to talk some sense into the sitters.

Many comments saying it's unfair considering what other fans paid for GA tickets.

Yeah I just don't know the other reasoning there would be other than they want younger, more energetic people in GA. If they had extra GAs to sell you'd think they'd offer them to fanclub members at full price versus trying to lure young people in with cheap tickets.

Back
Top Bottom