2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Bon Jovi at a Starbucks.

So? Regina George met John Stamos on a plane once.

651513a8179a3f420fe48772167bd26b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

They have been doing "acoustic interludes" for decades. It's called taking a damn break to get a drink, use the loo, etc. Larry's been seeing the same doctors in Germany since ZooTv when he began his bull's blood injections. It amazes me how this forum never ceases to jump to "oh noes" conclusions every damn year. Almost makes me long for the internet free years where speculation like this wasnt such a problem. They went away to "dream it all up again" at the end of R&H/Lovetown and people have been saying each tour since is the last. Sheesh. That was 1989! This is 2015! Did I miss something here or has this fanbase REALLY had the same effing argument for 26 years???? :doh:

lol, did you miss Larry completely last two tours? Check pictures from Vertigo tour where you can clearly see the supportive bandages on his arms. He couldn't drum without them. He's got special made drumsticks and chairs for fuck's sake. This has nothing to do with jumping to conclusions, it's more a slow paced observation. 40 years of playing the drums takes its toll on a human body. Especially when that body isn't in perfect health. The acoustic interlude might be a bathroom break for most of us, but it wasn't for Mullen.

From another forum....

"
«on:Todayat 01:50:34 PM »

I have heard some very interesting news from two independent sources in relation to the forthcoming tour and the band's mindset. Before I relay what information that was passed to me, I want to make clear that I trust the sources and though the lower level detail is not here, what has been divulged sounds promising for the tour ahead.

But I am getting ahead of myself, let me give a brief background on my sources and how they came about the information. The first source is a freelance journalist, who has previously worked for Empire magazine; the second source is a Dutch violinist friend who is currently based in Canada.

Both have, for different reasons, in recent weeks been circulating in the pre Oscar scene and is through these events that discussions were had with associates close to the band. Now I did ask if they could name their sources but unfortunately all I know is that they are legit contacts very close to the band or the record label.

As for the information, I have been advised of the following:

1. Bono is recovering well and the band, management & sponsors are confident the tour will progress as scheduled on time (as long as the B man doesn't do anything stupid before then)

2. The tour logistically has been finalised for a number of months, and more dates are scheduled to be announced.

3. The band have a very clear strategy for their 'musical journey' for the next 2 years. I did ask if this was a reference to the future SOE and/or SOA but I didn't get this point clarified.

4. The band are "very excited" about the tour and the show they want to convey. I have been told some of the imagery & ideas are amazing.

5. Musically the band have used the downtime to review their ENTIRE back catalogue. I have been told that NOTHING is guaranteed for setlists and classics like Streets, Pride, WOWY could be radically reduced or dropped entirely.

6. It won't be a surprise to many but there will be "a special acoustic element that may include some sort of orchestra" take from this what you will.

That is it, if I hear anything further I will be sure to pass it on."

This is speaking to this tour cycle, that's all. Nowhere does it indicate this is the end for the band, I've been hearing for three tours now that this is the end. BS. This is speaking to this cycle only. I don't care what the band has alluded to about 60 or whatever. Can you imagine the band suddenly hitting 60 and becoming inactive? Even if they have alluded to doing so in the past, the reality of actually getting there and thinking "I have another 20 - 30 years of life, I think I'll just take it easy..." yeah, I can't see U2 doing that, as long as they are all fit to tour and record. Making those proclamations when you are 10 or 20 years out is one thing. When you get closer to it and then start joking about how the only way one can leave is like the priesthood or the Mafia....that's another thing altogether. I expect them to record/tour till at least one of them is incapacitated.

FWIW, I'm a fairly frequent concert-goer, and of my top 5 concerts, all but one of them are older than U2.

This is speaking to this tour cycle, that's all. Nowhere does it indicate this is the end for the band, I've been hearing for three tours now that this is the end. BS. This is speaking to this cycle only. I don't care what the band has alluded to about 60 or whatever. Can you imagine the band suddenly hitting 60 and becoming inactive? Even if they have alluded to doing so in the past, the reality of actually getting there and thinking "I have another 20 - 30 years of life, I think I'll just take it easy..." yeah, I can't see U2 doing that, as long as they are all fit to tour and record. Making those proclamations when you are 10 or 20 years out is one thing. When you get closer to it and then start joking about how the only way one can leave is like the priesthood or the Mafia....that's another thing altogether. I expect them to record/tour till at least one of them is incapacitated.

FWIW, I'm a fairly frequent concert-goer, and of my top 5 concerts, all but one of them are older than U2.

I wouldn't doubt any of that. Right now anyway.

U2 has always stated that they don't want to become a jukebox version of themselves, churning out the U2 hits to adorning live audiences with nothing new to show. bono's on stage personas during ZooTV specifically mocked this notion.

they're getting towards that territory.

will they ultimately forego those early ideas and keep on keeping on? i hope so, and i think so.

will they ever go on if one of the members can't continue? no chance.

it's hard to think of the mortality of your own idols. but they're getting near that dicey age range where shit starts to go down. not necessarily death, but just getting to the point where physically you can't go on.

are there acts that still go on well past 60? of course.

Springsteen is still touring at a high level, but he's a solo artist, and the E Street band has lost two key members over the past 5 years.

The Stones are an obvious example, but they haven't featured the original lineup in decades.

The Who are just Pete and Roger.

AC/DC has had the same lineup for a while, but that's with a new lead singer. and the current lineup is on the verge of falling apart due to health reasons.

paul mccartney is a solo act.

etc. etc. etc.

U2 is getting old. they've had health issues. two members have back issues, which contrary to the believe of some here on these forums, don't just go away. each and every tour cycle should be treated by fans as if it might be the last one. because they're at an age where it realistically could be.

obviously we all hope it isn't.

U2 has always stated that they don't want to become a jukebox version of themselves, churning out the U2 hits to adorning live audiences with nothing new to show. bono's on stage personas during ZooTV specifically mocked this notion.

will they ultimately forego those early ideas and keep on keeping on? i hope so, and i think so.

it's hard to think of the mortality of your own idols. but they're getting near that dicey age range where shit starts to go down. not necessarily death, but just getting to the point where physically you can't go on.

Springsteen is still touring at a high level, but he's a solo artist, and the E Street band has lost two key members over the past 5 years.

The Stones are an obvious example, but they haven't featured the original lineup in decades.

AC/DC has had the same lineup for a while, but that's with a new lead singer. and the current lineup is on the verge of falling apart due to health reasons.

etc. etc. etc.

U2 is getting old. they've had health issues. two members have back issues, which contrary to the believe of some here on these forums, don't just go away. each and every tour cycle should be treated by fans as if it might be the last one. because they're at an age where it realistically could be.

Clearly they're not the same lads they were during ZooTv. How many discussions have been had about how they are too "soft" now, or they aren't taking any risks with their albums? I very seriously doubt that they would ever say "Nope, not touring. Fuck making money." Bono said a lot of shit in his 30s. Hell, they all did. I for one, am grateful that certain members of the band aren't acting like they did in their 30s. *coughAdamcough*

We are very fortunate to still have U2 in one piece, touring, and making music. I am not going to suggest they are even close to done. I know better. As long as the four of them are willing and able, they'll be there. Case and point: the very tour we are getting ready to see and support. If Bono had truly wanted to be done, he had the perfect out. A massive bike injury. Instead, he's fighting to get out on the road. Because that is who they are. They aren't the sort to sit on their haunches and be idle. They're a live act and always have been. I'm ready for what's next.

*steps off soapbox*

Clearly they're not the same lads they were during ZooTv. How many discussions have been had about how they are too "soft" now, or they aren't taking any risks with their albums? I very seriously doubt that they would ever say "Nope, not touring. Fuck making money." Bono said a lot of shit in his 30s. Hell, they all did. I for one, am grateful that certain members of the band aren't acting like they did in their 30s. *coughAdamcough*

We are very fortunate to still have U2 in one piece, touring, and making music. I am not going to suggest they are even close to done. I know better. As long as the four of them are willing and able, they'll be there. Case and point: the very tour we are getting ready to see and support. If Bono had truly wanted to be done, he had the perfect out. A massive bike injury. Instead, he's fighting to get out on the road. Because that is who they are. They aren't the sort to sit on their haunches and be idle. They're a live act and always have been. I'm ready for what's next.

*steps off soapbox*

sooooo yea, i said that i don't think they'd bail out like they said they would, and that they won't go away as long as there is still money to be made...

but alas, all i'm saying is that they're getting up into a delicate age, and that while we certainly hope they go on for decades to come, history says otherwise, and every opportunity to see them should be cherished, as the time they have left is near an end.

etc. etc. etc.

Look at a band like Aerosmith; they have a replacement on call for the drummer (his son), bassist and the "other guitarist" Brad Whitford, in case one of them can't make a gig because of health reasons. In the past few years, they've had to utilize all 3 replacements. But the show will go on unless Steven Tyler or Joe Perry are unable to perform. I just can't see U2 doing this if it were Adam or Larry that were unable to perform. Obviously Bono and Edge are more essential, but I really think U2 are about the 4 of them onstage more than any other band.

So I started out a huge U2 fan then got into Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Pearl Jam big time afterwards, and I believe U2 could be around for longer than most people would think if they have a similar approach TPATH & PJ currently have- these 2 bands are far beyond established & continue to play large audiences, so make the music they want to, enjoy the craft, play to their strengths & give time to heal up (ie Larry & Bono) & just know the audience will be there, despite it not being the size it once was.

I think this might require U2 to re-think they're tour strategy & not do this 5 cities in the U.S. thing that they're doing on this tour- feels like with I&E Tour they are trying to build cred with a newer demographic or something by deeply penetrating big market bases, which I think is a mistake if that's how they're hoping to find feeling album success. If they shifted their emphasis away from being that 'World Band' by only playing the 5 biggest cities in a country and instead go to shorter tours & more regional legs ala Pearl Jam that they could be around for a lot longer time. PJ has gone on record to say they need more time with family & taking care of things at home & theyre older now so the shorter tours work for them. TPAHB & PJ like U2 have a lot of miles & are still very successful, difference being TPAHB & PJ don't get as wrapped up in making a #1 album through promotions as U2 does, but all 3 bands are very similar in how much love they have for their latest works & the effort they put into not making crap albums. I can hear & feel the craft in Mojo & Hypnotic Eye - especially on Hypnotc Eye), Backspacer & especially Lightning Bolt, and I feel that in No Line & SOI, despite these albums not being gigantic smash albums they way U2 would probably wish they'd become like years past. Ironically, TPATH & PJ both did really well on their last albums respectively, both hitting #1 (Hypnotic Eye on Billboard & I beliefe Lightning Bolt was #1 on iTunes or something, yet they don't seem to put out the same marketing efforts (at least outwardly) to create a #1 album the way U2 does....how about 'If you build it, they will come'...

Here's my game plan: enjoy the fuck out of as many shows as possible on this tour.

That was more or less my thinking on 360, and there was definitely a "just in case/what if" element that took me to Moncton for the final show.

Any shows I see going forward is just gravy.

Including the fees MSG tix are $58.95 - $400.15 I am sure they will have even higher priced "VIP" tix too.

By comparison, U2 MSG tix are $48.80 - $312.40 including fees. Not including the "VIP" tix.

U2's VIP packages are $240 and $595, which is cheaper than VIP packages for the Stones, Madge and other artists like New Kids on the Block. Too bad they take up a good chunk of the lower bowl. Madge has 5 VIP packages for this tour. Disgusting, but they will still sell out.

Is the price layout the same were all the lower bowl seats are top priced tickets?

Is the price layout the same were all the lower bowl seats are top priced tickets?

Keep in mind also that it's seated on the floor for Madonna (at least it has been in previous tours) so top dollar seats will indeed be on the floor as well as in the usual center sections of the lower ring. Her staging is such that the rear of stage seats will likely be blocked off, so no rear cheapies either.

U2's VIP packages are $240 and $595, which is cheaper than VIP packages for the Stones, Madge and other artists like New Kids on the Block. Too bad they take up a good chunk of the lower bowl. Madge has 5 VIP packages for this tour. Disgusting, but they will still sell out.

Are the Stones and the ragged mess that used to be called Madonna donating that money to charity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom