Zurich II setlist PARTY part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But this probably isnt even a final version? people ask them to play Mercy live, they play it and people arent happy still.

I accept that it's not a final version. I'm just saying, whatever version this is, even if it's a work-in-progress version, I prefer the original version to it. That's all. If they play it again and the pre-chorus is back in, great, or if there's a studio release with it, great. All I'm saying is that the version they played tonight, imo, isn't as good as the original. IMO.

And I don't like being lumped in with people who complain all the time. I really haven't complained about anything U2-related much at all for a long while. I like NLOTH, I love the 360 tour, I like the new songs they're playing.

Like I said, I love that they played any version of the song at all, I'm proud of them for that. And I love they're playing new songs this tour too. I just happen to prefer the original version of Mercy to this version, that is all. I just don't see why that has to end up provoking all the "oh the complaints are already starting" posts.

But this probably isnt even a final version? people ask them to play Mercy live, they play it and people arent happy still.

Wow haha, is there really something wrong with reacting to the performance? I couldn't be happier about them playing the song...that doesn't mean I'm going to stop talking about it.

I accept that it's not a final version. I'm just saying, whatever version this is, even if it's a work-in-progress version, I prefer the original version to it. That's all. If they play it again and the pre-chorus is back in, great, or if there's a studio release with it, great. All I'm saying is that the version they played tonight, imo, isn't as good as the original. IMO.

And I don't like being lumped in with people who complain all the time. I really haven't complained about anything U2-related much at all for a long while. I like NLOTH, I love the 360 tour, I like the new songs they're playing.

Like I said, I love that they played any version of the song at all, I'm proud of them for that. And I love they're playing new songs this tour too. I just happen to prefer the original version of Mercy to this version, that is all. I just don't see why that has to end up provoking all the "oh the complaints are already starting" posts.

:up:

Ok so let's not talk about the song at all until it's finished? Sorry but if you're going to have a discussion about new (somewhat) music, there are going to be some who like it and some who don't. Do you really think only positive comments should be allowed about an unfinished song?

Just back from the show. It was a crazy wet night...thank god we had seats. Adam showed off his six pack :drool: and Mercy was superb...Bono changed lots of lyrics...may be his teleprompter had broken! His microphone certainly broke

Fantastic night. Even Adam grabbed the mic as he left the stage to thank the crowd!

Mercy sounded wonderful - including the new Edge solo and Mothers of the Disappeared fits perfectly. The crowd were well into it despite the rain and the show just flew by. Possibly beats Wembley 2 from last year as my favourite U2 show.:hyper:

The rain was mad - they were kicking up spray as they splashed through the puddles on stage. Amazingly few technical glitches considering. I love this band!

Just back from the show. It was a crazy wet night...thank god we had seats. Adam showed off his six pack :drool: and Mercy was superb...Bono changed lots of lyrics...may be his teleprompter had broken! His microphone certainly broke

:applaud: I'm glad you had a great time Kristin! You got MERCY!

Fantastic night. Even Adam grabbed the mic as he left the stage to thank the crowd!

Mercy sounded wonderful - including the new Edge solo and Mothers of the Disappeared fits perfectly. The crowd were well into it despite the rain and the show just flew by. Possibly beats Wembley 2 from last year as my favourite U2 show.:hyper:

The rain was mad - they were kicking up spray as they splashed through the puddles on stage. Amazingly few technical glitches considering. I love this band!

You guys were so lucky, except for the drenching. The crowd sounded really into it from the sound of the actually underwater feed.

There was no curfew as far as I'm aware, and it was an odd time to end, 10.15pm. It must have been the rain. Matt said it was the worst he ever had and Bono said something along the lines of we can do one more song. I think the umbrellas weren't enough to shield the equipment anymore.

yeah it was definitely the rain. watch the videos you can see how much the umbrellas were starting to weigh down from the water.. It was clear that wasn't gonna last.

:applaud: I'm glad you had a great time Kristin! You got MERCY!

You guys were so lucky, except for the drenching. The crowd sounded really into it from the sound of the actually underwater feed.

Thanks - we were very very lucky since last night we were GA but tonight we had seats behind the red zone on Edge's side and were covered except when the wind blew the rain in. Just uploading a vid to YouTube of North Star & Mercy.

I'll preface this by saying Mercy is one of my favorite songs of the last decade and I'm so happy they're playing it live.

What I think it needs is to have that build up in the beginning of the song that the 2004 version had. I really liked the slow build up especially the first 2 verses. With Larry's drumming building up that would make it perfect before it explodes into the first chorus. Oh and put 'rippin the stitches' before the first chorus. Other then that I like how the song has evolved especially with the new solo, some of the lyrical changes and the way the song ends.

For me this could be one of their best songs and stand along side Bad and Streets, but that's my opinion and my taste is subjective. Can't wait to see how the finished version sounds if/when they release it on an album.

Am I the only one who is actually surprised how little the song has changed? People are complaining that they like the original better, but really, I'm quite impressed how similar it is to the song we got 6 years ago. The verse lyrics are pretty much identical with just a few taken out. Do kind of miss the Nero line, but it still has my favourite lines... the wonderful opening lines, the "gravity searching for the ground/silence searching for a sound," and the best one - "Happiness is for those who don't really need it"

I love the new chorus, especially the punch at the end. I don't really miss the prechorus. I like it in the original, but I think the song works just as well without it. I really, really really hope they keep playing it live (US leg plz?). The fact that it's lived this long and now they've played it pretty much guarantees it a spot on the next album, I'd say. Very much looking forward to hearing the recorded version. An album with Mercy and Every Breaking Wave = :drool:

well done, U2. dreams do come true. never thought I'd see the day.

Original version had some rather unfortunate lyrics, like they were jsut made up on the spot and like the actung baby session recordings we have. I think the new lyrics are brilliant, I just hope they can still add in the bridge once they get more confident, please play this 2nd night in brisvegas

Thanks - we were very very lucky since last night we were GA but tonight we had seats behind the red zone on Edge's side and were covered except when the wind blew the rain in. Just uploading a vid to YouTube of North Star & Mercy.

Here is the vid sorry about the crap sound this is a basic camera! YouTube - 2010-09-12 PG U2 Zurich North Star & Mercy Featuring a special appearance from Sam at 42 second mark!

I just caught up with the amazing U2 news today

and just saw the Youtube video...twice (and counting, fo sho!)

and OMG U2 PLAYED MERCY! AND THEY'LL PLAY IT AGAIN! AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY BE REAL! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Am I the only one who is actually surprised how little the song has changed? People are complaining that they like the original better, but really, I'm quite impressed how similar it is to the song we got 6 years ago...

Nope, it's the first thing I said here when we heard the first rehearsal. :wave: (Though I wouldn't say I was super surprised, more like very glad.)

I was lucky enough to be in Chicago for the world debuts of both The First Time and Your Blue Room.

I really hope the Swiss fans enjoyed Mercy tonight and have fond memories of the show.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of which songs are left that U2 haven't played? Obviously Acrobat is at the top of a lot of people's lists, and Fez/Being Born too.

Does such a list exist? (I suppose for album songs only, as b-sides and other such oddities would make the list a bit cumbersome.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom