Your opinion of HTDAAB now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that so many people dislike AMAAW, which is one of my favourites on the album.

The only poor song is ABOY, which is embarrassing in my opinion. Except for the final minute.

My opinion of HTDAAB now?

It is better than it was yesterday.

And tomorrow it will be even better.

A grower, and more and more clearly a masterpiece with each repeated listen.

i loved the album at first listening, i claimed it as their best album immediately, and today i confirm it.........how to dismantle an atomic bomb is u2's best album ever done. here's my fav list:

1 sometimes you can't make it on your own
2 miracle drug
2 original of the species
2 one step closer
2crumbs from your table
2vertigo
2fast cars
2 city of blinding lights
l2ove, peace or else, 2yahweh,2 a man and a woman, 2all because of you.........:wink:

I still think it is one of U2's worst, with Pop and October. But see, I like Pop and October, and I like HTDAAB. I just don't love them, and they lack something that JT, AB, and even ATYCLB had.

I'm glad people like it enough to call it a U2 classic, but I just don't see it.

I have it ranked as my 3rd favorite in front of UF. My first 2 being AB then Pop. I'm sure things will change when I hear the new songs live.

1. COBL
2. Yawehh
3. Crumbs
4. Original
5. Sometimes
6. Miracle Drug
7. Vertigo
8. One Step Closer
9. All Because of You
10. Love and Peace
11. Man and Woman (Great tune though)

My opinion has not changed all that much. To tell the truth I was somewhat disappointed with HTDAAB since I expected something different - more in tune with all the hype that had been kicked up about it being the ultimate rock 'n roll wonder, something which Vertigo seemed to confirm, but as we know was left at that. I don't dislike the album, in fact I like it better than ATYCLB, it needed a time to sink in but I have the feeling that it won't become one of my faves.

My general impression is that whilst there are some good tracks the overall production of the album lacks a clear concept, which in view of the huge diversity of the material was desperately needed. In fact it isn't clear whether this factor was intended to be stressed upon (song order would suggest so) or else concealed (the overall sound points this way). In this regard I must point out that in general I find that many of the sounds and arrangements used apparently to unify the product detract from the songs rather than enhance them. Some of them are IMV entirely out of place in certain tracks (see for instance bridges in LAPOE and ABOY). Basically I mean the overly repetitive reference to Edge's trademark guitar sound of the 80s/early 90s as if to stress that this IS "classic U2", the guitar and keyboard chimes all over the place and many of the keyboard sounds used, make the overall sound somewhat annoying.

My song rating
Vertigo - excellent track - kicks ass. Logical first single, probably won't get all the recognition it deserves as it is being butchered by media overplay. A great tribute to punk - esp The Clash. The "uno, dos, tres, catorce" is excruciating though - thank you Jacknife Lee for sparing us from that one on the remix!

Miracle Drug - definitely at the bottom of my list. Starts off as a killer (first 45 seconds) - U2's ultimate anthem - and suddenly it veers off to the sort of pompous convolution ATYCLB was so full of. The side of U2 I really don't dig. Boring.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - must admit that I wasn't too keen on this one at first but it is a grower - the bridge and final chorus are complete glory. Has lots of potential for live performance. It will definitely become a classic after the tour.

Love & Peace Or Else - One of the best tracks on the album and definitely the most interesting sonically. I'd love to see U2 work in this direction in the future. Led Zep to the hilt. Could have been a good opening track for the album if followed by ABOY. As I've already said, the inclusion of the chime sounds and the style of Bono's singing in the bridge are absolutely annoying - completely out of place with the song and its atmosphere.

City Of Blinding Lights - apparently another leftover from the ACTLYB era. The song itself is not bad but the production (surprisingly in the hands of my admired Flood????) has in my opinion made an absolute mess of it, depriving it from any character. The tremolo guitar (or mandolin) and keyboard sounds are absolutely annoying. Unnecessarily long. Reminds me of Beautiful Day (uggh) in some parts. Definitely at the bottom of my list together with Miracle Drag...er Drug.

All Because Of You - good one, was predictably a single. A tribute to The Who and The Rolling Stones. Could swear I heard the chorus before. Again the inclusion of "classical U2" (Edge's JT guitar and Bono's anthemic singing) in the bridge are somewhat over the top.

A Man And A Woman - really great song in the 70s soul pop tradition a la Barry White and Marvin Gaye, very well rounded off. One of my faves. "The only pain is to feel nothing at all" - one of the best lines on the album.

Crumbs From Your Table - in the ATYCLB line but way more polished. Absolutely "U2". Good track which could benefit from less keyboard layering and chimes all over the place.

One Step Closer - Bono doing Lou Reed. Great track, on its way to general underrating. Could have been a great closing track for the album. It's the chimes again. The song calls for a rawer sound.

Original Of The Species - now we have U2 through The Beatles filter. One of my favourites though the song could have been rounded off a little better - i.e. more simplified. The reference to The Beatles and even to some Bee Gees ballad is a bit too obvious for my taste - it would be OK for Oasis, not U2.

Yahweh - not bad but rather insipid musically speaking. Great lyrics though. Could have been an excellent B-side.

ultraviolet7 said:
My opinion has not changed all that much. To tell the truth I was somewhat disappointed with HTDAAB since I expected something different - more in tune with all the hype that had been kicked up about it being the ultimate rock 'n roll wonder, something which Vertigo seemed to confirm, but as we know was left at that. I don't dislike the album, in fact I like it better than ATYCLB, it needed a time to sink in but I have the feeling that it won't become one of my faves.

My general impression is that whilst there are some good tracks the overall production of the album lacks a clear concept, which in view of the huge diversity of the material was desperately needed. In fact it isn't clear whether this factor was intended to be stressed upon (song order would suggest so) or else concealed (the overall sound points this way). In this regard I must point out that in general I find that many of the sounds and arrangements used apparently to unify the product detract from the songs rather than enhance them. Some of them are IMV entirely out of place in certain tracks (see for instance bridges in LAPOE and ABOY). Basically I mean the overly repetitive reference to Edge's trademark guitar sound of the 80s/early 90s as if to stress that this IS "classic U2", the guitar and keyboard chimes all over the place and many of the keyboard sounds used, make the overall sound somewhat annoying.

My song rating
Vertigo - excellent track - kicks ass. Logical first single, probably won't get all the recognition it deserves as it is being butchered by media overplay. A great tribute to punk - esp The Clash. The "uno, dos, tres, catorce" is excruciating though - thank you Jacknife Lee for sparing us from that one on the remix!

Miracle Drug - definitely at the bottom of my list. Starts off as a killer (first 45 seconds) - U2's ultimate anthem - and suddenly it veers off to the sort of pompous convolution ATYCLB was so full of. The side of U2 I really don't dig. Boring.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - must admit that I wasn't too keen on this one at first but it is a grower - the bridge and final chorus are complete glory. Has lots of potential for live performance. It will definitely become a classic after the tour.

Love & Peace Or Else - One of the best tracks on the album and definitely the most interesting sonically. I'd love to see U2 work in this direction in the future. Led Zep to the hilt. Could have been a good opening track for the album if followed by ABOY. As I've already said, the inclusion of the chime sounds and the style of Bono's singing in the bridge are absolutely annoying - completely out of place with the song and its atmosphere.

City Of Blinding Lights - apparently another leftover from the ACTLYB era. The song itself is not bad but the production (surprisingly in the hands of my admired Flood????) has in my opinion made an absolute mess of it, depriving it from any character. The tremolo guitar (or mandolin) and keyboard sounds are absolutely annoying. Unnecessarily long. Reminds me of Beautiful Day (uggh) in some parts. Definitely at the bottom of my list together with Miracle Drag...er Drug.

All Because Of You - good one, was predictably a single. A tribute to The Who and The Rolling Stones. Could swear I heard the chorus before. Again the inclusion of "classical U2" (Edge's JT guitar and Bono's anthemic singing) in the bridge are somewhat over the top.

A Man And A Woman - really great song in the 70s soul pop tradition a la Barry White and Marvin Gaye, very well rounded off. One of my faves. "The only pain is to feel nothing at all" - one of the best lines on the album.

Crumbs From Your Table - in the ATYCLB line but way more polished. Absolutely "U2". Good track which could benefit from less keyboard layering and chimes all over the place.

One Step Closer - Bono doing Lou Reed. Great track, on its way to general underrating. Could have been a great closing track for the album. It's the chimes again. The song calls for a rawer sound.

Original Of The Species - now we have U2 through The Beatles filter. One of my favourites though the song could have been rounded off a little better - i.e. more simplified. The reference to The Beatles and even to some Bee Gees ballad is a bit too obvious for my taste - it would be OK for Oasis, not U2.

Yahweh - not bad but rather insipid musically speaking. Great lyrics though. Could have been an excellent B-side.

Wow, we need to get this man behind a mixing desk.

I haven't listened to it in a month. :(

I do really like the unreleased stuff from the complete U2 though.

U2girl said:
I'm still loving it. It's very even throughout. I would place it behind JT and AB, and slightly ahead of Zooropa and ATYCLB.

My ranking of songs:

1. Sometimes (next One if you ask me)
2. Original of the species (feels like John and Paul were in the room)
3. One step closer/City of blinding lights (love both)
4. Miracle Drug

are all very good/classic potential songs

Still good

5. Crumbs
6. A man and a woman

OK

7. Love and peace
9. ABOY
10. Vertigo
11. Yahweh

Now that I think about it, I have to change the song order a bit:

Classic candidates:

Sometimes, City and Original

Really good, but that extra something is missing:

One step closer, Crumbs and Drug

OK

A man and a woman, Because, Love and peace

average

Vertigo/Yahweh

As for album ranking I'd have to think about it some more.

HTDAAB: Best U2 album ever.
The Vertigo Tour will reconfirm that.
Its just brilliant. Amazing piece of work

Congratulations U2, for giving us such a masterpiece.
You are the best band of all time.
Keep on, you are so good that maybe a better album is even possible to make........who knows!

Cheers,

N.

it's not bad. not great either.

but it's good, and i can certainly listen to the whole thing.

Still think its the third best U2 album, maybe for me it will eclipse Joshua Tree in time...and now I think Yahweh is clearly the worst song on there, with A Man And A Woman showing ltself to be a really good pop song.

I'd say that Vertigo, Sometimes, Original of The Species, Miracle Drug, COBL, All Because Of You, LAPOE represent a real heavyweight line-up of great songs, probably second only to Achtung Baby.

Crumbs and One Step Closer are like the glue of this album.

These days

1. Yahweh
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. Original of Species
4. Vertigo
5. Miracle Drug
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
7. All Because of You
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. Fast Cars
10. One Step Closer
11. Love and Peace or Else
12. A Man and a Woman

When the album first came out, my top songs were the following...

1. Miracle Drug
2. Original of Species
3. City of Blinding Lights
4. Yahweh
5. Vertigo
6. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
7. One Step Closer
8. All Because of You
9. Fast Cars
10. Love and Peace or Else
11. Crumbs from Your Table
12. A Man and a Woman

In terms of where I rank HTDAAB... it's now equal to ATYCLB and POP for me. Other albums that fall under that category are Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, War, Boy, etc. My favorites are Joshua Tree and Achtung and none of those albums come close to touching either of my favorite albums to me. Album I could care less for is October. Rattle & Hum is also pretty close to the October category but All I Want is You carries that album IMO.

My feelings for HTDAAB so far. Maybe over time, I will like it more but I definitely can't rank it above ATYCLB or POP. Funny thing is, I'm probably one of the few fans that think POP and ATYCLB are pretty much the same quality album.

Last edited:
A masterpiece

This album exceeded my expectations and it was worth the wait. Songs are still growing on me such as miracle drug. I didn't like miracle drug at first but now I've been playing it loud everyday. I still haven't got sick of "Sometimes you can’t make it on your own" and I've heard it about a million times, gotten over the crying stage though. There are many different sounds and feelings on HTDAAB and I keep discovering them more everyday, even though I've had the album for 3 months. It must be having that Joshua Tree effect on me:wink:

g'day

here's my take

1. Crumbs
2. A man and a woman
3. Miracle Drug
4. All because of u
5. Original of the species
6. Vertigo
7. City of Blinding lights
8. Sometimes
9.Yahweh
10.Love and peace or else
11. One step closer

alas this will probably change on the morrow. i listen to it so often and seriously get off on different tracks at different times. cos i like Boy and October so much (best and 3rd best albums imo) i luv the retro sound they've taken back. Prob end up as their 4th best imo behind JT.

Marty

at this point u2 can never top JT and AB. thats just reality !

but i think im going to go out and get htdaab before they come to my city! just to get the feel of the new songs!

It's too comercial and safe, same digested material, half are filler songs. Now i would rather hear 4th of july than last half of HUT DAB, it has its gems but incredibly overrated.
It is one of their best, for lyrics and music, but before U2 didn't care about others and made stuff that we all like and love.
I feel like they hate Pop and because of that hating and fear of not making the same "mistake"(POP :rockon:) and we got an album which is same as ATYCLB. It is better than ATYCLB but it's the same.

It's ok nothing more nothing less imo ands thats final, hold the press though i feel the urge to dance

my rank is:

01) City Of Blinding Lights
- This song is a gift, a present to the fans that stay true to the band until today..every second of this song is a revelation...the dark lyrics (about Bono's eyes in the 82 portray made by Anton), the melody that contains those UF elements with something fresh and new at the same time...it's a very special song.

02) Miracle Drug - one word: masterpeice
03) Original Of The Species
04) Yahweh
05) Sometimes
06) Crumbs From Your Table
07) A Man And A Woman
08) Love And Peace Or Else
09) All Because Of You
10) Vertigo
11) One Step Closer

The only misstep is the lack of Mercy, one of the best "raw" songs U2 has ever made.

Este album me da mucha pena, lástima, desilución, rabia, etc. Son una mezcla de sentimientos que me hacen difícil definir uno solo por separado. U2 nos han ofrecido un remake de All That You Can´t Live Behind, un producto bien elaborado, detallado y fabricado. El problema es que este album es sólo un producto de mercado para vender y vender, y así ganar los tan preciados dólares.

Es realmente una verguenza que la banda tan rebelde de los 80, la que luchaba por la verdad y hablaba por los que son silenciados bajo cualquier tipo de represión - política, económica, social, racial, cultural, etc -, la banda que jamás compartió escena musical con la moda de sus contemporáneos - el glam Rock de los 80, el grunge de los 90, etc - la banda que marcaba la tendencia musical, la banda que llevaba la bandera de la vanguardia e innovación tanto en composición musical, discos, presentaciones en vivo, arte audiovisual, etc... es una verguenza que aquella banda finalmente se haya vendido completamente, vaciando todo interés creativo y artístico por el dinero facil, el status y el renombre U2, ahora transformado en una empresa codiciosa que vende sólo en base a mentiras fabricadas por la misma banda o sus representantes, y en base al nombre U2, usado hasta el cansancio sin ningún respeto por el legado ni por los fans.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb es el documento de una decadencia creativa abismante, de un conformismo exasperante, de una mediocridad sin precedentes. Todas las canciones suenan sacadas de All That You Can´t Leave Behind, con las mismas - antes geniales, ahora aburridas y monótonas - guitarras de The Edge y la producción predecible y barata tipo Radio Hit de Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite y tantos otros.

No existe ninguna canción realmente memorable, salvo City Of Blinding Lights, el resto es sólo una excusa infantil para ir de gira y obtener más y más dinero usando el nombre de U2. Para peor, la forma en que ha sido publicitado este disco es asquerosa: Ipod, críticas de discos probablemente pagadas a todas las revistas musicales importantes, eventos igualmente pagados como Grammy, y todo aquel robo a los fans con los tickets. Claro, ahora piden perdón otorgando más fechas de conciertos ¿ para quiénes ? para ellos mismos, ya que saben que mientras más conciertos hagan más dinero ganarán. Si U2 quisieran pedir perdón de verdad, deberían dar por lo menos 1 concierto por país a visitar absolutamente gratis.

En general, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb es una lástima, un producto desechable de tercera categoría que muestra desde su estúpida portada pseudo Punk la absoluta falta de compromiso e ideas musicales de U2, además de usar a los fans como si fueran números para sus billeteras y cuentas bancarias, estando cómodamente atrapados en All That You Can´t Leave Behind .

ponkine said:
Este album me da mucha pena, lástima, desilución, rabia, etc. Son una mezcla de sentimientos que me hacen difícil definir uno solo por separado. U2 nos han ofrecido un remake de All That You Can´t Live Behind, un producto bien elaborado, detallado y fabricado. El problema es que este album es sólo un producto de mercado para vender y vender, y así ganar los tan preciados dólares.

Es realmente una verguenza que la banda tan rebelde de los 80, la que luchaba por la verdad y hablaba por los que son silenciados bajo cualquier tipo de represión - política, económica, social, racial, cultural, etc -, la banda que jamás compartió escena musical con la moda de sus contemporáneos - el glam Rock de los 80, el grunge de los 90, etc - la banda que marcaba la tendencia musical, la banda que llevaba la bandera de la vanguardia e innovación tanto en composición musical, discos, presentaciones en vivo, arte audiovisual, etc... es una verguenza que aquella banda finalmente se haya vendido completamente, vaciando todo interés creativo y artístico por el dinero facil, el status y el renombre U2, ahora transformado en una empresa codiciosa que vende sólo en base a mentiras fabricadas por la misma banda o sus representantes, y en base al nombre U2, usado hasta el cansancio sin ningún respeto por el legado ni por los fans.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb es el documento de una decadencia creativa abismante, de un conformismo exasperante, de una mediocridad sin precedentes. Todas las canciones suenan sacadas de All That You Can´t Leave Behind, con las mismas - antes geniales, ahora aburridas y monótonas - guitarras de The Edge y la producción predecible y barata tipo Radio Hit de Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite y tantos otros.

No existe ninguna canción realmente memorable, salvo City Of Blinding Lights, el resto es sólo una excusa infantil para ir de gira y obtener más y más dinero usando el nombre de U2. Para peor, la forma en que ha sido publicitado este disco es asquerosa: Ipod, críticas de discos probablemente pagadas a todas las revistas musicales importantes, eventos igualmente pagados como Grammy, y todo aquel robo a los fans con los tickets. Claro, ahora piden perdón otorgando más fechas de conciertos ¿ para quiénes ? para ellos mismos, ya que saben que mientras más conciertos hagan más dinero ganarán. Si U2 quisieran pedir perdón de verdad, deberían dar por lo menos 1 concierto por país a visitar absolutamente gratis.

En general, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb es una lástima, un producto desechable de tercera categoría que muestra desde su estúpida portada pseudo Punk la absoluta falta de compromiso e ideas musicales de U2, además de usar a los fans como si fueran números para sus billeteras y cuentas bancarias, estando cómodamente atrapados en All That You Can´t Leave Behind .

This is an english speaking forum.

I loved it when it came out, and i love it now.
Achtung BAby is still my favorite, and now i would place HTDAAB at 3 just behind JT. ATYCLB is half a step behind hutdab at number 4 on my list.

All i can say is this is a fantastic record to make 25 years into your career.....

As for the song ranking

1. Miracle Drug
2. SYCMIOYO
3. COBL
4. Yahweh
5. Vertigo
6. LAPOE
7. CFYT
8. OOTS
9. ABOY
10.OSC
11. AMAAW