"With bands, if they make an album you don't like, it's all over..." - Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think michael has got a point. a lot of joshua tree lovers stopped caring for u2 when they reinvented themselves with achtung etc. however, i dont think it applies to most diehard fans. i think they (e.g. people that frequent here) will always at least give any new album a try.

I think a lot of you are forgetting that ATYCLB wasn't U2's last album. The Best of 1990-2000 was the last album, and the most recent songs are Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America.

Now, if ATYCLB didn't have one thing, it was a genuine ballad. That's what THTBA was... and in my opinion it was a good song. And I also believe that Electrical Storm was better lyrically and musically than most things on ATYCLB - probably Beautiful Day and Walk On excepted. New York at a push, but I understand why lots of people don't like that song!

So, that augurs well, then.

If I agreed with Bono, I'd never have gotten past October. :wink:

Also, it seems to me that when a new album is out, we have live performances on TV, we have magazine covers, interviews, the tour and that builds up excitement regardless of whether you maybe don't LOVE the new album. ATYCLB is not my favourite album, nor is it my 2nd or 3rd or... you get the point. Many others here seem to feel the same way. However, during the glory days of 2001, we did get swept up in this excitement and that will happen again this time around. And if we don't love the album, it will emerge more vocally after the tour is over and the natural high ends.

bullet the blue sky said:

Now, if ATYCLB didn't have one thing, it was a genuine ballad. That's what THTBA was... and in my opinion it was a good song.

I agree, though maybe I'd pick Ground beneath her feet as the latest designated U2 ballad. (maybe their first since Stay)

ATYCLB will always be special to me because it's what lifted me out of my pop music phase and back to my music roots (when I was in third grade, Discotheque was the only song I'd listen to. Then I slowly got into the rest of Pop, then I got more U2 albums...then I started liking pop music and boybands...then Beautiful Day came along!). Personally I thought it had a great start, then kinda got weaker in the middle (In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth...ehhh), then became strong at the end (with When I Look At The World and New York, Grace not so much, but U2 often goes for the mellow finishes.) I don't understand why so many people don't like it...then again, a lot of people didn't like Pop either... the only U2 album I've come close to not liking is October, and that still has some great tunes (LOVE Gloria.)

Am I looking forward to the new U2 album? Hell yes. Personally I doubt that U2 could release something that I didn't like, but even so it wouldn't kill my love for them (or my Bono!). Even a crap album wouldn't change the fact that all their other albums are good, in fact, it would make them look even better in comparison :p And I would always have hope that they could do better next time, because I know they've done well before ^^ As for movies, well, I don't see movies based on the director alone, or even the actors. I judge it mainly on plot and, well, if it "looks" good. Meanwhile with music, I'll buy an album without even knowing any of the songs just based on the artist (though U2 is really the only band that follows that rule, for me, I suppose.) So there ya go.

Flarez said:
ATYCLB will always be special to me because it's what lifted me out of my pop music phase and back to my music roots (when I was in third grade, Discotheque was the only song I'd listen to. Then I slowly got into the rest of Pop, then I got more U2 albums...then I started liking pop music and boybands...then Beautiful Day came along!). Personally I thought it had a great start, then kinda got weaker in the middle (In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth...ehhh), then became strong at the end (with When I Look At The World and New York, Grace not so much, but U2 often goes for the mellow finishes.) I don't understand why so many people don't like it...then again, a lot of people didn't like Pop either... the only U2 album I've come close to not liking is October, and that still has some great tunes (LOVE Gloria.)

Am I looking forward to the new U2 album? Hell yes. Personally I doubt that U2 could release something that I didn't like, but even so it wouldn't kill my love for them (or my Bono!). Even a crap album wouldn't change the fact that all their other albums are good, in fact, it would make them look even better in comparison :p And I would always have hope that they could do better next time, because I know they've done well before ^^ As for movies, well, I don't see movies based on the director alone, or even the actors. I judge it mainly on plot and, well, if it "looks" good. Meanwhile with music, I'll buy an album without even knowing any of the songs just based on the artist (though U2 is really the only band that follows that rule, for me, I suppose.) So there ya go.

:applaud:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom