Wild Nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just so you know, this was pretty much the extent of the crowd at Chairlift:

IMG_20120806_003552.jpg

Well...that review was only a little painful. It's like they were looking for something to nit-pick so they latched onto the lyrics, which, let's face it, aren't his strong suit, but they picked the strangest lyrics to bitch about:

Which makes it strange that his ambitions as a melodic tunesmith aren't matched by his lyrics. Successfully writing like Robert Smith can be just as tricky as doing a decent Morrissey, which becomes clear every time Nocturne crosses an invisible line where a tiny bit of editing would pay off: "Paradise" contains the sensible-sounding, yet bafflingly mixed metaphor "velvet tongue so sweet", while "Only Heather" rhymes first and asks questions later: "I couldn't explain it/ I won't even try/ She is so lovely she makes me feel high."

BTW and FTR, for those of you playing at home, that's 2 for 2 on BNM'd LPs.

I probably could have put more acronyms in this post if I'd wanted to, TBH.

I'm sure it was I love you but your bringing me down, but who really knows. Now he has an excuse at any rate.

Procured my ticket. This will actually be my first time to the Empty Bottle, for a concert anyway.

(Mofo, if you were willing to come all the way out to Chicago for a concert, you'd be more than welcome as well)

I've done it before, but Wild Nothing and DIIV admittedly aren't on the same level as U2. :wink:

I got a great hour of music from these guys last night. And yeah, there were possibly 50 people there. Second appearance in less than two months, I think, and will probably never play here again. DIIV was a no show, which hurt.

The new material is solid, and I recognized a good bit of it from their tour opening for Beach House. I really enjoyed Nocturne, This Chain Won't Break, with its Big Country drums, and The Blue Dress.

Consider buying the vinyl because the artwork is pretty great. There are six different variations of the book-liner prints on lyric sheets, and the front of the album is a window, so you can choose your favorite panel for the album cover. I wish they had the deluxe vinyl last night, but I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom