Who hates Achtung Baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Well, I just wanna know how many people here hate or dislike one of U2's masterpieces: Achtung Baby!

I don't hate it, I love it...that's for sure. I know Axver hates it, but is there anybody else??

Zootlesque said:
rjbonovox doesn't hate Achtung... he loves it, but not as much as Teh Bomb! ;)

I was only joshing with yah.....who can hate the greatest theres ever been!:wink:

tpsglick2424 said:
Nope, and that's because Axver is one of a kind...:coocoo: :tsk:

I'm not. I know a number of other folks who hate Achtung, including Interference's liamcool. I don't know if Screendoor still visits this forum, but I know he doesn't hold Achtung in high regard either; he considers it dated and ranks it pretty lowly, though I don't think he "hates" it.

And for the record, Achtung has four great songs: UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness. Most of the rest is forgettable. I cannot comprehend why people here rank this album so highly; maybe you're all listening to a different album.

Axver said:
Achtung has four great songs: UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness. Most of the rest is forgettable. I cannot comprehend why people here rank this album so highly; maybe you're all listening to a different album.

:yawn:

i agree with what axver posted.

i don't hate achtung, but it's never been one of my favorites.

not even close.

I love Achtung baby, Way better than Zooropa. The whole album is great, far superior than Zooropa.

Love it to pieces. The very first time I heard it I thought "man, this is my favorite album."

HOWEVER.....I think that someone without my bias could definatley find it a tad dated. It does have a sort of early 90's alternative vibe to it.

ACHTUNG has great songs, just in the wrong order.

I'd rearrange them like so...

ZOO Station
The FLY
ULTRAVIOLET
Mysterious WAYS
Even BETTER Than The REAL Thing
Until THE End Of The WORLD
Whose GONNA Ride Your WILD Horses
So CRUEL
TRYING To Throw Your ARMS Around The WORLD
ACROBAT
ONE
Love IS Blindness

Axver said:

I'm not. I know a number of other folks who hate Achtung, including Interference's liamcool. I don't know if Screendoor still visits this forum, but I know he doesn't hold Achtung in high regard either; he considers it dated and ranks it pretty lowly, though I don't think he "hates" it.

And for the record, Achtung has four great songs: UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, and Love Is Blindness. Most of the rest is forgettable. I cannot comprehend why people here rank this album so highly; maybe you're all listening to a different album.

I hope with Axver's response, people can now understand how some of us also feel about U2's other "masterpiece" - namely my views on JT. In other words, swap some songs around, and what Axver said about AB, I'd say about JT.

tpsglick2424 said:
you forgot One, Axver:wink:

:shudder: What a terrible, terrible song. When I want to listen to WOWY, I'll listen to WOWY, not its shadow.

I was being when i said One to you because I think this whole site knows that you hate that song..:wink:

I dont mind the song at all, I just hate the 20 minute lecture before the song on how to sign up on the one campaign:|

tpsglick2424 said:
I dont mind the song at all, I just hate the 20 minute lecture before the song on how to sign up on the one campaign:|

To your first post: I knew you were being sarcastic, but any chance to rip on One ... :wink:

To the post I quoted: Bono would make his point far more effectively if he chose one or two succinct sentences that get straight to the point.

Screwtape2 said:

You can't possibly belief that One was a failed attempt at WOWY?

No, I don't believe U2 were consciously trying to recreate WOWY or anything of the sort. However, they do employ a similar formula: for example, they are emotionally heavy ballads that start off softly and conclude with minimalistic solos that fade out rather than reaching a climax (but do reach a climax live and feature an unreleased verse).

In WOWY's case, I think U2 succeeded and made a powerful song. I don't think it's even in the top five or six songs on JT, but it still does exactly what it should do. One, however, is a failure in my eyes. I really, really dislike it. The lyrics bug me, Bono's singing is unimpressive, and I find the instrumentation to be largely boring. It fails to stir any emotions in me except apathy.

WOWY sucks. Seriously, that song is a waste of plastic. It's minimalism gone too far; it doesn't border on musical laziness, it jumps the canyon to the other side willingly. The lyrics are great, but musically, there's nothing there to be proud of.

One is the opposite to me. It isn't just 4 basic chords repeated over and over; it's gorgeous. I like WOWY's lyrics better, but musically, it's not even a contest.

One pwns WOWY. :wink:

I think both are great. And very different. I'm surprised they are being compared in such a way. I also don't think U2 intended for One to become the song it did.

Yes, lots. There are lots of fans who went off U2 in the 90s. Some returned with ATYCLB, some didn't. There are plenty that have left here post Bomb as well. I remember the arguments around here when Pop was released. Plenty of people were of the belief that U2 was the Joshua Tree and everything else was a fraud that was taking too long to die. It happens with every swing in sound. I would have loved a place like this to exist the day The Fly was first heard. With each one that leaves though, 2 arrive. I think we lost a truckload of people here after ATYCLB and the Bomb, but gained so many more.

Earnie Shavers said:
Yes, lots. There are lots of fans who went off U2 in the 90s. Some returned with ATYCLB, some didn't. There are plenty that have left here post Bomb as well. I remember the arguments around here when Pop was released. Plenty of people were of the belief that U2 was the Joshua Tree and everything else was a fraud that was taking too long to die. It happens with every swing in sound. I would have loved a place like this to exist the day The Fly was first heard. With each one that leaves though, 2 arrive. I think we lost a truckload of people here after ATYCLB and the Bomb, but gained so many more.

Stupid question - You talk about Interference as though you've been here for a long time, since the Pop days, but your registration date reads as June 2004...what gives? :wink:

Well thats easy - different names. Originally I was registered under something stupid, like 'Aussie Matt', something like that. Went away for a while and lost access to that account. Then the highly original 'Tyler Durden' was my name after Fight Club came out, so I guess that was 2000 or so? Then let that one and the email address it was attached to slide, so came back as Earnie Shavers in 2004. So basically, I've got a pretty good pattern going of registering every time an album is about to drop, and then letting it slide.

Earnie Shavers said:
With each one that leaves though, 2 arrive. I think we lost a truckload of people here after ATYCLB and the Bomb, but gained so many more.

There might be a problem in your logic. People might have discovered U2 through ATYCLB or Bomb but it is more likely that the past catalogue hooked them. I don't think U2 loses fans. People can not like a certain album and still be a fan. If this site is indication, people who didn't like ATYCLB and Bomb are still fans.

thrillme said:
Perhaps not on this forum but I've seen others who say they liked the 80's U2, but everything since is not so great.

:yes:

Adn theu2fly, that's an alright order, but you can't seperate Acrobat and Love is Blindness! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom