Which Artist To You Is The "Female Bono"? Mine's Avril.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm gonna say madonna. lots of classic songs, lots of reinventing her image. that said, there's no comparison in terms of who's music is better imo(u2).

Don't you have to be taken seriously to be a Female Bono? Avril Lavigne is a whiny childlike girl. While I applaud her for having more to do with her second album than her first -- she has certainly not shown her mettle yet as an artist. It's way too early to pinpoint her future just yet.

But here's a question - if Jick's Female Bono is Avril, who is all of 19 or 20, are we addressing just young people here, or can we name actual, establish adult females as our Female Bono?

If yes, then my picks are PJ Harvey and Tori Amos.

I don't know that I can play this game correctly. Ah well.

Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley would make a good female Bono, their music has political/rebellious touch to it, she kindof has that Rock Star personality too.
They have already dabbled in with experimentation on their music, also. She plays a little guitar (like Bono) and has a great guitar player who occassionaly sings (Edge).
I think Rilo Kiley's career resembles U2 as they are rising stars, while Avril was shot into stardom right away.

I think Gwen Stefani is right too since she gets all the attention like Bono does.

I'd have to go with Patti Smith (not to be confused with Patty Smyth). She is an amazing writer and performer with similar views.

Um, Avril isn't even part of a real band. That (and a LONG list of other things) rules her out for me.

Honestly there's not many female singers I'm into besides the Indigo Girls, who are NOT like U2 at all, and Eva Cassidy, who is dead. I guess I'd agree w/ Gwen Stefani...

There isn't one. I can't think of one who writes as well as Bono, can command an audience of thousands the way Bono does, and has the charisma of Bono.

Avril lacks all these things.:|

I cant even really think of another artist male or female in the history of music that is much like him never mind a current one.

HelloAngel said:
Don't you have to be taken seriously to be a Female Bono? Avril Lavigne is a whiny childlike girl. While I applaud her for having more to do with her second album than her first -- she has certainly not shown her mettle yet as an artist. It's way too early to pinpoint her future just yet.

But here's a question - if Jick's Female Bono is Avril, who is all of 19 or 20, are we addressing just young people here, or can we name actual, establish adult females as our Female Bono?

If yes, then my picks are PJ Harvey and Tori Amos.

I don't know that I can play this game correctly. Ah well.

Tori Amos has little audience and she is one of the artsy ones. Perhaps she can compare to a female Thom Yorke.

When you say female Bono, she has to be mainstream and commercially successful. She has to be pop.

I think another person just made a strong case for Madonna. I'd say Madonna is just like the current Bono, been through so many reinventions and is a performer of the first degree.

Avril just reminds me of a young Bono. Not to mention she also is vertically-challenged like Bono and make a sound much bigger than her size.

Let's give Avril a couple of more albums to prove her mettle as a pop/rock artist and fulfill her calling to be the next Bono. Even if she doesn't fulfill that calling, I still think my choice of her is a reasonable one.

At least Avril is being herself now and now the skater punk she originally tried to be.

Cheers,

J

Avril has refused to lip sync from day one, and she is raw and herself live. I never considered her a poser, as so many people have in the past. She always seemed to be herself, IMO.

I do think that Bono was a lot more worldly at her age. I'd have to hear a lot more from her (outside of just her music, which I do like a lot) before I could consider her in the same universe as Bono, much less the same class. But it is way too early to count her out.

At this point, I cannot think of anyone, male or female, who comes close to Bono. He is quite unique in so many ways.

Actually, the only person in history who even approaches him in reinventing himself, or in having so many public personas or roles is...Benjamin Franklin. Weird.

TheBrush said:
gwen stefani.....

she has the chest size equal to bono

:lmao:

Bono is the first of his kind and I'd be really happy that there would be others (though I doubt there will).

Jick I hate what you've done with Bono's photo (on your avatar). Why did you do it?

jick said:
And at this age she chooses a more raw and rocking sound

I don't think she CHOOSES anything. She's as manufactured as Britney Spears, just marketed to a different audience.
And nothing like Bono.

Natalie Merchant, except now she's solo so misses that criterion. Or Melissa Etheridge...most of the women you'd think of are solo artists actually. Madonna is a good one actually...better than Gwen Stefani & Avril anyway.

ZeroDude said:

Touche, I will not question your identity anymore:wink:

Keep questioning I would say. Jick may be in the Phillipines, but he has the sarcasm of a true Englishman!!

Some of the comments about people like Avril Lavigne and Gwen Stefani being in the same league as Bono are frankly rather silly.

Fiona Apple maybe or Kristin Hersch, or possibly Sheryl Crow as suggested above.

yimou said:

You can´t compare Gwen with Bono, unless you are drunk,,, and the same goes for Avril.

Indeed, or maybe taking hallucinogenic substances. Or possibly tone deaf.

Gwen Stefani absolutely murdered an excellent Talk Talk song a while back.

financeguy said:

Oh, man - I heard that in a record shop, yesterday. That is a perfect example of the glaring hubris of singers who sell millions of records. They suddenly think any remake they come up with must be as good as the original.

Oh - somebody else mentioned Shirley Manson. When I saw Garbage back in '98, Shirley Manson gave the most engaging, energetic, charismatic, badass performance I've ever seen from a female performer. She took no prisoners. I don't know if it makes her a feamle Bono, but it certainly makes her fucking awesome.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Agreed - her version was enough to make anyone's ears bleed.

As for Avril - she's a talentless little manufactured muppet.

Back
Top Bottom