Which album do you think is the most top heavy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I just wanted to start this thread because I wanted to see if some people favoured albums even though they think the top half is far better.

Personally I think War is U2's most top heavy album. In my opinion, the first five tracks are the album's best. SBS, Seconds, NYD, Like a Song and Drowning Man. The second half just isn't as good for me. The Refugee and Red Light I'm not a big fan of, or Surrender, 40 is a pretty good track, but I reckon THBAO is the best track on 'side 2'.

What do you guys think?

For sure ATYCLB... but than again I havent listened to the last few tracks recently! I should do it againa s they may be very good.

War is KINDA top heavy, but I really do like Refugee and Two Hearts. Zooropa too... I don't like the album TOO much overall, but the first 5 tracks are incredible (except Babyface.. its alright but not as good as the others)

Definately is not Achtung or Joshua... both incredible albums start to finish. Same with HTDAAB (in my opinion, haters screw off!)

I'm weird, I tend to like the second sides better than the first ones....

Anyway, ATYCLB and Zooropa are the most top heavy in terms of singles, and popular songs, even if those aren't the best ones. And of course, how can we forget the Joshua Tree who's first 5 songs are all fan favorites/hits?

Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, ATYCLB

War wins for me. 5 great songs in side A. 2 great and 3 awful on side B.

Joshua Tree is a close 2nd... the side B isn't weak at any point (IGC, OTH :drool: ) but the first five songs are just classic...

LemonMelon said:

Anyway, ATYCLB and Zooropa are the most top heavy in terms of singles, and popular songs, even if those aren't the best ones. And of course, how can we forget the Joshua Tree who's first 5 songs are all fan favorites/hits?

That's a good point, some people are going to gravitate towards the singles, which are in most cases near the front.

But with ATYCLB, I just don't think they had the songs, period.

Zooropa, to me is pretty consistent.
I don't see any sway to the running order other than, you got the singles up front. To me an appreciation for Zooropa or Numb shouldn't be all that removed from an appreciation for Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay.

I'll have to throw one in for ATYCLB

Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In a Little While

Wi l
d H on ey
Pe ace On E arth
Wh e
n I L ook at the
Worl d
N e
w Yo rk
Gr ac e

(^my top heavy illustration)

I'm not an ATYCLB hater by any means though, still like the album.

I was considering October as well, but then decided that it's pretty consistent throughout.

ATYCLB definitely, no question for me...POP is a close runner up...I can understand some people saying UF is top heavy but it's still one of my favorites...JT and War are really amazing all the way through (at least to me), Zooropa I love for sentimental reasons so I can't be objective on that one :wink:, and AB is flawless from start to finish!! :drool:

Joshua Tree in terms of singles, etc. simply because they open the album with the three biggest singles off it!

In terms of Musical Quality, I'd say Pop. Just gets a little 'dull' towards the end and I keep feeling there should be something else there, don't get me wrong the songs are fine but for some reason sides 3-4 just seem to drag!

"lol"....

namkcuR said:
How can Pop be top-heavy when two of its very best songs(Gone and Please) are on the second half of it?

'Please', fine...the rest isn't anything amazing, whereas you've got 'DiscoTheque', 'Mofo', etc. [which are still hollow empty tracks compared to the way they were played live]

Zooropa. If you ask me, the top five songs are Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Stay, and The Wanderer, and four of those are in the first five.

I think you can make the case for pretty much every album being a side heavy. Not to say the b sides aren't good, just it seems like their iconic songs and biggest singles all came from A sides (with the exception of Achtung Baby). it seems like there definately is a distinct preference for the opening of albums and letting it trail off to varying degrees.

Maybe the question is which album has the weakest b side? I'd say ATYCLB. With the occasional exception of WILATW, I don't even bother with it.

haha, for a minute I thought you were saying that albums were split into A/B sides in terms of quality like a 7" single! :lol:

I guess ATYCLb has a fairly weak b-side. But I have TGBHF, which is a 10/10 track for me. I think AB and HTDAAB are their most consistent albums.

ATYCLB, AB

ATYCLB- Some of the last songs are unbarable to listen to, thankfully you can just eject the CD and not have to waste energy pressing the skip button

AB- Great Great album, but without Acrobat towards the end I'd take out the CD after Mysterious Ways because most of those last 4 songs are EW :barf:

Without a doubt ATYCLB....how it switches from Kite to the rest of those songs...I'll never understand, but I still love the album because it was my first :love:

Back
Top Bottom