Where's the damned new U2 album? Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree with you all. Not so long ago I wrote an entry in my website talking exactly that SoA was probably dead. I really think that the album was almost finished... I mean, Paul McGuinness was talked like the album was in his finished touches.

And even earlier this year Larry talked about two albums being released ( but again, even Larry is in a low position now, haha). We all know that U2 are creatures of habits. That was said numerous times, and it's true.

Until now, I guess. I only witnessed the birth of two albums (HTDAAB and NLOTH), but I don't remember neither being like this. Even with NLOTH being delayed, we knew that a new album was going to be released soon. There was a hype about that, back then, we knew much more than we do now about this one (couldn't resist)....

So, what I'm saying that I think things are completely different this time. We all knew that U2 was working in three/four different albums, one was released. I think SoA (or any variation of that one) is still going to see daylight, maybe b-side? Deluxe edition with two albuns? I really don't know....

I remember being absolutely frightened at the idea of my favorite band releasing a single called "Sexy Boots".

Yes - I cringed - prayed it wasn't so - yet, there it was.

A true warning sign if there ever was one.

The Fly was then - and remains today - the best first single of all time.

Agreed. Talk about a period in time where the band was just hitting on all cylinders.

Agreed. Talk about a period in time where the band was just hitting on all cylinders.

That album was pure perfection if I'd ever seen it. To this day, JT is a sentimental album for me for many reasons, but AB is my true favorite and that era was amazing. I wish I'd been a bit older and been able to truly 'get' it, but seeing as how parts of 360 were Zoo 2.0 I can't complain. :shifty:

I was a senior in high school when AB came out. I felt like I discovered One before anyone I knew. I just kept coming back to that 3rd track.

I was 12 years old and played that album every day for my entire spring break. Also would play the fly single, lounge mix.

All out of my dads stereo system. Luckily it was summer and no one was home in my apartment complex.

Wasn't really old enough to understand the whole zoo tv stuff till later, I just knew that this album was the coolest thing I had ever heard

I'm now 75% certain it'll be 2014 before we see a new album, and that number climbs every day we hear nothing. Mainly because we've heard NOTHING positive about a 2013 release since last winter. This is U2 we're talking about. They're gonna chicken out. They're gonna have Lillywhite do his thing. They're gonna delay the album until next spring.

I'll bet that Danger Mouse won't look back fondly on this experience. I think he's used to getting results, not U2's plodding progress.

And anybody who thinks we're going to see 2 albums released in quick succession is certainly living in a fantasy world. I know Larry said the album would be released in November, with a followup shortly after, but that was back in JANUARY, and we've heard little else since then. The album after this one will be released in the 2018 era.

Nah, they're quiet because they're finishing it. Too busy working to worry about notifying everyone and their grandma through social media.

And I was only 7 when AB came out, but I was hooked. Much like my own boy nowadays...he rocks out to Pink Floyd, MJ, AC-DC, Queen, and of course, U2. :wink:

Given the lack of Bonoisms on this album, I think a gag order has been imposed. If Bononhad been prattling on for months and then sudden silence, then there'd be worries.

It seems, for now, that silence is part of the build up. They want this to be different, to stand out, and saying nothing, for them, is saying a lot.

Of course, someone could have said "don't hear a single" and it's 2014.

But for now, it's all part of the plan.

I think I may be one of the most cynical people on this site, but I think there is no reason they'd wait until 2014.

As has already been said, it's telling that Bono would urge Gay Byrne to broadcast his episode outside of the regular seasoned schedule. They both know this would be a major disruption to the show, and Byrne more or less went out of his way to make that happen. Bono was confident that an album release would otherwise conflict with the broadcast of the episode, confident enough that he was adamant about releasing the episode now. A quick Google search did not come up with the expected schedule for season 8 of The Meaning of Life, of which Bono's episode is the first and so far only - someone here might know this (I'm guessing late 2013). We would then know roughly when Bono expected to release the album.

I think I may be one of the most cynical people on this site, but I think there is no reason they'd wait until 2014.

As has already been said, it's telling that Bono would urge Gay Byrne to broadcast his episode outside of the regular seasoned schedule. They both know this would be a major disruption to the show, and Byrne more or less went out of his way to make that happen. Bono was confident that an album release would otherwise conflict with the broadcast of the episode, confident enough that he was adamant about releasing the episode now. A quick Google search did not come up with the expected schedule for season 8 of The Meaning of Life, of which Bono's episode is the first and so far only - someone here might know this (I'm guessing late 2013). We would then know roughly when Bono expected to release the album.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Bono said the MoL had to air well before the release- the originally intended broadcast time was roughly the time he expected the album to come out. Knowing the broadcast schedule might give us his ETA.

Incidentally it's fun to see how everyone remembers exactly where they were when AB dropped, like the Kennedy assassination or something.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

If Bono thinks that there is a chance that the album could come in early 2014, and season 8 of Gay Byrne was in late 2013, there would likely be no conflict between publicity for either.

According to Wikipedia,
season 5: Jan 2012
season 6: Oct. 2012
season 7: Jan. 2013
Gay Byrne releases two seasons a year. If he keeps this schedule, the next season should probably be Oct. 2013. Since Bono was pushing hard for his episode not to be shown during the regular seasoned schedule, we can conclude that Bono (at least at the time of the filming) was confident that the album would come out around Oct. 2013; at least, he was very sure (then!) that the album wouldn't be delayed until 2014. Since Bono is banking on this, I doubt there'd be a chance that he'd suddenly turn around and say, "Oops, sorry - you could have shown the episode with all the others. We decided to delay the album after all."

Just because it's expected doesn't mean they will be happy with that when the deadline approaches. They can always change their minds. For them this album has to be pretty great to seem like a comeback to the general audience that didn't develop interest in NLOTH.

"You have to reject one expression of the band first before you get to the next expression, and inbetween you have nothing. You have to risk it all." ~ Bono ~ From the sky down

Talk about sticking your neck out.

If Bono thinks that there is a chance that the album could come in early 2014, and season 8 of Gay Byrne was in late 2013, there would likely be no conflict between publicity for either.

According to Wikipedia,
season 5: Jan 2012
season 6: Oct. 2012
season 7: Jan. 2013
Gay Byrne releases two seasons a year. If he keeps this schedule, the next season should probably be Oct. 2013. Since Bono was pushing hard for his episode not to be shown during the regular seasoned schedule, we can conclude that Bono (at least at the time of the filming) was confident that the album would come out around Oct. 2013; at least, he was very sure (then!) that the album wouldn't be delayed until 2014. Since Bono is banking on this, I doubt there'd be a chance that he'd suddenly turn around and say, "Oops, sorry - you could have shown the episode with all the others. We decided to delay the album after all."

What I mean is that I've never heard of this show you're talking about.

U2 have never intended to delay any of their albums. This kind of behavior goes all the way back to 1986, when they felt JT wasn't ready for a fall release and pushed it back to spring 87. Pop was to come out fall 1996, Chris Thomas album was supposed to be fall 2003, NLOTH was fall 2008. Regardless of when some show did/did not air, U2 can still delay the album at any point for any reason. Who's gonna argue with them? The label? They're U2! They're lucky to have a band that has a built in audience that will ensure at least a few million album sales worldwide, and the label is going to kiss their ass at this point.

I hate being cynical about this, I really do. I want a U2 album this fall. I just don't feel confident. Some news from somebody in the know would be nice right about now.

There's still no certainty that they won't delay, and I'm not saying that it's 100% impossible. But Bono at least seems to have gone to some length to prepare for an album release late this year. Delaying isn't something he or the rest of the band would do lightly, especially now that other people (Gay Byrne) are involved. They are "perfectionists," but from what little we can see, they don't seem unsure. It seems like they hit upon something they really like, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, and they probably wouldn't (shouldn't) feel a need to make last-minute changes out of any kind of uncertainty.

I'm not as aware of how things work in the music industry as probably most of the rest of you, but I'm giving it 5 more weeks to hear something concrete. My original prediction for a few months now has been "single in mid-Sept, album in late Oct." Once we hit mid-September and we have nothing, I lose all hope. Right now, my gut feeling is still at about 80% for this year.

Call me a pessimist, but all these "we'll have album news by *inserttimehere*" posts just seem like desperation by some (and I honestly don't mean that in a condescending way). Being this is my first new album experience with this band, I really have no idea how they work with timeframes, so I'm not going to make any "predictions", but I can't help but think that some people might be setting themselves up for disappointment.

I guess I don't see a point in creating makeshift deadlines for news releases. I'm not gonna count out a new album just because we hear nothing with a full 3 months left in the year. And even so, there's not a major difference between November 2013 and January/February 2014.

Just my two cents.

/soapbox

For all we know U2 are really changing things up this time and all the sudden you could wake up tomorrow and hear that they are dropping the album within days (like what radiohead) did with the last album! No hype no nOthing! Given u2's track record this probably will not happen but given that their last release was not as great in part due to all the hype etc, maybe just maybe this time they will say fuck it! But still unlikely for them to do that I guess.

Call me a pessimist, but all these "we'll have album news by *inserttimehere*" posts just seem like desperation by some (and I honestly don't mean that in a condescending way). Being this is my first new album experience with this band, I really have no idea how they work with timeframes, so I'm not going to make any "predictions", but I can't help but think that some people might be setting themselves up for disappointment.

I guess I don't see a point in creating makeshift deadlines for news releases. I'm not gonna count out a new album just because we hear nothing with a full 3 months left in the year. And even so, there's not a major difference between November 2013 and January/February 2014.

Just my two cents.

/soapbox

The thing is, people here know that if it won't be November, it will be February at the very earliest. Seemingly December and January are out of bounds due to Christmas and the inevitably weak January market.
Joshua Tree, Pop and NLOTH were all released in the first days of March, so if this album gets delayed expect something similar. Unless of course they start from scratch :doh:

But then a delay would screw up touring plans which by now would be in a planning stage. I'm sure the the plan is to start in US arenas in March, due European stadiums in Summer and back to US in the fall to do another leg of either arenas or stadiums, depending on demand. A delay would mean starting the tour at the Europe leg, having the first US leg after that and then having to come back the next year, which is what happened to 360 when NLOTH got delayed. I'm sure they are aware of this and realise this album needs to be out this year.

Just my two cents.

/soapbox

I disagree. There is a big difference in November 2013 and February 2014- when U2 is your favorite band, and you've waited longer than ever for an album, and you're getting either no news or inconsistent news of where they're at in the process, it can get frustrating. As has been said here already, U2 are creatures of habit. It might be late-October or sometime in November, but it certainly ain't gonna be December. Or January. Or the first 3 weeks of February. It would be spring, at best, if they don't decide to scrap what they have.

I think it's a combination of the unprecedented time interval, the silence/stealthiness, and the overall frustration with the way the band operates sometimes. I'm not going to frown upon people for making their own deadlines of when to stop waiting by the mailbox, so to speak. Like I said in my other post, for me it's mid-September. Then I leave Interference and my search for U2 news alone for a few months, and focus my time elsewhere.

On the 'theory' that more information would somehow mean there wasn't a delay.

The album title AND single was known earlier in 2008 than in 2000 and 2004.

August 15, 2008
By: Kathy McCabe

U2 frontman Bono has inadvertently given French fans a preview of their new album, which is reportedly called No Line On The Horizon.

Cheeky fans wandering near the Irish singer and activist's home in Eze, in the south Of France, heard his distinctive voice booming out of the family's villa and recorded clips of it on a mobile phone.

Song snippets of the previously unreleased tracks are on YouTube and fans now expect they will on the supergroup's 12th studio record, out on November 15.

While the band are yet to confirm the mooted album moniker, their record company Universal, has registered the domain name nolineonthehorizon.com

British newspapers have reported song titles for the record include "For Your Love," "Love is All We Have Left," "One Bird," "Moment of Surrender," "If I Could Live My Life Again" and "The Cedars of Lebanon."

Their first single is believed to be called "Sexy Boots" but it will more likely be the title track, for which their longtime visual collaborator, control director Anton Corbijn has shot a video.

And then there is this - 16 days later.

September 01, 2008
By: Tom Doyle

As if to spotlight the pace with which U2 are close to completing their as-yet-untitled 12th album, Q's phone call to Edge is delayed by half an hour while he lays down an acoustic guitar overdub at the quartet's Dublin studio on a new song called "Get On Your Boots."

"Then we can put the mix to bed," the guitarist sighs with satisfaction. So this album is being completed as we speak? "Yeah. It's happening live in real time. It's totally frantic."

Having effectively abandoned their initial plan to work with Rick Rubin (although some material has survived), U2 took the unusual move of bringing in their long-time producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois as co-writers early on. "We thought, If we're all writing together we'll get more stuff and it'll be a more fruitful use of time," Edge says.

Experimental writing sessions held last year in Fez, Morocca, yielded numerous new songs. Some -- with the introduction of local musicians -- bear a distinctly North African flavour. A visit to the World Sacred Music Festival enhanced what Edge calls the "religious-sounding" tone of a few of the tracks. "But we don't want to be musical tourists," the guitarist states. "We came back with a certain flavour and influence of that trip and a sense of freedom."

As time went on, the music grew ever more diverse and spontaneous. "We wanted to give it some variety," Edge says. "There is some dark, heavy stuff but there are also some lighter things. Some we've really had to sweat to get and some just came so easily." Work-in-progress highlights include "f--k-off live rocker" "Breathe"; "For Your Love," which Edge says is one of his best-ever riffs; and the aforementioned "Get On Your Boots" ("Eddie Cochran with barbershop harmonies").

Other notable tracks include the eight-minute-long "Moment of Surrender" and "No Line on the Horizon," inspired by a distortion box called Death By Audio recommended by ex-Secret Machines guitarist Ben Curtis.

Opinion is currently divided as to whether the album will make a pre- or post-Christmas release. Anticipation couldn't be higher, however, with mixer Steve Lillywhite having already proclaimed the record "their best yet."

"Trying to weave it all together into a coherent collection is the challenge," Edge admits. "But, yeah, it has the potential to be our best."

Look at all that info.
Two days later

September 03, 2008
By: Jonathan Cohen

Initially expected this fall as a fourth-quarter blockbuster, U2's next album has been pushed to early 2009 while the band continues to write and record material.

Everybody who is freaking out needs to go read that post again.

#WeWill

Everybody who is freaking out needs to go read that post again.

#WeWill

I've had to make a few of those posts lately.

The thing about 2003 and 2008 was...they never stopped recording. It's easier to delay the album when you keep messing with the songs. There isn't a SINGLE indication the band have recorded since they were in NYC. If someone can prove they are still fucking with the songs, well, that changes things.

Until then, U2's history has told us that we are likely within two weeks of hearing some information. I would guess the week of Aug 17th-24th. If it gets beyond that, I will STFU about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom