Whats your favorite sport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote or Die

• Baseball

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • NFL Football

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Futbol

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Hockey

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • College Football

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • College Basketball

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • NBA Basketball

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Cricket

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Curling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Olympics

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Boxing

• UFC

• Fake Wrestling

• Lingerie Bowl

• Other

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
I don't understand why "American football" is trashed while no one trashes soccer/football. Neither should be trashed at all, and it just shows ignorance to say it's not "real" or anything like that.

Take a wild guess! :wink:

And I think comparing American football and football and saying one is better than other is just ridiculous. It's like comparing leagues, just creates a lot of tension and it gets nowhere. People like different sports....get over it! :)

Last edited:
Chizip said:

:lol:

When I was eight, I wrote Mr. T a letter telling him how great and misunderstood he was as a human being. I received an autographed A-Team picture in return :drool:

I guess what constitutes a 'real' sport is highly debatable. Marbles could be a sport in some foreign land we don't know about. I'm open to pretty much anything, except squirrel-shooting, or that kind of thing.

The only sport I truly understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H_3GAJD28 :heart:

Last edited:
Voted NFL football...

Baseball is freaking boring.
You can't watch futbol out here in the states.
Watching basketball is dull (though I must say that I excell at, and enjoy playing it)
Anything college at all is boring.
Lingerie bowl isn't shown out here either. :|

why the hell does NFL football... ok, football gets that name, when they RARELY use the foot to touch the ball? :|

FUTBOL rules!!!

then WRESTLING!!!

take this, chizip
ShawnMichaelsSuperElbowDrop.jpg

Last edited:
No one said that American Football isn't a real sport. It just shouldn't be called football. In the same way that Australian football and Rugby shouldn't be called football.

In real football AKA soccer, you use your foot 98% of the time. In other codes of football, you use it less than 50% of the time. It just makes sense.

I call American football Gridiron...

Wrestling isn't a sport because it's fake, unless it's graeco-roman

intedomine said:
No one said that American Football isn't a real sport. It just shouldn't be called football. In the same way that Australian football and Rugby shouldn't be called football.

In real football AKA soccer, you use your foot 98% of the time. In other codes of football, you use it less than 50% of the time. It just makes sense.

I call American football Gridiron...

Wrestling isn't a sport because it's fake, unless it's graeco-roman

Sorry but i have to butt in. Extremely rarely in AFL do you use your foot any less than say 60%.

Any side who ends up with more handballs than kicks loses.

And Soccer is terrible. Any sport where players kick the ball up and down for 90 minutes and finish in a nil-all draw is not for me. Boring as hell.

COBL_04 said:

Sorry but i have to butt in. Extremely rarely in AFL do you use your foot any less than say 60%.

Any side who ends up with more handballs than kicks loses.

And Soccer is terrible. Any sport where players kick the ball up and down for 90 minutes and finish in a nil-all draw is not for me. Boring as hell.

Handballs are much more common in the modern footy game (and usually more effective). Tackles are a massive part of the game, they are more about going for the player than the ball, and one must not forget hitouts and other one-percenters.

A goal in AFL is a cheap thrill. Rarely anything to get excited about. And the less goals scored in a soccer game, the more the tension builds towards the end of the match. And what's with behinds? Rewarding mediocre shots on goal?

There's more to soccer in the sense that it is about creating chances to score, and when one comes, it's an amazing thing, eben if the shot fires wide. It's about appreciating what a nil-all draw meanings, and reflecting upon the missed opportunities, or why few opportunities were created at all.

And most AFL games can be as good as over by half-time, as a Geelong fan like yourself should know from the trip to Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Soccer ain't the only sport which might seem like the ball going endlessly back and forth. Take basketball. The games are too long, and the scoring is too frequent.

One thing Aussie Ball has going for it that no other sports has: The high mark, the speccy. An amazing thing to witness in all of sport.

Slipstream said:
My fav is Football. The kind played globally by millions. C'mon England! C'mon Toronto FC!

Also the most expensive sport on the planet and the pinnacle of motorsport - Formula One.

Future champion of F1 and rookie sensation, Britain's Lewis Hamilton at today's Monaco Grand Prix in Monte Carlo.
504oebc.jpg

687v9kp.jpg
Hamilton and Alonso - what a combination!

vlcsnap4071284dh0.jpg

Being a big race fan, I shouldn't demean soccer for being "boring", hehe. Still, unless it's top-level footy teams playing, most televised soccer matches have the excitement level of watching a bunch of insects trying to wade through a large trough of molasses.

Last edited:
1. Baseball
2. College Basketball
3. NFL Football
4. College Football
5. Pro Basketball
6. Golf

That's all that is relevant.

GibsonGirl said:
You like Toronto FC as well? I think for the most part MLS is football for pansies, but there's something different about Toronto FC. They have an almost European feel to them. Especially the fans. As someone aptly put it on another forum, BMO Field is like the Anfield of MLS. I still can't believe that at the match against Columbus Crew, the tiny section of travelling Toronto FC fans were the ones making the most noise. They have a long way to go until they're playing quality football (and honestly, no MLS team will EVER manage to match English Premiership quality, so I'm not expecting that) but I'll be supporting them until they get there. :up:

Toronto FC is really catching on in Canada for a team that's only played 8 matches and that goes down to the level of excitement created by the fans. They are the only team in MLS that has supporters that sing songs("We are sailing stormy waters, To be near you, to be free....") like they do in Europe so it certainly gives them a level of 'authenticity', if that's the right word, that was missing in MLS. Hopefully it will spread.

I think it further goes down to the fact that Canadians are perhaps more 'European' in their outlook and that translates to their interest in European sport or global sports like football, Formula 1, cricket, and rugby.

Toronto FC is catching on, 'cause it's about time Toronto had a football team. There are a lot of footy fans here from all leagues which is pretty amazing for a North American city. Hope they do well.

All people who think footy is boring probably only caught the premier league! :wink:

The sports I don't get at all are Baseball, Cricket and Golf, any motor racing sport (unless anyone knows one where the cars are all the same?)......sports I do enjoy watching:

Rugby
Football
NHL

1. Hockey
2. Football (soccer that is)
3. Baseball
4. Floorball (but only to play, not to watch)
5. The Olympics (basically anything)

Back
Top Bottom