What's the most overrated new song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roland of Gilead said:
Mercy will never be overrated. Its not even an A-side. If anything, it will always be underrated because it failed to make it as an A-side. The fact of the matter is that the world has yet to meet Mercy. Itunes hasn't even met Mercy.
B]

Of course Mercy will always be underrated to the general public because 99% of the general public will never hear it. I'm talking overrated amongst U2 fans and particular on this board. Here, Mercy is overrated big time.

I'm really glad to see Miracle Drug getting the thrashing on this thread that it deserves. Aside from the intro & crescendo at the end, it's almost totally unworthy of being on HTDAAB. There are a zillion b-sides that would've been better picks.

City of Blinding Lights is also another dullard - it's U2 doing "connect-the-dots" in the studio. Yawn.

Anyone bashing A Man And A Woman has a pitiful sense of romance. Edge's playing on this one is so gorgeous, and Larry & Adam have such a great funk/folk/rock groove on this one. Why do the great romantic hymns on U2's last few albums (the 6:56 Lemon, Playboy Mansion, A Man And A Woman) always get such short shrift? Unlike some other ascetic-minded fans, I love how sex and romance has come into U2's music over the last 15 years.

I'm gonna agree with the All Because of You'ers.
The first half of the song kinda makes me cringe a bit but the second half after the scream rocks. Maybe after I see it live for myself my opinion will change.
And yeah, Mercy too. It's a good B-side, but that's it.
In terms of underrated, I still find myself drawn to Love & Peace despite a friend pointing out it reminds him of Mystify by Inxs...

Go easy on MD!!!!! COme on you guys! Freedom has a scent like the top of a new born baby's head! Don't diss MD. It's my favourite on the album.

OVerrated: SYCMIOYO

Underrated: AMAAW

Most underrated: the Yahweh demo. I think it's better than anything on the actual HTDAAB, and that it's the best song they've played in the last 5 years. (That could change, though - one month ago I thought it was CFYT.)

The Yahweh demos is like One meets Bullet The Blue Sky = pure emotion meets pure power. What more could we ask from U2?

SYCMIOYO - I feel it's like the king with no clothes. Everyone's percieving it as this great, powerful piece of music, but musically and lyrically it just seems very average, IMO. I understand the meaning to the song and everything and how heartfelt it is. It is a pretty song, I just don't think it's nearly as good as what's written about it.

I think that on these boards, a lot of the songs have been overrated by us fans...it's just how we are, you know? We go ape-shit when the album hits and then start to question ourselves and the music as time wears on. That said, I've gotta' go with "Miracle Drug" as the song I feel has been the most overrated here on the boards.

I DO NOT think it's a bad song (I think it's a good one...if we're on a grading-scale, I give it a B-/C+ WHICH IS NOT BAD when compared to U2's full catalogue), but I really don't think that it's too great, either. The first time I heard it (and I've heard it over 100 times since...), I said, "Oh...well, that was okay. Nothing special, nothing too embarassing, but certainly not the classic that a lot of people seem to want it to be/think that it actually is." To each, his own...but I think that it's a "good" song through and through... I look forward to hearing it live, provided it sounds NOTHING like the shit-fest which that Radio 1 debacle was.

Miracle Drug sounds to much like Beautiful Day. City Of Blinding Lights(crap mix) & All Because Of You(sounds like its been done before) are overrated too.

dmesq said:
I'm really glad to see Miracle Drug getting the thrashing on this thread that it deserves. Aside from the intro & crescendo at the end, it's almost totally unworthy of being on HTDAAB. There are a zillion b-sides that would've been better picks.

City of Blinding Lights is also another dullard - it's U2 doing "connect-the-dots" in the studio. Yawn.

Anyone bashing A Man And A Woman has a pitiful sense of romance. Edge's playing on this one is so gorgeous, and Larry & Adam have such a great funk/folk/rock groove on this one. Why do the great romantic hymns on U2's last few albums (the 6:56 Lemon, Playboy Mansion, A Man And A Woman) always get such short shrift? Unlike some other ascetic-minded fans, I love how sex and romance has come into U2's music over the last 15 years.

Yep Have to agree with this although A Man And A Woman, a decent tune has been done a lot better when they did songs such as In A Little While & Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World which are kinda the same genre.

Most Overrated - DEFINATELY "Miracle Drug!" It's by no means a bad song (as others have sad), but definately not the classic various Interferencers were making it out to be, either....

Most underrated - "ONE STEP CLOSER" & "A MAN AND A WOMAN" Not sure which one I prefer, but they both tend to get the shaft by most everyone here (me included!).

What the hell is with people saying COBL? That IS the next Streets. Definitely the best song they've recorded since Streets and One Tree Hill. It beats absolutely everything on RAH, AB, Zooropa, Pop, and ATYCLB. Such a fucking amazing song.

I'd say a lot more but ... I'll bite my tongue for now.

Axver said:
What the hell is with people saying COBL? That IS the next Streets. Definitely the best song they've recorded since Streets and One Tree Hill. It beats absolutely everything on RAH, AB, Zooropa, Pop, and ATYCLB. Such a fucking amazing song.

Obviously not that impressed by 90's U2 then!:wink:

Axver said:

Um...yeah. Whatever you say! And COBL belongs on Rolling Stone's Top 10 Greatest Songs Of All Time list. And my name is Orson Welles.

City Of Blinding Lights goes nowhere, it's just bland & generically 'positive' in the same way that 'Unforgettable Fire' (the song, not the album) was. And I am SO sick of Bono's "the more you 'X,' the less you 'Y'" lyrical schemes, he did a bunch of it on All That You Can't Leave Behind too, and it's just empty and meaningless. (Hey, I've got one for him, too: "The more you preach, the less you make sense!!")

Mercy is the most overrated. Everyone here was freaking out when it got leaked, and yeah, it's a great song, I love it, etc., but it's way too long and unfinished. It has so much potential, though. I really hope they clean it up and release it on the next album.

Most underrated is SYCMIOYO. This is one of their four or five best ever!!!

dmesq said:

And I am SO sick of Bono's "the more you 'X,' the less you 'Y'" lyrical schemes, he did a bunch of it on All That You Can't Leave Behind too, and it's just empty and meaningless. (Hey, I've got one for him, too: "The more you preach, the less you make sense!!")

Yes! God, when will this end? That's my only complaint about Bono's lyrics lately: they're so repetitive. Didn't we already have "the more you know, the less you believe" on "Last Night on Earth"? What are the other examples? I know there are many others. Grrrrrrr....

Best lyrics on the new album: Yahweh

i just can't stand that chance-romance-distance rhyme.
it feels so washed up and used as many times as a 98-year old hooker.
adam's bass is more powerful on songs like vertigo,yahweh,cobl and others.
most underrated songs are yahweh,one step closer and fast cars

Numbology said:
i just can't stand that chance-romance-distance rhyme.
it feels so washed up and used as many times as a 98-year old hooker.
adam's bass is more powerful on songs like vertigo,yahweh,cobl and others.
most underrated songs are yahweh,one step closer and fast cars

Well, that's one of the less eloquent postings I've read in awhile, but I guess I take your point. But you could also say that about any of the lyrics in songs throughout U2's career - what Bono has always seemed to do (a vice to some, virtue to others) is to take cliches and turn them into something new - kind of like Andy Warhol's pop art - what Bono called "trying to find Jesus in the trash."

The supposed atrociousness of the chance/romance/distance rhyme in AMAAW has NOTHING on 'freedom has a scent/like the top of a newborn baby's head' or 'the more you see/the less you know' - if I were teaching poetry in a literature class I would give those lyrics a D+, and *only* if the student was showing promise otherwise. My god.

Oh, and I just read the latest Spin magazine cover story on U2, and Bono thinks "freedom has a scent/like the top of a newborn baby's head" are the BEST LYRICS ON THE ALBUM!?!?!?

Is it so impossible for Mr. multi-millionare manager Paul McGuinness to encourage Bono to head back to night school for a few quick crash courses in creative writing and genuinely poetic verse? It's so bizarre how often Bono's lyrics are peerless, and how at other times he comes off like he's trying to become the world's biggest (or laziest) Hallmark Card fan.

nothing on the new album is overrated. "a man & a woman" is definitely underrated...

City Of Blinding Lights may have been better if the damn song had been mixed properly! Whats this new fad of releasing songs in mono!:wink:

COBL is terrible, how can some people say that it's the next Streets....??? That is not nice for a song as good as Streets!

However, when I read all the threads, I think it's so good to see that everyone has a different opinion of the songs. Not 2 persons like the same and dislike the same songs. To me it means that they have done a very good album with lot's of good songs.

Back
Top Bottom